Otakon Rave 2008(suggestions only see 2007 post 4 comments)

I don't go to the rave, but I would if I saw 2 changes occur:

1. playing some actual anime music

2. air conditioning to blast away the smell

In the past I was never interested in the rave, but I always heard about it. otakon 2007 I decided to check it out. I immediately left.

I like break-dancers but circles are really lame..... anytime you see circles form that means people cant dance or are too shy to dance. perhaps there should be a MC at the rave to get people pumped.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Otakon 2007's rave was a challenge

Friday Night was a blast, I was up all night from the start of it till the end.

Saturday Night I left the rave about 2 hours in.. saxophones do not belong in raid music.

you may say "why didn't you go into the back room?" ... well... the big room has a more open atmosphere. The ravers circles are always awsome.

if I was to give an improvement for 2008 I would say rave/anime type music through the night. There were a few mixes of anime tracks during friday night but that was all I heard.

Edited by Aludian
saxophones do not belong in raid music.

Considering how much electronic music samples live instruments, I find this complaint dubious at best.

so let's say you were in a rave circle that sampled heavy house and beat music. No problems there, you get your glowsticking on and everyone is cheering. Then suddenly the DJ's switch sets and a different DJ comes on stage who plays saxophone music. Would you say the mood was broken? or that the music was changed from house/trance/techno to Jazz? because that's what happened last year.

Jazzy house was around long before a lot of current subgenres of edm. Honestly a lot of people get tired of hearing music that has been synthesized to death -- hard house, techno, tech house, etc. aren't for everyone, honestly I *love* jazzy and funky house, and there are a lot of events that cater to it. Jazzy house has huge roots in rave, and definitely is still one of the primary genres.

That being said, at an event where different styles of music are being showcased and the slots/rooms are limited, these things happen. Variety is the spice of life anyway -- give funk a chance in '08! ;)

Edited by Muramasa

Isn't rave music any music with some technoy part to it that can be looped? So it could have some banjo cords in it and still be techno. You might have a lot of people that enjoyed the track with the saxophone in it. They're not going to tell the DJ's they can't play music that takes or simulates sounds of a specific instrument. How about some banjo-techno to open the rave this year? That way people that think rave music can only be skull crushing bass can get their whining out of the way at the start.

I've been reading the topic and so far I've this suggestions to make (most are supporting ideas I've read so far).

1. Regarding the Confunk I agree with the fact that handing out deodorants is pretty invasive, and maybe the reason to that is the fact that they are so into the convention that they forget to eat, drink, sleep and why not.. shower. So maybe announcement like "the rave will take place in # hours, is up to late hours so take your time to return to your hotels and refresh yourselves". or whatever kind of "please let us enjoy the rave" kind of announcement. I bet many of them are so out of reality that they could use a reminder. (it happens here at anime club meetings, like 12 hours of screening marathon, even with the break people forget to eat and stuff.. is weird). Or maybe just openly speaking about this issue and not making it seem something fun or as a sarcasm. (For instance I found the FAQ question about smell really fun but i know is a real issue, many people would just see it like an otaku everyday joke or something).

2. I've never being to a rave but I saw videos about it, being this an anime convention and having asian performers at the concerts, why is every video I've seen non anime music or asian music related? japan and korea have amazing "rave to" music even ayumi hamasaki has many mix albums. I'm just guessing this one because I've also read posts here and from what I understood there is little or no asian music. If I wanted to rave or dance or whatever at any other genre (non-asian music) I would be at my local pub or whatever.

3. About the problems with the small rooms turning into make out rooms, the turn on the lights and put an otakon representative in a corner works (worked at my college library lol).

the bcc dosen't have a PA system, so no annoucments.l

the "chill rooms" with the lights on and a staffer present won't be that what i think, an option or worth the man power. thats the otacafe in a nutshell.

the people want lights off and no one present, which they can just go to their rooms to do if they really can't wait to lip locking with that emo bishi :D

Edited by evaunit01berserk
  • 1 month later...

It seems like this topic kinda died.. anyway I just wanted to repeat myself regarding the anime music or non anime related but still Asian (ie. J-rock, J-pop, K-rock, K-pop) music mixes. Is there a possibility?

At this point, (just about) anything is a possibility. The people who plan the rave have been watching the thread and saw your comments, and you aren't the only person who's said that either. If there isn't anime-themed music at the rave it won't be because we didn't know you guys wanted it.

This might sound super lame, but perhaps a part of the room (designated by gaffer tape on the floor perhaps? Whatever works!) for people who just wanna dance and have fun and not get accosted by groping guys? I'll party hard with the rest of them, but the one part of dancing I HATE is guys coming up behind me and assaulting me with their naughty bits! I know plenty of people don't mind getting a little down and dirty but it's not my thing and instead of having to constantly give the "no thanks" shout or wear a shirt that says "Back off buddy!" it'd be nice to have a universal "I'm here to dance and have fun, not be molested" area of the rave, no matter how small it might be? Gah I dunno.

I'm going to get mocked for this I'm sure :D I swear I'm not a uber prude in any sense *teehee*, I just don't dig the lack of personal space as far as my bum goes. Am I totally alone in this?

This might sound super lame, but perhaps a part of the room (designated by gaffer tape on the floor perhaps? Whatever works!) for people who just wanna dance and have fun and not get accosted by groping guys? I'll party hard with the rest of them, but the one part of dancing I HATE is guys coming up behind me and assaulting me with their naughty bits! I know plenty of people don't mind getting a little down and dirty but it's not my thing and instead of having to constantly give the "no thanks" shout or wear a shirt that says "Back off buddy!" it'd be nice to have a universal "I'm here to dance and have fun, not be molested" area of the rave, no matter how small it might be? Gah I dunno.

I'm going to get mocked for this I'm sure :D I swear I'm not a uber prude in any sense *teehee*, I just don't dig the lack of personal space as far as my bum goes. Am I totally alone in this?

a female only area?

unfortunatly sailorV, the majority of the rave goers are going just for that, dirty dancing, grinding, see what random person they can hook up with etc etc. The best you can do is either continuing to tell them to get off of you, or just not go at all. you can tell a staffer, but it seems your having a problem with multiples. a shame tasers are banned in maryland....

As much as I like the idea, I wouldn't expect to see it at the con. First of all, gaffer tape wouldn't be much of a barrier, we'd be looking at using at least rope to close the area off. Secondly, we'd need a few staffers dedicated to watching that area to make sure that people are respecting the "no touching" rule, which would eat into our already thinly stretched manpower.

What you can do, though, is to take some space in the back of the main room with your friends and dance the way you want to. That's probably the best that you're going to be able to do for this, creating a separate section for "clean" dancing only isn't very feasible.

I'm going to get mocked for this I'm sure ^_^ I swear I'm not a uber prude in any sense *teehee*, I just don't dig the lack of personal space as far as my bum goes. Am I totally alone in this?

As much as I like the idea, I wouldn't expect to see it at the con. First of all, gaffer tape wouldn't be much of a barrier, we'd be looking at using at least rope to close the area off. Secondly, we'd need a few staffers dedicated to watching that area to make sure that people are respecting the "no touching" rule, which would eat into our already thinly stretched manpower.

What you can do, though, is to take some space in the back of the main room with your friends and dance the way you want to. That's probably the best that you're going to be able to do for this, creating a separate section for "clean" dancing only isn't very feasible.

for the mere price of 2 pocky, sailorv you can have a none dancing intimidating sam fisher cosplayer stand next to you, looking like a total dork standing still, but a very effective scare crow lol

for the mere price of 2 pocky, sailorv you can have a none dancing intimidating sam fisher cosplayer stand next to you, looking like a total dork standing still, but a very effective scare crow lol
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my long overdue response to most of you but the life of a staffer is always busy at best.

The general themes of this thread so far are:

Confunk

Anime themed music

Breakers

New ideas

As far as Confunk we (the dance team staffers) will try to do what we can about it. My suggestion to you guys is to be prepared to switch rooms if it gets really bad in the small room. The reason being is that the convention won't be blasting the AC and we will do what we can for ventilation and such. We cannot spray anything (due to allergic responses of the populous) and Otakon in general has a tips section of the flyers that talks about taking breaks to bathe and such.

Anime themed music: I hear you guys loud and clear. I will suggest to the dance team and our fearless leader that during DJ selection time she go towards that genre a little more. Although we can only go with what DJ's send in music/offer their services so if you know of any good DJ's that play this type of music feel free to contact them and if they want to play at Otakon (for free) have them contact me and I'll get hook them up with the correct contact.

Breakers: Truthfully there isn't much we can do about breakers or anyone for that matter forming a circle or whatever to dance. There are no rules against that as I know of and since we actually invite some of the breakers we won't be kicking them out anytime soon. I will be talking with our BBoys and BGirls and hopefully we can find a spot for everyone to do their thing on the dancefloor.

New Ideas: Please keep the new ideas coming. You guys are the lifeblood that we live by so please if you have any ideas let us know. Even if you read this and are shy I ask you to please PM me with your suggestion and I will respond.

Now my time to ask a favor of you guys

1) Spread the word about the Con and the Rave. Now is the time to get a buzz started.

2) Tell everyone you know that is going to the rave to NOT bring in Prop weapons or Glowsticks with Strings/Cords. (the reason I ask is because the more time I don't have to spend taking/cutting the string the more time you all can be dancing w/o my big butt getting in the way)

3) If you know a DJ and want them to play please contact them and try. (We do our best to get quality folks in but even a email/letter to your favorite DJ may get them to slide on into Baltimore and play at Otakon).

Imma point out what's becoming an increasing irritatant at con raves.

Congo lines.

At anime boston this year, I managed to have several glass led clips fly across the room and shatter while I was struck by an unexpected congo line in my blind spot. These guys neither look nor care where they're going, cut right through the crowd, and are starting to incite me to violence.

Imma point out what's becoming an increasing irritatant at con raves.

Congo lines.

At anime boston this year, I managed to have several glass led clips fly across the room and shatter while I was struck by an unexpected congo line in my blind spot. These guys neither look nor care where they're going, cut right through the crowd, and are starting to incite me to violence.

I'm going to get mocked for this I'm sure :unsure: I swear I'm not a uber prude in any sense *teehee*, I just don't dig the lack of personal space as far as my bum goes. Am I totally alone in this?

The dudes who are doing this are acting against the rules of the rave, especially if they're not responding to you ignoring them/giving the push away signal/shaking your head. It is against club/dance ettiquette.

So, who wants to volunteer for the Sailor V Protection Militia?

More ventilation is always a good thing.

I'd totally recommend some of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/9162/

joke, joke. :angry:

that said, blasting air condition at inhumanly cold levels is not a bad idea in the slightest.

What about ionic breezes and those kinds of purifiers? Couldn't they manage to physically remove some o' that confunk from the air?

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that lighting the main floor w/ leds or rope lights, instead of overhead flourescents, would probably help reduce that room's temperature a bit.

Also, the flourescent lights in the main room remain teh lamorz, but i understand the need for people to be able to see, so I'd push for that anyway. But essentially, any extraneous light bulbs need to die. The cooler you get the room, the better it is for everyone. Bodies, after all, can readily adapt to the cold while moving constantly. In the heat, though, they have to sweat, which raises the funk and leads to either dehydration or people drinking up all yo watas,,

More ventilation is always a good thing.

I'd totally recommend some of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/9162/

joke, joke. :angry:

that said, blasting air condition at inhumanly cold levels is not a bad idea in the slightest.

What about ionic breezes and those kinds of purifiers? Couldn't they manage to physically remove some o' that confunk from the air?

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that lighting the main floor w/ leds or rope lights, instead of overhead flourescents, would probably help reduce that room's temperature a bit.

Also, the flourescent lights in the main room remain teh lamorz, but i understand the need for people to be able to see, so I'd push for that anyway. But essentially, any extraneous light bulbs need to die. The cooler you get the room, the better it is for everyone. Bodies, after all, can readily adapt to the cold while moving constantly. In the heat, though, they have to sweat, which raises the funk and leads to either dehydration or people drinking up all yo watas,,

That fan is cool as hell! I want one...I just don't have that kind of cash sitting around...*smacks himself back on topic*

The lights are an issue that we've been...debating...with the BCC for a number of years now. They want a minimum number of lights on when people are in the building for safety-related reasons and they don't consider stage lighting adequate for that, so we're forced to leave a few more lights on then we'd prefer to. Trust me, if there was a way to get the BCC to let us turn those lights off we'd be all over it. For the moment, at least, the lights are an issue we can't deal with. I don't know what kinds of rules the BCC has about the A/C (they have rules about everything though...I'm sure there's one or twenty), so we might not be able to do anything about that, but it's something that can be brought up at a meeting to try to deal with.

I don't know what kinds of rules the BCC has about the A/C (they have rules about everything though...I'm sure there's one or twenty), so we might not be able to do anything about that, but it's something that can be brought up at a meeting to try to deal with.

I was about to say, both ayuh and I are throwing down lots of japanese tracks. (hell, I OWN l'arc en ciel ectomorphed on vinyl!).

I know both of us have sent in demos again this year, although I'm getting away from core and playing more NRG this year, I hope the two of us can satisfy your tastes for con-related japanese beats.

as far as legal part about refusing, its otakons choice what to do with them.

if they refuse the breathlyzer then they leave, plain and simple.

if i was plain sober and someone came up to me and asked me to blow in the tube, i'd do it just to prove im at 0.00

Edited by Confero
I'm 100% straight edge and proud of it. I have "xxx" tattoo'd inside of my lower lip. My roots are in hardcore music and going to shows, I also regularly attend raves and clubs. I would most certainly refuse a breathalyzer and openly take offense to being offered one. Otakon staff has no place doing drug and alcohol screenings, and especially no training to make judgments based on a mock screening. The breathalyzer idea is heinous. Why not check someone's eyes or breathe to see if they've been smoking weed or check them out to see if they were taking Ecstasy? This is coming from someone who doesn't do drugs a drink. I just think it is wrong to imply that people are going to abuse drugs and alcohol, and also wrong to approach them with a test.

I wouldn't worry about the breathalyser issue, I HIGHLY doubt that you'll see any Otakon staffers using them to test for intoxication. It gets into a big mess of legal issues that we don't want to deal with unless we absolutely have to. At the most, a staffer may use a person's behavior, smell of alcohol on their breath, pupils that aren't constriction, etc. to figure out if a person is drunk or not. If they are drunk, the standard action is to send them home for the night and say that they're welcome to come back when they're sober. I haven't heard anything about this changing for the 08 con, so it's fairly safe to assume that it will be happening more or less the same as I described.

If there's a reason to get police involved, however (mostly only with fights and other serious things that can result in criminal/civil charges) then it's up to them to decide if they want to do a breathalyser or not.

I'm 100% straight edge and proud of it. I have "xxx" tattoo'd inside of my lower lip. My roots are in hardcore music and going to shows, I also regularly attend raves and clubs. I would most certainly refuse a breathalyzer and openly take offense to being offered one.

I also breakdance, and I feel like the comments about breakdancers flailing and hitting or hurting people are way too exaggerated. When you're in a packed room, expect to make contact with other people. From my experience at the Otakurave, not everyone is dancing. It's just a few people taking turns dancing in the middle of various circles. Breaking is a form of dancing so I guess you ought to be ready for that to happen and nobody has any ill intent while dancing, if anything I have always made new friends dancing and I have seen everyone getting along fine at the rave.

Sorry friend, but I don't think that anyone had steel toed boots on when they were breaking. And if they hurt you, I am sure they would have apologized much like I would.

Unfortunately you will come to find that at crowded events such as the Otaku rave, people will insist you move out of their way, making their stand and holding their own area to dance. You are complaining about being kicked in the leg by a bboy at a crowded rave. :/

"when your in a packed room, yes i do expect contact with people, what i DO NOT expect is a steel toed boot getting planted into my thigh from the idiot that had less then 1 foot of space, to attempt spinning on his head"

All I can say is "step aside". This is rave/show/concert etiquette when a mosh pit/dance circle opens. I could sound entirely backwards to you, but this is what I've seen from experience. If you don't like what they are doing, let them know. The people who attend Otakon are courteous. Don't come on here and attempt to have something "done" to the bboys.

The breathalyzer being over the top has nothing to do with my own choice to be edge and not drink or do drugs, but I am sticking up for common decency. The Otakurave is not the place to be doing drug screenings, nor are the staff qualified to do so. Imply whatever you would like about me being straight edge, I am calling for common decency.

Edited by Confero
  • 4 weeks later...

lol waita double post within a post there ^_^

Maybe its just me, but I feel like there is WAY too much rap/hip hop played at these sort of things. Frankly it gets on my nerves, there is very few stuff that's non-old school that actually sounds like good music nowadays. But to each his own, just asking that there only be some, not a huge amount, because if so I'm leaving and I'm sure many others will probably as well.

Definately some more anime & other Japanese-oriented music, after all this is Otakon.

Also maybe in addition to the hip-hop and anime music, some more industrial-y stuff? In my experiences at Shampoo, both that and 80s music make great club/rave tunes.

lol waita double post within a post there ^_^

Maybe its just me, but I feel like there is WAY too much rap/hip hop played at these sort of things. Frankly it gets on my nerves, there is very few stuff that's non-old school that actually sounds like good music nowadays. But to each his own, just asking that there only be some, not a huge amount, because if so I'm leaving and I'm sure many others will probably as well.

Definately some more anime & other Japanese-oriented music, after all this is Otakon.

Also maybe in addition to the hip-hop and anime music, some more industrial-y stuff? In my experiences at Shampoo, both that and 80s music make great club/rave tunes.

yea i messed up a little....but anyways, bmore club music isnt concidered rap, nor hiphop....i agree that now a days, hip hop is going down the drain, thats why i didnt really suggest anything that 50cent or soldier boy has to offer right now...cuz they suck..lol...but yea, bmore club is fast and upbeat, like i said look it up...u might like it
yea i messed up a little....but anyways, bmore club music isnt concidered rap, nor hiphop....i agree that now a days, hip hop is going down the drain, thats why i didnt really suggest anything that 50cent or soldier boy has to offer right now...cuz they suck..lol...but yea, bmore club is fast and upbeat, like i said look it up...u might like it

I wasn't talking about your request about bmore club, I have some of my own so I'm sure I know what it is :P

I meant the request way above you where Kev said he'd look into getting us some hip hop.

Two Words:

Fog Machine

I second this, most wholeheartedly. I have on caveat - if a fog machine is procured, be sure it is a cold fog machine. The cool fog would have a positive effect on the temperature problem, as well as add to the atmosphere (plus if there are any lights, particularly lasers, fog makes them so much more awesome).

If that's what they're doing at a rave they have no business being there anyway. That's not how you dance to rave music. Frankly in my opinion that's less dancing than pacing back and forth on your feet like some people do.

Just my 2 cents.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.