Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moobyghost

35mm

Just a small rant...

the movies were almost the same as last year. Since this is a Asian Culture con as well as anime, why not show some other flicks. I would love to see these on the big screen:

Zatoichi (any of them, but probably the newest)

Suicide Club

Ichi the killer

Hero (jet li)

Oldboy (this would rock so hard)

etc.

I mean as much as I love Myazaki movies, can we get some variety next year?

Just a small rant...

the movies were almost the same as last year. Since this is a Asian Culture con as well as anime, why not show some other flicks. I would love to see these on the big screen:

Zatoichi (any of them, but probably the newest)

Suicide Club

Ichi the killer

Hero (jet li)

Oldboy (this would rock so hard)

etc.

I mean as much as I love Myazaki movies, can we get some variety next year?

Believe it or not, some of the movies we've had in the past simply aren't available right now in 35mm. Prints are expensive, and sometimes they are poorly handled. A few films we've requested have few enough copies that "the only decent looking print" was in use elsewhere at the time of the con.

Anime in particular seldom gets 35mm releases in the US -- and it was only with the backing of the US distributor, Sony Pictures, that we were able to score a premiere of Paprika for the NCBF. If memory serves, we had to grab it from Japan directly.

Fact is it's simply harder to score the prints, there are fewer of them being made now, and they're not always available when we want them.

However -- we premiered Hero and Zatoichi (as in, before their theatrical release) and I think we did Oldboy when it was released, too.

And this year we had Metropolis, Appleseed, Hidden Fortress, a handful of new Viz Pictures titles (though I hear that at least one of them came through on disc rather than 35mm print), Speed Racer, Steamboy, and the FMA movie.

The hard truth is that if you want more availability of 35mm stuff, you'll need to start supporting it in theatres. The art house places are dying a painful, slow death, and if they go, you can kiss 35mm goodbye eventually because nothing new will be released there.

Didn't Metropolis play last year? Hidden Fortress it out on dvd. I did not see Paprika.

They may have shown movies like Hero, Oldboy, and Zaotichi in the past, but they should reshow them every few years. Not everyone has been to otakon ever year. Some of us have only attended the last few. I think it would be time again to reshow them.

As for arthouse pictures, I support them when I can. I do not live in a city, so that makes it tougher. I do buy the dvds and merch when I can.

When was the last time Akira or Ninja Scroll was shown?

I think you may have missed the point of what he was saying.

The point is despite best intentions sometimes it's simply not feasible to obtain certain 35mm films that you and others may want to see due to either their already being in use or budgeting due to the lack of support in theatres and we can blame a large portion of that on those bloody people who record the film bootleg or other means and upload it for people to obtain from P2P programs.

Hi guys!

It's Brad from Metro Tech. We set up the 35mm theatre.

I have another post elsewhere also.

Anyway, we got a LOT of compliments about the movie theatre this year. Thanks. We were lucky to get what we did (Titles), and everything ran very well in the theatre. We did have to do some repair work on "Hidden Fortress" to make it presentable, but the print (number 1) was many years old after all.

Everything screened well. We got some really cool and rare prints this year, and a lot of people in the audience have not experienced some of the various titles on the "Big Screen" with a huge sound system before. We did 16 movies in 3 days from 8:30am - till after midnight. We even squeezed in a 4th movie on Sunday.

We had one of the largest working movie theatres the run of the Con. The crowds were great also. So INTO IT.

Post your ideas for next year now, so it may happen for next year.

Take Care!

Brad Lust

Operations Manager

Metro Technical Services Projection and Sound

Laurel, MD.

brad@metrotechnical.com

Hi guys!

Anyway, we got a LOT of compliments about the movie theatre this year. Thanks. We were lucky to get what we did (Titles), and everything ran very well in the theatre. We did have to do some repair work on "Hidden Fortress" to make it presentable, but the print (number 1) was many years old after all.

Everything screened well. We got some really cool and rare prints this year, and a lot of people in the audience have not experienced some of the various titles on the "Big Screen" with a huge sound system before. We did 16 movies in 3 days from 8:30am - till after midnight. We even squeezed in a 4th movie on Sunday.

We had one of the largest working movie theatres the run of the Con. The crowds were great also. So INTO IT.

Take Care!

Brad Lust

Operations Manager

Laurel, MD.

brad@metrotechnical.com

Hi guys!

Take Care!

Brad Lust

Operations Manager

Laurel, MD.

brad@metrotechnical.com

I am not complaining about how the 35mm was ran. I think you all did an excellent job. It is just the movie choices, in my, my friends, and a few other random peoples opinions, were not what we would have like to seen.

Since you read this thread then you know what kind of movies I would like to see next year.

Let me ask you, how do you acquire your prints?

Let me ask you, how do you acquire your prints?
We sacrifice many lambs to the industry and hope they return our emails. :)

We have established contacts with some of the distribution houses (Allied, Manga Entertainment, etc), as well as asking each industry rep if they'd like to premiere something at Otakon. And they're usually made aware of all our specs (theater sizes, formats available, sound setup... etc). Sometimes they offer the same titles they did last year, and sometimes they pull something new out of thin air.

We also search for and request new and amazing things too! Sometimes things work out the way we want... and then there are others where we screen Jin-Roh again. Which, by the way, of all the years I've worked Otakon I haven't had the chance to watch Jin-Roh on the big screen. *le Sigh*

Mad props to the MetroTech guys for running the best 35MM house around. Next year, lets do us some world premieres! :)

Whooo, that would be freakin awesome if Otakon's 35mm theater could have some world premieres in 2008!!!! Here's to hoping!!!! *crosses fingers*

Whooo, that would be freakin awesome if Otakon's 35mm theater could have some world premieres in 2008!!!! Here's to hoping!!!! *crosses fingers*

Our contacts are working on something. This year was a dry year for available programming. I hope that next year will prove to be better.

Our contacts are working on something. This year was a dry year for available programming. I hope that next year will prove to be better.

Awesome!!!! :)

Yeah, 35mm isn't the easiet thing to come by. T_T Still, I actualy liked most of the lineup. Not nessecarily grand, but I spent more time in the 35mm than any of the other viewing rooms this year.

Of course, if suicide club could be obtained in 35mm, it would be very enjoyable indeed. :twisted: Still, won't place my hopes too high. 35mm room is one of my personal favorite places at the con, and it's very well run.

There is a "35mm Department" within Otakon that gets the movies. They do the "Software" / programming part. It is a complicated process. Some titles are rare, and in short supply. They may only have 1 or 2 prints in circulation, and the title might not be available in the Con. timeframe. A bunch of people work really hard to get the best that they can.

Baby steps, please?

I'm thinking that many of the old films won't be available on digital...

Yeah, 35mm isn't the easiet thing to come by. T_T Still, I actualy liked most of the lineup. Not nessecarily grand, but I spent more time in the 35mm than any of the other viewing rooms this year.

Of course, if suicide club could be obtained in 35mm, it would be very enjoyable indeed. :twisted: Still, won't place my hopes too high. 35mm room is one of my personal favorite places at the con, and it's very well run.

I will do my best to get those prints. The biggest problem with 35mm prints is that if the prints go to an inexperienced movie house or they go to a movie house that does not care about the print and splice it and place it onto one reel the prints get damaged and thus every time they are shown they get worse and worse until the company either refuses to send it out or the print needs upwards of $10,000 worth of repairs. Companies trust us with their rare prints for we do not do this damagem, but never the less some less then ethical people get their hands on the prints and do things that damage them and make it so others cannot use them. Which is why I need as many requests for titles as possiable for this year I am shooting for an amazing lineup. More to come. Please see the 35mm thread in the 2008 Convention Section of the forums for more information.

Psst.. why do they call it 35mm? =N00B=

Here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35mm