Otakon Rave 2008(suggestions only see 2007 post 4 comments)

I'm a staff member of the Otakon Rave and I'm starting this post to take any and all comments/suggestions for next years Rave. Feel free to post them here or send me messages.

All constructive posts will be answered.

**Common things to avoid**

1) Don't ask about getting specific DJ's. We do not pay our DJ's as this is a volunteer event. If you have a DJ you want at the con find his email or myspace and start spamming him/her now and see if they can donate their time to Otakon.

2) Glowstick String Policy - not going to change. Its a safety issue and we have to stay w/ the no strings policy.

3) CONFUNK - We are currently looking into what we can do about that but since we cannot spray the area down during the con there isn't much we can do so just know that alternatives are being looked into.

Thanks

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to ask this, was there an age restriction? Me and my sister went for Friday but we only allowed her one cause she was only 17. Plus she is young still and we dont want her dancing crazy too much with those who dance crazy and lose their minds.

As far as a breathalyser goes I can look into that but I'm not sure the legal parts of it as you can refuse a breathalyser from a cop when they pull you over for a ticket.

There is no age restriction. As long as you have a hologram on your Convention Badge (which means you actually paid for your admission) and the year is correct you have a valid entry ticket. All we ask is to see it upon entry. I do suggest that most people use common sense for underage people and take care of them. I have been the bodyguard for numerous of my friends who wanted to go to concerts and such just so they could experience it and have a fun time. I applaud you for your judgement but no there is no age limit.

as far as legal part about refusing, its otakons choice what to do with them.

if they refuse the breathlyzer then they leave, plain and simple.

if i was plain sober and someone came up to me and asked me to blow in the tube, i'd do it just to prove im at 0.00

there are a bunch of legalities that Otakon would be faced with if they did a breathalyzer. All you need is common sense. If someone looks trashed, show a staff member.

Right of refusal is a wonderful thing. If any club, bar and lounge in Baltimore has the right to remove patrons at will, I would imagine Otakorp has every legal right to remove someone for any given reason. :)

Right of refusal is a wonderful thing. If any club, bar and lounge in Baltimore has the right to remove patrons at will, I would imagine Otakorp has every legal right to remove someone for any given reason. :)

You are correct sir! We do have that right, and we exercise our ability to remove folks (however much it pains us to). However, only the Con Chair and his designated folks can actually boot people from the con (IE revoke membership and ban). Staff members will not ask for your badge, so don't get scammed!

The breathalyzer thing... um.. totally not worth it. I would rather Otakon staff use the "Visibly Intoxicated Person" test.

and yet sam, i bring exhbit a again, the drunken sunny d guy, he was staggerring around the rave still after i left after i reported him, if they guy wasent visibily intoxicated then what is visible intoxicated?

and yet sam, i bring exhbit a again, the drunken sunny d guy, he was staggerring around the rave still after i left after i reported him, if they guy wasent visibily intoxicated then what is visible intoxicated?

I'll get back to you on that guy. I wasn't immediately tied to the dance incidents as there was another incident involving BCPD I had to take care of. ^^

maybe open up the DJ process by having all applicants' demos on the website and the DJs can be voted by congoers

perhaps one big rave instead of a crowded hallway and side room?

more cool lights and/or fog

Gordon and Otakuj89 those are great ideas. Everyone always asks if they can get some music from the DJ's and I'll see what we can do.

Having the DJ's voted upon is a great idea and I'll bring this to my department head. The only issue is that these DJ's volunteer their time and its hard to get enough of them to commit early enough to give people time to listen and then vote. I do think its a good idea and I'll try to make it happen.

As far as the 2 rooms vs 1 we are making that a major part of our discussions this year. Having 2 rooms allows us to open the rave up to multiple styles of Techno and also allows us to have 2 DJ's playing at the same time. We try every year to steal more space from the convention but I think they like where we are. I will see what I can do about getting more effects and look into what we can do within the BCC rules.

Keep the suggestions flowing folks. I'm making a running list and if you want your change to be made it wont happen unless you post it. Hell tell your friends to log onto the board and post if they never have before. This con is for you guys btw....staff members are just bigger fans that want to ensure this party happens every year.

maybe open up the DJ process by having all applicants' demos on the website and the DJs can be voted by congoers

I'm gonna hide my staff badge for a second and make my own suggestion. Even if it'd be hard to get enough DJs to commit early enough to let everyone vote on them, maybe we could post their demos online before the con so everyone would have an idea of what kind of music we were in for.

I'm gonna hide my staff badge for a second and make my own suggestion. Even if it'd be hard to get enough DJs to commit early enough to let everyone vote on them, maybe we could post their demos online before the con so everyone would have an idea of what kind of music we were in for.

I love this idea.

I love this idea.

With my many badges on, I'd be happy to support something along these lines too, as long as all the appropriate paperwork and licenses are in place.

Needless to say I'm not going to be the one tracking them down.

That's a job for the DJ's.

I'll propose this to Hope and see if we can make this a common practice for the DJ's to get onto the Rave. Thanks for the support Matt as I'm sure we will need your help in getting things on the site.

Fellow staffers feel free to hide your badges for a second and definitely tell me honestly how you feel. Anyone who can attend the rave should use this forum to say whatever they want. I would love to hear from fellow staffers cause if you take the time to come to the Rave after a long day of work we (dance staff) should do our best to return the favor for all the stuff you guys do during the day/evening.

Just to be clear about what I said above, probably the only way this will make it all why though to approval (as it will also have to go through a legal review) is if the DJ's themselves procure all the licenses for the music used in their demos that they wish to offer online, and do so in such a way that we are permitted to broadcast them on the internet in the DJ's name.

Needless to say all fees associated with this will likely have to be the responsibility of the individual DJ, as they would be assuming the liability.

Another Suggestion from me would be more hip hop tracks/mixes/djs.

I heard plenty of techno mixes and I realize it's a rave so that's a given but it was a little hard getting into all of the music played though I still had fun especially when the Peanut Butter Jelly Time remix started but yeah that's my little 2 cents.

I didn't have any problems with the music, except that the main room isn't really my style. But I solved that by sticking to the smaller room when I could. Plus, the smaller room is more crowded and darker and more fun to dance in. Unfortunately, that's where the problems arose. Honestly, a lot of the problems in that room could maybe be solved by just setting up a few more fans about the room or cranking the AC.

Both as a staffer and one of the DJs, I can say that more than a few DJs do not spin their own original remixes/music, so licensing would be a HUGE issue with posting demos of them online.

Also, a few DJs would have trouble if they are signed to labels and try to have their music posted online (myself included). I just see the whole online vote system as having way too much red tape to cut through.

I believe the current selection process has/is doing well, there is a large variety of styles and music and the DJs are very talented. The crowds seem to enjoy themselves and the place gets packed. A well run request-music thread on the forums I think would be sufficient.

Hrm... was just thinking... Even if you don't have breathalyser there, maybe consider asking Baltimore if one or a pair of police would consider standing by the rave during their shift. It would certainly make people think twice, if even for a moment, of slipping anything illegal into the rave or dinking more than they should. Also, if they had a breathalyser on hand, then it would be their perogative to use it if they think they spot anyone over intoxicated or any underage drinkers.

Just a slight thought.

if you cant link the dj mixes directly, maybe just a link to their website or myspace so people can do their own digging

if not on the official otakon page, you can start a forum topic where DJs can request to be added to the first post. once a certain number of djs has been reached, a poll topic can open, and people can see the candidates, their websites, genres they play, etc and then vote at the top. after 2 or 3 months, the top 16 votes (or however many) are selected to play. if some cant make it at that point, they go on to the next most voted dj

of course this is all speculation :D

Not sure if I should suggest this here or start a new topic, but what about having a formal as well. Maybe substitute it for one nights rave or hold it in another area??

This would be the place to post it as I'm taking in all dance based requests.

I'm seriously liking the idea of DJ promos and I will see what we can do with that.

As far as vendors go we can't sell anything without a license and anything food/drink would be Armark (spelling?) territory. As far as earplugs and glowsticks I'll see if we can get some Otakon based gear for those. I'll try to make sure there is a piece in the guide about buying those things in the dealers room beforehand though as this is your best bet.

As far as a afterparty goes I believe we push our limit w/ how late we can keep the convention open each night as is but I will see what I can do about that. I was asked a couple times during the dance if we had a afterparty so I think that would be decent idea. I would need to know more specifics on what else you would like at the afterparty and the main issue would be cost.

prolly end up like the otakon bridge party on youtube..

So like, if anyone knows those folks, and knows names, please feel free to contact me. PM me or use the contacts page and drop down to something. Any messages concerning me will eventually get to me. :)

I don't want to say "rat out your buddies" .... but rat out your buddies. 'Cuz seriously, I want Otakon to stay in Baltimore for many years to come.

• 3 weeks later...

Something that might be really cool to try next year is a meet & greet with the DJs sometime before the dance Friday or Saturday afternoon after sound checks are done, before the first DJ goes on. It would be really cool to meet a lot of the con goers and people that are into the music, and people might appreciate being able to ask questions to some of the veteran DJs to find out their experience with the music & partying, favorite animes, or whatever else people come up with. Socializing is fun. :-)

I'll see what we can do about meet and greets. Since the DJ's donate their time we really have no right to request that they show up at a specific time to meet people but it doesn't hurt to ask them :).

Regarding Confunk - we can't give out deoderant or spray anything due to convention rules and in respect to people with allergies. I'm not 100% sure what the convention policy is but I know its a no no.

Regarding specific DJ requests -- feel free to hunt down some info and pass it along or email the dj. All of our dj's volunteer their time so ask your favorite dj to do so and we'd love to hear his/her mixes at the dance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i was hoping there would be a freestyle dance competion, cause while watching some of the con footage from this year, i really loved the dancing i saw.

One item that has been suggested by some of the dancers that we bring in is the abilty to use the dance floor early before the rave to warm up/dance unaccosted by other security people. I'll bring your suggestion up with my director and see what we can come up with.

Keep the good ideas coming folks!!

One item that has been suggested by some of the dancers that we bring in is the abilty to use the dance floor early before the rave to warm up/dance unaccosted by other security people. I'll bring your suggestion up with my director and see what we can come up with.

Keep the good ideas coming folks!!

what is the space used for?(this is my first time going)

Last year the dealers room line was in that space, but that clears out well before the rave starts. Autographs are also in that area, the time that they finish varies depending on who's signing and when it starts. Don't forget, we also have to set up for the rave before it can start and having congoers in the area while that happens only slows things down.

You're always welcome to find an area in another part of the con that's out of the way to warm up before the rave if we can't work it out to open the dance floor before the rave starts.

So its not exactly rave material, but it is an anime and japan convention, how about getting some Para Para going in a side room? Perhaps a little instruction in panels could go on as well, but I know that's not your purview.

There's usually a Para Para panel at some point over the weekend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.