• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread but I just HAD to reply to anything Dramacon related!

Yes, I love this manga - and I didnt think I would. I was a snob about manga awhile back and didnt want to try it because it was N. American made. Anyway, a book seller at Border's told me I had to try it. So I read the back and the synopsis sounded interesting....... taking place in a con and everything..... so I said, okay I'll give it a try.

LOVED IT and I promptly bought the 2nd vol.

Now, vol. 3 came out Dec 2007 and it was THE BEST vol ever. wow, it was good. I liked Bethany's family - the mother is a lot like my mom in regards to anime/cons. my mom thinks that otakon is a "freak show" and won't come near it. lol

My only complaint is that the ending wasn't conclusive.... IMHO. I feel like it was sorta open for a dramacon 4, but I know there isnt going to be a #4. However I love all the inside jokes and things within the manga..... it helps to know about con and anime culture before reading it.

and you know what - I personally think that the convention that takes place in this manga is based off of otakon :ph34r: ..... here's why:

1. the convention center is called, "lakeside convention center". hmmmm..... the BCC is next to the inner harbor

2. there is a small running gag in each vol about the confusing map system within the convention center. EVERYONE says that about otakon/BCC

3. vol 3 had the characters staying in a "days lodge" that was right across the street from the con. hmmmmmmmm...... isnt there a "days inn" across the street from the BCC?

4. the artist alley is HUGE and similar to otakon's

5. the staff in the manga are similar to otakon's staff in how they patrol the convention. hehehe. I liked how they had headsets and would run after people doing the wrong thing...

anyway, if you havent read drama [and come on, its only 3 vol].... please do. its a shojo but anyone - even the most macho fanboy - can enjoy it :blush:

• 1 month later...

Actually if you get a good look at the map...

http://yattacon.animecons.com/images/map.gif

and then take a look at the floor plans for the BCC... you'll see some similarties...

and when I say some, I mean...

It's the same. xD

Just put together in building format.

8D I checked! xD

I don't believe that Dramacon is completely over yet xD

If you read on Svetlana's personal webpage, after she most recently updated it (or it may have been her livejournal, I don't remember) she actually says that she MAY do more Dramacon, but currently she isnt because she is focusing on other projects. So while it may not be for some time, there may yet be a Dramacon volume 4.

I loved Dramacon in its entirety, and back at Otakon 2006 I cosplayed as Matt from volume 1.

• 1 month later...

I read it online at Tokyopop.com and loved it.

I can see where you can get the similarities to Otakon but then again you can still get that confusing where the heck am I, this map sucks, I don't understand Greek kinda layout, that's almost at every semi large con you go to.

• 3 weeks later...
Actually if you get a good look at the map...

http://yattacon.animecons.com/images/map.gif

and then take a look at the floor plans for the BCC... you'll see some similarties...

and when I say some, I mean...

It's the same. xD

Just put together in building format.

8D I checked! xD

...and your map doesn't include the back rooms.

I used to get crap from my D&D buddies about the over complicated maps I used.

then I showed 'em the *real* maps of the BCC, that show closets and back corridors and whatnot.

I still routinely take a wrong turn in one particular area of the back hallways on the 300 level (new section) and wind up going the long way round a storage room.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the BCC and tales of being hopelessly, unutterably lost. My first year I was looking for...I forget what, but somehow ended up on the third level where they were taping out the line for Mystery Anime Theater. The next year I swear to god I took the same set of stairs three different times and ended up in totally different parts of the basement level. The year before last I walked in circles around the Dealers' Room looking for the exit, only to always end up at the secret door; I finally broke down and asked how to get out--a question I had to answer roughly 300 times the next day, when I took my own shift there. Last year I had the extra confusion of the backstage areas thrown in; a typo on my schedule said I had to be at Artists', but the room number listed was Dealers', so I went early to double-check with each group to see who was expecting me. The halls were right next to each other, but the only "legal" way between them involved something like three flights of stairs and a hike halfway across the building, so I got a staffer's permission to slip down the service hall. Big mistake! Thank goodness I was over half an hour early--I showed up for my shift barely five minutes early and so turned around that I had to ask directions to leave, as retracing my steps so wasn't an option.

...and your map doesn't include the back rooms.

I used to get crap from my D&D buddies about the over complicated maps I used.

then I showed 'em the *real* maps of the BCC, that show closets and back corridors and whatnot.

I still routinely take a wrong turn in one particular area of the back hallways on the 300 level (new section) and wind up going the long way round a storage room.

Edited by theshaggyfreak
Ah, the BCC and tales of being hopelessly, unutterably lost. My first year I was looking for...I forget what, but somehow ended up on the third level where they were taping out the line for Mystery Anime Theater. The next year I swear to god I took the same set of stairs three different times and ended up in totally different parts of the basement level. The year before last I walked in circles around the Dealers' Room looking for the exit, only to always end up at the secret door; I finally broke down and asked how to get out--a question I had to answer roughly 300 times the next day, when I took my own shift there. Last year I had the extra confusion of the backstage areas thrown in; a typo on my schedule said I had to be at Artists', but the room number listed was Dealers', so I went early to double-check with each group to see who was expecting me. The halls were right next to each other, but the only "legal" way between them involved something like three flights of stairs and a hike halfway across the building, so I got a staffer's permission to slip down the service hall. Big mistake! Thank goodness I was over half an hour early--I showed up for my shift barely five minutes early and so turned around that I had to ask directions to leave, as retracing my steps so wasn't an option.
LOL

You sound like Ryoga :blush:

I've drawn that comparison among friends before. I'm officially the "un-navigator" of our group; all of my stories about navigation end with "...and then we ended up in East St. Louis," "...so that's when we realized we were an hour on the wrong side of the Kansas border," "...six stops later, I realized I was supposed to be on the red line!" or "...so cue me, twenty blocks later...." One of my first years coming to the convention, I directed our little group the wrong way on a one-way street and didn't realize--despite the other car in our party calling frantically over CB--until we were faced with bewildered, honking traffic. I've even managed to get lost on the Skywalk, and it's only, like, six blocks long!

• 2 months later...

the final volume disappointed me.. I want moar plz +__+;;

but overall.. great series by a mangaka with a very strange name! (its awesome XD)

1. the convention center is called, "lakeside convention center". hmmmm..... the BCC is next to the inner harbor

2. there is a small running gag in each vol about the confusing map system within the convention center. EVERYONE says that about otakon/BCC

3. vol 3 had the characters staying in a "days lodge" that was right across the street from the con. hmmmmmmmm...... isnt there a "days inn" across the street from the BCC?

5. the staff in the manga are similar to otakon's staff in how they patrol the convention. hehehe. I liked how they had headsets and would run after people doing the wrong thing...

anyway, if you havent read drama [and come on, its only 3 vol].... please do. its a shojo but anyone - even the most macho fanboy - can enjoy it :D

• 2 weeks later...

anyway, if you havent read drama [and come on, its only 3 vol].... please do. its a shojo but anyone - even the most macho fanboy - can enjoy it ^_^

1. I noticed that too, and since the con in Dramacon is called "YattaCon" I had always suspected it was a parody/pastiche of Otakon.

2. THAT MAP. It is so very much like the maps of the BCC! I've been going to Ota for five years and staffing for three and I STILL get lost, especially as alabaster mentioned in that 300 hallway. I couldn't help giggling at the "don't know where you are? neither do we.." captions on the map. I think it's just the shape of the building and the way the hallways are. Or it's pretty much that Thirteen Oclock/Escher-esque scene in Labyrinth minus David Bowie singing 'Within You'. Now I know better...I like to think I won't get lost this year. ^.^;;;;

3. Yes. There is a Days Inn across the street. Good call on that one!

4. Again true.

5. Actually, there's a panel in the manga where a female staffer is looking a little flustered and like "I need a truckload of tylenol. There better be drinking happening tonight." or something along the lines of that. I was like "omg, that's so like me". She even looked similar to me.

I was reading Vol. 3 the other day because this is that 30 days away period before Otakon where it's like static electricity and you're just WAITING to go and get there and so I was like "man I should read vol 3."

I like how Matt and Christie finally were like "okay, let's try and not be totally stubborn and work this out" and it was a bit of an open ending. I agree.

If Svetlana plans on doing more awesome, but it could honestly end where it did.

It's not like it was X manga. Which I think will never EVER be finished. Oh CLAMP. Dirty teases.

Anyway! Yattacon does bear VERY large resemblence to Otakon. Has Svetlana ever come out and say it's based on Otakon?