How did you get there/how are you getting there next year?

Just wondering what everyone's transportation of choice was for this past year.

I got a ride to the Jersey shore, spent a week there, then got picked up Saturday and went to Otakon, and from there we flew home.

We're thinking of driving to and from Buffalo next year. Much cheaper and could be a whole lot of fun. My BMW 5-Series is so small though, so we're only taking three and keeping it at three.

What about you guys?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from Jersey so its not a long way. My boyfriend always insists on driving because its a beautiful drive and he enjoys it. However his Jetta is small so we usually travel as 2 or 3.

The drive is builds excitement... I love making the perfect mixtapes for it :mrgreen: and as we get closer, spotting cars going to Otakon too (or coming back, usually more obvious).

For me it's the same way I get to school, except I stop sooner and I have someone drop me off.

Hop on the Beltway, take 95 into the city, get dropped off at the BCC or the hotel.

#8 bus to Lutherville light rail, then to a hotel. Yes, I live that close and I still stay in a hotel. And?

Though last year I did a lot of Thursday back-and-forth because I had to take the train all the way down to BWI to intercept a friend.

Someone will drive me from fells point to downtown. I suppose I could walk, but I don't feel like carrying my luggage.

I got a ride to the Jersey shore, spent a week there, then got picked up Saturday and went to Otakon, and from there we flew home.

We're thinking of driving to and from Buffalo next year. Much cheaper and could be a whole lot of fun. My BMW 5-Series is so small though, so we're only taking three and keeping it at three.

What about you guys?

My friend and I flew, since we live in Ohio, driving would have been acceptable however as we found out road trips are always the best route. A six hour drive could probably turn into an eight or nine hour drive depending on if we get lost. So flying will be the same route next year. We were able to get around trip flights for $128 and that was with tax!

But from experience we know now to take the light rail from the airport instead of a taxi because it drops you off right at the convention center and from there will just walk to the hotel. 28 dollars just to be stuck in traffic for 30 minutes sucked and it was Friday mid-day!!! I'd rather pay the buck something and get there in the same amount of time.

But from experience we know now to take the light rail from the airport instead of a taxi because it drops you off right at the convention center and from there will just walk to the hotel. 28 dollars just to be stuck in traffic for 30 minutes sucked and it was Friday mid-day!!! I'd rather pay the buck something and get there in the same amount of time.

Bingo! :D

2006: Flight from LHR-JFK, road trip New York > Baltimore

2007: Flights AMS-LHR-BOS-YYZ-JFK, busses New York > Hartford (ConnectiCon) > New York > Philadelphia, train to Baltimore Union Sation, light rail BAL > BCC.

:D

we generally drive although depending on where I am at that time in the summer I have flown before. Last year was the most insane car trip ever though drove from my house on Cape Cod to Syracuse New York to pick up my friend and then to Philly to pick up my second friend then on to Otakon. OMG that was a lot of expensive gas! This year I might fly again it was cheaper unless I find some closer people to carpool with.

Ha I live in Baltimore County like 25-30 mins away depending on traffic so of course I'm going to just drive down there. :D

I always drive there, but I should really consider taking a plane. It could definitely be cheaper because I know I have a decent amount of rewards miles to use on continental one pass.

I hop in the car and try to beat as much traffic as possible heading around the beltway and up 95.

Guess I could Metro-MARC/Amtrack, but that would just mean leaving earlier, losing the flexibility of having your car around, couldn't serve as chauffeur, not have to sit in pre-getaway traffic, and ending up back at the office after returning.

I think we've now decided to drive only if we can't find those fancy Ding! rates. Gonna head to Rochester and dart south straight to Otakonville. I made a deal with my friend that if he can get us there in under 4.5 hours, I'll drive the whole way back. xD

I hop in the car and try to beat as much traffic as possible heading around the beltway and up 95.

Guess I could Metro-MARC/Amtrack, but that would just mean leaving earlier, losing the flexibility of having your car around, couldn't serve as chauffeur, not have to sit in pre-getaway traffic, and ending up back at the office after returning.

I would not recommend anyone to take the train if they had more than two cases full of stuff. Amtrak do have a two carry-on weight/size restriction (carry-ons can only be so big and so heavy).
They've never had a problem with my stuff. In fact, every time I've travelled on Amtrak, I've made a point of asking them if/where I'm to check my baggage. The only time I've had to was when I got the train from Portland to Central California.
  • 2 weeks later...

last year me and my friend flew in from RI the day before so we could get our badges, then we flew back the last day, so we never got to go to the last day T.T....f.y.i. we stayed at the Days Inn thats located in Timonium (or however you spell it) just be aware that it takes a half hour at least to get to the convention center by the light rail. we couldn't get a closer hotel because they were either sold out or really expensive lol.

this year we are flying in from RI the day before again so we can get our passes the day before....and then we are going to stay an extra night after Otakon ends so we can check out the inner harbor and the aquarium.^.^

As since 2001, Greyhound all the way from here (Easton, PA) to Baltimore & back... not bad, one transfer in each direction (transfer in Philly going down Thursday morning, Harrisburg coming back Sunday night... though last 2 years the bus from Harrisburg has been delayed at least an hour from leaving H-burg to head back home, making my arrival at home around 8:30 instead of 7:15/7:30).

Round trip for me is generally less than $100, and I don't have to drive or find and pay for parking, so it's all good.

This year my cousin and me are gonna be driving from Wilkes-Barre PA straight down, should only be about 3 hours or so. Gonna meet up with a friend from downsouth whose flying in at the hotel.

It depends:

If I'm staying at a hotel again, then I'll catch a cab so I can lugg all of my stuff but if not, I'll be using le'MTA and commuting to and fro; it's only a 20 minute ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Plan to take public transit to the BCC on Thursday and take public transit back to my house on Sunday. I live about 5-10 minutes awak from the BCC depending on traffic.

What about you guys?

I'll probably use AMTRAK like I've been doing for 2 years in a row.

isn't using amtrak rather expensive? or is it really just not that bad. I guess though it would be your only option if you didn't drive, besides maybe chinatown bus somehow lol.

Well I went with my friend by Greyhound and then caught the bus to the convention center for this year's Otakon... then walked to hotel after picking up out badges. Then left by taxi to the bus station. Probably do the same thing this upcoming year, unless get a ride from a classmate, who I discover also goes to Otakon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.