Panel Suggestions for 2008

I'm seeing a whole bunch of panel suggestions around the Otakon 2008 section of the bbs and I thought I'd start this thread to kind of bring them all together.

I realize it's a tad early, but I know there's a bunch of us out there like me who are ready and willing to put on an awesome panel to please the fans at Otakon next year. So I thought it would be useful to hear everyone's suggestions for panels next year; what you want to see, what you don't want to see, "omg, if there were a panel about (this), i'd freak out," that kind of stuff.

Also if you plan to run a panel, let us know what it is and how you plan to do it up.

And don't forget, if you wanna RUN a panel, don't just post here! Be sure to apply using the Panel Submission form on the Otakon homepage (when it becomes available, that is)!

Just a friendly reminder that while those of us in the panels department do read what's posted in this thread, only panel proposals which are formally submitted (no, the form is not yet available) through the website will be considered for presentation at Otakon. Additionally, submitting a proposal does not guarantee or imply acceptance.

:)

I think it is highly unlikely that Dattebayo will be doing anything official with Otakon next year. There is pretty widespread feeling amongst the leadership that a few groups have used up whatever good will they had with us. We simply don't have the bandwidth to waste our time and exhaust our people dealing with pranks and bad behavior.

I think it is highly unlikely that Dattebayo will be doing anything official with Otakon next year. There is pretty widespread feeling amongst the leadership that a few groups have used up whatever good will they had with us. We simply don't have the bandwidth to waste our time and exhaust our people dealing with pranks and bad behavior.

Yeah, shame they went and did something juvenile like they did after the fact, they actually did put on a decent panel. Nevertheless, it's unfair to the event to post hoax statements about being arrested, it can reflect poorly on the event.

There were so many clues that this was a troll from start to finish and yet it fooled a lot of people, and caused trouble for some. If it caused you trouble directly, you are an idiot for not getting it.

I'm in sheer and utter awe of the obtuseness of this statement.

Anyway, I'm considering doing another panel. It's a lot of fun. Of course, whatever podcasting panel there is next year I'm there. But 06 I did a Sentai panel, 07 it was general toku, 08 is...?

I wouldn't mind seeing another sentai/toku panel. Of course, maybe you could also branch out into kaiju? :)

I'm not as well versed in Kaiju. But I'm definitely going to see if I can get Mike Dent (R5 Central, Otaku USA, occasional Rangercast cohost and good friend of mine) to fly out from Milwaukee again next year.

Hi there,

Since this is an Anniversary Year, I have one of My Own:

In December of 1982, I created what was probably the first Anime Music Video, which would be shown to the public in January of 1982, at Philcon 82.1, a Science Fiction Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Ironically, the first 2 AMV's I made, were shown before a showing of "Arrivederci Space Cruiser Yamato"). By Lunacon 1983, at the Star Blazers Video Room, I had made about a Half Hour of these AMV's , which were shown as filler between programs.

My accomplishments were documented on Page 39 of "Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews" By Fred Patten, as well as in the History of Anime Fandom, which appeared in either the Otakon 1999 or Otakon 2000 Program Book.

I have been working on preserving My works to Digital Media, and would like to do a Presentation on "The Early Years of AMV's (or , What a Determined Fan can do with 2 VCR's), at this coming Otakon, which is keeping in the Spirit of Anniveres.

Peace,

Jim Kaposztas

Tech Ops

• 1 month later...

AMV Salads

AMV Salad: With More Crunchy Bits and AMV Salad 2: the Second Serving

What it would be:

This is a panel which doubles as a independent screening of the multi-editor project once known as AMV Hell 3.14 and its sequel, which will be brand new and never before seen in public. There would be a nutshell-variety retelling of this video's journey from animemusicvideos.org to the convention circuit, the trials and troubles encountered along the way (including why this thing had to be renamed so many times), and continuing success.

The videos would be classified PG-13 to be safe. All I would need is a room, a big screen, and a DVD projector.

What do you think? So far, there were three successful showings of the first reel at Otakon last year (as a pre-show for the fan parodies)). NekoCon was the most recent stop of this project's (so far) successful convention "tour." I am in the process of serving up the Salad to Katsucon, which is currently trying to place this video within programming.

I am working to add TekkoshoCon VI and perhaps Anime Espo to the itinerary.

Perhaps the sequel can be shown to the general audience as they file in for Masquerade? If not, we could have multiple night screenings (like we did last year)..? I'm *cough-a whore-cough* open to suggestions...

Edited by flaming_alchemist
I'd like to see a panel on how to dub. I know they're having one at the con in Philadelphia, but I think I'd still be cool to see one at Otakon.

As has been stated elsewhere on the boards, things will be changing in panels this year. We'll do our best to make sure that last year's mistakes don't happen again, and we've been working on some general changes to make panels and panelists' experiences better overall.

• 1 month later...
As has been stated elsewhere on the boards, things will be changing in panels this year. We'll do our best to make sure that last year's mistakes don't happen again, and we've been working on some general changes to make panels and panelists' experiences better overall.

I guess its always that time of year to start planning out the proposals and preparations for these panels coming up for otakon! Might as well start now before its too late! Already I have a few ideas rolling around in my head, and therefore, id figure id share my thoughts and stuff!

First idea is that I would like to bring back my introductory jpop panel (Jpop 101). Hopefully this time around, im looking for a 2 hour slot instead of one. I really liked this panel from last year because the presentation focused a lot on theory and discussion of jpop and ourselves. However, this time around I would like expand more from that and include more general information about the different types of genres of music out there, more audience interaction/discussions and most importantly: more music to introduce to the new ones! What I loved most about doing this panel was putting it together at the last minute (music wise). Reason being was to keep information as fresh as possible, including music! That was our biggest strength and we look forward to build from that!

Second Idea was another panel on j-music. Sort of a more advanced panel like jpop255 from last year, but instead the topic will be different. I was looking at examining the relationships between anime, videogames, and j-music. And of course music would be in the presentation as well that correlates to the topic at hand. Hopefully thatll be put thru! *cross-fingers*

Third Idea was going to be a different panel from my specialty in the j-music business. I was looking into putting together a presentation about the culture lives of geisha in japan. During some time off, I've been reading loads of books on the topic, and i think it would be massively interesting to present this information to the otaku audience. again *cross-fingers*

Lastly, I was thinking putting together a +18 panel on the red-light district in tokyo, kabukichi. I've been through some some of its sections before a couple years back, and I can say it was definitely a unique experience. and i think it would be a neat, fresh, different and interesting topic to present during the late hours of the convention.

Yes, i know thats 4 panels, but we're naturally public speakers and know how to put together presentations. Most importantly, we love doing this stuff and love to have fun! Professional and informal. After last year, we were kinda excited to come back with some new and refreshing ideas to present and more importantly contribute to the otaku community.

Thoughts or comments?

Btw, we're always looking for some help in anyway, shape or form!

Feel free to speak up if you wanna help out or contribute some ideas with us!

arrigato! ja ne!

Otakon 2008 is going to be my 6th Otakon, and every single year after my first year of attendance I always thought it would be a great idea to have an entire panel on con-etiquette. I know that there's always mention of etiquette in the registration package, but I believe it would be an excellent idea to host an etiquette panel on the first day of the convention, allowing for the individuals that may be socially inept or newer to the con experience to see what's expected of them. I'd be pretty excited if people walked on the Right side of the halls, didn't stop in the middle of the crowded walk ways for pictures, showered/wore deodorant, and just basic information on how to interact with someone they'd like to get to know a little better. Once I decide I'm 100% sure of my attendance for Otakon 2008 I would like to present this panel proposal if enough individuals were interested in attending such a function.

Otakon 2008 is going to be my 6th Otakon, and every single year after my first year of attendance I always thought it would be a great idea to have an entire panel on con-etiquette. I know that there's always mention of etiquette in the registration package, but I believe it would be an excellent idea to host an etiquette panel on the first day of the convention, allowing for the individuals that may be socially inept or newer to the con experience to see what's expected of them. I'd be pretty excited if people walked on the Right side of the halls, didn't stop in the middle of the crowded walk ways for pictures, showered/wore deodorant, and just basic information on how to interact with someone they'd like to get to know a little better. Once I decide I'm 100% sure of my attendance for Otakon 2008 I would like to present this panel proposal if enough individuals were interested in attending such a function.
  • 3 weeks later...

I did the Tales of... panels the past few years (different titles, as different games were used as a hook) and am continually surprised at how many people show up XD I'm pretty sure we had people standing last year in panel 1. I'm really hoping to do it again. Each year I learn things and try to make it better. This year i hope is the best yet (if accepted, that is). I just wish that I had more time since there's really only like 45 minutes (esp. if the one before me runs over :D ) to cover prob. about 15 games and 3 anime series (come august, pending any MORE namco/bandi announcements).

also, i want to do a 2nd info panel focusing on Kyou Kara Maou, since the fandom for that is surprisingly large yet not as many people are aware of it's awesomeness~ Or the fact it started as a light novel series. But aside from just comparing novels, drama cds, anime, manga versions of it, there are some deep rooted theories and speculations that hopefully we'd have enough time to cover. The content is still being discussed with the other 'would be' panelists, but we'll have our act together before the panel application deadline ^_^ (tho if anyone has suggestions, i'm all ears ^_^)

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Since I didn't see the panel submission form up yet, I thought I'd share a handful of panel ideas that we (me + The Slants) have been presenting at other conventions across the country that have been quite successful:

So You Wanna Be a Rockstar

Description:An informative panel on the basics in getting involved with the music industry, from starting a band to marketing it, as well as information on how to get songs into television, anime, video games, and more. Panel will also include helpful resources such as merchandise vendors, information on getting endorsements, and a question and answer section.

Presented by: Simon Young, founder and bassist for The Slants, who has had over 15 years of experience in the music industry as a musician, producer, promoter, talent buyer, and manager. Simon has helped several independt artists reach major label status and done consulting work for many bands.

Songwriting with The Slants

Description: Learn the in's and out's of writing songs from experienced musicians who have been writing for bands, films, and pop jingles for years. The focus will primarily be on rock, pop, and eletronica; though these fundamentals cross over all genres.

Presented by members of The Slants.

Q & A with The Slants

Description: What is "Chinatown Dance Rock?" Why is there a white guy in an Asian band? Why do The Slants give out fortune cookies at shows? Find out these answers, as well as anything else you'd like to know about the touring, fire-breathing, dance rocking/face melting band that is The Slants. Hear tour stories, get the scoop on other conventions from a guest point of view, and have an all around good time.

Presented by The Slants

(These are all presented via informal lecture style and some have accompanying Power Point slide shows, song demo's and other goodies)

Thanks!

~simon

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but I would like another chance to see Great Teacher Largo. I doubt I'm the only one disappointed by the way things turned out last year judging by the number of people that turned up early Sunday to see his show.

Well, hopefully I'm going to get to do my roleplaying panel this year and maybe even as a workshop. I fully support panels/workshops on writing and roleplaying being done! I think there usually is at least one about fanfics each year. And if anyone is looking for an aditional person to be on a writing or roleplaying related panel, feel free to send me a message, I'm willing to offer my brain.

I think we'll revamp and rename the toku panel to focus on the legendary heroes of the genre. And probably end up mentioning Hiroshi Miyauchi several different times in several different capacities. It'll be epic. I just need to rally the troops to put our proposal together.

I'd really hoping that my submission for a Sonic the Hedgehog panel gets the big OK. That is one panel I've always wanted to go to one but could A) never find one or ^_^ miss it for some obscure reason.

I would like to see a panel on Japanese Cooking though. That would be awesome.

I'd really hoping that my submission for a Sonic the Hedgehog panel gets the big OK. That is one panel I've always wanted to go to one but could A) never find one or :unsure: miss it for some obscure reason.

I'd really hoping that my submission for a Sonic the Hedgehog panel gets the big OK. That is one panel I've always wanted to go to one but could A) never find one or :unsure: miss it for some obscure reason.

YAY, Sonic panel. xD

As long as there are no natural disasters, I am expecting Anime Parliament to be back on the schedule this year. Fortunately, with the change in my staff duties, I will be able to preside over the entire event instead of having someone else guide the cases. As thankful as I was to have the assistance of my two friends in this instance, I was told they pushed cases through too quickly, and didn't allow the deliberation many of them deserved.

Japanese Wrestling would like to return to Otakon for 2008. We currently have several ideas ideas for themes, clips, matches, wrestlers, and are favorite video game and anime tie ins. So if anyone that attended last year or back in 2006 and want to throw us a suggestion or two, fill free to PM me. Thanks

Hey guys, I wanted to remind everyone that at this point, no panels have been officially approved (even if there's been lengthy communication between the staff and some potential panelists), and that approval will not be issued before the June 1 deadline.

That said, I'm really excited about a lot of the applications we've received so far - and I think that you all will definitely be pleased by the schedule we'll be offering this year. :angry:

....Geez, I'm starting to sound like alabaster with all this hinting. <_<

Edited by ZGL
Hey guys, I wanted to remind everyone that at this point, no panels have been officially approved (even if there's been lengthy communication between the staff and some potential panelists), and that approval will not be issued before the June 1 deadline.

That said, I'm really excited about a lot of the applications we've received so far - and I think that you all will definitely be pleased by the schedule we'll be offering this year. :angry:

....Geez, I'm starting to sound like alabaster with all this hinting. <_<

How about a panel on how to run a panel?

That said, the major holdup to when we'd be submitting the app has been cleared. One of our key panelists finally got his act together, so he's all in. We should be getting our stuff together soonish.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.