Panel Suggestions for 2008

game shows on anime trivia were the audience participates would be fun. I really liked the otaku family feud that was at katsucon this year. I would also like to see cosplay making panels.... good ones

• 2 weeks later...
I'd really hoping that my submission for a Sonic the Hedgehog panel gets the big OK. That is one panel I've always wanted to go to one but could A) never find one or :D miss it for some obscure reason.

I would like to see a panel on Japanese Cooking though. That would be awesome.

I'd really hoping that my submission for a Sonic the Hedgehog panel gets the big OK. That is one panel I've always wanted to go to one but could A) never find one or :D miss it for some obscure reason.

I would like to see a panel on Japanese Cooking though. That would be awesome.

My husband and I had the pleasure of attending a demonstration by one Iron Chef Morimoto Last year! it was TRULY AMAZING AAAAND......I got to eat one of his amazing creations!

That being said, we are very well versed in Japanese cooking (not just because of that, because my husband is a chef and worked in a Japanese restaurant for about five years). Panel apps still open?

A panel on con greivances would be funny. There was an 18+ panel like that at Katsucon and it was all full of lulz.

Con grievances? You mean like the con feedback panel we run every year? The one I rush back from seeing guests off so that I can participate in, and that we take extensive notes on, and specifically address whenever possible?

A panel on con greivances would be funny. There was an 18+ panel like that at Katsucon and it was all full of lulz.

Con grievances? You mean like the con feedback panel we run every year? The one I rush back from seeing guests off so that I can participate in, and that we take extensive notes on, and specifically address whenever possible?

The con feedback panel that alabaster is referring to is scheduled for the end of the day on Sunday every year. It's every member's opportunity to offer constructive criticism on things that happened at-con or pre-con, to ask questions about policies, and to generally be heard by most of the Section Chiefs of the organization. If you encounter something related to Otakon either at-con or throughout the year that you want to take up with us, the con feedback panel is your chance! It's usually scheduled in the largest panel room.

(Also, you can giggle along with everyone else when all four of alabaster's cell phones ring at the same time. :D )

If you meant a general "Doesn't it bite when [event happens] at a con" panel, we have no plans to offer such a panel, especially an 18+ version. Quite frankly, there's no reason for such a panel to be so restricted, and I have a sneaking suspicion that if it were, it would devolve quickly into a "[con] is better than [con]" scenario, and we have too high a demand for programming time to schedule something like that. (Not to mention that it's not really in line with our mission statement.)

That being said, we are very well versed in Japanese cooking (not just because of that, because my husband is a chef and worked in a Japanese restaurant for about five years). Panel apps still open?

You can submit an application to present a panel through 11:59PM EST June 1st, 2008. Please be sure to fill out all of the requested information.

The con feedback panel that alabaster is referring to is scheduled for the end of the day on Sunday every year. It's every member's opportunity to offer constructive criticism on things that happened at-con or pre-con, to ask questions about policies, and to generally be heard by most of the Section Chiefs of the organization. If you encounter something related to Otakon either at-con or throughout the year that you want to take up with us, the con feedback panel is your chance! It's usually scheduled in the largest panel room.

(Also, you can giggle along with everyone else when all four of alabaster's cell phones ring at the same time. :D )

If you meant a general "Doesn't it bite when [event happens] at a con" panel, we have no plans to offer such a panel, especially an 18+ version. Quite frankly, there's no reason for such a panel to be so restricted, and I have a sneaking suspicion that if it were, it would devolve quickly into a "[con] is better than [con]" scenario, and we have too high a demand for programming time to schedule something like that. (Not to mention that it's not really in line with our mission statement.)

Edited by Otaku Ru
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to have the Go panel/workshop again this year. My son attended it last year (he was the kid dressed as Sasuke) and really loved it. He told me that he learned a lot from this guy who played like a pro.

It would be nice to have the Go panel/workshop again this year. My son attended it last year (he was the kid dressed as Sasuke) and really loved it. He told me that he learned a lot from this guy who played like a pro.
Edited by Duelistbluerose

I am 100% behind the Dubbing Panel idea.

I'm not sure I can convey in words how interested I am in voice acting.

I'd love to see one of those set ups where con-goers can be picked to dub a short clip of a character of their choice.

Even being a spectator to that would completely thrill me.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone out there interested in running an anime blogging panel? Last year there was a podcast panel but none about blogging, which seemed a little odd.

Just to get you thinking a bit more about it -- what would the panel entail? A bunch of known bloggers sitting around answering questions? What exactly would be the draw beyond moderate celebrity of individual bloggers?

Ditto for "webcomics panels" -- I'd rather see a focused panel rather than the usual rambling appearance, perhaps one on how people who are making money on their webcomics actually make that happen. Making a living at your hobby is something most fans only dream of. But most webcomics folks are happier, and better at, sitting at their alley tables, making sales, than they are in front of an audience.

Keep in mind that bloggers, podcasters, and webcomics folks can often be found in the Alley (or sometimes the dealer's room), where they are far more accessible and approachable. If your goal is to meet or talk to them, that's probably a better way to do it.

How-to panels and workshops are FAR more interesting, and valuable, than talking heads. We're trying to make sure our panels are better, more thought-out and informative, and less "OMG we should totally do a panel on how awesome BLEACH is" than we've sometimes had in the past.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that bloggers, podcasters, and webcomics folks can often be found in the Alley (or sometimes the dealer's room), where they are far more accessible and approachable. If your goal is to meet or talk to them, that's probably a better way to do it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.