does it ever bother you guys that so much is spent on just one room, even for those of a group of three or four? I hope I am not being rude about this, just wondering. Techincally the highest we have spent on a room for coventions was $139 a night for ACEN.

The price has been inching up every year, but that's to be expected. With 22,000+ con-goers to house and only so many hotels in the area, I think it's cool that the hotels even give us con rates at all. Any hotel in the heart of a major city is going to be costly. So it doesn't bother me so much. Split between 6 people (which I think is the most that will fit comfortably in one room), that works out $75-$150 for the 3 days depending on where you stay. If you're willing to put in 14 gofer hours, you make back about 2/3 of that and have a lot of fun in the process! I also know that I have almost a year to save up my money!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

screencap it please, because i want to see this 169 rate, considering when i try to book past that date im getting 299 for a regular room

When I looked, the $169/night rate was for single occupancy, ie one person. Add more people to the room and it goes up $10 per person. You can certainly try to sneak 6 people in at the $169 rate, but I'm willing to bet you'll all be sharing one key...

Well considering...the best available rate was 179 last year. This year it's 199, the same as the con rate. Not that big of a yearly jump considering the cost of everything is going up.

Especially when there are so many people who are willing to pay for the regular rate.

Maybe that's why there was such a big jump this year - if everyone's willing to pay the regular rate, there's no reason why the hotel should offer a discounted rate.

If you want to spend those nights sleeping like sardines with a bunch of strangers.

I think that's part of the fun! I've had great roommates over the years. You just have to be careful about who you choose. I think I sleep a total of about 5 hours over the 3 days, so the sleeping conditions are not all that critical to me, as long as I'm not sleeping on a bench.

So do the rest of us, but we also have other financial obligations to attend to. Meaning the more I have to spend on something, the less I have for something else.

As a graduate student who makes about two cents an hour, I can definitely relate to this - but that's one of the sad facts of life that we all have to deal with.

Especially when there are so many people who are willing to pay for the regular rate.

Maybe that's why there was such a big jump this year - if everyone's willing to pay the regular rate, there's no reason why the hotel should offer a discounted rate.

No one? Last year was the first time we ever even gt the con rate for our hotel, and we've been staying at the Days Inn for five years straight now. Don't assume we're all yuppies and getting our rates changed later, some of us are in fact, willing to pay the normal rate for the hotel we want most.

With 22,000+ con-goers to house and only so many hotels in the area, I think it's cool that the hotels even give us con rates at all. Any hotel in the heart of a major city is going to be costly.

No one? Last year was the first time we ever even gt the con rate for our hotel, and we've been staying at the Days Inn for five years straight now. Don't assume we're all yuppies and getting our rates changed later, some of us are in fact, willing to pay the normal rate for the hotel we want most.

First year (two back) I think the rate was $179/night and last year (missed it this year) was $145/night ... both regular rates. If you can get in at the right time, and/or are willing to pay in advance (still cheaper even if you count TVOM,) then regular rates will usually be better than con rates because those are designed to average out the early birds with those who come along later. Similar to Ryouko, next year will be my first year on con-rates, and only because I missed out at hitting the Sheraton-BCC at window-opening in the (wildly delusional and should have known better) hopes that the Days Inn would be cheaper. Just because I am willing to pay regular rates still doesn't mean I (or the rest of us) want anything to do with RACK rates though.

I also received a call from Days Inn. But talk about sticker shock! Nearly two weeks ago I was placed on a waiting list for the "Otakon Rooms" for $199 a night. I was also able confirm that I was #3 on this list.

Now I get this call from Days Inn and they said that those $199 rooms were sold out! They could only offer a $229 room rate! How can these rooms quickly sell out when I was the third person on the list and you could only reserve one room per call? Something is awfully fishy here.......

Now I get this call from Days Inn and they said that those $199 rooms were sold out! They could only offer a $229 room rate! How can these rooms quickly sell out when I was the third person on the list and you could only reserve one room per call? Something is awfully fishy here.......

That does seem odd since the normal price of the rooms were 199. Which happened to be the same as the con rate. Perhaps they placed you in the "business class" rooms?

Overall, whatever the Days Inn has done this year, it seems that they've screwed it up royally. I think they just took the courtesy phone list names just to keep people from calling and were never intending to give people the room block. I'd call back the national reservation line and see what rooms they have available. If the hotel was able to work out a room that's above the 199 cost, probably means they have rooms floating around on their system.

$199 is most certainly NOT the standard rate for the Days' Inn. Their standard weekend rate is $269; I think $229 is their standard weekday rate. You can sometimes get better rates but that's *always* the case.

I also received a call from Days Inn. But talk about sticker shock! Nearly two weeks ago I was placed on a waiting list for the "Otakon Rooms" for $199 a night. I was also able confirm that I was #3 on this list.

I also recieved a call as well (at around 11:30AM, today). They also offered me a room with a rate of $229 a night ( ARE THEY NUTS?!!). I told them that I've made other plans, so they can remove me from their list.

We'll look into that, but again -- that's capitalism at work, kids. I'm sure they sold out the 50-100 rooms we had available for our members pretty quickly, and once they've gone through the cheap rooms, they know damned well that our attendees want to stay there.

We'll look into that, but again -- that's capitalism at work, kids. I'm sure they sold out the 50-100 rooms we had available for our members pretty quickly, and once they've gone through the cheap rooms, they know damned well that our attendees want to stay there.

I can understand staff members getting priority for the rooms, but that should have been mentioned up front. All this time I thought I was waiting for the $199 Otakon room block. As a matter of fact, I made sure my name was on the waiting list was for that price.

I felt I did everything I could to get that price:

1) Calling exactly when reservations opened on the 15th of August, then finding out that they were not taking reservations because the "blocks weren't in the system."

2) Having my name placed #3 on the callback list for the Otakon block.

3) Asking the reservations department politely if they were doing callbacks at the beginning of each week just to make sure I did not miss the phone call.

Talk about bait and switch! Please note that I am not blaming anyone for this, (except maybe how the Days Inn handled this process) but how could you not be upset?

I also recieved a call as well (at around 11:30AM, today). They also offered me a room with a rate of $229 a night ( ARE THEY NUTS?!!). I told them that I've made other plans, so they can remove me from their list.

After hearing about this, I think that I made a very smart decision in calling the Holiday Inn 16 hours ago and making a reservation there.

Just something I'm sure not necessary but something I wanted to get out there regardless:

There are still King beds at the Radison and Doubles at Holiday Inn, at least I'm fairly sure... and plenty available at the Holiday Express about 1.5 miles from the BBC for Doubles at 149 I think or in that area... hope this helps anyone not wanting to pay Days Inns meiserish, opprotunist, A-Hole prices :cry:

Just recieved a call from Days Inn.

The Operator was clear in mentioning that this was for the Otakon 2008 block at $229 and asked me if I wanted it.

--------------------------------------

Now the operator said that we can "only have 4 people" in the room. How many people can we actually have in the room? And what's the biggest number of people you've crammed in a Days Inn room @ this hotel?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I've already written off the Day's Inn once their rates went up to $199 a night.

Once, going to Otakon over the years was a no-brainer for me. But since these rates (at all hotels), are going up in such a pace, I'm begining to wonder if it's even worth the hassle and expense in going, anymore?

Don't get me wrong. Otakon membership is still very well worth it's price for all the things this con can offer. It's just the other incidental expenses like the days off from work, travel, hotel, and parking costs (if any), that are killing me.

Otakon 2008 is already a go for me, but I'm no longer sure about 2009.

You'll face hotel and travel expenses no matter WHAT you do for your vacation, assuming you go anywhere at all.

I've said it before -- one of the best ways to save money at Otakon is to gofer enough hours to earn room reimbursement. That was part of why i originally started gofering.

And an even better way to save money is to be staff.

As staff, your room is covered (max 4 to a room) but of course there is the problem of not having much -- if any -- time to actually see the con. :)

Just recieved a call from Days Inn.

The Operator was clear in mentioning that this was for the Otakon 2008 block at $229 and asked me if I wanted it.

--------------------------------------

Now the operator said that we can "only have 4 people" in the room. How many people can we actually have in the room? And what's the biggest number of people you've crammed in a Days Inn room @ this hotel?

If they tell you 4 to a room, then that's how many people you're allowed to have sleeping in the room.

I've heard stories of up to a dozen people sharing a single one-bed hotel room, which I find rather appalling. But then I'm 37 and I really value my sleep. (Those "3 hours of sleep" nights at Otakon damn near killed me this year....)

I would never go over 7 in a two-bed room at the Days Inn, or 5 in a one-bed room. They get crowded really, really fast. With 7 in a room, there was literally no walking room.

I'm really glad we got our $199 rate, now.... this whole $229 con rate is crap.

I would never go over 7 in a two-bed room at the Days Inn, or 5 in a one-bed room. They get crowded really, really fast. With 7 in a room, there was literally no walking room.

I didn't get a call from them as of yet, and now that I see how the room rates had changed drastically, I'm glad I reserved a room at the Radisson again this year. It's only $10 dollars more than last year, but still waaaaay cheaper.

I got the call from Days Inn this morning, and they did explain that the rate was going to be $229 per night. I know that after taxes it's going to be upwards of $500 for the entire bill for the 2 nights I'm staying there. However, I'm looking at it this way: I've got almost a whole year to at least save up for the room, and I've got a full-time job to make that possible, so I gave them my info and reserved my room there for next year's convention. I know it's definitely not the $152/night I paid this year; it's more like the $229/night I paid in 2006 to stay 2 nights at the Holiday Inn.

I'm sure I can come up with the money for the hotel room in 11 months, roommates or not. I enjoyed staying close to the BCC by staying at the Days Inn this year, and I'd really like to have that luxury again.

It's best to call ahead shortly before the con and ask if bag check will be available. This year for A-kon, at the Adams Mark hotel, they failed to tell the entire convention that no bag checks would be admitted on Sunday, which caused quite an uproar.

It's best to call ahead shortly before the con and ask if bag check will be available. This year for A-kon, at the Adams Mark hotel, they failed to tell the entire convention that no bag checks would be admitted on Sunday, which caused quite an uproar.

That's really weird. I checked my reservation online, and could no longer pull it up. So I called their 1-800 number (the staff is so much more pleasant), and the lady kindly double checked all my reservation info, and it's still intact, $199 room rate and all. Was worried for a bit there. >_>;

I didn't make my reservation online though, I had initially made it through their 1-800 call center.

That's really weird. I checked my reservation online, and could no longer pull it up. So I called their 1-800 number (the staff is so much more pleasant), and the lady kindly double checked all my reservation info, and it's still intact, $199 room rate and all. Was worried for a bit there. >_>;

I didn't make my reservation online though, I had initially made it through their 1-800 call center.

Actually I didn't, the con rate was opened only recently. I made my reservations way back on the 15th at the normal rate. It's only a recent decision for the Days Inn to suddenly be charging $229 for their supposed "con rate". I never even mentioned Otakon when I called them for my reservations.

Actually I didn't, the con rate was opened only recently. I made my reservations way back on the 15th at the normal rate. It's only a recent decision for the Days Inn to suddenly be charging $229 for their supposed "con rate". I never even mentioned Otakon when I called them for my reservations.

$269 is the MOST they can charge per room... but it usually isn't their normal offered rate. I know for certain the $199 rate was their normal offered rate for that weekend, both from the 1-800 number and online bookings.

$269 is the MOST they can charge per room... but it usually isn't their normal offered rate. I know for certain the $199 rate was their normal offered rate for that weekend, both from the 1-800 number and online bookings.

I had the 169 rate as I was a single adult with kids. They changed my room to the 199 rate. (and included me in the block). Both are unfair as there were people who were at the top of the waiting list who were told the block was full before they even got a chance.

F-

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.