Outdoor concerts in 2008?

Has anyone heard any rumors of any outdoor concerts this year? I haven't been able to make the convention every year, but I was there in 2004 when L'Arc En Ciel made their North American concert debut at Otakon 2004 at the 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore. It was a kick a$$ concert ...

I think bands really should take advantage of playing at events such as Otakon where only hard core fans show up. I mean I never heard of L'Arc En Ciel before that day, and now I follow them pretty religiously. They just had a new album released here in the States, which I was able to download the whole thing on I-tunes

Here is a sample of some of their songs:

SEVENTH HEAVEN

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Arch/KS/L...234/1/sound.asx

MY HEART DRAWS A DREAM

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Arch/KS/L...234/3/sound.asx

ALSO - THERE IS A SPECIAL ONLINE PROMOTION AT CAMPUS CIRCLE MAGAZINE

http://www.campuscircle.com/sweeps/LarcenCiel/

moderator edit: please link to images instead of posting them.

Hopefully see you this year!

Paul

Edited by ZGL

Unh-huh. Unh-huh.

And just WHERE do you or the rumors propose HOLDING said outdoor concerts?

Oriole Park (and the related parking lots) are spoken for during Otakon 2008. Some silly little thing involving rangers, birds, and a ball.

M&T Bank Stadium? Okay, just maybe.

So, let's see what the cost of holding such a concert would amount to, divide by 20,000............ hmmmm, ready to pay another $10-30 or more per person membership?

Of course, that would guarantee tropical-storm scale rains, and Baltimore at this point needs the rain........... I guess we could try for a subsidy from the state for rain-creation............ :)

There are no plans for an outdoor concert at this time. We will have the Arena and plan to do a big Friday night concert there, while the Masquerade pretty much eats up all of Saturday. At this point I'm pretty sure that a Sunday concert would be held in the BCC, much like we did with Eminence in 2007 -- we simply can't afford the Arena for another day.

We've toyed around with various ideas -- having a group of smaller acts perform at Harborplace, for example, or having a drum group perform outside during line-up/registration times on Thursday and Friday. We looked into renting large festival tents last year when we lost the use of the Arena but it wasn't viable. I even once playfully suggested that we have the karaoke moved outside....

But I need to stress that there really aren't suitable venues nearby that would make monetary and logistical sense for us for any major outdoor concert. As Sandy suggests, it would really *suck* to blow our wad renting out the stadium only to have it pour....and of course, I wouldn't be thrilled if our performers collapsed in the legendary heat and humidity, either.

Having a small Thursday concert from a locally-based relevant group down in say, Harborplace, would probably bring some good attention to the con. Groups like, say, Nen Daiko, Washington Toho Koto Society, as well as more, uh, noticeable acts like Peelander-Z. Of course, ultimately, if cost is a problem, then no dice.

Having a small Thursday concert from a locally-based relevant group down in say, Harborplace, would probably bring some good attention to the con. Groups like, say, Nen Daiko, Washington Toho Koto Society, as well as more, uh, noticeable acts like Peelander-Z. Of course, ultimately, if cost is a problem, then no dice.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking. Our ability to do something like that would depend on cost, availability of location, and availability of staffers to run it.

But the murderous Baltimore heat and the reasonable likelihood of a rain-out adds to the risk.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking. Our ability to do something like that would depend on cost, availability of location, and availability of staffers to run it.

But the murderous Baltimore heat and the reasonable likelihood of a rain-out adds to the risk.

For a covered venue, you could get always get creative and take over some of the canopy at the Charles St. Entrance. Or have something available should it pour.

I seem to recall that the BCC and police had issues with that idea when I floated it a few years ago. I think the comment was "um, given what has happened at your prior concerts..."

Wow...I didn't even know L'Arc's new album had been released in the U.S. I pre-ordered the Japanese release and got it when it came out in November. ^^ But being the rabid obsessed L'Arc fan that I am, I shall have to order the U.S. version too! I gotta support my favorite band! <3

Thanks for posting about that contest too! I entered it. I wonder what the "prize package" is. It doesn't really tell you any details. Hmm...oh well. ^^0

And if you didn't know, their upcoming new single is the theme for Devil May Cry 4!

As for the outdoor concerts, I think I'd actually rather stay INSIDE. Knowing the heat in Baltimore that time of year, at least it's somewhat cooler inside than outside. Sure, it's still hot because of the mass of people, but it's still gotta be cooler than outside!

EDIT: Oh I see, it's available on iTunes. I thought I could purchase the actual CD. >_<

Edited by .Schala.
We've toyed around with various ideas -- having a group of smaller acts perform at Harborplace, for example, or having a drum group perform outside during line-up/registration times on Thursday and Friday. We looked into renting large festival tents last year when we lost the use of the Arena but it wasn't viable. I even once playfully suggested that we have the karaoke moved outside....
  • 2 months later...

Now that you've announced the musical guest, I would like to know if you have any tips for first-time concert-goers (such as my 13 year old son and I). I really would like to see JAM Project in concert, so I also would like to know how safe the concert venue is, etc. I don't really go out at night, so it'll be a first time for me and my son.

The venue certainly isn't outdoors. It's at the First Mariner Arena, a couple blocks away from the BCC. It's perfectly fine.

The washington, dc cherry blossom festival 'sakura matsui' has portable stages for outside performances..... why couldnt this work? we could have smaller musical groups, japanese drumming, etc on these type of stages - and they're also covered.

'course...... any outside performance in the inner harborplace would scare the locals more so than we normally do :D

For a covered venue, you could get always get creative and take over some of the canopy at the Charles St. Entrance. Or have something available should it pour.

I seem to recall that the BCC and police had issues with that idea when I floated it a few years ago. I think the comment was "um, given what has happened at your prior concerts..."

I've been to the past few concerts and well....do I not want to know what happened? I never noticed anything wrong, but with all those people I suppose something could go wrong.

The heat in early august in Baltimore (especially if, god forbid, it rains BEFORE it gets hot, and things get MUGGY in the city) then yes, I'd say it would be unbearable, but if there is any way to show more talent, it would be pretty cool.

The washington, dc cherry blossom festival 'sakura matsui' has portable stages for outside performances..... why couldnt this work? we could have smaller musical groups, japanese drumming, etc on these type of stages - and they're also covered.

Well, I can think of several reasons for this. First, and foremost, the sakura matsuri is held in April, when it's roughly 70 degrees in DC (if we're lucky). Having outside concerts in August, when the temperature is more like 90 degrees would have to be very carefully planned, with shading a necessity, both for performers and for the audience.

Second, I believe last year the costs for tents and possible locations to set them up was looked into, and it would be prohibitive. Portable stages would have to be watched, possibly security hired to prevent vandalism and homeless people from using them overnight. But Alabaster would know more about the costs than I would.

And fourth, the difference between the National Cherry Blossom Festival and Otakon is they have a whole group of people whose entire concentration is on the matsuri, while we would have to split our already limited staff to concentrate on the outside stage(s), inside the BCC as well as the First Mariner. Having extra locations outside could, and I'd even say would, be a drain on our staff.

Now, after saying that, if anyone is interested enough in having outside concerts that they would like to do some background footwork (investigating licenses, security costs, rental costs for stages, tenting, seating, sound equipment and fans, fees charged by performers), you can always present a proposal to Otakorp. I know of several people who have expressed interest in using the outside areas, myself included. Doing a proposal would show that you are truly interested and dedicated to the idea, and would encourage others on staff to look at this idea more seriously. You're welcome to pm me with thoughts, if you like.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.