What must the citizens of Baltimore think...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last otakon I was stopped a couple of times on the street by people wondering what the heck was going on..... so I would tell them. I found that they all knew what anime was, they just still thought it was weird. Also, I was always stopped by someone that wasn't from Baltimore - they were always tourists. I guess people that are actually from the city don't care anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You'd think with MICA a ways away they'd be used to weirdness.... :blink: (former art high school student speaking, & thus not in offense! :angry:)

I wouldn't know, honestly, not living downtown & not ever having gone to Otakon before, but i have waited in Line at the Senator theatre for movies like Star Wars, & generally, the people driving by seem to like harrassing. While waiting for the midnight show of Episode III, some woman drove by & shouted, "Virgins!" which was rather lame. Some people walked by & said, "They're playing a trick on y'all" while laughing. Some people shouted obviously fake "whoo hoos" at us. There have even been times when ice has been thrown or people in Line have been shot at with BB guns.

But by reading previous replies, it seems most people have gotten at least somewhat used to it by now, which is good. :) Of course, there's always going to be people who delight in poking fun at people who overtly geek out, but whatever. Another thing at the Epi III Line was that a bunch of people were rating insults as people drove by & shouted/honked/whatever. It kind of put it in perspective. :blush:

You'd think with MICA a ways away they'd be used to weirdness.... ;) (former art high school student speaking, & thus not in offense! :D)

I wouldn't know, honestly, not living downtown & not ever having gone to Otakon before, but i have waited in Line at the Senator theatre for movies like Star Wars, & generally, the people driving by seem to like harrassing. While waiting for the midnight show of Episode III, some woman drove by & shouted, "Virgins!" which was rather lame. Some people walked by & said, "They're playing a trick on y'all" while laughing. Some people shouted obviously fake "whoo hoos" at us. There have even been times when ice has been thrown or people in Line have been shot at with BB guns.

But by reading previous replies, it seems most people have gotten at least somewhat used to it by now, which is good. :) Of course, there's always going to be people who delight in poking fun at people who overtly geek out, but whatever. Another thing at the Epi III Line was that a bunch of people were rating insults as people drove by & shouted/honked/whatever. It kind of put it in perspective. :D

woah that sounds harsh. I've never heard of anything like that happening to people waiting in line for such invents. So far I havent heard of occasions where that happens to people in line at otakon, but then again. If I saw people walking around with such hyperactive-ness, bright costumes, and over the top weapons then yeah I'd stay in my car too. lol
upstanding citizen of Baltimore
having been a resident of the baltimore area for almost twenty years, i can tell you with absolute certainty that this right here is an oxymoron.

as long as your cosplay doesn't involve baggy pants that are down to your knees and allowing boxers and thongs to show, and as long as you don't smell like the drink you have concealed in a paper bag you're carrying, and as long as your reason for getting people's attention doesn't involve asking them for money they can spare, you're probably an improvement over what most of us are used to seeing in the city.

...people in Line have been shot at with BB guns...

Not to dis-credit you or anything, but I find this really hard to believe.

Since I've attended Otakon (first started going in 2001), I've been asked by a lot of people what's going on at the convention center and I explain what Otakon is and quite a few people I've explained Otakon to have stated that they would want to go to Otakon. There was this time about two years ago or so, I was walking towards the Baltimore Convention Center going back to Otakon from a food place and I was about to walk across Howard Street from the other side of Pratt Street and this person stopped me and explained that he was a writer for the Los Angeles Times and asked me if I knew how to get to BWI by car and I told him that I didn't drive and I couldn't help him, he then asked what was going on because he saw a lot of people in costumes and I told him that it was Otakon, an anime and East Asian culture convention and it was the largest of its kind on the East Coast and he told me that he was familiar of anime conventions because of Anime Expo and that he didn't know that Baltimore had an anime convention and he told me that if he got time, he would love to check out Otakon.

As a Baltimore City resident for over 20 years now, I am greatly honored that my home city has Otakon and that it's one of the few consistant large, citywide events from year to year that's held in Baltimore. I hope that Otakon can stay in Baltimore for the forseeable future since the city has successfully gained a true convention HQ hotel with the current construction of the Hilton (the last hotel that got the "convention HQ hotel" status was the Marriott Waterfront that really didn't make much sense due to its distance from the convention center) and the Hilton can offer Otakon more event space and more rooms for attendees at a discounted price thanks to a deal that BACVA made with the Hilton to reserve 600 rooms out of the 757 rooms for conventions that are held in the Baltimore Convention Center that needs a nearby hotel for convenience of the attendees and from what I've read in previous articles on the Hilton in the Baltimore Sun, the Hilton can also be used as overflow space for events held in the Baltimore Convention Center.

Edited by KSweeley

last year I was coming into Baltimore from Washington, DC on the light-rail. It was early friday morning and I was carrying all my bags and stuff - including a very large cosplay prop. Carrying Aeris' pole did make me stand out a bit on the train. I was sitting in my chair when the conductor walked by, did a double take when he saw me, and then started laughing. He said, "oh no, don't tell me you're going to otakon too?" and he eyed the pole as he said this. I smiled and said yea. The conductor went on to say that he was seeing some odd things on the train all morning, but was excited to learn that otakon was back. then two women sitting close by started mumbling, "oh great, otakon's back. I'm bring my babies downtown so they can see all the people!". By 'people' I guess she ment the cosplayers :).

After that, when the train was about to roll into the BCC stop the conductor got onto the intercom and announced, "Next stop: otakon!"..... and there were some cheers coming from from con-goers on the train somewhere. lol, I thought that was quite funny. Getting off, I smiled to myself when I noticed all the 'normies' left on the train had their attention set on the narutos, inu yashas, and kingdom hearts cosplayers running down the street and the large line of over 1000 people :D

last year I was coming into Baltimore from Washington, DC on the light-rail. It was early friday morning and I was carrying all my bags and stuff - including a very large cosplay prop. Carrying Aeris' pole did make me stand out a bit on the train. I was sitting in my chair when the conductor walked by, did a double take when he saw me, and then started laughing. He said, "oh no, don't tell me you're going to otakon too?" and he eyed the pole as he said this. I smiled and said yea. The conductor went on to say that he was seeing some odd things on the train all morning, but was excited to learn that otakon was back. then two women sitting close by started mumbling, "oh great, otakon's back. I'm bring my babies downtown so they can see all the people!". By 'people' I guess she ment the cosplayers ^_^.

After that, when the train was about to roll into the BCC stop the conductor got onto the intercom and announced, "Next stop: otakon!"..... and there were some cheers coming from from con-goers on the train somewhere. lol, I thought that was quite funny. Getting off, I smiled to myself when I noticed all the 'normies' left on the train had their attention set on the narutos, inu yashas, and kingdom hearts cosplayers running down the street and the large line of over 1000 people ^_^

Us Marylanders are not proud of Baltimore. 200 murders this year alone and a dying bay are all it's really known for. Otakon is the only thing that will bring me to set foot on its soil if I can help it :)

Please don't presume to speak for all Marylanders.

I grew up just outside Baltimore City proper, off Eastern Avenue. I now live in Columbia but work in Rockville.

I've also traveled to 20 or 30 major US cities, and been to Paris and Tokyo -- and by far, I'd prefer Baltimore to the vast majority of them.

The murder count in Baltimore is a function of being a major transportation hub (land, sea, and air), which makes it a key stop in the drug trade. Most of the murders are drug-related, and confined to very specific areas.

Your chances of being a victim of a crime while visiting Baltimore as a tourist are pretty low.

Depending on what you're there for, and where you go, any city in the world can look like a hell-hole; seldom does news coverage talk about anything other than crime, and of course TV viewers mostly know us from Homicide, John Waters or Barry Levinson films, or documentaries about the drug trade.

Don't forget the (now) defunct show The Wire!!!!!

Ahh....good ol John Munch from Homicide...

I do love how sometimes the people who aren't use to what they are seeing.....sometimes look like they'd jump out of their skin if you went "BOO!!" to them xDDD

Some of the locals love the business Otakon brings (like those guys that were walking a little down from the BCC last year selling drinks to all the exhausted con-goers....they probably made a ton from that) Let's not even begin about the local restaurants....I bet they make a bundle.

Funny stories ey.....well, every year I come, I can always just sit by my hotel room window and watch the drug trade go on down below (One time I saw a guy just casually stroll across the street with an open backpack that had bags of white powder in it.....he didn't seem worried one bit xD); (and another time I saw this guy making deals....he would stand in the parking lot outside my window, talking on his cellphone, then he would just give DAPS to random people who walked up.....for those who don't know...that's when the wad of money for bag of drugs trade happens.....he was there for a good 30 minutes before moving on I'd say)

Edited by Shiro420

I never understood the tourists who look petrified. ya know it's just a costume. I can understand a confused look but why do some look like they are gonna literally jump out of their skin?

Us Marylanders are not proud of Baltimore. 200 murders this year alone and a dying bay are all it's really known for. Otakon is the only thing that will bring me to set foot on its soil if I can help it ^_^

Please don't presume to speak for all Marylanders.

I grew up just outside Baltimore City proper, off Eastern Avenue. I now live in Columbia but work in Rockville.

I've also traveled to 20 or 30 major US cities, and been to Paris and Tokyo -- and by far, I'd prefer Baltimore to the vast majority of them.

The murder count in Baltimore is a function of being a major transportation hub (land, sea, and air), which makes it a key stop in the drug trade. Most of the murders are drug-related, and confined to very specific areas.

Your chances of being a victim of a crime while visiting Baltimore as a tourist are pretty low.

Depending on what you're there for, and where you go, any city in the world can look like a hell-hole; seldom does news coverage talk about anything other than crime, and of course TV viewers mostly know us from Homicide, John Waters or Barry Levinson films, or documentaries about the drug trade.

Guest baralaichan

I've had some interesting experiences in town at Otakon. In 2006, I happened to be cosplaying Nanao from Bleach and got on an elevator with a tourist. She asked me what I was doing, and I explained that it was an anime convention. Then this conversation ensued....

her: and what's your costume?

me:: i'm a shinigami

her:: a what?

me: a soul reaper.

her:: if you believe in God, he can save you.

me:: ...what?

her:: you have to accept Jesus as your savior!

me:: ...uhm, I'm Catholic....

her:: don't worry, I'll pray for your soul

me:: ...look lady, dressing in a costume is not the same as worshipping fake gods or the devil...

her:: i will pray for your salvation

friends::walk up in Akatsuki cloaks:: hey, what's taking you so long?

her:: O.O I'LL PRAY FOR ALL OF YOU ::walks away quickly murmuring a prayer under her breath::

us:: ..............

Later that day, we were walking in the Inner Harbor area to get a break from the claustrophobia inducing convention center. As you all may recall, 2006 was the year the Yankees fans were out in full force. My other friend was cosplaying as Meryl from Trigun.

Yankees fan: hey, what's going on ?

me:: ...cartoon convention (cuz after the first 10 times of the day, i get tired of explaining what anime is)

YF: oh. so what...are those costumes from the shows?

friend: No. can't you tell? I'm a Yankee's fan.

YF: Yeah? I thought so with those colors. That's a cool outfit, where'd you get it?

us:: ............

friend:: ...i made it. I'm just that devoted to the team.

YF:: wow, that's amazing. you going to the game later?

us:: ..... ::walk away::

But then there are some surprisingly awesome reactions too. We were walking to the convention center last summer, and I was cosplaying as Blind Itachi. We walked past this one store, and not even a minute later this guy ran out.

guy:: Itachi! Hey wait!

us:: ::stop and look over::

guy:: Itachi! can i get a picture with you?

me:: ...sure

guy:: we have to go into the store though..I'm supposed to be working, but that's just so awesome...

We saw him like, 5 more times that weekend. He asked for a picture with me as Kabuto too the next day.

So, long story short, I've had a whole spectrum of reactions from people in Baltimore. ^_^

Baltimore can be a scary city but seeing as I've lived in nearby Harford County and went to high school in the city, i know my way around. ^_^

Some outsiders complain about the "rude hotel clerks" or the "Scary people with guns" or "angry Yankees fans" (when they're in town) But two years ago, i had a candid moment which changed my opinion on the city for the better.

It was Otakon 2006 and i was returning from the 1st Mariner Arena from the masquerade with my buddies. Along the side of the road were three burly guys in ghetto attire, leaning on their Escalade smoking. I was cosplaying as Alucard and one of the guys saw me and yelled "oh man he look like a pimp, thats a kick-ass hat!" I then flashed my replica Jackal gun that alucard uses and another one of the guys yelled "oh sh*t! hes packin heat, that gun is tight!" they laughed and waved.

hey im prepiest guy alive but i couldnt help but smile. some of the locals like us and baltimore's not always so bad ^_^

I guess people that are actually from the city don't care anymore.

No. They don't. Through my various jobs I've found they know what it is, and they don't care anymore. If this was still 1999, they would. But they're pretty used to it by now!

But I'm not sure you can actually say "most otaku" have a "longing" to understand Eastern Asian culture. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I wasn't saying most otaku have a longing to understand East Asian culture.. I was rather saying some of us have a longing for others to understand what otaku are into. If people understood more that, then they wouldnt be asking "what's anime?"

And yeah zodd that's the right attitude to have xD I don't really care what people think when I'm in cosplay.

Edited by YangWenli

If you didn't care what people think of you, as some as you claim, then you wouldn't start a thread like this or comment in it. I'm not sure why it's so shocking to some people that dressing up in a costume would attract attention. It's pretty obvious that you enjoy the looks you get.

If you didn't care what people think of you, as some as you claim, then you wouldn't start a thread like this or comment in it. I'm not sure why it's so shocking to some people that dressing up in a costume would attract attention. It's pretty obvious that you enjoy the looks you get.

Walking into t he McDonalds or Burger King thats right there, and specially the mall during Otakon is one of the greatest parts of the weekend. Going to the Food Court and seeing a mix of crazy tourists and otaku dressed as everything from full body armor to skimpy catgirls just can't be beat!

lol yeah unfortunately the burger king is gone, at least it was this past year. kind of puts a lot of pressure on Blimpie subs and the pizza place across the hall XD

Being from Baltimore it appears most people in and around the city at that time know what is going on and make light of the situation. I believe it's the visitors to Baltimore that get mildly confused and weird looks on their faces when a guy goes by dresses in a pink wig with cat ears and a tail on.

Walking into t he McDonalds or Burger King thats right there, and specially the mall during Otakon is one of the greatest parts of the weekend. Going to the Food Court and seeing a mix of crazy tourists and otaku dressed as everything from full body armor to skimpy catgirls just can't be beat!

hahahahahahha.

I so just laughed, and hard.

oh lord XD

Well some of the parents I have talked too say it's cute.

But I bet some local residences think were insane japananana nerds XD

But non the less, Were only goign to have more fun on their scared-ness.

especially the old people >3

• 3 weeks later...

I really cant wait to cosplay this yr to get some reactions. Last yr i had cat ears and a tail and someone thought it was real.

I thought it was funny.

So this yr i cant wait. Im gonna have my cosplay on and when we go home I hope we stop at a gas station so i can get weird looks.

I feel proud to be an Otaku!!!!

I really cant wait to cosplay this yr to get some reactions. Last yr i had cat ears and a tail and someone thought it was real.

I thought it was funny.

So this yr i cant wait. Im gonna have my cosplay on and when we go home I hope we stop at a gas station so i can get weird looks.

I feel proud to be an Otaku!!!!

I wasn't able to go last year, but in '06, I remember running around and getting quite a few looks... Of course, since all my family lived in MD at the time, I didn't need to reserve a hotel room, but, I was walking around Edgewood and Overlea dressed in gothic lolita, with my Tenten outfit on a hanger. The guys at CVS were kind of scared to see me, and I still think they question themselves, wondering what the heck was going on, and if I had lost all my marbles.

Of course, the best part was walking into my grandparent's house, fully decked out in my Tenten costume, half my hair up and working on the other. Their faces were priceless! I'm soo~ glad that my Mom got it on film...

And I mustn't forget the drunken weirdo that called out to my group and I, he was hilarious! I love talking to drunks, they are so random and crazy... Probably why I thought he was a con-goer... Ner, oh, well... Heh heh, was good for a few laughs.

Drunk: "Waz goin' onz? Ladiez...?"

Me: "Nothin' much, dude, just chillin'. It gets kind of hot in the con."

Drunk: "I like yo' cloz... Are they new?"

Me: *glance to party members* "Sorta...?"

Drunk: "Shortz on...? I dun have shorz on..."

Sister: "Who are you supposed to be?"

Drunk: "Uh... I shuppoze myshelf... Whyz?"

Me: "So you're not cosplaying then?"

Drunk: "Crozzdressin'... I dun crozzdrez... I'm'a MAN."

*At that exact moment, I swear to all heavens, a MAN dressed in a schoolGIRL uniform walks past*

Me: *snicker* "Like him?"

Drunk: "...That whuz a 'him'...?"

Group: *laughter*

• 4 weeks later...

I live about an hour from Baltimore, and I remember the first time I went to Otakon. I didn't know what to expect at all, since I'd never been to an anime convention before. Thinking back to that day, and remembering how I saw all the cosplayers mixed with the day to day Baltimore crowd was pretty funny.

I sorta felt like a normal person staring at everyone in the strangest way, and thinking, "Why?!". But by now, I've grown to love it. I get up at five on Saturday morning and get ready because I can't stand to get up at five thirty. We leave at six and get to the convention building.. It's just really fun to sit around and watch the cosplayers walk around and get lots of stares from the locals. Then I remember that I've gotta wait a crapton more time before I can get inside. XD Oh well! It's always worth the wait.

One year my friend made some cinnamon rolls and brought them for breakfast and offered them to people there in line with us. That was kinda fun.

I think people in Baltimore mus t be use to us. The tourist there in the summer maybe not, and I'm not sure how the Yankee fans felt a couple cons ago when a game was going on.

I will say I got more questions asked about the convention by people when they saw my con badge and none of my friends were dressed in cosplay compared to when they were dressed up.

Oh, how I love the reactions that I get. They're always a mixed bag and I love it. The public's reaction is one of the things I am usually excited for each Otakon. It's not near the top, but it's certainly on the list.

While I had plenty of experiences with Yankee fans in '06, '07 was a fun year as well.

I was cosplaying my Gurulokovich Soldier from Metal Gear Solid 2:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/581/imafge1qm4.jpg

I'm in the middle.

Now, one would expect the general public to avoid me or give me odd stares while shielding their children from such a horrific sight of a man in camouflage, but in '07 I had more people approach me wanting just general information.

I wanted to know what was going on, but all these people creep me out...you looked somewhat normal and someone I could ask.

That above sentence, worded differently in some ways, was asked many, MANY times by people who live in the city and tourists alike. I was shocked myself. Out of all the colorful, happy looking costumes, they all approach the guy in military gear and camouflage and ask him what's up. I had a lot of great conversations and all the people I spoke to were polite and had a good time just talking to me and learning about what was going on from the looks of it. Well, save for one guy who asked me about the convention, had a conversation with me, then tried to pull off a little panhandling against me. :)

I even had a Baltimore Police officer approach me and tell me that they wish they had their camera to take pictures of my costume and with the people I was with.

So, even if the public looks at all of us as entertainment and for laughs and giggles for us being out of the norm, it's still fun to see just how they react.

Oh, how I love the reactions that I get. They're always a mixed bag and I love it. The public's reaction is one of the things I am usually excited for each Otakon. It's not near the top, but it's certainly on the list.

While I had plenty of experiences with Yankee fans in '06, '07 was a fun year as well.

I'm in the middle.

Now, one would expect the general public to avoid me or give me odd stares while shielding their children from such a horrific sight of a man in camouflage, but in '07 I had more people approach me wanting just general information.

I wanted to know what was going on, but all these people creep me out...you looked somewhat normal and someone I could ask.

That above sentence, worded differently in some ways, was asked many, MANY times by people who live in the city and tourists alike. I was shocked myself. Out of all the colorful, happy looking costumes, they all approach the guy in military gear and camouflage and ask him what's up. I had a lot of great conversations and all the people I spoke to were polite and had a good time just talking to me and learning about what was going on from the looks of it. Well, save for one guy who asked me about the convention, had a conversation with me, then tried to pull off a little panhandling against me. :)

I even had a Baltimore Police officer approach me and tell me that they wish they had their camera to take pictures of my costume and with the people I was with.

So, even if the public looks at all of us as entertainment and for laughs and giggles for us being out of the norm, it's still fun to see just how they react.

I remember my first time at the con.... It was in 2006 and i was staying at the Marriott near Camden Yards.

I was in an elevator not dressed up cause i had just gotten out of my costume.

I was wearing an old football jersey.

A guy entered and we were a few floors away from the bottom. He was wearing a Orioles jersey

This is how the conversation went.

Him : Hello. Hows It

Me : Yo whats up

Him : Nothing much. Just bout to head over and check out the stadium

Me : Ohh cool.. Im just bout to grab something to eat.

Him : Ahh thats good.

:Pause:

Him : So hey whats with all these freaks out on the street.

Me: <puzzled look on my face>

Him : You know all those people out there with the stupid obsessions

Me : Ooh yeah theres a baseball game going on

Him : Thank-you but i love baseball.

Me : Yeah and I'm one of those obsessed freaks

:Doors Open:

Him : Whatever

Me : <smiles> Cya later freak

I wouldn't be too hostile to us Baltimore folk. :)

I've only ever had a person ask me what was going on once in...2001. Most of the people I talk too around the city (before or after Otakon) know what it is. I mean, just mentioning "People in costume" will make them go "OOooooohh that thing!" They've been in Baltimore on and off for at leasta decade, so hopefully most people would be used to it by now.

I'm in the middle.

Yeah, you Metal Gear guard cosplayers always have OUTSTANDINGLY detailed and well-done cosplays. And you do come the closer to "normal" than any other series that might make one dye their hair an insane color or carry around a freakishly large and strange-looking prop.

Hats off to you for being one of the few cosplayers that random people off the street can actually approach. LOL

I wasn't able to go last year, but in '06, I remember running around and getting quite a few looks... Of course, since all my family lived in MD at the time, I didn't need to reserve a hotel room, but, I was walking around Edgewood and Overlea dressed in gothic lolita, with my Tenten outfit on a hanger. The guys at CVS were kind of scared to see me, and I still think they question themselves, wondering what the heck was going on, and if I had lost all my marbles.

Of course, the best part was walking into my grandparent's house, fully decked out in my Tenten costume, half my hair up and working on the other. Their faces were priceless! I'm soo~ glad that my Mom got it on film...

And I mustn't forget the drunken weirdo that called out to my group and I, he was hilarious! I love talking to drunks, they are so random and crazy... Probably why I thought he was a con-goer... Ner, oh, well... Heh heh, was good for a few laughs.

Drunk: "Waz goin' onz? Ladiez...?"

Me: "Nothin' much, dude, just chillin'. It gets kind of hot in the con."

Drunk: "I like yo' cloz... Are they new?"

Me: *glance to party members* "Sorta...?"

Drunk: "Shortz on...? I dun have shorz on..."

Sister: "Who are you supposed to be?"

Drunk: "Uh... I shuppoze myshelf... Whyz?"

Me: "So you're not cosplaying then?"

Drunk: "Crozzdressin'... I dun crozzdrez... I'm'a MAN."

*At that exact moment, I swear to all heavens, a MAN dressed in a schoolGIRL uniform walks past*

Me: *snicker* "Like him?"

Drunk: "...That whuz a 'him'...?"

Group: *laughter*

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Baltimore and most of the mean business CEO's think its a neusance.

But my mom and her co-workers think its entertaining when they walk to lunch to see everybody.

I personally think all the busniess people need to lighten up but anyway all the resaurants and shops love it because they get so much busniess [especially the harbor place.] Most of the con go-ers walk across the skywalk that leads into the harbor place. Be prepared because theres is a huge lunch rush of business people and otaku >.<"

but i'll keep you guys posted of new tasty eateries that have opened up. :unsure:

I wouldn't be too hostile to us Baltimore folk. :unsure:

I've only ever had a person ask me what was going on once in...2001. Most of the people I talk too around the city (before or after Otakon) know what it is. I mean, just mentioning "People in costume" will make them go "OOooooohh that thing!" They've been in Baltimore on and off for at leasta decade, so hopefully most people would be used to it by now.

Edited by syntaxerror37

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.