$269 is the MOST they can charge per room... but it usually isn't their normal offered rate. I know for certain the $199 rate was their normal offered rate for that weekend, both from the 1-800 number and online bookings.
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's like that guy with 6K posts said, it's a free enterprise system, so if someone can break/stab someone's back to make a dollar they can and will in most cases, at least in the coorperate world. It's wrong in my opinion and some things should be capped by the government, then others they should stay out of, but it's presently the opposite lol, so whatever :cry:

$269 is the MOST they can charge per room... but it usually isn't their normal offered rate. I know for certain the $199 rate was their normal offered rate for that weekend, both from the 1-800 number and online bookings.

I had the 169 rate as I was a single adult with kids. They changed my room to the 199 rate. (and included me in the block). Both are unfair as there were people who were at the top of the waiting list who were told the block was full before they even got a chance.

F-

ota_dad my 16'th birthday was the first year I got to Otakon as well! (Birthday was on the 9'th too so it was my first otakon on my b-day)

Well...I know a guy....lets say...Jay...and he called them up asking "Will this waiting list make sure I get a room at the Otakon block rate of $199?" at which they replied "yes". I do believe that makes it a verbal contract which is illegal to break in the state of Maryland? Pardon me if I'm wrong as I'm no lawyor but isn't that something which can get them in trouble with the Better (Greater?) Buisness Buiro?

For what it's worth, my experience with the BBB was more or less a "thanks for the info, we'll get around to it some day" type scenario. It's true if enough people complain about a single or several related companies the BBB will take action, but just sending 1 informative statement, sadly, usually is not worth the effort... that is unless you've bored and nothing to do then go ahead.

A pessimistic look perhaps... sorry =(

I've never had any problem with the actual service and I've been there the last several years. The only problem that seems to pop up is Otakon reservations. It's apparently really bad this year. But the Days Inn is the most sought after hotel just for the convenience, or so it seems. Granted, it's not as grand as some of the other hotels in the area but it has always suited our con attending purposes. And still is much higher in the cleanliness and general upkeep than more expensive hotels that I've stayed in for cons.

So those who've stayed here before.. is the service THAT bad? I'm doing some research and getting some pretty mediocre reviews.

as we've been saying before ru, but ya seem to not want to listen. earlier you posted that you dont care about the service and glad you got a cheaper rate then everyone else. the only reason people go to the days inn is because its 30 feet away from the con. they know that. they will provide you with borderline service.

such as broken air conditioners, i stayed there in 2005 and the room temp was 85-90 degrees with the air on full blast......

the sheraton however, with 5 people in the room, if you put the thermostat 60 degrees....it was that cold till you could see everyones breath

• 4 weeks later...

I got our group a room at the Days Inn from the list I was on and yeah it's at the $229 rate since the Otakon block is taken up.

We're keeping tabs on cancellations at the Holiday Inn since those went fast and when they quoted me the rate for the weekend not in the Otakon block I just about crapped my pants.

Well over $300 a NIGHT!!! Good thing I got Days Inn to send me my confirmation stuff by e-mail (lady forgot to the first time) so I have that ready to go when needed.

But from what I'm hearing I'm going to keep checking week to week and see if I can get the con rate since it sounds like I may have gotten hosed. But an extra $40 a day isn't going to kill us if we just get no more than 6 to our room. Four in the beds and two unlucky souls are on the floor. **lol**

and in a position to turn their con into a horror experience. takes one of those six people to do something their not supposed to and getting the whole group kicked out of their room.

not to mention whenever theres that amount of people in the room, they always seem to sneak the extras and guess who gets stuck paying the bill, the room holder.

in essence, they are actually paying more to stuff people in the room

sleep,time,space,peace and quiet

six people just adds to the odds of that happening, such as the ones that got into a brawl, destroyed the room, and spent the rest of the con prolly trying to find where to sleep instead of having fun

and in a position to turn their con into a horror experience. takes one of those six people to do something their not supposed to and getting the whole group kicked out of their room.

not to mention whenever theres that amount of people in the room, they always seem to sneak the extras and guess who gets stuck paying the bill, the room holder.

six people just adds to the odds of that happening, such as the ones that got into a brawl, destroyed the room, and spent the rest of the con prolly trying to find where to sleep instead of having fun

• 2 months later...

As if I didn't know that already. Read the bottom line in my sig.

When you overstuff, the trick is to NOT bring with you the stupid people that cause drama and destruction; those that order $50 room service without prior approval, steal other people's stuff, don't pay their share of the room bill up front (which is really the best idea, get their money before you even let them in the room).

It's not a matter of what you do in this case, it's HOW you do it. The hotel staff KNOWS you're overstuffing. Don't think they don't know. If you avoid pissing off management, then you'll be just fine.

All it really takes is leaving that "Do Not Disturb" sign on your doorknob all weekend and a smidge of tidyness, and your overstuffing experience can be a real blast.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.