Otakon Rave 2008(suggestions only see 2007 post 4 comments)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah really. Throwing out power moves in the middle of a crowded area without designating ample room is basically begging for an injury from either some innocent raver or yourself.

Can't say i've ever heard of a con rave having someone get L kicked in the head or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Lr70lwaVg...ted&search=

nah im just kidding :D

currently, people make room, but cant say the general IQ of the con crowd is exactly getting higher as parents seem to think conventions are a new way of dropping of their kids and letting them freak out

I agree with Neko, circles are gonna form everywhere regardless.

Circles can be cool but I've heard they can be the end of a rave. Because that means about 2 or 3 people in that entire huge mass of people are actually dancing. ;.;

I used to think they were cool, then I heard it from another point of view and I thought "wow.. circles suck." xD

• 4 weeks later...

hey whattup this is dj dan da lion from saturday night 2007 :)

I had a great time, and so many of these ideas are great. I agree with maiku that the voting process has alot of difficulties that deal with licensing, and given the attendees im not sure an online form could hold up to DDOS or some nastiness like that... seems like a can of worms and every year the DJs are great so why break it.

Personally, I don't have any issues with my mixes being put up and I have some on my myspace if you want to peep them. as far as I know, I don't mix anything from RIAA labels plus fair use etc etc. I don't know if otakon wants to officially sponsor this kind of stuff though as they are a corporate entity and the last thing any of us wants is to see it get sued out of existance over something like this.

The idea to have a chillout lounge IS SO GREAT. honestly, the karaoke room is a cool place to chill but it can get boring and hard to hear conversations. Maybe during the dance it can be made into a lounge where people can chill, and some medium-level shibuya-kei drifts through the air... anyway, just an idea and of course i nominate myself as a potential dj and im sure other otakon djs have similar proclivaties.

meeting the DJs would be dope, I would definitely participate if I am invited again. I tried to talk to people before and after my set and the response was great, thank you all for being so positive and having a good time at that early hour

peace!

chillout lounge=makeout lounge, i bet you 500 dollars :lol:

Eva speaks the truth, it'd make even more chances for us staffers to tell people to put their pants back on. :P

It's an interesting idea and I'm not really against it, but I do see some major drawbacks, mainly logistical and security related.

The biggest problem I can foresee with a lounge is that it would likely need to be in close proximity of the other rooms. Given the lack of intensity of most downtempo/dubstep/ambient genres, there would be a high amount of sound pushing through the walls and disrupting the atmosphere -- it would be pretty difficult to relax and get away from the craziness of the rest of the party with BOOM BOOM BOOM vibrating the entire room.

That being said, if there's a room towards the back of the hallway that's open the lounge idea could be feasible. Maybe get a smaller package for the main room sound system (truthfully, it's a little bit larger than what's needed) and put that into getting another sound system for the 2nd side room.

I doubt it's going to happen next year, but it is a nice thought. :lol:

The biggest problem I can foresee with a lounge is that it would likely need to be in close proximity of the other rooms. Given the lack of intensity of most downtempo/dubstep/ambient genres, there would be a high amount of sound pushing through the walls and disrupting the atmosphere -- it would be pretty difficult to relax and get away from the craziness of the rest of the party with BOOM BOOM BOOM vibrating the entire room.

That being said, if there's a room towards the back of the hallway that's open the lounge idea could be feasible. Maybe get a smaller package for the main room sound system (truthfully, it's a little bit larger than what's needed) and put that into getting another sound system for the 2nd side room.

You hit the logistical side of the problem, it's a matter of finding a space that's close enough to the rave so that people will actually want to go to it, yet far enough away so that the sound won't carry into the room.

It's also a setup issue; the only room that we have set up as a lounge-type area is the Ota-cafe, which is on the opposite end of the BCC and I have a feeling that most people aren't going to want to walk from one end of the BCC to the other to chill for a little bit. Rearranging a room is an option, but that'll take time and money (the BCC staff has to change out the furniture in a room so we have to pay for their time plus use of the furniture, plus their time to set the room back to its original use). AFAIK, Ota-cafe is very happy with their location so moving them isn't really an option either.

You hit the logistical side of the problem, it's a matter of finding a space that's close enough to the rave so that people will actually want to go to it, yet far enough away so that the sound won't carry into the room.

It's also a setup issue; the only room that we have set up as a lounge-type area is the Ota-cafe, which is on the opposite end of the BCC and I have a feeling that most people aren't going to want to walk from one end of the BCC to the other to chill for a little bit. Rearranging a room is an option, but that'll take time and money (the BCC staff has to change out the furniture in a room so we have to pay for their time plus use of the furniture, plus their time to set the room back to its original use). AFAIK, Ota-cafe is very happy with their location so moving them isn't really an option either.

Now there's another thought -- who says that the lounge has to be part of the dance event? A chillout DJ works perfectly well earlier in the day and can go somewhere without a dancefloor essentially as background music. A little Portishead playing while I sit down to eat or take a break from running around at 4pm would actually be very, very nice. People tend to focus on forming in small groups and socializing during the day though, so maybe it would be a waste lost in the background of all the chatter. I'd personally love it, though, as would a large number of my friends. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt it's going to happen next year, but it is a nice thought. :blink:

I think using the karaoke room would be a great way to get this set up for next year. It's all the way on the other side of the convention center, and already has a sound system so the logistics are there. I know alot of people don't like the dance and that's fine but otakon could go a long way in supporting these people rather than telling them to go get sauced in someone's hotel room. Good PR, eh eh?
I think using the karaoke room would be a great way to get this set up for next year. It's all the way on the other side of the convention center, and already has a sound system so the logistics are there. I know alot of people don't like the dance and that's fine but otakon could go a long way in supporting these people rather than telling them to go get sauced in someone's hotel room. Good PR, eh eh?

they go to their rooms sauced anyway, then come back to the dance. who told someone to go to their room and get wasted?

In the past I have seen things like duck duck goose, mafia, etc.. played by people in the hallways during the dance. This space would offer some chill music and furniture (tables, chairs, etc..), water, and keep these people out of others way AND provide a positive chill environment for those who may feel a bit put off by the lack of super-substantial programming during the rave (i.e. if you aren't into hentai OR dancing.... you are kind of effed from 10pm-2am)

To be fair, this past year's 18+ panels did not start until 11PM on both Friday and Saturday nights (it started even later on Saturday). The 18+ panels were not limited to hentai, though there were one or two hentai ones scheduled. Even if you weren't interested in tentacles, you could check out the Dub Actors After Dark, or the late-night Evangelion panel. Not to mention that the video room version of Main Events featured fan parodies and fan films both nights until the wee hours, and 35mm was churning out films until midnight and 1AM. You're correct that there's not quite as much happening all at once, late at night, as there is the rest of the weekend - but there's still a lot happening.

In the past I have seen things like duck duck goose, mafia, etc.. played by people in the hallways during the dance. This space would offer some chill music and furniture (tables, chairs, etc..), water, and keep these people out of others way AND provide a positive chill environment for those who may feel a bit put off by the lack of super-substantial programming during the rave (i.e. if you aren't into hentai OR dancing.... you are kind of effed from 10pm-2am)

To be fair, this past year's 18+ panels did not start until 11PM on both Friday and Saturday nights (it started even later on Saturday). The 18+ panels were not limited to hentai, though there were one or two hentai ones scheduled. Even if you weren't interested in tentacles, you could check out the Dub Actors After Dark, or the late-night Evangelion panel. Not to mention that the video room version of Main Events featured fan parodies and fan films both nights until the wee hours, and 35mm was churning out films until midnight and 1AM. You're correct that there's not quite as much happening all at once, late at night, as there is the rest of the weekend - but there's still a lot happening.

nevertheless, i think this is a great idea, and i hope the relevant parties consider it :blink:

We consider everything that you guys post on here - we're trying to make a great con for you and that's a lot easier if we listen to what you want. ZGL is the head of Panels for the coming year so you've already gotten a reply from one person who deals with creating programing and it's reasonable to assume that she's going to bring it up with the other people in the Programming department who have a say in what types of programming happen at con too. Your ideas will get/have already gotten to the ears of the people who need to hear them.

and why you so surly eva? I think this would be a very positive thing for otakon to do at minimal cost, and expose people to some great music and non-dancing social events that often happen informally but in inconvenient/non-public areas
That's why I hate when people say the rave is the only thing to do after 10PM at the con. There's so much going on that so many don't seem to care about..

exactly ru, there is more to do then just the rave and get wasted, there where still showings and panels going on. i didnt go to any late night panels but when the sun went down meant two things for me 1. it was alot cooler in my cosplay 2. sam fisher got alot more pictures in when it got dark out

That's why I hate when people say the rave is the only thing to do after 10PM at the con. There's so much going on that so many don't seem to care about..

Not the only thing, but certainly the best thing! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Im surprized that no one has made the suggestion of House music. Cmon guys where's the love?

But to be serious for the past 3 years I've gone to the rave I've always longed to hear House music played( Don't say house isn't rave like. There's always Acid House)

I just hope you guys take it into consideration in choosing DJ's and such as House has been a part of B'more's Club and dance scene for a good while.

Im surprized that no one has made the suggestion of House music. Cmon guys where's the love?

But to be serious for the past 3 years I've gone to the rave I've always longed to hear House music played.

I agree with this. If Hope has me again in '08 I'm definitely considering playing a house set.

I might make a mix of it sometime soon-ish during my winter downtime. If I do I'll post a mix up and see what you guys think.

But to be serious for the past 3 years I've gone to the rave I've always longed to hear House music played( Don't say house isn't rave like. There's always Acid House)

I just hope you guys take it into consideration in choosing DJ's and such as House has been a part of B'more's Club and dance scene for a good while.

Okay, I'm just talking out my posterior here..............

......... but seeing as Otakon is supposedly in part about the dissemination and spreading of Japanese culture of all sorts (read: "our plan to otakunize the WORLD!!!!"....).............

............. without specifically detracting from Otakon itself, MIGHT there be room for the concept of pitching the idea of OtakuRave not only in the BCC where we always have it, but ALSO at a cooperative Japanese rave-style nightclub ELSEWHERE downtown that weekend?

As I'm reading this, we're going to be rotating through many DJ's in succession. You have folks interested, and in my own experience, the OtaRave IN the BCC gets crowded to the point where it's a safety issue.

I know of two nightclubs that would probably be amenable to the concept. However, both are rather far from the BCC, relatively speaking--a 20-minute walk at least, not close to any of the hotels, etc.

For all I know, this could give the DJ's another chance to play, possibly for pay, and the clubs get a different audience for the weekend. These clubs, unfortunately for the younger members, would be 21+, and I don't actually expect that many members to cross the streets for more rave time, but, hey, you never know.

The rave is on Saturday, right? How about the DJs get their acts together, and promote raves at a club on Thursday and Friday night? Or Sunday night?

Emphasis: This would be completely separate from Otakon. It would be at the club's/DJs' instigation and organization. They can pass out flyers to the folks in line on Thursday and Friday, and what happens, happens.

As the unofficial Bar Liaison for Otakon, I could contact a few clubs on behalf of the DJs if there's interest there. Basically, all I would do is pitch the idea to the clubs, make introductions, and stand back.

Okay, it's up the flagpole. Discussion, laurels, flaming arrows, etc. welcomed.

And by the way, I'm a fan of Afro Celt Sound System. B)

One of the main reasons why I don't go to the raves is because there are just too many people. Of couse my suggestion was the bring more staff in to better coordinate the crowd control.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Flying Scotsman's idea of having a DJ at an away club where us older folks can have a small change of atmosphere. I think it would be different to have a Japanese rave-style nightclub.

Vendors for:

Ice or Cold Water

Glow Sticks (and other accesories)

Earplugs

After Party Lounge Area

Ambient soft DJ or no DJ

Low tables.

Chairs

I second that!

ICE COLD WATER!!! 2 DOLLARS!!!!. anyone i the pre reg line know's who that is from...but as far as water, talk to aramark.

bring your own glowsticks

earplugs at a rave?........................

after party lounge area,

yeah we already talked about that

I've asked people in higher positions why we don't have things like this before and the answer that I was given is that we are only allowed to sell things in a designated dealers area (dealers room and artist alley), so selling glowsticks and the like at the rave isn't going to happen. There are dealers who sell that kind of stuff in the dealers room - you just need to plan ahead a little and get them before the rave. As for water...we give you water for free that we do our best to keep stocked (limited manpower keeps it from being perfect, but I spent the entire rave on friday running around with water and cups trying to make sure that the coolers were full), why would you want to pay for something that we're already paying to give you?

The BCC closes after the rave, so the only way that we could provide an after party lounge would be if we started the rave earlier, or cut it short. Neither of those would work very well.

The BCC closes after the rave, so the only way that we could provide an after party lounge would be if we started the rave earlier, or cut it short. Neither of those would work very well.

Nothing preventing some outside organizer from, say, organizing a post-rave lounge somewhere else, like one of the adjoining hotels or pubs.......... unless you're talking after 2 a.m. ...........

More Baltimore Club/Break Music, a DJ on Saturday Night in the Secondary Room played a few good mixes with a Baltimore Beat, I remember the Peanut Butter Jelly Time mix and maybe 2 others but that was about it.

• 5 weeks later...
breakers need to learn that just because they start breaking in a spot dosent mean a circle is going to happen, most people are just trying to get away from the flailing arms,flying feet and a boot to the head.

^^ i agree with goof the whole way. b-boys and music r like mosquitos to blood...we just attract to it...and u def cannot expect a true b-boy/b-girl to sit down when he/she hears music that makes the body want to move..we show each raver respect when they get down in the circle, because we want that same respect when we get down. anyways, peace and respect to all those that interpret the music and move.

breakers need to learn that just because they start breaking in a spot dosent mean a circle is going to happen, most people are just trying to get away from the flailing arms,flying feet and a boot to the head.

would like to say something to your comment. You have totally insulted me because i am a bboy

would like to say something to your comment. You have totally insulted me because i am a bboy

Edited by atomicgoofball

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.