Finding love at Anime Conventions and in General

Is it possible to find that special someone at Otakon - or any anime convention?

As otaku we want to find a significant other that'll understand our otaku-ness - since the average person will find it to be quite odd. So the obvious solution is to look towards our anime clubs and cons. Some people are sucessful - and some aren't. Some cons have dating games and events centered around bring singles together. Otakon doesn't have that - but there IS the rave..... and you do see people making out in the corner ^_^

There's a great manga, Dramacon, that shows how a romance can develop at a con and lead into a great relationship. Is this realistic. Have YOU found love at Otakon? And if so, what are some tips/advice for someone who is eagerly looking [i am not refering to me, I have a BF lol ^_^]

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
its possible, but with the danger of being called a creep, you have a better chance finding love at a con while your NOT looking.

there was an singles meetup last year, consisted of 20 guys and two girls :)

that's quite sad....... I feel sorry for fanboys.

It could be that we are being to unrealistic in what we want. Fangirls aren't going to find a bishounen as cute as Yagami Light and fanboys aren't going to find a girl as cute as Rikku.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's up to the person. I mean there is always a possibility if one tries hard enough. ^_^ Love unfolds in some of the most rediculious and obscure places and one shouldn't be afraid to look. Although ^_^ honestly sometimes otakon can bring drama along with love X3 XD Like in Dramacon or something of that nature.

Ok whats up with this whole make out thing. I've been to Otakon 4 times now and not once have I seen anybody making out, and I was standing some of the corners of the rave. Now Im not saying that Im looking for it but I have yet to see anything of the sort so how in the world do you guys and girls keep running into it.

Ok whats up with this whole make out thing. I've been to Otakon 4 times now and not once have I seen anybody making out, and I was standing some of the corners of the rave. Now Im not saying that Im looking for it but I have yet to see anything of the sort so how in the world do you guys and girls keep running into it.
I've found people making out at the rave, big room. Yeah... there should be more speed dating panels. I'm not old enough for one (DX), but I find the idea amusing, pushing a group of people who are (stereotypically, not always) socially awkward together like that.
I've found people making out at the rave, big room. Yeah... there should be more speed dating panels. I'm not old enough for one (DX), but I find the idea amusing, pushing a group of people who are (stereotypically, not always) socially awkward together like that.

lol the shyness level in such a panel would be really high. I guess thats why people choose the rave...its dark so no one can see them.

because raves, no one remebers who you are. if you dance weird, you just that person that danced weird. if your that person that was grabbing people, your just that person that was grabbing people.

if your that person that was making out with everyone at the rave...well you get the idea by now

because raves, no one remebers who you are. if you dance weird, you just that person that danced weird. if your that person that was grabbing people, your just that person that was grabbing people.

if your that person that was making out with everyone at the rave...well you get the idea by now

Exactly. There's a 98% chance that you'll NEVER see any of these people again. So just have fun.

I'm not an otaku or "socially awkward" myself, but I can't imagine dating an otaku, much less one I met at a con.

I'm not sure why, but I think I'd find it creepy more than anything. Maybe because to me, watching anime is a hobby, not a lifestyle, but most otaku seem to take anime way too seriously. Heh...

My boyfriend barely has any idea what anime even is (though he does lurk 4chan). I think if he was an otaku, our relationship would be really strange. I have otaku friends who date other otaku, and their relationships always end up turning into "I'm a bigger nerd than you"/"My anime are better than your anime" thing, where it's more a comparison/competition of interests rather than an actual romantic attraction.

But then again, my opinion probably doesn't count for much here, because, like I said, I'm not an otaku. But I can understand why otaku would want to meet/date other otaku. =P And plenty of anime geeks DO have successful relationships with other people like them.

As far as the making-out thing goes, I saw plenty of it in really random places last year, particularly when it was dark outside. And that was just in the convention center...God only knows what was going on in some of the hotels.

I'm not an otaku or "socially awkward" myself, but I can't imagine dating an otaku, much less one I met at a con.

I'm not sure why, but I think I'd find it creepy more than anything. Maybe because to me, watching anime is a hobby, not a lifestyle, but most otaku seem to take anime way too seriously. Heh...

My boyfriend barely has any idea what anime even is (though he does lurk 4chan). I think if he was an otaku, our relationship would be really strange. I have otaku friends who date other otaku, and their relationships always end up turning into "I'm a bigger nerd than you"/"My anime are better than your anime" thing, where it's more a comparison/competition of interests rather than an actual romantic attraction.

But then again, my opinion probably doesn't count for much here, because, like I said, I'm not an otaku. But I can understand why otaku would want to meet/date other otaku. =P And plenty of anime geeks DO have successful relationships with other people like them.

As far as the making-out thing goes, I saw plenty of it in really random places last year, particularly when it was dark outside. And that was just in the convention center...God only knows what was going on in some of the hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

lol the shyness level in such a panel would be really high. I guess thats why people choose the rave...its dark so no one can see them.

You can find friendships at con that can turn into love but I dont think you can find love at con. It takes time to fall in love and 3 or 4 days is not a lot of time :rolleyes:

I dont know...if the people from eHarmony can fall in love off the first meeting since they have that so called deep compatibility then at Otakon it should be like no time at all. lol joking....or am I ????

I found love at Katsucon.. does that count? >>;

Hmm, finding love at any con I think is pretty easy, provided you know what love is. Then again, I guess we all have different views of what love is to us. Anyway, if you look hard enough amongst the 20,000+ people that attend Otakon it's not really impossible to find someone you could take a liking to. Everyone's there for the same things, so finding someone who doesn't have something in common with you would be pretty tough. Keep in mind though, not everyone's there to find a soulmate. :rolleyes:

I honestly think it's more random then anything else... sure it could happen but don't expect it too. Normally when I go to the cons I just try to find some friends at events and all... never more fun then making a friend while waiting in line for the dealer's room to open. Course alot of times in the past I would do that but never get any contact information from people I met... only recently have I done that (made a few friends that way) course sometimes they never contact me back afterwords.

One problem I have with finding love at Otakon is the long distance relastionship some can bring since alot of people fly in or are very far away. I had a long distance relastionship once and I will NEVER do it again. However, never say never as I always say.

Like in any situation where you wish to attract someone, going to Otakon with the intention of finding love will only lead you to failure since you'll try to hard to do so.

Just go to the con, have fun make some friends and maybe one will turn out to be that special someone. You shouldn't try and turn otakon into a dating service...

I think avidly searching for love at Otakon wouldn't bode well for any brave soul. Not saying that it's impossible, but ya gotta think. Are you paying the registration to have fun or find a new possible boyfriend/girlfriend? If you happen to run into someone you like, that's cool. Go for it. But, I think your money will be best spent having fun and not thinking about it.

Heck, I've witnessed relationships crumble at cons way too many times to search for love at one. I mean sure, the problems could have started WAY before the con, but still. Red warning signals still go off in my head about it.

But, if you've got your heart set on finding that perfect person at the con, I wish you all the luck in the world. But then again, luck is simply the residue of preparation and skill.

So, stay sharp, be ready for anything, and don't forget to enjoy the con itself.

I've dated inside of the convention community before, though neither of those breakups involved fandom. I have ridiculously high standards now, though, thanks to those relationships. ;-;

Edited by unyuu
I've dated inside of the convention community before, though neither of those breakups involved fandom. I have ridiculously high standards now, though, thanks to those relationships. ;-;

ooh details.... If you don't mind.

I personally wouldn't want to date a fanboy.... I prefer a guy thats just open-minded about anime fandom, he doesnt have to be into it himself. being an otaku myself I would imagine it would be kinda hard to date another otaku. Like, you might beg your BF to take you out on a date to a resturant. that might cost $50 for 2 people...... but he's thinking $50 can buy me 5 manga vols or 2 DVDs :) Then you would have to beg him to wear something nice since he'll wanna wear his favorite Cowboy Bebop Tshirt...... the one thats faded with holes......

Im not speaking from experience, these are just examples :(

that's quite sad....... I feel sorry for fanboys.

It could be that we are being to unrealistic in what we want. Fangirls aren't going to find a bishounen as cute as Yagami Light and fanboys aren't going to find a girl as cute as Rikku.

Edited by SailorV

Ok, in all seriousness though, it's not true or fair to assume looking for love at Otakon is fruitless because expectations are too high. I saw some very good looking individuals at Otakon that I might find myself checking out outside the con. I also have to say I saw good looking members of the female persuasion too, so if we must think about looks FIRST, that's not a fair statement to make. Me, I'm cuter in the "awww how adorable!" sense. ^^

Anyway, I'm sure some otaku couples might get into arguments about what anime is better etc etc but I would guess those people are just competitive about such things by nature. I wish my guy liked even one series. He's at least open-minded about watching it, say, when I have Adult Swim on (I think I'm really close to getting him to admit he likes Ghost in the Shell: SAC!) but while we're both dorks, we're just different types of dork. I wouldn't mind dating another anime fan. Maybe not an "otaku" persay 'cause although I'm a HUGE anime fan, I wouldn't say I have the obsessive quality about it.

So I think if people are open-minded and have realistic expectations, that's all it takes to find someone special and I could totally see it happening ^^

well I don't know who kept classifying it as a singles meetup as it wasn't that...the "singles" meet up was supposed to happen on saturday but that never happened.

If you go looking to a con to score, then your probably not gonna get lucky.

I've always gone looking to have fun and make new friends; If your lucky enough to meet someone there that you gain a connection with, then that's a wonderful thing.

I've never actually gone to a con looking for love, but love has taken me to a con... The only two guys that I've dated seriously have been into the con scene.

:) The first one took me to my first Otakon, and that got me more into anime and stuff, and that's what brought me together with my circle of friends now, and from there I met the guy that I'm dating now. This coming Otakon will be our second one together... wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

• 4 weeks later...

I've never looked for love at Otakon though I was trying to help my friend look for a nice girl at another con. I really didn't have to help him, as there were actually quite a few girls giving him the opportunity to initiate a conversation, but he was too scared to do anything ^_^

I've never looked for love at Otakon though I was trying to help my friend look for a nice girl at another con. I really didn't have to help him, as there were actually quite a few girls giving him the opportunity to initiate a conversation, but he was too scared to do anything ^_^

I found somebody last year to hang around with, deep conversation with, hug with, touch with, etc. etc... if it happens it happens. I go to Otakon to meet new PEOPLE, not nessesarily potential loved ones. This year I have a girlfriend that "couldn't be less interested in asian culture" so obviously I'm not taking her along, which she is fine with. Obviously I won't be open for match-making.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never looked for love at Otakon though I was trying to help my friend look for a nice girl at another con. I really didn't have to help him, as there were actually quite a few girls giving him the opportunity to initiate a conversation, but he was too scared to do anything B)

**singing** Looking for love in all the wrong places, looking for love!!

Now the Buckwheat version:

"OOKIN PO NUB IN AH DAH ONG PACES, OOKIN PO NUB!" -- SNL with Eddie Murphy

**lol**

Sorry, it was too dang tempting to post this!!

In all seriousness I don't go to any con looking for someone. If I do meet someone and things click then so be it. But a con is not the place to be looking love. Particularly an anime con. **cringe**