Dealer's Room wishlist(s) for '08.

I took one step in that Dealer's Room this year and realized the $100 in my pocket was nowhere near enough for this slice of godliness.

Next year I'm bringing $1k+ just for the Dealer's Room. I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of nice swords. A substantial amount of Manga to add to my library would be nice, too. An import DS Lite to play Jump Ultimate Stars is near the top of my list as well. Lifetime supplies of Pocky are pretty cool. And wallscrolls, too. I don't want to be able to see the paint my walls anymore. >=3

I figure I'll bring a separate bag JUST for all the stuff I'm buying. XD

And j00?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh Shopping.

Yes, for me, Otakon has always been a major shopping trip. The fun part is picking up all the things I didn't know existed, and it is quite possible to spend an entire weekend just in the Dealer's room.

As of late, my little 1 bedroom apartment is starting to get a bit... cramped, so I am trying to go for smaller things like books and CDs, but that doesnt stop me from grabbing up every Zeonography figure I can find, or that Chun-Li (whatever it is- doesn't matter, as long as it is Chun-Li).

One of these years I hope to actually enjoy some of the screenings at the Distributer booths. It is just so hard to sit still and watch something when you never know what you might be missing at the booth around the corner...

I know exactly what you mean, man. I definitely spent $700+ in the Dealers' Room this year. Got a few swords, a dress from Rauken Fashions for my girl, more raw manga than I'll ever get around to reading...I haven't even read all the manga I got from last year...Takes me 20-30min a page which is time I just don't have anymore. Sadly that won't stop me from buying more.

I created a separate checking account for the cons I go to after I realized I couldn't really afford lunch a few days at work the week after Otakon. Just gonna slide $50-100/wk in there and hope it covers the three major things I do (christmas skiing, Katsucon, Otakon). I was so poor after this year...Can't let that happen again...

Of course, a sane person would go, "Maybe I shouldn't spend so much at Otakon anymore."....Silly sane people....

Ah I loved shopping at otakon, however i was quite disappointed since << i couldnt find an Axel plush anywhere...Alot of people had pokemon plushies though. for some reason i want to suggest a square-enix booth but ._. << >> thats just me

i am a sucker for love hina and would kill a man for some love hina merch... but at next years con i am goin buck-wild on T SHIRTS. As far as i am concerned as a human being you can never have to many t shirts and i plan to test this hypothesis starting next year. Give me a Vash, Naru and Keitaro, Lain, Asuka, Ed and Ein, Naota-kun, Battle Royale, Chiyo-chan, Nagi, Ninja Pizza Cats, Kiki, Mai, or Maya shirt anyday.

I also have a passion for artwork/posters and (not to step on the artist alley's toes) but would like to see more wall scrolls/ posters from older series.

I brought 2k this year and (fortunatly or unfortunatly) came home with more than half, so next year i am planning on bringing the same amount and picking up some more boxsets (and hopefully some of my aformentioned "wishlist" items)

Video games at reasonable prices. I must say, they do take advantage of the geekdom of Otakon, as I see these video game dealers (the few that were there) overcharge for games. There are some exceptions to the rule (like mint condition, out of production collectibles) and that I understand, but $80 for a PS2 game that came out last year? Come on.

VideoGamesNewYork had the best prices at con, but even that's not saying a whole lot.

I wanted to buy a bunch of stuff so I stuck with the cheaper swords. Got one for $60 for myself and a $50 one as a gift for a friend that couldn't make it this year. Some may argue that those aren't really the cheap ones...but since I can't cut through a car/tree/person with either of them, I consider them cheap. Gonna pick up one of those $600+ folded steel swords next year, might start a collection. Partly why I started saving now for next year.

I live in Southern PG (I'm about 10min out of southeast DC for the out-of-towners) so I just put the swords in my hotel and drove them home sunday.

All I can really request is that there is more music available next year.

It took me a over an hour to find the one and only stand selling music and although they had a fair selection I wouldn't mind having a much wider range of music to select from.

To me, the dealer's room was very bland and generic this year. In 2006 it was great, this year I think it lacked some of the variety the year prior had.

So, that's what I'd like to see. More variety. ^^

To me, the dealer's room was very bland and generic this year. In 2006 it was great, this year I think it lacked some of the variety the year prior had.

So, that's what I'd like to see. More variety. ^^

The odd thing is it's pretty much the same folks as we had in 2006, plus a fair number of newer vendors and some out-of-left-field stuff like Peter Beagle.

But if you're just referring to product selection, unfortunately that's not something we can really control. Dealers are going to continue to focus on whatever they believe will sell profitably.

I actually wasn't that impressed by the dealers room. I like the flat rate deals though. My friend and I are from NYC, so many of the things at the Dealers room we kinda see at the city already...

Yeah, I remember this one vendor was selling manga five bucks a book. I bargained with this chubby little Asian dude to get four Initial D's for $12. ^^V

I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the dealer's room this year, and didn't wind up spending nearly as much as I expected to. The vast majority of stuff I got was DVDs, which I could just as easily have gotten elsewhere (and probably just as cheaply).

The problem, from my standpoint was that all of the dealers seemed to have mostly the same stuff, for the same series. Which is cool if you're a Naruto fan, or a Bleach fan, but not so much if you're old school like me. I had more than one dealer tell me that there was nothing available for the series I mentioned, but I know that wasn't always the case based on what I've seen online.

I also had hoped to pick up the Japanese DVD box of CLAMP Campus Detectives, but found a distinct paucity of import DVDs. Of course, now Bandai will be releasing it on Region 1, so it's no big deal.

There was also very little in the way of trading cards - trading figures, yes, but not cards.

Don't get me wrong - the room was still a lot of fun to wander around in...ONCE. But I didn't see the need to go back a second or a third time to try to bargain with the dealers because they really didn't have anything I was interested in.

I rarely spend over $200 but my friends sure beat that x__X

One thing about the cheap swords, some of them are only glued together and will fall apart easily. Which makes me laugh when it happens to my friends, but still.

If there are fantastic *new* gundam models available by next Otakon, I will plan on buying those :lol:

And I always buy t-shirts.

• 2 weeks later...
All I can really request is that there is more music available next year.

It took me a over an hour to find the one and only stand selling music and although they had a fair selection I wouldn't mind having a much wider range of music to select from.

There was certainly more than one stand selling music. I remember a few, with one specifically dedicated to Jrock (yay) and another with a wide mix of music. Plus some vendors had a small selection of music beside their other merch.

BUT! I do agree whole-heartedly with getting more music vendors at this con. Otakon is a big con, so there's no reason I should only see the same music sellers that I see at other/smaller cons. (However, I don't really know how much control you have over that.)

Well, I was actually hoping that I could get my hands on some decent Japanese games...preferrably BLEACH 4: Heat The Soul...

I've got the data sitting on my PSP with no way to play it. I've already got one sword, and I'm wondering if I could get a wakizashi or tachi to go along with it... Good things do come in pairs after all. Though, one thing I don't remember catching a glimpse of are movies. With this being my first Otakon and all, are they that scarce? I mean, I was hoping to get my hands on a copy of the live action Prince of Tennis movie...

And CDs...as most have stated, they definitely need more of those. I'm hoping to get my hands on a FLOW and M-flo CD, and what the heck, just throw a CHEMISTRY CD in there too.

Along with that, they need more underground manga...or maybe I'm using that term in the wrong sense... They need less well-known manga. Preferrably something along the lines of Baccano! and such... The stuff they have is usually mainstream (which I can understand, because it goes pretty fast) but I swear I spent almost 30 minutes at this one manga table trying to find something unrelated to vampires, ninjas and shinigami... Needless to say, my search was fruitless.

This year, I spent exactly 40 dollars in the dealers room. One buying a sword (half-price on Sunday at that) and then an OMG hat, along with a Samurai Champloo bag. The Dealer's Room, even though I wasn't there previous years to give a well-based critique, wasn't that great from what I've seen at other cons...

Yeah, the dealers room was a bit of a let down this year. I didn't spend nearly as much as I have in previous years. Even with that said I did purchase a few things this year. I got my customary Otakon baby tee, a cute messenger bag, a new Boo pig plushie, and some mangas. I was looking for more artbooks this year but from all the stands I went to they were pretty much selling the same artbooks they sell every year. I wanted some of the older stuff but wasn't able to find anything of the sort.

Here's hoping that next year you get some more cute unique jewlery stands. I was happy to see an increase in Lolita stuff but disappointed with the high prices. (Some of those dresses I could've had commisioned for way less and way better quality.)

• 1 month later...

Every con right now is getting the same criticisms -- and they pretty much always have. A small but vocal percentage of people claim that the DR has nothing they want. There's too much Naruto stuff -- but for others there isn't enough. Usually, when you dig deeper, you find they didn't locate a specific thing they were looking for on a big enough sale. Or that they're looking for stuff that's really rare.

Well, stuff is rare for a reason. I love older shows and there isn't as much merchandise left to sell for those -- and what sane shopkeeper would hold onto "Maison Ikkoku" merchandise 15 years after the show was popular, when he can pretty much guarantee he'll sell out of "Bleach" stuff?

And the more years you spend in fandom, the more you find that you HAVE a lot of stuff and there just isn't as much stuff you want. It ends up having very little to do with the selection available at any particular place.

Keep in mind, too, that Otakon actively hunts down bootlegs (which is not to say we get them all), so that eliminates a lot of the bogus merchandise that often fills the "hard-to-find" niche in hotel-based cons.

• 2 weeks later...
Keep in mind, too, that Otakon actively hunts down bootlegs (which is not to say we get them all), so that eliminates a lot of the bogus merchandise that often fills the "hard-to-find" niche in hotel-based cons.

This is why I love the DR so much. I can look at the actaul thing I'm buying before I buy it and make sure it's the real thing. I'm looking for cheaper box sets online as of late and more often than not it's priced low because it'a a bootleg and not the actual nice box set that I want.

I'm glad you found a very above-board dealer's room. We actually work pretty hard to keep out bootlegs, as several vendors have found out the hard way over the years. Of course we can't be everywhere, and some stuff inevitably slips through. And some stuff is hard to act on, because there isn't a clear-cut authority to check, and people make honest mistakes or get misled by their suppliers.

Besides, we have the industry right there and we'd lose some credibility with them if we weren't making a good-faith effort to keep out illegal stuff.

I'm glad you found a very above-board dealer's room. We actually work pretty hard to keep out bootlegs, as several vendors have found out the hard way over the years. Of course we can't be everywhere, and some stuff inevitably slips through. And some stuff is hard to act on, because there isn't a clear-cut authority to check, and people make honest mistakes or get misled by their suppliers.

Besides, we have the industry right there and we'd lose some credibility with them if we weren't making a good-faith effort to keep out illegal stuff.

Edited by Otaku Ru
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually only get manga. There is always someone who has a really good deal. Most of the other stuff I can find online for basically the same price so I don't go nuts buying plushies, pins, etc. But then again you just have to look for dealers that can make a deal with you. There was one dealer last year that put his most of this half off so you betcha I was over there!

Every con right now is getting the same criticisms -- and they pretty much always have. A small but vocal percentage of people claim that the DR has nothing they want. There's too much Naruto stuff -- but for others there isn't enough. Usually, when you dig deeper, you find they didn't locate a specific thing they were looking for on a big enough sale. Or that they're looking for stuff that's really rare.

Well, stuff is rare for a reason. I love older shows and there isn't as much merchandise left to sell for those -- and what sane shopkeeper would hold onto "Maison Ikkoku" merchandise 15 years after the show was popular, when he can pretty much guarantee he'll sell out of "Bleach" stuff?

And the more years you spend in fandom, the more you find that you HAVE a lot of stuff and there just isn't as much stuff you want. It ends up having very little to do with the selection available at any particular place.

Yeah, but we can dream.

I usually only get manga. There is always someone who has a really good deal. Most of the other stuff I can find online for basically the same price so I don't go nuts buying plushies, pins, etc. But then again you just have to look for dealers that can make a deal with you. There was one dealer last year that put his most of this half off so you betcha I was over there!

Darn, guess I need to make a more concerted effort on Sundays.

I wouldn't mind seeing more Asian decor. I did see a few tables that had some authentic paintings and clothes but I wouldn't mind finding some plates, cups, tea sets, figurines etc.

• 5 weeks later...

I love the otakon DR and I think the staff do an excellent job.

Rare stuff depends on the person.... what is rare to one person may not be rare to another. But anyway, my wishlist is:

1. Hikaru no Go stuff

2. the original Final Fantasy 7 game

3. japanese street fashion clothing

4. the utena signet ring

make sure BuyRight DVD comes! i like cheap DVDs

Edited by Duelistbluerose

I've never been there, so I don't know what they do or don't already have but I'm hoping for

Collectible Figures / PVCs, especially The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ones.

Doujinshi, Code Geass anyone? ^_^

Code Geass anything for that matter. By then Season 2 will have started so I'm thinking we'll see some stuff starting to pop up more easily.

What I'm looking for in the Dealer's Room this year:

* Code Geass art book

* Kyo Kara Maoh art books

* volume 8 of the Petit Monster manga

* the Vampire Knight cell phone strap I'm missing

* the remaining Fate/Hollow Axtera figures I didn't get last

year

* any novelty for Rozen Maiden

* any novelty for Detective Conan

* any novelty for Blood+

* any plushies that simply scream "BUY ME!"

Strangely, that's more than I thought I'd look for (and more than I can afford at one con). =P

I think I'll add to my list....

5. the Absolute Boyfriend CD drama [kinda rare]

6. La Corda D'Oro stuff

7. this is more so a "hope" - but doujinshis that are translated [?!]

8. FF7 Advent Children messenger bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm going to be looking for

Geta sandles (holy crap i really want these)

cute bentos

basically...anything cute...like rilakuma

and any jpop stuff...there is next to no JPOP stuff at cons...if I want jROCK then no problem...i like jpop better...

If the convention has some Gurren Lagann merchandise I will be happy. I think most other series I like it would be too obscure to find merchandise for.

Although if I see the Kino no Tabi figure that was released recently I might have to pick that up.

Like always, anything Trigun related is going to catch my eye. I am hoping with the creation of the Trigun movie becoming more well known, there will be more merchandise for me to get my grubby Legato-sama and Vash-kun loving hands on.

Other then that, I am always looking for KIBA merch, Zombie Powder stuff..though thats rare, and oh..of course bleach. I am not into Naruto so much but there is a few characters..such as Kisame i wouldn't mind somethings of.

Last years room I agree seemed to hold more generic merchandise then the previous year. Granted the room is still HUGE and I found tons of things, I am just hoping there will be more strait imports of little goodies you cant find here. I wish I had the money for some amazing things, but usually I have to hold back on smaller figures, and plushies.

Well heres for the Otakon dealers room, may it be awesome for the fans and the dealers!

~Cheers

How about cheaper Geneon boxsets? xDD

Music and Anime is what I'm looking for....some good Manga too.....specialty items are fun as well (such as the Resident Evil T-Virus Antidote Energy Drink)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.