Hotels Discussion

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I finally got a room now at the Holiday Inn now, Iā€™m extremely relived.

Though from my hotel calls I got this:

Sheraton Inner Harbor ā€“ sold out

Hyatt ā€“ sold out

Marriot Inner Harbor ā€“ sold out, person on the line also told me entire hotel was sold out too.

I put this up in the Days Inn 08 thread, just wanted to get it out there if it helps any:

=================================================

Just something I'm sure not necessary but something I wanted to get out there regardless:

There are still King beds at the Radison and Doubles at Holiday Inn, at least I'm fairly sure... and plenty available at the Holiday Express about 1.5 miles from the BBC for Doubles at 149 I think or in that area... hope this helps anyone not wanting to pay Days Inns meiserish, opprotunist, A-Hole prices Crying or Very sad

=================================================

edit: apparently the Holiday Inn is sold out... well hopefully the Radison or H-express? I know there are other less mentioned ones close by but they have a quiet rule and just me personally I would like to go back to my room after a 20 hour day and kick back a few while playing Brawl and Halo3... but to each his/her own

Kudos

ok wow... I hadn't read all the most recent posts, I thought the radison still had some rooms left but people are saying that's sold out as well

I got in with holiday and cancelled at Radison yesterday, odds are it was taken but maybe they just haven't updated with eachother, the national line and the hotel I mean, and there might be 2 kings opening up soon :?:

hopefully... :cry:

ok wow... I hadn't read all the most recent posts, I thought the radison still had some rooms left but people are saying that's sold out as well

I got in with holiday and cancelled at Radison yesterday, odds are it was taken but maybe they just haven't updated with eachother, the national line and the hotel I mean, and there might be 2 kings opening up soon :?:

Hopefully people won't panic when they read all these sold out posts. It is only the days Inn that seems to be sold out completely. The other sold out posts are only Otakon rates. They still have rooms, just for a higher price. I just checked the Holiday Inn and the Radisson and both of them have bookable rooms.

I've been coming to Otakon for many years, and I've never seen chaos like this. What the heck is going on?

The Hyatt tells me that the "Otakon Members" rate is sold out -- not "Locked until 6 months before the convention" as claimed in another post; sold out. The Hyatt quotes me $489 for a room. In 2002, I made a reservation there 3 months bfore the convention, and got a nice room on the Club Floor for a very decent rate.

The Sheraton says that they have rooms: for $1160 per night (!)

The Marriott Inner Harbor told me on the phone that the hotel is completely sold out. But, their web site took my credit card number and sold me a room at a decent rate.

Not quite trusting the Marriott, I made a second reservation at a different hotel that is off the Otakon radar, just in case. I'll cancel one of the reservations when I have some confidence that the reservations are real.

This looks like total chaos on the Otakon hotel scene. What's going on this year?

I remember getting a room at the Hyatt for $101 a night way back in 1999 (Otakon's first year at the BCC).

Ah yes, those were the good old days! Back in 2000, I didn't decide to attend the con until about 2 weeks prior, and I still got a room at the Days Inn for about $125/night. Now you need to call a year in advance just to get a room anywhere!

This is going to be my first year back at the Days Inn since then - every other year I've stayed at the Wyndham (now the Sheraton).

I've been trying to book a ---- hotel at the Holiday in for weeks. Kept getting a too early message on line. We called. Got the same answer along with the otakon reate wasn't up yet, even though the main site (updated, mind you) sad the rates were there. I tried to give it a break, tinking I was just rushing too much, and stressing it. I calmed down. Low and behold, Otakon rates went up this Monday, and sold out by Wednesday.

What the hell?! I starting to get a little pissed about this. I can barely afford to go, All the money I end up spending in hotel fees could be spent in the dealers room or feeding my self more than 3 times. :evil:

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! There are hotels already sold out?! omg...

>.> I might as well just find a random ass hotel and go with that...because...I NEEEED TO GO TO THIS! I MUST! ._. but it would be nice to go to the Sheraton or something...I don't want to end up in a 2 star hotel Dx

How will I do that?

I am so confused.

The Otakon hotel information page says ---$ for a room at a hotel, yet on their web sight its about 200+ Dollors more. How to i see the REAL price/Book the room at the otakon pricee??? (yes, im a newbbb)

You can't get the Otakon rates through the hotel websites. The prices on the websites are usually the "best available" rates. You have to call the hotels and specifically ask for the Otakon rate. It's best if you call the actual hotel and not the national reservation line. Though sometimes you can get the block price through the national lines. And remember, some of the hotels are sold out of otakon block rooms, so you may have to get the available room rates. Things like AAA memberships can also help lower the price in some cases.

Rawr,

and the bad part is, is that I'm only 13

I have no money

My parents say,

"WAIT TILL NEXT FREGGIN YEAR."

Till I get a room.

So, basically

I'm screwed aren't I D:

Unless, I work my @$$ off during the next week to get some money to pay them. Which is un-likely.

...Money for the sad-taku? T_T

Rawr,

and the bad part is, is that I'm only 13

I have no money

My parents say,

"WAIT TILL NEXT FREGGIN YEAR."

Till I get a room.

So, basically

I'm screwed aren't I D:

Unless, I work my @$$ off during the next week to get some money to pay them. Which is un-likely.

...Money for the sad-taku? T_T

You can't rent a hotel room until you're 18 anyway.

I reserved a hotel room for Otakon 06 and checked in and everything despite being underage. But hey, that was then.

And if I recall, you were 17 going on 18 or something like that. Big difference from being a 13 year old and trying to do the same thing.

Well by the time otakon 2008 comes round' I'll be 14. I still don't think it will work if i have to be 18. >< ugh. Stupid under-age law! -.-;

Great, now I have to convince my mom to stay with me.

Oh, and can anyone tell me what hotels are already sold out? that would be a great help. thanks (:

Are we sure the Marriot Inner Harbor is sold out? My friend just called and was able to get a double room there at the otakon rate. I've seen people saying it's sold out, so I'm a little worried.

To the 13 yr old, you technically only need someone of age to check you in. Not stay with you.

tech7: I've been getting the same thing from the Renaissance since they started taking reservations for that weekend. They claimed they "probably" sold out in the first few hours but I think she was BS'ing completely as there are much closer/cheaper hotels people would have gone to. In my 4 or 5 years of experience, I've never seen the Renaissance rooms go away like that, especially the Water View ones that are like $150/night more than the other rooms. Plus the lack of an Otakon block makes me wonder just what is going on over there, I've stayed there every year and would hate to have to go somewhere else.

I imagine that closer to the summer every hotel will start to open up as people cancel (like every year before). So I'm just gonna keep bugging the Renaissance till I get my room. Got a back up room at the Residence Inn, just to be safe.

be careful about the 18 age mark for checking in. I know that there are some hotels that actually require someone 21(though I have no personal experience with this in baltimore, I've seen it when booking hotels in other cities), so if you are 18-20, I would check that out too.

To the 13 yr old, you technically only need someone of age to check you in. Not stay with you.

It's true that you can possibly get away with it, but I wouldn't recommend it. There's a TON of liability issues involved, plus safety issues. Most hotels require at least one person in the room be of legal age.

If your mom checks you in and then leaves you there all weekend, if anything happens, she could face negligence charges.

I just booked yesterday at the Raddison Lord Baltimore, and they mentioned that when I arrive, I need to bring my "event invitation" for Otakon (I guess to prove I am attending and deserve the con rate). Can the Otakorp Hotel Liason inform them that our convention ISN'T by invitation, and that if they DO require proof of attending the convention, they should request people bring a printout of their convention registration reciept if they are pre-reg'ed, and some other suitable proof they are attending the con if they are not pre-reg'ed.

I'm not 100% sure what they were talking about

I reserved a hotel room for Otakon 06 and checked in and everything despite being underage. But hey, that was then.

And if I recall, you were 17 going on 18 or something like that. Big difference from being a 13 year old and trying to do the same thing.

I just booked yesterday at the Raddison Lord Baltimore, and they mentioned that when I arrive, I need to bring my "event invitation" for Otakon (I guess to prove I am attending and deserve the con rate).

I booked there earlier and they never said anything like that. This year I just printed out my Radisson page and used the Express check-in (available through the web the week before) and it went very smoothly. Maybe because my name is on the credit card (though its my mom's), they didn't bother asking me about it. I was under the impression you needed to be 21 there, and I had just turned 18.

My first Otakon, I was 13 and stayed with my friend's parents. I wouldn't change that, as I'd be entirely clueless back then on my own. Its just not safe to be on your own, even walking around at night there.

You need to be 21 to stay in a room with a minibar.

I just booked yesterday at the Raddison Lord Baltimore, and they mentioned that when I arrive, I need to bring my "event invitation" for Otakon (I guess to prove I am attending and deserve the con rate).

I booked there earlier and they never said anything like that. This year I just printed out my Radisson page and used the Express check-in (available through the web the week before) and it went very smoothly. Maybe because my name is on the credit card (though its my mom's), they didn't bother asking me about it. I was under the impression you needed to be 21 there, and I had just turned 18.

My first Otakon, I was 13 and stayed with my friend's parents. I wouldn't change that, as I'd be entirely clueless back then on my own. Its just not safe to be on your own, even walking around at night there.

yes its stocked, but even if you do have a giant budget, i advise you put a padlock on the fridge to keep people out...unless you want a 2000-3000 dollar charge on your card

course with a birthdate of 05-08-1989 ru, i dont advise you go out in public after drinking from that minibar, after the sheraton fiasco on the bridge, if your not in the convention center where the staff will handle you being drunk, the cops will

I know there is a hotels page, but does anyone know how up to date it is. Also when it says ALOT of the yadda yadda, is that how many are taken or left, its not clear.

Generally speaking, it gets updated when we get new info from the hotels, and we try to do it monthly -- but in practice, between con and our election meeting (next week), most of the staff is taking a break from con stuff (and most of our attention is devoted to urgent stuff like properly closing out the prior year, or in my case, costing out various musical acts that need long lead time for planning).

I think Sam's supposed to follow up on hotel stuff when he gets back from wherever it is that he's off to right now.

I just booked yesterday at the Raddison Lord Baltimore, and they mentioned that when I arrive, I need to bring my "event invitation" for Otakon (I guess to prove I am attending and deserve the con rate). Can the Otakorp Hotel Liason inform them that our convention ISN'T by invitation, and that if they DO require proof of attending the convention, they should request people bring a printout of their convention registration reciept if they are pre-reg'ed, and some other suitable proof they are attending the con if they are not pre-reg'ed.

I'm not 100% sure what they were talking about

yes its stocked, but even if you do have a giant budget, i advise you put a padlock on the fridge to keep people out...unless you want a 2000-3000 dollar charge on your card

course with a birthdate of 05-08-1989 ru, i dont advise you go out in public after drinking from that minibar, after the sheraton fiasco on the bridge, if your not in the convention center where the staff will handle you being drunk, the cops will

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.