Thursday Night activities

Since I live right outside of Washington DC, the trip doesn't take long. I usually arrive a little early to do some sightseeing. Last year it was the Aquarium. Not sure where I'll end up this year. Then off to Inner Harbor for lunch. Check into the hotel and then head over to the convention center, camera in hand to take pics of the line and any cosplayers. Then dinner before getting in line around 6:30 or 7:00.

I think a sushi meet up would be something I'd enjoy attending. This will be my 10th straight Otakon and I want it to be the most memorable...next to making it into the L'arc concert near the front AND being in the dvd. :P

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I live right outside of Washington DC, the trip doesn't take long. I usually arrive a little early to do some sightseeing. Last year it was the Aquarium. Not sure where I'll end up this year. Then off to Inner Harbor for lunch. Check into the hotel and then head over to the convention center, camera in hand to take pics of the line and any cosplayers. Then dinner before getting in line around 6:30 or 7:00.

I think a sushi meet up would be something I'd enjoy attending. This will be my 10th straight Otakon and I want it to be the most memorable...next to making it into the L'arc concert near the front AND being in the dvd. :P

Last year, our group met up with another group from NY and went to some spanish cuisine place near the edo restaurant. We didn't really have too much of a choice because the Edo was always packed to the max. lol. Aside from that, we pretty hung out, chilled and planned what we were gonna do for the next day when the con started.

I always loved Thursday night activities because I saw it as like pregaming for the big event. The year before, we ended up going to Maggie's Irish Pub and ended up playing some Texas holdem with some Yankees fans that were in town and the locals. That was definitely a fun drinking night lol.

I was thinking of maybe putting together a gathering-like thing.

Anybody up for a fun bar hopping night on Thur?

Last year, our group met up with another group from NY and went to some spanish cuisine place near the edo restaurant. We didn't really have too much of a choice because the Edo was always packed to the max. lol. Aside from that, we pretty hung out, chilled and planned what we were gonna do for the next day when the con started.

I always loved Thursday night activities because I saw it as like pregaming for the big event. The year before, we ended up going to Maggie's Irish Pub and ended up playing some Texas holdem with some Yankees fans that were in town and the locals. That was definitely a fun drinking night lol.

I was thinking of maybe putting together a gathering-like thing.

Anybody up for a fun bar hopping night on Thur?

I think a sushi meet up would be something I'd enjoy attending. This will be my 10th straight Otakon and I want it to be the most memorable...next to making it into the L'arc concert near the front AND being in the dvd. :wacko:

My Thursday night is spent sleeping, waking up at 1 AM on Friday and packing the stuff for the 4 hour drive to Baltimore.

... to which I won't be sleeping till 1 AM the following day.

If I get that internship I'm aiming for, then I'll be working in B-more. That cuts travel time down to a matter of minutes on Thursday. I'm hoping to be able to do some extra hours during the beginning of the week to make up for me wanting to get off early that day as well as for missing Friday. Might even start all that the week before...

I'll get picked up by my boyfriend and head to the hotel. We'll get settled in, take in the awesome view from our hotel room, get our badges at some point, and go out to dinner when everyone is there and ready. I'm sure we'll hang out and be all giddy together for at least a few hours, and then try to go to sleep so we can get up at a decent time in the morning. At some point I know I'll get excited and start getting all my outfits sorted to make sure all is in order.

Sounds like good times to me...

I think a sushi meet up would be something I'd enjoy attending. This will be my 10th straight Otakon and I want it to be the most memorable...next to making it into the L'arc concert near the front AND being in the dvd. ^_^

Whoever is organizing the sushi/sake meet-up on Thursday night should keep in touch with everyone who's interested in going...... maybe via AIM. and then closer to the con date via textmessages. I definately want to come! I've actually never been to a sushi bar and I've never tried sake. WOW...... just saying that makes me feel like a newbie. Trust me, I am NOT a newbie ^_^

• 5 weeks later...

How do you plan on organizing a meet-up with people on these messages boards that you've never met before? then there's the issue of people not showing up and you already reserved a table.

How do you plan on organizing a meet-up with people on these messages boards that you've never met before? then there's the issue of people not showing up and you already reserved a table.

1. Start a separate thread in the General Discussions > General Chit Chat section.

2. State where you want to meet up and eat

3. People will post if they are interested or not in the thread.

4. Classified info like cellphone number exchanges are done via PM.

I'm very excited to be attending Otakon for my first time this year, and after reading through the message boards about past Otakons, I've decided to fly solo in from Charleston, South Carolina on Thursday around 4:00pm-ish rather than on Friday. I don't yet know anyone so I'm eager to be inducted into the the whole thing. So long as nobody minds a newbie to the whole convention thing I'd love to try and meet some people at a get-together on Thursday night!

I'm very excited to be attending Otakon for my first time this year, and after reading through the message boards about past Otakons, I've decided to fly solo in from Charleston, South Carolina on Thursday around 4:00pm-ish rather than on Friday. I don't yet know anyone so I'm eager to be inducted into the the whole thing. So long as nobody minds a newbie to the whole convention thing I'd love to try and meet some people at a get-together on Thursday night!

Thursday is my day to get ready for the con. First of all I get up uber early in the morning that day, get to the airport half asleep and take a flight into Baltimore. Usually takes a couple hours once you get in the air. I spend that time sleeping and tormenting my father usually. Once we get there, we take the shuttle to the hotel. It's usually about noon then. We get unpacked, watch the television, and take a little nap. About 2pm or so, we get in the pre-reg line with a little shoulder cooler and some umbrellas.. (maybe some sunscreen this year, I'm ungodly pale..) For a few hours we sit on the sidewalk, chat with random people and just observe the insanity, sometimes taking photos or videos.

Then the line moves. By the time we get in, I'm out of water... We stand in more lines, get our badges, then we go down the steps toward the exit. And almost every year my dad then uses the restroom and I drink the Chesapeake bay through the drinking fountain.

But this year is special. Thursday is my 21st b-day. So after we rest, I'm going out for some drinks. I still gotta call Steve Bennett and see if he still wants to join me and get wasted (lol)

Thursday is my day to get ready for the con. First of all I get up uber early in the morning that day, get to the airport half asleep and take a flight into Baltimore. Usually takes a couple hours once you get in the air. I spend that time sleeping and tormenting my father usually. Once we get there, we take the shuttle to the hotel. It's usually about noon then. We get unpacked, watch the television, and take a little nap. About 2pm or so, we get in the pre-reg line with a little shoulder cooler and some umbrellas.. (maybe some sunscreen this year, I'm ungodly pale..) For a few hours we sit on the sidewalk, chat with random people and just observe the insanity, sometimes taking photos or videos.

Then the line moves. By the time we get in, I'm out of water... We stand in more lines, get our badges, then we go down the steps toward the exit. And almost every year my dad then uses the restroom and I drink the Chesapeake bay through the drinking fountain.

But this year is special. Thursday is my 21st b-day. So after we rest, I'm going out for some drinks. I still gotta call Steve Bennett and see if he still wants to join me and get wasted (lol)

You're an August 7th baby? Me too! :)

I usually spend all of Thursday setting up in the staff suite, building shelves, arranging tables, waiting for tubs of equipment, cleaning coolers, loading them with incredible amounts of ice.

This year, since it's my birthday, I think I'll be setting up in the staff suite, building shelves, arranging tables, waiting for tubs of equipment, cleaning coolers, loading them with incredible amounts of ice. AND maybe if we have enough time, going to Mortons for a ridiculously expensive but unbelievably good dinner.

last year my group went to the Cheesecake Factory (in the small indoor mall/restaurant complex by the water) on thursday after badge pickup.

If you've been there before then you know its pretty pricey. of course we didnt know and we blew half of our con food money in one sitting (that monster carrot cake WAS pretty good though =D) Then we toured the USS Constellation, then headed back home to make some last minute cosplay fixes.

Thursday's nice because you can enjoy the atmosphere around the BCC without feeling like you're missing the con. ^_^

last year my group went to the Cheesecake Factory (in the small indoor mall/restaurant complex by the water) on thursday after badge pickup.

If you've been there before then you know its pretty pricey. of course we didnt know and we blew half of our con food money in one sitting (that monster carrot cake WAS pretty good though =D) Then we toured the USS Constellation, then headed back home to make some last minute cosplay fixes.

Thursday's nice because you can enjoy the atmosphere around the BCC without feeling like you're missing the con. ^_^

This is just a suggestion, but you might want to plan a Thursday activity for during the day rather than spend all of it waiting in line. Otakon is not going to run out of badges, and there is nothing actually happening on Thursday. I appreciate the social ritual of it all, but all the money spent on fluids consumed while waiting in line could be put towards better things (such as, say, anime, carrot cake, or my favorite, the apple dumpling). Some effort needs to be put into making sure groups don't get too big, but there's no reason you can't group up by arrival time and/or interest, and do something indoors in the area until the afternoon when pre-reg is actually open. This way, there's less chance of heat stroke, and the staff has more people available to get everything ready for the con.

After everyone has their badges, everyone can go back to their hotel room and review the con schedule and maps and then go straight to sleep so that they're ready to start enjoying the convention when it opens Friday morning!

Okay, so the bit about going straight to sleep is a joke, but I'd like to think the rest of the plan is a good idea. ^_^

My first year on thursday, we checked into the hotel around 2pm. Made dinner and snacks for the 6 of us ate up and left the room around 5:30..got in line, took less then an hour, surprisingly. Got back, played a little "Wizards" and I headed to the hotel pool for a quick swim before it closed. Got back to the room around 8 or 9, can't remember and we played more "Wizards" and discussed what everyone wanted to do on friday before turning in. I felt bad for falling asleep first, because I snore like a mofo', but I wore myself out in the pool, so I was happy to get to sleep.

Second year, got to the hotel around 2, got our tickets, etc. Then we went exploring for a little while, getting dinner after ticket nabbing. We wandered a few bars and basically just mingled with the people of Baltimore.

Third year, I didn't get to Baltimore untill about 2 in the morning, thursday into friday. Which sucked hardcore. I was working a late hours job, and couldn't get thursday off. So, I worked until 10..picked up two other people who couldn't get off work and we drove down. It shouldn't have taken us that long, but they were doing construction on I-95. I ended up not sleeping at all, thursday into friday. Went to the hotel pool when it was just opening and swam around for a bit to get myself energized for the day that wouldn't end.

Last year..I basically just had a blast. It was only me and the girlfriend, so we got to the hotel around 11am and checked in an hour later. Got the room situated, had a few adult beverages and got some dinner before heading to the ticket line. We got our tickets and went directly back to the hotel to shower and have some pre-con fun before falling asleep in exhaustion. :o

Looking forward to this year..as my previous group has decided to attend, and me the girlfriend are getting our own room again. So, I get the best of both worlds. :blink:

My group usually arrives in the late afternoon and relaxes at the hotel for awhile, ya know, to rest up from the 3 hour drive. Then we pick up our badges and go to Phillips Seafood for dinner (and drinks, it's vacation afterall!). After dinner we usually stroll around the Inner Harbor, and then watch some TV/Anime/Play games until about 10-11 p.m. and get into bed early so we are fresh and ready to head out to the con on time!

Oh yeah, we also plot out what things we want to go to, so we have a tentative schedule of sorts. :o

Edited by Samiki
As long as you're smart about it, that's your choice. Drink plenty of water, wear sunblock (do you really wanna deal with sunburn when people bump into you at the con?), dress appropriately, all that good stuff.

RIGHT GUARD!! :o;)

• 4 weeks later...

Yea I feel so excited like 3 days before the convention. I pack early cause i want to just leave and get there.

Last yr was my first time and we drove down. We parked so far away from the bbc because were dumb, so we took the dog and the group and walked to the BBC. I am so honest, we walked about 10 miles to get there. How far is BBC from the train station. That is were we parked. we walked down and saw cosplayers. Then it finally hit me. Iv waited a yr to go and im finally here. I started screaming. I was so excited.

So this year when i see baltimore signs from the car i will feel really good!

Anyway, Before I go Im gonna reading the forums and rereading the website, read dramacon and making sure everything is in order.

The disorganization to me is fun. It get's me pumped!

For the last 5 years, we would always arrive in Baltimore around 3pm and check into our hotel rooms, after that, we would all pile into the SUV and drive to the convention center (we stayed in Lithicum the last couple years) we would wait in like, do a little hacking, listen to our ipod and just talk about how awesome this years con is going to be. After that we drive back to our hotel and relax for a little bit, and then we go to dinner that night and catch a movie afterwards.

we walked down and saw cosplayers. Then it finally hit me. Iv waited a yr to go and im finally here. I started screaming. I was so excited.

My friend Steve and I have come down to Baltimore on Thursday since early pickup started. Typically we'd head over to ESPN Zone and have dinner there followed by picking up our badges -- we never saw the point in getting ther early; we'd usually get there later to avoid the majority of the line. Then we'd head back to the hotel room to play video games until the small hours of the morning.

Last year, Steve wasn't able to make it so I went to a much better restaraunt in the inner harbor, had some wonderful fish tacos and a few beers followed by a trip back to the hotel for a couple of martinis while enjoying the conversation with folks in the bar. Honestly, I think that was more fun. :)

we walked down and saw cosplayers. Then it finally hit me. Iv waited a yr to go and im finally here. I started screaming. I was so excited.

I know exactly how you feel. When you arrive to the BCC you can feel the energy in the air - or at least I can.

Last year I arrived in Baltimore Thurs. night around 6 pm and while my group was driving around trying to find a parking space we saw a van driving down Pratt Street with "Otakon or Bust" spraypainted on each side of the car! The van also had streamers hanging from it and was driving rather fast :blush:. seeing that confirmed for me that this was going to be an awesome weekend.

What are some good bars/pool places within walking distance to otakon? In prior years we've been doing our post-pre-con-registration gathering at Edgar's, which is a fine place to do it, but maybe there are some better options?

My routine is basically get into a carpool sometime Thursday, get to the hotel at around 6pm and prepreg at 7-8. Then hang out with a bunch of internet people I don't normally see for dinner. It's a big group so we break up into >21 and <21 after that; some go to said Edgar's, others party at hotel rooms or elsewhere.

We do this on Thursday mainly because there's a thousand things to do after the con opens on Friday, and it'll be hard to get everyone together for such a long time.

• 1 month later...

Last year was my first time in Maryland, Baltimore and Otakon. I almost didn't go back this year cause it was so perfect in terms of everything last year.

But what I did for my weekend:

Drove from Lansing down to Ann Arbor on Tues, stayed with a friend.

Drove from AA to Warren, Ohio on Wed to stay with my Aunt and Uncle.

Drove from Warren to Baltimore on Thursday. Arrived at the hotel, dropped all my stuff off, and then took the van to the lightrail parking lot about 12 miles away.

Rode the Light Rail in, went to dinner with friends and then walked in and got my badge with no wait around 7pm.

Walked around a little more to get an idea of where everything was, and then went back to the hotel room. Met and got to know my room mates (I was a last minute addition to a room after my earlier plans had to be canceled. Glad it turned out that way too).

And the weather last year??? You honestly could not have asked for a better weekend. Little humidity, almost perfect temps and NO rain.

I expect worse this year cause it's just the way it is.

Still, I will be there at 4pm on Thurs, get into the room, unpack, head out with the same friends I made last year in the same room and grab dinner, may even spend a couple hours at the Aquarium. Enjoy some of the harbor activities, grab my badge around 7pm, and enjoy the nightlife.

As for the con weekend, I found that my main interests were the larger events, so I'm going to spend a little more time around Baltimore seeing the sites.

C

my THURSDAYS!

Usually it's a sleepover with the girls (Even though we're adults!) We do each others hair and talk about the events we look forward to and maybe play some x box stuff.

Last year I had a room with some college friends! It was awesome. My Thursday was spent hanging out with them in the room. The fay time however was a nightmare getting art ready!

This Thursday is unknown. I could be at a hotel or at a sleepover again. Oh well. If it's neither I'll just go up there to hang on Thursday.

Thursday...hm...will probably go something like this :

- Get up early. (This year 5am). Be generally harpy-ish and probably what a nargle might possibly be.

- Oh look! Starbucks! Tamed that nargle!

- 80s music vacation soundtrack ahoy!

-Leave CT for Baltimore in the Rent-a-Van with my friends and find ways to ignore the bridges we go over to get there. (I'm a gephyraphobe.)

- New Jersey rest stop. My kneecaps feel pastede on yay. Will want to go om nom nom on snack food.

- Deleware Bridge. Panic ensues. Hope will have fallen asleep beforehand and wake up conveniently after crossing said bridge. (2006, this actually happened, and I knew I fell asleep because last I remember Nuriko's image song was on, and then next think I knew Ending Theme. My geekdom, let me show it to you.)

- Go under tunnel. Avow not to attempt to hold breath like everyone else to see if we'll actually win this time. Do it anyway. Tell myself never again.

- See that LAAAAAAAAST stretch of highway and rejoice! ....and can feel the imminent signs of humidity.

- Get out of van. Am punched in the face by Baltimore humidity.

-Usually take my luggage and walk from one hotel to another. (My friends are Attendees and generally in a different hotel...hopefully I can get dropped off this year instead of walking.^^:) Check in. Unpack necessities.

-Get badge.

-Take a breath. Gather wits. Proceed to BCC. Admire BCC for a moment and how much I love being there. Proceed to enter.

-Attempt to find. Remember to put on my glasses. Find Dept Head, help set up Dealer's Room/Art Alley and attempt to not swoon from dehydration. Again.

- Fetch drinks/food for other Exhibitions staff, greet staffer friends enthusiastically, etc.

- Secretly squee! in Otakon Thurs. Excitement. Five years in, still love it to pieces and still get the Thursday Squee!

- Finish up AA/Dealer's Room set up for Thurs night. Proceed to hotel. Eat. Perhaps some Robot Chicken before bed. Go to sleep later than I should most likely. Get the most hours of sleep I will have that weekend. Which is something like five. Realize that by the time I go to sleep it's probably 2 am and actually Friday.

My Thursdays are pretty much always like that. It tends to actually be such a blur of getting ready/excitement it's Friday before I know it.

Guest iBrooke87

You're an August 7th baby? Me too! ^_^

I usually spend all of Thursday setting up in the staff suite, building shelves, arranging tables, waiting for tubs of equipment, cleaning coolers, loading them with incredible amounts of ice.

This year, since it's my birthday, I think I'll be setting up in the staff suite, building shelves, arranging tables, waiting for tubs of equipment, cleaning coolers, loading them with incredible amounts of ice. AND maybe if we have enough time, going to Mortons for a ridiculously expensive but unbelievably good dinner.

What are some good bars/pool places within walking distance to otakon? In prior years we've been doing our post-pre-con-registration gathering at Edgar's, which is a fine place to do it, but maybe there are some better options?
Oh Em Gee!! I'm sooo angry! My 21st is Aug. 15 *cries*

I have a group going after they pick up badges over to Edo (as opposed to Shiro and going before getting badges) If anyone from the boards wants to come with us I'm sure we wouldn't mind extra people :D. It would probablly be like 6 or 7 ish when we leave to go there. If interested just PM me or something, all I ask is you be mature >_<

and for that sushi meet up can i please PLEASE get a partner to take me there >.< i got lost in the mall and missed it ^_^

Well since your rooming with me now, there shouldnt be a problem.

Can anyone go to Edo's Sushi?? I'd like to meet some Otakus this year so I might bring a friend Thursday night if I can get her outta bed. ^_^

(sorry couldn't edit)

Yes anyone can go to Edo Sushi's... We have quite a big group going to Edo then picking up their badges after the line's died down, which many people seem to think is a great idea.

Evilrob...I wish everyone could be as organized for their Thursday as Silver is.

Edited by Shiro420

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.