Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigdaddykev

Otakon Dance 2007 Comments (see 2008 post 4 suggestions)

I'm a staff member of the Otakon Rave and I'm starting this post to take any and all comments from this years Rave. Feel free to post them here or send me messages. I would also appreciate it if people could send me links to other websites that are discussing the Otakon 2007 rave so that I can review those as well.

All constructive posts will be answered.

**Common things to avoid**

1) Don't ask about getting specific DJ's. We do not pay our DJ's as this is a volunteer event. If you have a DJ you want at the con find his/her email or myspace and start spamming him/her now and see if they can donate their time to Otakon.

2) Glowstick String Policy - not going to change. Its a safety issue and we have to stay w/ the no strings policy.

3) CONFUNK - We are currently looking into what we can do about that but since we cannot spray the area down during the con there isn't much we can do so just know that alternatives are being looked into.

Thanks

Hello Mr. Otakon staff member. Please put your full name in your sig. and applicible departments (Dance? Spec Ops?). Your vice chair and various other bbs staff monkies thank you. ;)

-sam

I never really quite got why people liked dancing in the dark. Every year, I keep hearing/reading people say it should have been darker.

I never really quite got why people liked dancing in the dark. Every year, I keep hearing/reading people say it should have been darker.

I could explain it to you, but then where's the fun in that?

I sorta like being able to see the dancer, instead of just the bright, shiny adornments moving around. The whole circle mentality, I suppose.

Hell yeah I remember you. You and your boys kicked ass like usual. I only wish I had more time to watch. Anything different dance can do to help out you and your crew just let me know!

My suggestion would be to curve the bass down a little... Seriously, if I was near the doorways in and out of the smaller room I could feel the bass pounding on my chest, so I certainly knew I had to stay out of there.

My suggestion would be to curve the bass down a little... Seriously, if I was near the doorways in and out of the smaller room I could feel the bass pounding on my chest, so I certainly knew I had to stay out of there.

if you go to any rave or club, the bass is always ALWAYS gonna be bumpin...ive performed at many clubs nations, fur, love, mosaic, Sky lounge, modern..the list goes on...and they always have the bass up so that it vibrates ur bones, i think my hearing is goin bad from all of it! hahahah

As far as Bass goes it will be always be loud and plentiful especially in the side room, AKA "The Drum & Bass" room. We currently do try to make the sound as pleasant as possible and the main room gives us a lot more freedom than the D&B does. Rest assured we try our best every year to set these rooms up w/ the highest sound quality for the $$ that we can get.

I didn't spend much time at the Saturday night dance ("rave" implies the presence of drugs, yanno :D), but there is one thing that could and should be improved on. That "second" room where everyone was crammed together with only one exit (there ought have been one on both sides of the room)...could...not...breathe! Too crowded and not enough ventilation. I'm surprised there weren't casualties due to the lack of oxygen and elevated temperature in that room. But that needs to be addressed.

Hell yeah I remember you. You and your boys kicked ass like usual. I only wish I had more time to watch. Anything different dance can do to help out you and your crew just let me know!

Sorry to say but the side room is always a crammed hot box and every year we try to make it as bearable as possible. With the space we have there isn't much we can do about it if we want multiple DJ's at the same time. We will continue to look into other spacing options though. Hopefully if we get enough Otakon fan support we can ask for a bigger space or more funding to fix this issue.

As far as the breakers well there isn't much I can do about people that are dancing and wanting to form their own circle. Should I put the same restriction on the number of non-breaker dance circles on the main floor and glow stick circles as well? The spontaneity of a Rave is what makes most people come in and if we make things too structured no one will partake. I will however pass your idea of a stage along and see what my fellow staffers think.

I'm also sorry that your definition of a rave implies drugs. To me it implies the type of dance floor atmosphere and music that will be played. I use the term to easily suggest that our dance is of a bass dropping techno flavor with a lower light atmosphere and visual effects. To call it just a dance would make people question whether its Ballroom, Hip Hop, Latin Jazz, or some other style.

Hello. I am a Drum and Bass DJ who is based in Hong Kong, but I attended Otakon last year and am interested in donating my time for playing sometime. I think it's a cool gig you guys got going on and I would like to support it. Who should I contact?

My HD crashed recently, but I still have some old mixes online at http://aeonizm.net/synertia I recommend the Summer Mix, it's the best and maybe the only one that works at this time.

Enjoy.

Synertia - the email address for DJ submissions is otakon_djs@yahoo.com or you can go to http://www.myspace.com/otakurave

I'm acting as a medium to my department head who makes all the decisions so feel free to send stuff to those previous locations or at my information below.

Thanks in advance for wanting to donate your time!!

I'm also sorry that your definition of a rave implies drugs. To me it implies the type of dance floor atmosphere and music that will be played. I use the term to easily suggest that our dance is of a bass dropping techno flavor with a lower light atmosphere and visual effects. To call it just a dance would make people question whether its Ballroom, Hip Hop, Latin Jazz, or some other style.

bigdaddykev wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rave

I like to go with a more definative source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rave

But none the less...anyone else have anything else about the dance this year? Links? Issues? I'm your voice to the people in charge of it so use me.

I know that there are some people really interested in having a formal of some kind and I think it would be a great addition. I have heard that other conventions have had them and they have went very well. I'm going to T-MODE in a few weeks and they are having a Final Fantasy Ball. I can't wait to see how it goes.

Anyway...if there seemed to be a large following for the idea of having a formal of some kind, would it be a possibility at Otakon in the future??

bigdaddykev wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rave

I like to go with a more definative source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rave

But none the less...anyone else have anything else about the dance this year? Links? Issues? I'm your voice to the people in charge of it so use me.

'Raves' by dictionary definition may not have mention of drug use, but the stigma is there, and that's what counts with crowd control. When I was a kid getting into edm it was one of the first things I learned -- there are a lot of drugs at raves. I've heard a couple of people complain about 'seeing' other people under the influence of party favors, maybe this is a problem that could have been prevented had it not been labeled as a 'rave' from the beginning. I figure the point is to prevent 100% of the problem (not 99%), so maybe a change of name could still help that. I don't work security so your guess is probably going to be more accurate than mine as to how bad the situation is or isn't, but I've been taught a few good ways to differentiate between drug use and general silliness at dance events and I haven't seen any signs of drug use when wading through the crowd.

That being said, I can't really imagine what could be improved about the event besides the side room's temperature and smell. The sound in the main room is incredible (very clear and balanced!), the staff is polite and the people seem to be pumped from open to close no matter who's playing. It doesn't get much better than that! Maybe some free earplugs to give out to the people who are 15 going on 50? :wink:

Re: DJ Submissions -- I'm pretty sure that Hope doesn't start accepting demos until a few months before Otakon just to keep everything organized. Your best bet would be to wait until she goes with her regular routine and posts on the buzzlife.com forums to let everyone know when she's ready to start listening to demos. You may also want to join the board as well as the forums on dogsonacid.com and groovanauts.com, then post up your demos for people to review.

These 3 websites are the hub for dance music in the MD/DC/VA area. Buzzlife is probably the most heavily regulated of the 3 (not nearly as strict as this site though), DOA being the least (you can do & say almost anything there). DOA is all dnb, but it's a bit more of a global community whereas Buzzlife and Groovanauts are more popular in this area. Most of the promoters and club managers that I know in the central east coast area look to the Buzzboard for more underground styles of edm, whereas Groovanauts seems to cater more to the mainstream trance and progressive community. It's an accurate (IMO) reflection of the kinds of parties posted and people who post on each, but there is a lot of cross-posting between the boards.

...whew! That was a good bit more than I'm used to typing on here! :-X

Thank you very much for the information. This year I'm trying to extend dance staff out to the public and get the reactions from them to make a better dance (even though we all like it the way it is). The additional websites will be a great help w/ getting more info and spreading the word of Otakon through the community.

I'm also trying to act on Hope's behalf this year and try to help her w/ some of the work with the PR aspect of things. Trust me when I say she is still 100% gonna run the show and I by no means mean to do anything regarding that except to get the fans more pumped for the dj's and getting the dj's they want would increase our numbers and increasing numbers is good for the con and whats good for the con is good for Dance staffs budget and thus more cool stuff at dance :lol:. <---sorry for the massive run on sentence but I'm trying to get ready for work as I type.

It was amazing how many people didn't know the dj's that were playing last year or when the times for the dance was. I see this as a major problem and I'm gonna do my best to get the word out this year as early as possible and the music in the right peoples hands.

As far as drug use...yeah we are against that 100%. We (I) should not call it a rave but instead clarify it with the wording of a Dance with a Techno based theme and music. The staffers (including myself) do not tolerate any kind of drugs at the con and never will.

With that said back to discussions of the 07 dance....

Maybe some sort of fan?

Like, is it possible for you guys to put up some bigass fans at the top of the room, or something? Sounds stupid, but it may be able to work.

Or maybe put AC on full blast; it was really hot and stuffy at the rave.

I really liked how speedy water was being put out though, and cups too.

Rave was awesome :)

Just a guess, or at least from my perspective, there are several reasons. One might love to get out there and put Jackie Chan and Richard Simmons to shame but not have people stare in the process, if it's pretty dark then they can cut loose and enjoy themselves better. I mean again just me but when I go to rave I "go to rave", not go to watch others rave, to each his/her own tho.

Another possible reason is that you can easily associate darkness with mystery and/or a state of tranquility. In a room with enough lights going that you can see everyone within 100 feet of you, it just takes away from the "rave experience", but if it's fairly dark with crazy base going and you lose yourself in a crazy phycho dance or something, then hey that's what it's all about.

well just my 2cp

This dude speaks the truth.

My Brother, you understand the mystery of the Rave.