How did you get there/how are you getting there next year?

Penn Line

New schedule effective February 11, 2008!

MARC Train service operates on Monday through Friday ONLY.

Thanks for any clarification ^^"

The MARC Train Penn Line (which starts at D.C.'s Union Station and stops at Penn Station in Baltimore on its way north) only runs Monday - Friday (not weekends).

However, the Baltimore Light Rail runs every day, and you can ride that to Penn Station to pick up a different train. From the convention center, you'll ride north (look for trains with either Hunt Valley, Timonium, or Penn Station destinations). If you get on a Hunt Valley or Timonium train, get off at the Mt. Royal/University of Baltimore stop and switch to a Penn Station train.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be my first time coming to Otakon (as well as my first post!) and I'll be flying up from Charleston, South Carolina via US Airways with a layover in Charlotte, North Carolina. It should be interesting as I've never flown by myself before and tend to get lost inside of a paper bag, haha. Fortunately, I managed to get a room at the Sheraton Inner Harbor so at least I won't have to travel far. I'm excited to meet everyone because I don't know a single person who has ever gone to Otakon so I'll have to wander by myself until I meet some people. ^_^

Penn Line

New schedule effective February 11, 2008!

MARC Train service operates on Monday through Friday ONLY.

Thanks for any clarification ^^"

The MARC Train Penn Line (which starts at D.C.'s Union Station and stops at Penn Station in Baltimore on its way north) only runs Monday - Friday (not weekends).

However, the Baltimore Light Rail runs every day, and you can ride that to Penn Station to pick up a different train. From the convention center, you'll ride north (look for trains with either Hunt Valley, Timonium, or Penn Station destinations). If you get on a Hunt Valley or Timonium train, get off at the Mt. Royal/University of Baltimore stop and switch to a Penn Station train.

Edited by Aresef

I usually stay at a Hotel (which wouldn't have been to bad of an idea this year too because I'm pregnant) but all rooms are sold out so I will have to commute everyday from my home which is about 25-30 minutes away. NOT looking forward to it, I hate driving around in the city looking for parking.

I usually stay at a Hotel (which wouldn't have been to bad of an idea this year too because I'm pregnant) but all rooms are sold out so I will have to commute everyday from my home which is about 25-30 minutes away. NOT looking forward to it, I hate driving around in the city looking for parking.

you can park in some hotel parking lots, like the days inn i believe. i cant remember the price off the top of my head but i think its between $10-$20 for all day.

As the hotels go, so goes their parking. I would also guess requiring a bed to herself would limit the usual roommate shopping choices.

My three buddies and myself have been going to Otakon the past 5 years. We have a routine- get our badges on thursday, eat at taco bell that nite then help my friend finish his costume by running to CVS pharmacy and the dollar store at 10 at night, then stay up till 2am getting sick on cheez-its. =D

when we get up on friday, we go into WaWa in Abingdon, off the I-95 exit to get coffee. The best part is the reactions we get from people who often ask us "is there a horror-con in town?" sometimes we've been called freaks, goths, sluts and weirdos, although the guy behind the deli called out "hey alucard" to me last year XD at least we had one admirer. my buddy then drives us down in his tiny '89 toyota camry which never fails to get us to the parking garage down from the power plant live building. we get some strange looks from the other cars on I-95 =D gotta love otakon...

Yay! I'm 100% sure I'm getting another night at the hotel. So finally I'm staying from friday to sunday! I just hope I don't miss the train or something (from washington d.c). Looking forward to meet you :) I will go sightseeing at the aquarium (I'm a foreign tourist remember T_T) on thursday and then to pick up the badge ^^.

Dears, can we please bring this to the original topic of how people are getting to Otakon?

If you want to discuss what you plan to do when you get there, please start a new topic.

If you want to talk about parking, I believe there may be some topic already created about it.

If you already posted how you are getting there, then there really isn't a reason to repost the same reply to this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)

~Resume topic

Well actually, this year my fiance and I are thinking about honeymooning before Otakon, so wherever we go Otakon will be the end of our honeymoon! Hopefully Saturday to Wednesday in a nice tropical location, and Thursday to Sunday in Baltimore! The possiblilty of flying into Baltimore is there, or flying into Pittsburgh and driving down. :) (Our first Otakon as married couple, aaawwww)

Edited by Samiki
  • 3 weeks later...

This will be my first year riding the lightrail... I'm sure it's safe, but that doesn't stop my family from worrying ^_^ . We'll only be riding it in the morning, anyway.

Amtrak from Aberdeen as it is every year for me. I save money on Parking and I don't have Baltimore traffic stress to deal with.

Guest Zyvellin

Amtrak. I've got family that live a short distance from the Waterloo, IN station. I can park my car at their place, hitch a ride to the station, and be on my way. It was either plane or train, both probably cheaper than driving with fuel getting ready to break $4/gal. I think I'd like the train more. And the stop in D.C. for a brief bit of sight seeing.

OK.. let's see if I can remember.. 1999, I drove. 2001, friend Chellie drove. 2002, I drove. 2003, friend Steve drove. 2004, I drove. 2005, Steve drove. 2006, I drove. 2007, I drove.

This year I plan on driving down as well. :)

8) From '01 to '06, I rode down & back in a car with my friends taking I-95 for the most part.

Well, because my friends decided not to go last year, I ended up taking Amtrak from Trenton, NJ to Baltimore. Wound up riding back up I-95 on Sunday with the one friend who decided to drive down to Otakon at the last minute.

This year I'll probably be riding down in a car with the new group of friends I've put together for Otakon. :)

Last year : Take the Connect a Ride K bus to Arundel Mills, grab the Connect A Ride J bus to Cromwell Light Rail Station, take the light rail to the convention center. Only did this on Friday and Saturday morning, Saturday evening and Sunday my buddies gave me a lift and I crashed at their house.

This year : Crashing with my friends, we'll drive to the light rail station, hop that, and land at Otakon.

I love living in Maryland. :)

Edited by ReanimationLP
  • 2 weeks later...

We usually get a group of other columbus-ohio-ites and try to book airfare on southwest from CMH to BWI. This year we got our tickets for a little under $130 per person. We take the light rail from BWI directly to the BCC.

Posting here again because plans changed! My friend's dad is driving from DC to Baltimore ^^. I think he wants to be sure we do not go anywhere else lol. Return trip will be through mta

Because I have this slight phobia about driving anywhere outside of my valley town ( XP ), I have my parents drive me down every year (which is a 2-3 hour drive...I live near Harrisburg). It's also because of the fact that my parents get very nervous when I consider taking the bus or amtrak instead. I do pay them in full for gas, however... which is going to be a pain this year. >.<;;

This time, I'm trying to get them to use the same weekend to take a beach trip somewhere else in Maryland. That way, it will not be a pointless drive for them. (They dislike anime, so I can't persuade them to join me. *sigh*)

CT

• 2 weeks later...

My friends and I rent a van and depart Connecticut on Thurs. in the AM, usually we've left like 8 am ish, this year we're shooting for 5 AM so that when we get there we have time to unpack and relax for a second and have lunch before they go off to pre-reg and I go off to do my thing.

It's usually anywhere from 5.5 - 7.5 hours depending mostly on Tappanzee Bridge/New Jersey traffic, which is a HUGE reason I wanted to leave at 5 am to avoid all that.

This year we made the group decision to compile all 80s music for the drive down. Getting out of the MD tunnel and into that last stretch of highway.... there will be some "Final Countdown" by Europe a blasting.

We figure it was the only way in addition to coffee we'd have any energy driving down.

My friends and I rent a van and depart Connecticut on Thurs. in the AM, usually we've left like 8 am ish, this year we're shooting for 5 AM so that when we get there we have time to unpack and relax for a second and have lunch before they go off to pre-reg and I go off to do my thing.

It's usually anywhere from 5.5 - 7.5 hours depending mostly on Tappanzee Bridge/New Jersey traffic, which is a HUGE reason I wanted to leave at 5 am to avoid all that.

We're splitting gas between 7 people in the van so yes, it still sucks cause up here it's $4.26 a gallon right now, but between 7 people isn't so bad. I already paid my share ($120) for van/tolls/gas/parking so I mean, it sucks but it's still doable by splitting costs.

We usually fill up before we leave, and then on the way home since it's only a 5-7 hour drive depending on traffic.

I'm using probably part of or all of my $300 government stimulus check money for Otakon for food/shopping/emergencies/whatever.

Speaking of, don't forget about those stimulus checks if you're eligible! The last bouts of the paper checks mail out in July so you'd get them before Otakon. That's always kind of a last ditch halleleujah! for gas moneys/transportation. Something to keep in mind anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankfully my friend's LeSabre which is old but VERY roomy will be tuned and fixed up for a 4-hour drive. He and I are splitting the drive.

Getting up bright and early, hitting the highway by 9AM, cranking the F-ZERO soundtrack the whole way and booking it to Baltimore. We're calling the total trip time at 4 hours. Five at the most.

I usually ride with a bunch of friends but never switch off driving because usually the drivers having driver's control syndrome :/...but we usually leave oh 7 am? We take I64 to I295,and then up I95, then the Beltway and then back to I295, THEN I95 again(confusing yes?)..when we stay in a hotel in the Inner Harbor we walk, but this year like the first year we will drive in everyday..via what road I'm not sure, I'm currently looking for the best road.

Last year : Take the Connect a Ride K bus to Arundel Mills, grab the Connect A Ride J bus to Cromwell Light Rail Station, take the light rail to the convention center. Only did this on Friday and Saturday morning, Saturday evening and Sunday my buddies gave me a lift and I crashed at their house.

This year : Crashing with my friends, we'll drive to the light rail station, hop that, and land at Otakon.

I love living in Maryland. :D

me and friends are getting up REALLY early like say 4?

to put on our cosplay and then carpooling to the city.

which only takes a couple of mins.

but we like to be realy early for the lines, ya know?

there will be people already in line from early in the morning thursday - like 2-3am

• 2 weeks later...

This year it looks like Light Rail each day for me from good ol Glen Burnie. Unless i decide to find crash place and just remain in Baltimore.

Otakon 2005- My friends mom drove us there (to a friends house outside of balt)

Otakon 2006- My mom drove us there half way and the friend we stayed with the year before picked us up.

Otakon 2007- My mom drove us there and we stayed with my step dad

Otakon 2008- I will be driving to my step dads house

((Kepp in mind I only live in Cumberland Md....only 2.5 hours from balt.))

Getting a ride from the people I'm staying with on the way down. It's Jersey, so taking the Turnpike down and then continuing on 95 to Baltimore.

Getting a ride on the way back from another one of my friends, since he lives like 10 minutes from my place. Only reason I'm not going with him in the first place is because he's staying in a different room and going down a day earlier than I am.

One day, when I am made of enough money to pay for gas on both trips (and when I get a new car with better mileage), I will drive down there myself, blasting (good!) Metallica the entire way down.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.