Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HydeCiel

Otaku Dating Scene

i am still kicking myself for not flirting back at this girl that was dressed up as a Seras Victoria from hellsing.

Police Girl... *drool times 10,000*

Yeeeaaah, see girls don't like when you drool on them...that would be an Otaku Dating Don't.

i am still kicking myself for not flirting back at this girl that was dressed up as a Seras Victoria from hellsing.

Police Girl... *drool times 10,000*

My friend Steve and I were planning to do a panel on this for next year. Anime cons and dating. I was going to provide the female point of view and he was the male point of view. We were going to cover the shyness, the approach, the follow-thru, etc. I have been to several cons and been approached lots of times, but there were always common mistakes the guys made that turned me off. I like giving guys the chance since they did work up the nerve to approach, but it's hard when they keep doing stupid things. My friend Steve has done the approaching especially at this year's Otakon. He's become comfortable with it since he volunteers at conventions a lot. He met girls, but then they did something that turned him off. When we compared notes, we realized a lot of their mistakes were common ones that can be easily fixed if you knew about it. That's why we decided to do a panel about it. We also have a success story with two of our mutual friends who met at an anime con. Actually we all met and became friends at the same con. Anywho, our friends are now going strong on 3-4 years of being together and close to getting engaged. I know it's hard being a shy girl. I've had to learn to turn on the charm to let people get to know me.

Uhhh ok?

I'm going next year without exception and am pretty excited since it will be my first... (<----- a little late for the first time) but I have my excuses and such... air force, home bound problems after separation, blah blah but I am going in 2008! That being said I'm also getting nervous since my confidence runs off somewhere when girls I like are within the facinity :oops:

I might have missed it once or several time thru this thread, but since it's so fresh, Sylnte, would you care to explain any number of things that most guys do that instantly turn off girls for the most part, from your perspective? I mean like I stated in my first post I just had a Godsend and that girl and I connected without effort, but I know that in a big event like an anime convention odds are I won't just run into the female interest of my character I went as and hit things off and it all be magical, I would be just one of much more, plus I think I used up all my luck or karma points when the stars alligned with such flawlessness, so the way I see it I'll have to give it all the elbow juice I got and more...

Any tips appreciated :):lol::D

I might have missed it once or several time thru this thread, but since it's so fresh, Sylnte, would you care to explain any number of things that most guys do that instantly turn off girls for the most part, from your perspective? I mean like I stated in my first post I just had a Godsend and that girl and I connected without effort, but I know that in a big event like an anime convention odds are I won't just run into the female interest of my character I went as and hit things off and it all be magical, I would be just one of much more, plus I think I used up all my luck or karma points when the stars alligned with such flawlessness, so the way I see it I'll have to give it all the elbow juice I got and more...

Any tips appreciated :D:D:D

I'll elaborate later since I 'm trying to book the Days Inn for next year.

Another thing: You want a nice girl? Do not seek her in fan conventions, nightclubs, or anything similar. You will find her in school, at work, in a synagogue, a church, or a more dignified setting. And, a really nice girl won't jump into the sack with any male because she will save herself for a true commitment (as in marriage). Yes, those girls, though they may be rare, still exist. You just have to find them and you have to be ready to commit to them.

The dating scene right now is pretty hard, because most of it is not what I would call "dating." Much of it is a prelude to sex, which to me is the ultimate expression of affection, not just a form of entrtainment...

I think of Otakon had that popular dating game among cons now it would be so cute. The girl (or guy) sits in a chair away and hidden from the "dates". She asks questions on a card, the dates respond and she eventually chooses the one she (or he) likes.

I definitely think a panel would be a good idea, I'd go and have fun!

I think of Otakon had that popular dating game among cons now it would be so cute. The girl (or guy) sits in a chair away and hidden from the "dates". She asks questions on a card, the dates respond and she eventually chooses the one she (or he) likes.

Girl: "Otaku #1: If we went out on a date, where would you take me?"

Otaku #1: "... 'out'?"

Girl: "Otaku #1: If we went out on a date, where would you take me?"

Otaku #1: "... 'out'?"

ROFL

Otaku #2: "To the 18+ Video Room to watch Hentai!"

*Waves hand wildly in appreciation and agreement*

I've actually been suprised by how many people on this thread have been on my level on the whole sex issue! You're not old fashioned Nigel! :wink:

To share my rave expereince(Yes,nice girls go to raves!):

I was dancing at the Saturday rave,towards the end of the night,when this complete stranger comes up and wraps his arms around my waist. Note,I was not scantily clad or anything,but just because I was dancing, he felt he had the right to do this,proceeding to grind me for the next twenty minutes.Needless to say,I was highly uncomfortable with this. At the end of the rave,he introduced himself and asked if I wanted to go grab something to eat-I looked for the nearest exit.

Again,I know the rave isn't the best place to meet people, its just an example.

A nice guy Otaku would have danced with me,not 'on'me. And/or at least have introduced himself first. Just because we're 'nice' doesn't mean we're boring or not as big Otaku as anyone else!Most of us are just looking for a good,polite guy : )

You know in cases like that you can and do have the right to turn around and slap him if you feel violated and then find a Staff Member to eject them and handle the situation. I made damn sure before I did any type of dancing with a girl that it was agreed upon whether with a smile, a nod, or her moving towards me.

I definitely think a panel would be a good idea, I'd go and have fun!

Haha don't worry I'm definitely setting it up and my tech guy is awesome, so it should be awesome. I think I'm going to branch it out not just for the guys but also for the girl as well that way it's on an even playing field and not just guys having to get nervous and embarassed, lol. I must help my comrades.

Otaku#3: "To suncoast, so we can buy volumes of manga and DVDs, and pocky and Ramune too if they have it, it'll be the be--"

Girl: "...yeah, I actually don't like pocky and ramune"

Otaku#3: o_o

Girl: "..."

now come on you know there would be the guy who would try danm hard to get her in a cosplay on the first date... even though a costume shop would be fun to go to on a date

Otaku #4: I'd take you to my room dressed like Sailor Moon and show you my Tuxedo Mask, I'm afraid I don't have the tuxedo though. :wink:

ROFL

I was dancing at the Saturday rave,towards the end of the night,when this complete stranger comes up and wraps his arms around my waist. Note,I was not scantily clad or anything,but just because I was dancing, he felt he had the right to do this,proceeding to grind me for the next twenty minutes.Needless to say,I was highly uncomfortable with this.

Next time, I have a few options for you.

-Go with a male friend that wouldn't be afraid to scare him off.

-Stomp on his foot

-Elbow him in the gut

-Ditto the slap

Something to bring this guy back to ground zero, like pushing him away and raining verbal hell on him to make him look like a scumbag. Men that have no respect should at least receive less of it.

On the comment of the dating show. I am very much for it, something like, calling a woman up, having her turn around, picking out three men, and then have her ask three questions for them two answer. It would be much much fun. Plus it would be fun to see what questions would be asked. It could also go the other way, with one man and three women. I vote for.

*Waves hand wildly in appreciation and agreement*

I've actually been suprised by how many people on this thread have been on my level on the whole sex issue! You're not old fashioned Nigel! :wink:

I was dancing at the Saturday rave,towards the end of the night,when...

The old country (not USA country, though I guess square dancing would be a distant cousin <shudders>)

Hey now! Thats the only dancing with actual steps that I know how to do!

Otaku #5: My super top-secret lair...aka,my basement bedroom.

The old country (not USA country, though I guess square dancing would be a distant cousin <shudders>)

Hey now! Thats the only dancing with actual steps that I know how to do!

Otaku #5: My super top-secret lair...aka,my basement bedroom.

It looks like some local cons(Anime USA and T-Mode) are starting to introduce an actual formal dance on Friday night instead of the rave, so it should be interesting to see how they pull it off and if the folks going stag get asked to actually dance. <3

It looks like some local cons(Anime USA and T-Mode) are starting to introduce an actual formal dance on Friday night instead of the rave, so it should be interesting to see how they pull it off and if the folks going stag get asked to actually dance. <3

Formal Dance? What's that? Like everyone's dressed up in suits and dresses and ummm?

:?

Formal Dance? What's that? Like everyone's dressed up in suits and dresses and ummm?

Yup. Think prom or homecoming with less grinding and more actual dancing ballroom style.

:cry: But...,what's the appeal? I had to take Ballroom Dancing: Waltz, Tango, and Ballet for requirements of P.E. when I was in High School, definitely was not a fan.. :?

Yup. Think prom or homecoming with less grinding and more actual dancing ballroom style.

The appeal is really an anime version of a formal dance. Can you imagine how go it would be to do the tango dressed as Queen Serenity and with Tuxedo Mask? Or to act out the dance scene from Final Fantasy 8 with a Rinoa cosplayer dressed as Squall?

The appeal is that it is really seen to be more romantic to do the waltz and especially the tango than the grinding of the rave. Slow dancing close to a pretty guy or girl that you like looking into their eyes... that sort of thing. Even working up the guts to ask someone to dance with you. =)

The appeal is really an anime version of a formal dance. Can you imagine how go it would be to do the tango dressed as Queen Serenity and with Tuxedo Mask? Or to act out the dance scene from Final Fantasy 8 with a Rinoa cosplayer dressed as Squall?

The appeal is that it is really seen to be more romantic to do the waltz and especially the tango than the grinding of the rave. Slow dancing close to a pretty guy or girl that you like looking into their eyes... that sort of thing. Even working up the guts to ask someone to dance with you. =)

They are going to have a formal ball and dance. Dancing types will be Waltz, Rambus, and Foxtrot I do believe. I know for a fact I'll be going to it and I'll be using a traditional japanese formal wear.

Thats the other thing, if you go to the formal ball event not in formal wear YOU WILL NOT be allowed in.

I have ideas for this panel.....many many idea's (be afraid sora)

They are going to have a formal ball and dance. Dancing types will be Waltz, Rambus, and Foxtrot I do believe. I know for a fact I'll be going to it and I'll be using a traditional japanese formal wear.

Thats the other thing, if you go to the formal ball event not in formal wear YOU WILL NOT be allowed in.

I have ideas for this panel.....many many idea's (be afraid sora)

o_o Just be sure to run them past me first other than that it's cool ideas are always welcome.

And you can still work up the nerve to ask a girl to dance in the rave, I worked up much of my confidence in my life on the dance floor during High School. I will admit though the spinning/twirling or whatever you want to call it of ballroom dancing was cool.

I'd love to learn the Tango. That is one sexy dance.

And the idea of a anime formal sounds cool, so twice as much motivation, woo

*the traditional Tango, though, not the Competitive one. The traditional one is all very intense and a lot of staring into your partner's eyes and being all *spanish soap opera accent* "I hate you. No, I love you. No, I hate you so much because I love you."

in short, the Tango makes you crazy.

Lol, rock and roll. I love dancing, anything that makes your body move in a way that looks cool, amazing, smooth, what ever it is, and not clumsy and gaudy like grinding does. So hip hop steps are awesome until you get to the strip tease crap. Be it ballroom to swing, which I understand wasn't truly accepted as a family friendly style of dancing. Nor was dancing in general looked at with a positive eye if you go back far enough in history and religion.

What I think what would work out really well would be a panel before the dance opened up with no seating, or maybe on the dance floor an hour before, a class teaching people some basic steps. I don't have any idea how to do a lot of dancing, only some different ones, but I would love to learn.

I have no problem with the formal dancing just don't let it "take" the place of the Rave, why can't we have both? :shock: Why can't we all just get along?

I think a formal would be a great idea. They could have the rave one night and the formal the other night or something. As much as I love raves....I love formals so much more. Everything that goes into formals is exciting. *sigh* I wonder if Otakon would go for it.

They could have the rave one night and the formal the other night or something...I wonder if Otakon would go for it.

most likely not. The Otakon Dance is just too popular to change drastically for one night. The ones that want the bump-and-grind will probably go find their own area to do so... and we can't have that happening (for many many reasons, none of which have anything to do with me being a powertrippy turd that doesn't have fun) :)

I did float a slightly *different* idea to Hope, but I don't want to jinx planning before it even happens! :)

They could have the rave one night and the formal the other night or something...I wonder if Otakon would go for it.

I did float a slightly *different* idea to Hope, but I don't want to jinx planning before it even happens! ^_^

Jynx?

That pokemon with the blonde hair and abnormally shaped body?

The dating game sounds nifty, but in some cases like mine it would be not more than entertainment lol... :cry: I'm you're class-A anti-social introvert, so I couldn't honestly be myself on stage and would just be a laughing tool for others, it's quite sad :evil:

With the potential number of participants in something like this, it would be short of impossible to trim the numbers down to something manageable, which would just have to suck for those whom got weeded out :cry: If and how are still relevant however it just comes down, imo, to doing fairly... a first come first serve basis is all I can think of... and chalk it up to fate after that :wink:

well just have the females as the questioners, and the guys as the answerers, because ya all know for each girl there is ten guys trying to get her attention

well just have the females as the questioners, and the guys as the answerers, because ya all know for each girl there is ten guys trying to get her attention

You ask for people to apply by box outside of the panel room till panel time.

Once the panel starts you call up females that applied, based on that number you give them a certain number of questions to ask, which include follow-ups for elaboration. This will make it so that you try and make each group size up to fit the time frame of the panel. Less contestants, more questions, more contestants, less questions.