Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theemptyone

Robbed while at otakon.

This was my second Otakon, and my third anime convention in general. But it shall always hold a strong memory for me.

During the first Witchblade showing, my landlord called, and said I had been broken into. I'd been pretty much de-geeked.

Computers, DVD's, Video Games, electronics.. all gone. Was hard to enjoy the day and a half I had left, but I gave it my best shot.

Then after returning home, digging through the shambles of what was left of my trashed house, I received two phone calls from two Jobs I had been hoping for. A great opportunity, making way more money then I did at my current job. This was after months of searching for something workable and worthwhile.

My friend says my house had bad feng shui, and the crack-heads who robbed me (i don't mean to belittle all thiefs who may read this, but they stole stuff that was only of 'obvious value' and not my 150 dollar chess set I bought while in asia, so they wern't exactly the smartest people around) fixed it.

So in the space of 7 days.. i went to otakon, spent 14 hours in a car, was robbed, finished Harry Potter and got a GREAT job.. would you call this a good week or a bad week?

Sounds like a pretty good week to me. Really sorry you got robbed, though. But if you got a great new job, you can replace what's been stolen, so it looks like a sort of self-fixing week!

[They tend to steal what they can fence, by the way, and it's probably much easier to fence electronics for a good return than a chess set. Think about where they're gonna be selling this stuff.]

I'm so sorry you got robbed.

Scared me for a minute. I thought you got robbed *at* Otakon, so that would have been even worse!

Congratulations on the new job, and good luck with it!

Find a new place ot live too...

I would call this a bad week with a new opportunity.

No one wants to be robbed like that. But at least you made the best of it and seem to be in good spirits.

Hopefully this new job will pay off and you can slowly begin to replace your favorite items.

Dont go on a crazy spending spree! New jobs are always shaky for a while.

And I now recommend to you Renters insurance. Its very inexpensive and covers robberies. You can get back everything you had stolen if you had renters insurance. Just something to look in to. =)

Good luck!

Ouch!!

I'd say things kinda balanced out, but with you getting the better half in the long run. Did you have renter's insurance? (yes, we're asking again!) Did you save any receipts on the high priced items? (I know DVD's can be easily replaced with the exception of certain titles no longer being produced in singles).

Definitely check your area if breakins are a common occurence, if not then these chowerheads got lucky. Then I'd make the decision to move from there if it's feasible.

But hey, they took items that are easily replaceable. Be really bad if they did take things of real value to yourself.

i would also look into people that know you well, since this happened on otakon, just when you where out of town? either the people knew you, you left signs that you where not going to be home for while or the thieves had really big dumb luck picking that day to rob your house

i would also look into people that know you well, since this happened on otakon, just when you where out of town? either the people knew you, you left signs that you where not going to be home for while or the thieves had really big dumb luck picking that day to rob your house

Sorry to hear about the robbery.

Glad your able to get online though.

With your computer, do you have it automatically logging into any kind of website with your username and password? (aim, norton antivirus)

If so, you might want to try calling those companies up and see if they can trace the IP.

Or better yet, make a new AIM name and social engineer them to remote connect, get the IP, then go right to the police.

All things considered I'd call it a good week.

I'd hate to lose my stuff but, in the end, stuff is stuff and now you have a better job and an excuse to get all new stuff! Plus, you got to enjoy a great anime con!

Do you have renter's insurance? If so, it might be worth a call to your agent.

i got robbed too... my cell phone was stolen ;)

From what a remember, Call Phone companies don't really help their customers bring theifs to justice. (just not profitable enough I suppose).

Good thing though is that you should be able to get out of your current contract.