Hotels Discussion

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*grins*

If you ask me... I say what's wrong with a little social gathering, drunken cosplay :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Things like the Sheraton bridge incident... T.T

Not to interrupt the riveting conversation going on here...

But I'm staying at the Wyndam (I refuse to call it the Sheraton...since there's like 50 of those around now...). I stayed there last year and it was pretty nice, and what's more my mom knows the manager! =D Discounts galore! (Last year we got free breakfast).

Well, I've already got like...7 roommates, and only six of us are paying (one's female, and I told her that I'd cover the hotel cost for her...chivalry ain't dead!) But as stated earlier, the Wyndham is my choice for hotel staying. They've got a grand piano right next to the elevator, so I just go there to jam out.

And going on pricing last year (145 a night for the Wyndham) I believe that we'll actually save enough to do something extra! =D (We're staying from Thursday to Sunday I believe...or Friday to Monday).

That's what I showed when I stayed there year before last. Worst experience of my life. I'll pay the extra money I'd be spending there and go some where else.
Well, I've already got like...7 roommates, and only six of us are paying (one's female, and I told her that I'd cover the hotel cost for her...chivalry ain't dead!) But as stated earlier, the Wyndham is my choice for hotel staying. They've got a grand piano right next to the elevator, so I just go there to jam out.

And going on pricing last year (145 a night for the Wyndham) I believe that we'll actually save enough to do something extra! =D (We're staying from Thursday to Sunday I believe...or Friday to Monday).

Well, that would definitely put my girlfriend on edge... She's severely over protective...but then again, I guess that's the mindset of people nowadays, you do something nice for a female, and everyone thinks you're trying to get something out of it. Can't a guy just be nice with no repercussions?

But yes, we're trying to cut down on the cost as much as possible...and we're most likely getting a suite (again, connections help a lot) so we'll hopefully have room to fit everyone...

But enough of that.

That's what I showed when I stayed there year before last. Worst experience of my life. I'll pay the extra money I'd be spending there and go some where else.

That bad? Really? Worse than my experience at the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor this year (4 seperate keycards repeatedly stopping working, necessitating a trip back down 3 floors in the elevator/stairs to the front desk to have them re-encoded each time, 6 of such trips were made on Saturday alone, always with the admonition to keep them away from magnets and cell phones (which we DID from the very start Thursday)? Did I mention that since the room was in MY name, I had to be present each time the cards ceased working for myself and/or my 2 roommates?

That sucked so much (it seems minor, but it really became a big ol' pain in the ass...)! That, along with the HIIH being sold out when I tried to book, is why I'm staying at the Raddison. Plus, the Raddison is slightly cheaper, though it is a block or so further away from the BCC than the Days/Holiday Inns I stayed in previously.

I hope to get a room in the new hotel they're building attached to the BCC in 2009 (provided we're IN Baltimore again in 2009).

Just so people know - my friends and I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel (The one in The Galleria, number 12 on the Otakon hotel map) for two years and it's a VERY nice place. EASILY fit 7 in a room. (two double beds, plus I bring my own foam mats for the floor, plenty of room for them and everything). And at around 200 a night it’s decent price too. It’s about a 3-block walk, but it’s an easy walk, just one street to cross and there IS a skywalk…and it’s a good area, right through the skywalk to/through the mall or even on the street along the harbor. And free apples (in place of candy) at the desk in the lobby, :lol: LOL.

This year tho I got a 2 double beds room at the Sheraton Inner Harbor Otakon block. :D I’m exited to stay so close! We’ve always wanted too but never called early enough. I’m spoiling us cause this may be my last Otakon…graduating from college and all this year, I may be elsewhere in 2009.

Anyone ever stay there? What you think of it?

I'm booking the room for my group this year, we usually have about 8 people. I'll probably be booking at the Sheraton when Otakon sorts out the contract with them. Judging from other years, It's usually the cheapest. I usually end up staying at the Holiday Inn but now that it's booked I'm going to try that hotel out. I haven't read great things about it, but I did stop by there last year to hang out with one of my friends who was staying there, and it seemed fine to me.

• 1 month later...

The Sheraton in general is a good hotel chain, and if it's the one I'm thinking of it's directly connected to the BCC, which should make it easy to get back and forth between the con and your room. The rooms also were pretty good, best I can recall from the last time I visited there.

The Sheraton in general is a good hotel chain, and if it's the one I'm thinking of it's directly connected to the BCC, which should make it easy to get back and forth between the con and your room. The rooms also were pretty good, best I can recall from the last time I visited there.

The City Center Sheraton used to be the Wyndham, and is supposed to be pretty nice. As Lou mentioned, Sheraton is generally a very good line of hotels. It's a few blocks away, but even if you're walking back late at night, as long as you're not by yourself you'll be fine. :lol:

well, thankies mucho!!

i just wish the people i'm going with would make up their mind so i could reserve a room :?

Oh!! check-out time...i know you should probably check-in on thursday, for badge pick-up, but aren't check-out times typically around noon?

the con doesn't let out til like, 4, so i wouldn't want to reserve another night if i didn't need it.

What's the typical check-out time?

It varies from hotel to hotel; sometimes it's as early as 10AM, sometimes as late as noon. Some hotels will hold your baggage for you, others won't.

Your best bet is to call the hotel and ask them.

I stayed there last year and the rooms were very nice. The walk isn't bad either, it took less than 5 minutes just meandering along. I believe check-out time was 11am last year...but be careful because I arrived about noon on Friday and their parking was completely full aside from the $30/day valet parking. And we checked out Saturday morning and left about 2 am Sunday, they had no problem holding our bags, they even locked up my laptop!

Treemont Park/Plaza. Any sort of testimonies from there? My group is planning on going there soon. Excuse my newbiness, as Im all sorts of new to this stuff. When you call to reserve the room, you're required to give a credit card number? If so they don't charge it, its just in case you dont show up correct? Next, when you do show up, its entirely possible to not pay with that card, but with cash or a different card correct? ^^/ Thanks~

Treemont Park/Plaza. Any sort of testimonies from there? My group is planning on going there soon. Excuse my newbiness, as Im all sorts of new to this stuff. When you call to reserve the room, you're required to give a credit card number? If so they don't charge it, its just in case you dont show up correct? Next, when you do show up, its entirely possible to not pay with that card, but with cash or a different card correct? ^^/ Thanks~

Anyone know if the Sheraton Inner Harbor waitlists? I really really want to stay there again, but they're completely sold out already. I know some people will probably drop rooms closer to the event, but I can't really keep up with calling every week or so to scavenge a room.

Anyone know if the Sheraton Inner Harbor waitlists? I really really want to stay there again, but they're completely sold out already. I know some people will probably drop rooms closer to the event, but I can't really keep up with calling every week or so to scavenge a room.
con rooms that are canceled that late are "lost" so to say, thats why you transfer them instead of canceling them to people that actually want the room

How late would be too late?

Usually they must be cancelled by the last date that they allow you to reserve under that rate.

Every cancellation, however, may count against our totals, and may imperil our ability to get a good rate. We had a LOT of cancelled rooms and no-shows in 2007, and it cost the con money. (Part of that was due to basing our negotiated con-rate room blocks on what we sold out in 2006; that number may well have been inflated by the Yankee infestation.)

so the moral of the story is, DONT RESERVE UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

but of course, we will always of people that just have to fill up a hotel then cancel their rooms and/or not show. people didnt want to listen to me two years ago when i said it would hurt the con and we end up paying for it. now we are paying it in higher hotel prices.

Agreed on all of the points of hotel etiquette on all points. I know which hotel I want to be at, and I know that I won't reserve a room at another as a stopgap, just because they use reservations as a numbers thing--basically, if they make a block of 200 rooms and all of them sell out, they count those 200 as proof that Otakon can sell out a block of at least 200. If, then, 50 of those rooms back out, even if they're filled, it doesn't count toward Otakon; every room dropped takes a number out of the total. So if Otakon sells 200 rooms, 50 back out, and then Otakon proceeds to sell out the rest of the hotel, only 150 of those rooms count toward Otakon. It looks (to the hotel) like Otakon can't fill 200, which leads to higher rates and less rooms next year.

tl;dr--I think I'll just wait and call back tomorrow.

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites. My dad has a ton of Hilton rewards points (being a diamond member), so we're getting our room for free. No one seems to know about it though, even though it's like three blocks away from the convention center. XD

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites. My dad has a ton of Hilton rewards points (being a diamond member), so we're getting our room for free. No one seems to know about it though, even though it's like three blocks away from the convention center. XD

Mostly because it is jusssst off the edge of the map, and (as Sam mentioned a while back) they usually forget to negotiate rates there.

I will eventually have to get around to figuring out how to transfer rooms there, as it was my original pick before some of the better con rate blocks opened, and the standard rates are now higher than my reservation ... unless decent rates are announced and I can switch into that block to gain a cheap breakfast in the deal.

Edited by Transepoch
  • 1 month later...

OK, I have 3 questions in regards to hotels. This is going to be my 2nd time going to Otakon, but since I'm going by myself and I'm not the richest person on earth, I couldn't sign up for one of the convention hotels in downtown myself. This leads to my first question (or actually pair of questions).

One, when do people usually start looking for people to fill out their hotel rooms in downtown, and what is the typical arrangement (does it usually end up being packed rooms with 8, 10, 15, whatever people in it, for example),

And two, if I was looking at something like staying in a room with only 4 other people or so within a couple blocks of the BCC, what is usually the asking price for that?

The second question is whether people know how long it takes for hotels around BWI to usually sell out (or whether they do) in a situation like this year where Otakon and baseball games are going on at the same time. I'm just wondering whether I should get something now or wait to see if any deals come up. (Last year I was able to grab a 30% off deal at the Microtel in Linthicum a month or so before the convention, for example. But if everything will be gone by then, then obviously I don't want to hold off).

Third, and this has less to do with Otakon than a general hotel reservation question, but has anyone used a service like hotwire to reserve a hotel around BWI, and if so, what hotels do you usually end up getting. I'm just wondering since you can't see what hotel you get until after you reserve (and you can't cancel the reservation). I can take an educated guess, but if anyone already knows, then that's cool.

Thanks.

OK, I have 3 questions in regards to hotels. This is going to be my 2nd time going to Otakon, but since I'm going by myself and I'm not the richest person on earth, I couldn't sign up for one of the convention hotels in downtown myself. This leads to my first question (or actually pair of questions).

One, when do people usually start looking for people to fill out their hotel rooms in downtown, and what is the typical arrangement (does it usually end up being packed rooms with 8, 10, 15, whatever people in it, for example),

And two, if I was looking at something like staying in a room with only 4 other people or so within a couple blocks of the BCC, what is usually the asking price for that?

The second question is whether people know how long it takes for hotels around BWI to usually sell out (or whether they do) in a situation like this year where Otakon and baseball games are going on at the same time. I'm just wondering whether I should get something now or wait to see if any deals come up. (Last year I was able to grab a 30% off deal at the Microtel in Linthicum a month or so before the convention, for example. But if everything will be gone by then, then obviously I don't want to hold off).

Third, and this has less to do with Otakon than a general hotel reservation question, but has anyone used a service like hotwire to reserve a hotel around BWI, and if so, what hotels do you usually end up getting. I'm just wondering since you can't see what hotel you get until after you reserve (and you can't cancel the reservation). I can take an educated guess, but if anyone already knows, then that's cool.

Thanks.

Thanks.

2 questions from me I guess.

1) There's other hotels I'm looking into, specifically the Radisson and Shearton Inner City. However, the Radisson said they were booked and the Sheraton claimed they weren't taking any more reservations from December 5th. I really want one of these hotels for the price since I really don't feel like paying the 219 at the Tremont with my budget with my friends. When would be a good time to call the hotels in hope that someone canceled?

2) If I happen to get stuck at the Tremont, what is the maximum number of people you can have in a room?

Thanks!

2 questions from me I guess.

1) There's other hotels I'm looking into, specifically the Radisson and Shearton Inner City. However, the Radisson said they were booked and the Sheraton claimed they weren't taking any more reservations from December 5th. I really want one of these hotels for the price since I really don't feel like paying the 219 at the Tremont with my budget with my friends. When would be a good time to call the hotels in hope that someone canceled?

2) If I happen to get stuck at the Tremont, what is the maximum number of people you can have in a room?

Thanks!

1) once a day if you can afford long distance charges if you're far away. Best idea would be to call the hotel directly (not the 1-800 number) and try to reserve through there during their reservation hours. (check hotel websites for info on such)

2) Tremont is good except for the distance. They have a free shuttle that'll take you to the convention (but i'd tip the driver a couple bucks anyways - for 4 or 5 people, that's not much). Maximum number of people officially is four. But I have...*coughcough* heard *coughcough* that there have been more. Even up to 8. But doing so is at your own risk and at the discretion of the hotel on what they'll do if they find out.

One possible alternative for those who may not mind hiking to and from the convention center is the Baltimore Hostel. It's about 7 blocks from the center (and about a half mile from the nearest light rail station) on Mulberry Street. Parking is only $5 a night and it is apparently $28 a night for a dorm room (4, 8, or 12 beds a room) or $63 for a private room if you don't have a hostel membership.

Has TV, air conditioning, WiFi, etc.

http://www.baltimorehostel.org/

7 blocks seems a little far to me to walk at night with a good walk from the light rail to boot to me, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Hostelling is a BAD idea if you bring a lot of luggage. I've traveled and stayed in hostels a lot and there's not much space for your stuff - usually you get a relatively small locker that you can fit a big backpacking pack into, but that's about all. If you travel light, they're a reasonable, cheap alternative to hotels. Also keep in mind that you usually share a bathroom with anywhere from ten to thirty other people.

One possible alternative for those who may not mind hiking to and from the convention center is the Baltimore Hostel. It's about 7 blocks from the center (and about a half mile from the nearest light rail station) on Mulberry Street. Parking is only $5 a night and it is apparently $28 a night for a dorm room (4, 8, or 12 beds a room) or $63 for a private room if you don't have a hostel membership.

7 blocks seems a little far to me to walk at night with a good walk from the light rail to boot to me, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

heres a thought can you rent an entire dorm? if so it be cool if a bunch of otakus with out a room booked together and asked for the same room

I've stayed at hostels quite extensively in my travels in New Zealand. The best way to arrange that would be to call the hostel itself and request a reservation for a group (of 4 or 8 or whatever) and see if they can accommodate you all in one room. But remember, if you have only 7 in a room that can hold 8, then they might fill up that last spot with a random stranger so make sure to have the right numbers.

And while hostels are great for the price, don't expect any frills like irons/ironing boards or closets to hang up clothes in (this would mostly concern cosplayers I think).

The next part of the video showed about 40 kids in the hallway of the Sheraton making all sorts of noise (of which there were MANY complaints, from what I've heard) and dragging furniture into the hotel elevators and leaving it there

Does anyone know the username of the video poster, I was the instigator (one of them) of the fun, didn't know there was video proof and wouldn't mind seeing it

The next part of the video showed about 40 kids in the hallway of the Sheraton making all sorts of noise (of which there were MANY complaints, from what I've heard) and dragging furniture into the hotel elevators and leaving it there

Does anyone know the username of the video poster, I was the instigator (one of them) of the fun, didn't know there was video proof and wouldn't mind seeing it

the "proof" was already seen before the user on youtube privated the video. unless you have some odd reason to brag about the trouble you caused, i advise you distance yourself from the video as much as possible. but thats could be too late with your post

Please tell me that you just didn't come onto the Otakon boards and admit that you instigated something that could really cause problems with Otakon and their hotel contracts. It may be fun to have 40 kids running around the halls to you and it may be fun to drag furniture in the hotel elevator to you, but it isn't fun for the people that have to clean up the mess, and it certainly isn't fun for the Otakon staff that has to negotiate for these hotel rooms.

I also don't believe that you will really endear yourself to the people on these forums too much either.

If I misunderstood you and you really had nothing to do with anything then forgive me, but if I did understand you then please grow up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.