What must the citizens of Baltimore think...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last year was my first otakon, and i dressed up as a cat/fox person, so basically i had a tail, and my friend was Edd from FMA metalic arm and all, and we didnt get any strange looks on the light rail, but at the inner harbor it was O.o all the time! lol this one family asked us what it was all about we were all otakon! and one person was interested in coming next year even.

Well Baltimore's a Big City, So they probally expected something like a convention to be there, so they probally wont suprised when otakon came, because they have a big city, so its the perfect place for otakon:D

Not to mention they have outstanding crab cakes. =3

Baltimore born and raised, and yes with the mixture of Old Bay and awesome Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes, we own when it comes to seafood.

Not to mention they have outstanding crab cakes. =3

Baltimore born and raised, and yes with the mixture of Old Bay and awesome Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes, we own when it comes to seafood.

Hell yea to that!!! I was raised in Baltimore and crab cakes here in Baltimore is the best seafood you could ever have in Baltimore.

• 1 month later...
Well, Otakon has been there for 14 years now so the people are kinda used to it by now.

You'd think that but every year I explain to some one who has lived in Baltimore for multiple years what is going on. I don't know how someone could live /work in the inner harbor for more than two years and not have any idea that Otakon exists, but there you go.

I say we hang up giant banners next time.

/STAFF MODE OFF, ONLY PERSONAL COMMENTARY

I know there was a discussion about this (and sidewalk-chalk art, etc) a year or two ago, but it wound up not happening. I think it'd be a cool idea, though I've no knowledge of potential costs or permissions (from the city and/or BCC) or anything.

/STAFF MODE ON

There really was a discussion on about advertising Otakon using banners and stuff. I was just joking, but on a more serious note it would probably be nice to see a banner of some sort about Otakon hanging up somewhere to let people know, but then again I kinda like it being hidden in a way.

I neve saw it, but I didnt start going to Otakon until 2004 so it might have been up before then. Yeah the con has been going strong since 1999 I think, correct me if I'm wrong, and I didnt find out about it until 2004. I got lucky when I found out to if it wasnt for one my graduated high school friends I would have never known about it.

For the most part, Baltimore enjoys the presence of Otakon. Almost everyone knows about the one time during the summer where people dress up in costumes during the hottest time of the year, even if they don't know that it is specifically Otakon.

For years, I wasn't able to go due to my job at the time (used to work in theatre and opera for a long time) because of the schedule I had to keep. In case you haven't noticed, but part of the reason for the heavy trraffic in the past was largely due to people like me slowling down to get a better look. I think that for the average Baltimorean, it is a bemused wonderment for those three days out of the year.

Behind the scenes (as in city government, service industries, non-profits, tourism and such), Baltimore knows eactly what Otakon is and prepares for it every year. Otakon creates a statistical blip financially. While not as high as ArtScape, the numbers that Otakon generates is impressive. it is one the most successful, re-occuring conventions that come here.

While I was sadden to read about the mugging in this thread, and a couple of posts that were negative about crime in Baltimore, I feel that I should mention a few things. First, to all of those who mention how safe you actually are, it's true. Statistically speaking, the average city-dweller has a very small chance of being killed or being a victim of a crime. Second, it's even lower since most of you are out-of-towners and move around in one of the traditionally safest parts of the city, the odds are even lower for you becoming a victim. Third, the city increases patrols and the amount of officers in and around the Inner Harbor and the convention center; Otakon essentially has its own body guard unit!

The traffic pattern, just to warn you, to the west of the center will change somewhat. It looks like there may also be a new skywalk connecting the west side of the center to the parking garage/hotel/business complex being built directly across the street (Howard Street). Not sure if it will be open in time. I believe the hotel will be a Hilton. The O's play the Rangers at Camden - given our past-horrific season, and that it is the Rangers, not the the Yankees, the game shouldn't cause too many problems.

Yes, Baltimore likes Otakon!

For years, I wasn't able to go due to my job at the time (used to work in theatre and opera for a long time) because of the schedule I had to keep. In case you haven't noticed, but part of the reason for the heavy traffic in the past was largely due to people like me slowling down to get a better look.

We ran into the nicest people last year.

On the first day, our stepdaughter left her pirate hat on the roof of our car. As we were driving away we heard some guy yelling at us to stop. He had found the hat and returned it to us.

The next day we went to the parking garage to retrieve our car and went to pay only to find out that we didn't bring enough money. A random stranger gave us ten bucks for parking and did not want us to find an ATM to pay her back.

Truly some nice people in Baltimore.

I was Aeris from FF7 and my friend was yoruichi from bleach. We left our hotel saturday morning and went to McDonalds for breakfast. Of course the place was PACKED full of otaku and cosplayers. The McDonalds staff had huge grins on their faces and were having a merry old time serving all the otaku.

When it was my time to order the women just stood there looking at me. She said, ".... and what are you supposed to be?" I just said I was a video game character - 'cause it's not like she would know anyway [lol]. Still not taking my order she begins to tell me this story, "...... the other day a girl in a Burger King costume came in here and ordered food! Burger King! Man, these dorks...." [she muffled "dorks" when she said it!]

I also had the ackward elevator moment..... man, that was funny. But the MOST ackward expierence I had all weekend cosplaying was going to the Bank of America on Friday morning to get some money for the weekend. Me and a guy friend of mine [who was not cosplaying] walked into the bank and ALL eyes fell onto me. I felt SO uncomfortable. No one said anything but there was definately laughter. The bank teller also laughed the entire time I was with her.

Now, I could not have been the only cosplayer to enter that bank. Why was I treated like a freak-of-the-week? I am new to cosplay so maybe it's something I have to get used to. :D;

Now, I could not have been the only cosplayer to enter that bank. Why was I treated like a freak-of-the-week? I am new to cosplay so maybe it's something I have to get used to. :lol:;

That is THE BEST feeling in the world, IMO. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

OMG last year i was on the elevator at my hotel (dressed as Kairi from kingdom hearts at the moment with a marluxia next to me) and someone who wasnt in the con said to me ''hi miss is this a star trek convention'' i was like >.> WUT?? we dont even look like star trek people >< jebus stupid

OMG last year i was on the elevator at my hotel (dressed as Kairi from kingdom hearts at the moment with a marluxia next to me) and someone who wasnt in the con said to me ''hi miss is this a star trek convention'' i was like >.> WUT?? we dont even look like star trek people >< jebus stupid
Edited by Otaku Ru
  • 2 weeks later...
upstanding citizen of Baltimore
having been a resident of the baltimore area for almost twenty years, i can tell you with absolute certainty that this right here is an oxymoron.

as long as your cosplay doesn't involve baggy pants that are down to your knees and allowing boxers and thongs to show, and as long as you don't smell like the drink you have concealed in a paper bag you're carrying, and as long as your reason for getting people's attention doesn't involve asking them for money they can spare, you're probably an improvement over what most of us are used to seeing in the city.

Edited by Touya
Edit-And on the crime topic, you'd be surprised how little theft/violent crime happens on pratt/inner harbor/fells point. It's mostly drunk fights, and other such adolescent duggery. most of the violent crime that gives baltimore it's bad rap is centered around 3-5 sizeable communites, most of which are miles from the BCC.

STAY AWAY FROM EAST LAFAYETTE AND NORTH AVE! It won't be fun walking around there in a costume ;x

A lot of petty theft actually does occur around the convention center, particularly during high-volume conventions like Otakon when the panhandlers think they can guilt-trip people walking by themselves, or when con artists get into full swing. Which is why Otakon always advises congoers to travel in groups, especially after dark. Lonely tourists are prime targets for misdemeanor crimes.

Additionally, few (if any) congoers have any reason to travel near North Avenue, especially while in cosplay. No, it's not a good neighborhood - it's also extremely far from the convention center and all touristy areas of Baltimore, and excepting the Light Rail stop at North Ave and Mt. Royal, there's nothing of interest for folks from out of town in that part of the city.

This isn't on-topic, though, so... resume. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest princesshaichu

In 2006, me and a bunch of my friends got out of the BCC around when the big Yanks/whoever B'more's team is game was letting out... all these drunken fans started asking us what the hell we were, and one asked if it was... a face painting convention? (?! lolita =/= facepaint!) I told him it was, though. We had this whole long dragged out conversation where my friends and I just misinformed them all over the place.

It's funny, but I got more wierd looks walking down to the convention in full Lolita garb than when I was my Zero helmet. Might have been the lack of completeness for the latter but I got stopped multiple times for the Lolita outfit. The pauses after I had given a brief explination was amusing.

It's funny, but I got more wierd looks walking down to the convention in full Lolita garb than when I was my Zero helmet. Might have been the lack of completeness for the latter but I got stopped multiple times for the Lolita outfit. The pauses after I had given a brief explination was amusing.

More like the 'right, good for you' look. :blink: At least they were polite and were not rude or anything. I just got the impression that they were either giggling or going OMG after they walked away. Still, it was nice to be noticed; most people just sort of glanced and continued walking by. Costume overload I guess.

Yeah I got plenty of different looks and impressions. One time as some cars stoped at a light some kid saw me cosplaying and I heard him say cool. That actually made me feel good about my costume though although it was from some random kid who was probably in elementary school. Another time a group of girls wanted to take a picture with me and my friend and then they commented me about my bright orange wig. Other than that it was mostly just OMG or WTF stares. I say all the cosplayers should go down to the harbor that saturday furing the con and just overun the harbor. lol

I say all the cosplayers should go down to the harbor that saturday furing the con and just overun the harbor. lol

^_^ that already happens. do you go to the food court...... that entire place is full of people in costumes eating their meals and I love it.

and the harry potter midnight party was also special. funny thing is, the harry potter cosplayers that weren't associated with the con were giving cosplayers weird looks! HOW can you do that, I mean you're wearing harry potter clothes! dont they realize THAT is also cosplay?

I say all the cosplayers should go down to the harbor that saturday furing the con and just overun the harbor. lol

<_< that already happens. do you go to the food court...... that entire place is full of people in costumes eating their meals and I love it.

and the harry potter midnight party was also special. funny thing is, the harry potter cosplayers that weren't associated with the con were giving cosplayers weird looks! HOW can you do that, I mean you're wearing harry potter clothes! dont they realize THAT is also cosplay?

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I hate that. Whenever any of my mom's co-workers ask her what an anime convention is, she always says 'It's like a Trekkie convention. They all dress up; It's really cute!'

It annoys me to no end, and she knows that.

Edited by Otaku Ru

Ugh, I hate that. Whenever any of my mom's co-workers ask her what an anime convention is, she always says 'It's like a Trekkie convention. They all dress up; It's really cute!'

It annoys me to no end, and she knows that.

i know exactly >< i mean even cartoon network is playing anime now come on >< and if they know what startrek and starwars is they would know that none of these people even look like them ><

Most people don't follow sci-fi stuff at all. Star Trek and Star Wars both permeated the market enough during their runs that even if someone never watched either of them, they'd know that there were aliens and monsters and strangely-costumed characters, or characters with sci-fi looking props. To them, anime is just as foreign and mysterious as Japan itself. You do yourself, and anime, a disservice if you treat their innocent questions with arrogance and scorn: here are people who are curious (and brave!) enough to ask these strange-looking folk what's going on. They probably recognize that you don't look like a normal Star Wars character, but for someone who doesn't follow science fiction or anime or anything like that, they have nothing better to guess than that.

I'm not saying don't correct them, but do so politely. "Oh, I'm dressed as a character from an anime. [You'll probably get a blank stare or a polite smile+nod.] Do you remember Pokemon? Pokemon is an anime." You have to be patient and give them a reference point that they can relate to or understand. Pokemon might be a lame example for those of us who are into anime, but it was and is wildly popular in the same way that Star Wars and Star Trek were and are.

Edited by ZGL

That's why I wish more non-otaku came to Otakon. We're here to inform people of said culture. While sometimes the questioning can be rather jawdropping, when people on the street ask me "what's Anime?" I just tell them it's a japanese cartoon.

I guess it comes from that longing most otaku have for more people to understand East Asian entertainment and culture. You're right, you can't really get mad or annoyed because it just shows you're intolerant and doesn't acheive anything.

muhahahahahahahahahahahaha! foolish mortal! don't mistake me for someone that cares what people think! i have half a mind to stay in cosplay until i leave on Tuesday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.