Understanding Evangelion... lol...

This has to be one of, if not THE most controversial animes ever conceived... and my Christianity aside for the moment... it was no less entertaining :twisted:

I was a little close minded at the time and it took watching the last 5 episodes + OVA 2 times to understand what I think actually transpired:

So SEELE discovers Genro's hidden agenda when he and Ritsuko initiate the HIP, but the chosen method aside, all seems to be going to plan. Only Rei cuts off the seed of Adam from Genro's hand and reunites with Lilith and her anti-AT field goes active and everyone in the world (and probably surrounding planets) turns into LCL and is absorbed into Rei. BUAHWHAHAHAAAA :twisted:

Now Rei, for some unexplained reason, gives Shinji the power/will of God and in essense says, "go nuts buddy"..... :shock:

"The fruit of life is held by the Angels. The fruit of wisdom held by man. Eva unit 01 now posses them both, and, therefore becomes God." -Dr. Kouzou Fuyutsuki

So now, as best I understand, the world and universe have angry sex and in their climax Shinji (now the being of God) fully merges with Rei and he realizes that joy without suffering and good without bad, etc, etc would negate any reason for exsistence blah blah blah... and ultimately wills that only himself and Asuka (with traits from Rei and Misato) be left on the earth (in my opinon intended to be his sex kitten) with Lilith raining down in a shower of blood and the remains of the souls of humanity... while he tried to choek her to death...

Talk about a run on sentance... well anyways if I just sound completely off (or crazy), or if someone has their own opinion of to support or oppose mine, please let lay it out here... I really want to get a broad perspective on what happened since there are so many different theories since Tsumuraki-san felt it was just perfect leaving it as it was... all wondering and inconclusive... the bastard...

Well any thoughts :?: :twisted: :?: :twisted: :?:

I can follow what you're saying. But i must deviate from what you said. if you have seen the directors cut of evangelion then watched the last 5 episodes it comes into picture a LITTLE better. basically what i think happened was that rei and shinji both obtained the powers of a god (hence the sex scene) but in the directors cut and in a few clips of the final episodes shinji was thinking and acting out on what he thought could have happened or what life COULD be. for example shinji thought, "what if me and asuka where brother and sister?" and since shinji at the time had the power of a god he willed it to happen. and it did, he played out that scenario. cut it short half way through ( i guess he did not like it) then went on to a new scenario. Shinji eventually decided to put himself and asuka back on earth..

Follow any of that?

Follow any of that?

Everything except Shinji and Asuka being "brother and sister". In that continuity, they presented Shinji and Asuka as childhood friends, and they even licensed a spin-off video game and manga series to flesh out that continuity and cater to the Shinji/Asuka shippers. It's commonly known as Girlfriend of Steel 2, Iron Maiden 2nd, or unfortunately in some cases "Angelic Days".

Well any thoughts :?: :twisted: :?: :twisted: :?:

The thing I always suggest people keep in mind with the End of Evangelion is that it's open to a degree of personal interpretation. I like to think that Gendo and Seele have different intentions for how to initiate 3rd impact, and in the manga Sadamoto suggests that there are in fact different forms of instrumentality. In the end, instrumentality happens, but we as viewers will never really know how it differs from Gendo or Seele's plans, as we don't have a really detailed understanding of what those plans were. Simply that Gendo wanted to be with/see Yui again, and Seele wanted some sort of destructive instrumentality.

I like to think that what happens in the film is a vague amalgamation of what everyone wanted or intended to happen. It's more or less a mind warp that in the end beats the human condition into you. Not to mention the symbolism of original sin being purged by Yui's soul in Unit 01 serving as eternal proof of humanity's existence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok trying to understand this show would be like a men trying to understand women ok. No matter how hard we try or how close we think we get there is always something new. Evangelion is like a woman ok, except both women, and men cant understand it. I have yet to meet a person who has not said the Evangelion was the most confusing then they have ever watched. We cant understand it but no anime collection is complete without it. lol

• 1 month later...

In the beginning it seemed like a harmless anime and then (as agreed above) the rest rolled out into a very "non-comprehensiable (sp?)" story line.

Just to throw this in: I watched the movie with my dad (whom was 62 at the time) and he was like what the %&?* I don't get this but liked the part where he saw animated boobies and thought since that was added it was an okay movie by him.