Finding love at Anime Conventions and in General

I didn't find love at a con. For me it was more like finally dating a best friend from high school. But my fiance and I were considering attending a good-sized anime con as part of our honeymoon. But there's nothing along the east coast that time of year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I actually sort of have a story that has to do with this.

When I was 14, during Otakon 2001, I was cosplaying as Utena. While there I ran into a very good looking Touga. I thought he was cute right off the bat, but I never got his contact information or anything. So I pined over his picture for a few months, and I then I ran into him again at Katsucon 2002, again, I was Utena and he was Touga. So we hit it off, and dated for a little bit after I turned 15. Then he dumped me on LJ.

Then when I was 16 I met the man I'm still with today (5 1/2 years!) Before we met he never heard of anime/manga, never liked it, never went to cons, ect. He still doesn't like it, but he always goes to cons with me, and honestly I'm over-joyed that we don't have that in common. I don't think cons are a great place to find your one and only, but sometimes people do, and if they do, thats wonderful! Lord knows I've met plenty of friends through cons!

Finding love at a con is highly possible.

But I think some people are way too picky/scared/shy.

Many otaku, are obsessed with finding an Asian boyfriend/girlfriend. I personally don't have a preference -- however my past 3 girlfriends have been Asian, haha :angry:

Many otaku, are obsessed with finding an Asian boyfriend/girlfriend. I personally don't have a preference -- however my past 3 girlfriends have been Asian, haha :angry:

that mentality lived in my mind for about a week when i was in 9th grade, then it pretty much dropped when i figured im stabbing myself in the leg if i keep up with it

I tend to find Asians more attractive than those of my own race (white). But I don't limit myself to them. In fact, I never looked for a specific race anyway. I also generally find Asian and black babies to be cuter than white babies. *shrug* Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

But as it turns out, my boyfriend is Asian. Lol.

I've never really looked for love at a convention, but if you meet the right person and something just clicks, then hey, congrats.

It really doesnt matter where you meet them though, or what race you are for that matter. If you have a connection of some kind, and you like each other then that's great!

It really doesnt matter where you meet them though, or what race you are for that matter. If you have a connection of some kind, and you like each other then that's great!

Exactly. Wish my bf's mom would realize that. But I lose points with her just because I'm white. x.x

i didnt find my love AT otakon but i found him BECAUSE of otakon, it was last year before otaon and i had my myspace name as "160 days before otakon" so i get a message one day from a guy that says hes going to otakon too we talk etc i find out he goes to my skool and we meet in person becuase of the akwardness the only thing we could talk about was otakon lol and relationship progressed and weve been together since then :) having 2 otakus isnt bad for a relationship, they say opposites attract but i like having someone i can relate to lol

Hmmm I met some cool friends at the cons! That's why I love them, I find some of the coolest, warm hearted people at the cons.

But as for a bf, not yet! i fell for this 1 cosplayer but I found out it was a girl. So that ended that relationship.

Hmmm I met some cool friends at the cons! That's why I love them, I find some of the coolest, warm hearted people at the cons.

But as for a bf, not yet! i fell for this 1 cosplayer but I found out it was a girl. So that ended that relationship.

>_> hey man some girls do a great job looking like a hot,sexy, blue eyed dude.

While some men make beautiful girls.

But as for love , it can happen. Look at the manga called Dramacon.

Aww I believe you can find love at these cons! lol

I believe in love! I know someday I will find my own, kappa mikey or danny phantom. lol

Firt try to at least be more open & talk to others. :-)

its possible, but with the danger of being called a creep, you have a better chance finding love at a con while your NOT looking.

there was an singles meetup last year, consisted of 20 guys and two girls :)

I went to two cons before and never found anyone... but then again I am quite shy in person, unless I'm with some of my friends that I've known for a while. I tend to open up a bit. But hey, it works when you're cosplaying shy characters...

My friend, on the otherhand, has had relationships with people that went to Otakon. (I wish I was that lucky) XD

this actually surprise me that noone has found love there,

i mean everyone is nice to everyone and u have so much in comon,

its not easy to find people that love anime and games and stuff but otakon is the place!! and yet noone can find anyone there??

we should set up another singles meeting there ^_^

this actually surprise me that noone has found love there,

i mean everyone is nice to everyone and u have so much in comon,

its not easy to find people that love anime and games and stuff but otakon is the place!! and yet noone can find anyone there??

we should set up another singles meeting there ^_^

i mean everyone is nice to everyone
Edited by .Schala.

Personally...when I go to Otakon...I usually get ignored by nearly everyone...except the people over at the gaming room. Which are mostly guys. Or well endowed women with boyfriends.

I think I gave up looking for a girlfriend or even a girl buddy a long time ago at the con...for one thing it's hard to keep up a long distance relationship when I'm working at my office job like crazy...for another...the girls that do usually talk to me are already taken. So in the end it's pretty counterproductive. (It FEELS that way). Those who are not taken...well...talking to any of the females...in America IMO...is quite difficult. Don't know why, just is.

In the end, I end up exploiring Otakon all by myself...doing random things and buying stuff...but not really meeting anyone new. Which hopefully will change this year. Or else this will be my last Otakon, I guess...

<Meet people at Otakon? or meet people over at New Yoek City?> hmm.

I actually know some people who have found love at cons.. which I think is weird since you only get to know that person for like 3 days... too bad none of those relationships lasted =p

however if you can't find love.. I know the people in the rave got some booty :rolleyes:

I think I gave up looking for a girlfriend or even a girl buddy a long time ago at the con...for one thing it's hard to keep up a long distance relationship when I'm working at my office job like crazy...for another...the girls that do usually talk to me are already taken. So in the end it's pretty counterproductive. (It FEELS that way). Those who are not taken...well...talking to any of the females...in America IMO...is quite difficult. Don't know why, just is.

OB's not that bad, once you get a chance to get to know the people and all. It's just hard to break into the crowd in forums in a month of free membership unless you're very enigmatic. Or lucked out and got on the beta test back when and have a founding member account. hah.

While I haven't really met people at Otakon (which i'mma have to suck up this year and do, else I'mma be bored trying to wander around finding stuff to do), I've met people at other conventions that may not have dated, but I absolutely adore. And I take that back. There's 1 person that I met at Otakon that I do absolutely adore. hah. I think going without expectation is always the best recipe for success. Then you act like yourself, all that junk. (of course, if your natural self is kinda obnoxious, eh. That might not really work at all.) :rolleyes:

Why not just come to Otakon for fun? There's so much to do around the Inner Harbor - like paddleboating. It's only now that I'm bringing my son with me because he likes anime and he's at that stage in which he can really enjoy it (unlike his younger years when he had to just be at Otachan). Most of the time, I'd go to the con by myself, and if I don't find anything interesting, I just go around the Inner Harbor, Barnes and Noble, etc.

You can find it there or you can do what I did and lose it there haha. my ex and I split that week and completely learned to loathe eachother while at Otakon last year haha.

Is it possible to find that special someone at Otakon - or any anime convention?

As otaku we want to find a significant other that'll understand our otaku-ness - since the average person will find it to be quite odd. So the obvious solution is to look towards our anime clubs and cons. Some people are sucessful - and some aren't. Some cons have dating games and events centered around bring singles together. Otakon doesn't have that - but there IS the rave..... and you do see people making out in the corner ^_^

There's a great manga, Dramacon, that shows how a romance can develop at a con and lead into a great relationship. Is this realistic. Have YOU found love at Otakon? And if so, what are some tips/advice for someone who is eagerly looking [i am not refering to me, I have a BF lol :D]

It would a be dream come true to find someone in such a setting. I second the motion for a singles meetup.

And I guarentee all guys would be there (maybe one girl....who would probably be overwhelmed by all the guys)

But if you meet someone you click with and things go that way, then good for you. It does happen to some people, but I wouldn't go to the con looking for love.

Edited by Shiro420

I didn't find love at Otakon (well I wasn't look for it anyway), but I did find a lot of great people who I've made friends with through staffing. I mean, ideally in a perfect Dramacon world we'll meet a soulmate at a con, but the big thing is - Don't try to force it to happen or like make it your whole con objective. Have fun there, enjoy all there is to do (I mean it's Otakon!), and if you don't meet someone do not let it get you down. Be yourself and don't despair if you don't make a connection. If anything, you can always make new friends/meet new people to keep in touch with.

Though do tread with caution because you never know if someone you meet is totally okay or not. And I totally sound like a parent. ^_^

There's some old addage or whatever that my friends used to tell: It always happens when you're not looking for it.

Anyway, my point is - Don't make looking for love the whole reason for being at Otakon. There is so much happening and so much to do and see and enjoy to focus on that one thing. And if it doesn't happen do you want to spend the rest of the con feeling down?

I think one of the problems in general with this love thing...even with the friendship thing...is that...people are already coming in with their own groups and "clicks" to enjoy the con. They would wanna spend time with their current friends, not get to know new ones.

Depends on the people, I myself am an Otaku and date an Otaku, have been for 3 years now, but since she lives with crazy parents we don't get much time together, the fifty dollars for a date is always worth more than the 2 DVD's...

I've been told several things about finding people at the Convention,

The Laws of the Convention Dating Scene:

Law One is don't look for one, because it'll consume your entire convention, I know four people who spent their entire convention looking for someone else to spend it with, and ended up missing everything they wanted to do, such as shopping or panels.

Law Two, is don't be the creepy stalker dude, here's the double standard we guys have to deal with, girls can find a group or guy and follow them around and its cool, the guy who follows a girl around is the creepy one. My group had to deal with this last year with the guy who thought he was flirting with someone in our group and decided to put four ping-pong balls in his mouth and spit them out at people... Although that's more socially awkward than stalker-ish, he did follow us for the first two days... His con-nickname soon became "Creepy Larry".

Law Three of Conventions: Anime Pickup lines aren't smooth... Telling them you've never seen a rule 34 of the characters she/he and you are cosplaying as, but would like to, is not a good way to hook up with someone... We tried it on last year as a joke and it doesn't go over well... at all...

Law four of Conventions: Chances are, you aren't going to find a tall, thin, good looking girl who is still single that will respond to compliments in the same way as those who aren't tall, thing, or exceptionally good looking, they hear it more and get numb to it. "Oh... thanks..." is usually the response. However, telling it to someone who isn't a 10 on "The Scale" as a few people i know call it, respond better... this is just a simple fact of life. Compliments and "hitting" on people (Note: I do not condone the use of the now banned Yaoi/Yuri paddles for this, save it for the bedroom or a canoe trip) works for those who don't hear it as often. Try it out. All women are 10's in their own way. Personally, I wouldn't date someone unless they could match me in intelligent conversation... screw looks. (Note, I'm an engineering student, it was hard for me too. =P)

Law Five of Conventions: Hard Gay will always attract more women then you will, don't take it personally... what do I mean by this? Women like guys who are outgoing and engaging, moreso than looks, Respect is also a big thing. SEI SEI SEI SEI!!! HOOOOOOOO!!! (Note: I'm a battlestar officer, not Hard Gay, but my respect for that cosplayer is huge...) (Also Note: I like notes)

This was co-written by a female Otaku and myself, after a few conversations. Please add more if you so feel... Hope its helpful.

Law Five of Conventions: Hard Gay will always attract more women then you will, don't take it personally... what do I mean by this? Women like guys who are outgoing and engaging, moreso than looks, Respect is also a big thing. SEI SEI SEI SEI!!! HOOOOOOOO!!! (Note: I'm a battlestar officer, not Hard Gay, but my respect for that cosplayer is huge...) (Also Note: I like notes)

This was co-written by a female Otaku and myself, after a few conversations. Please add more if you so feel... Hope its helpful.

hard gay also attracts the guys with his SEI! never go against the SEI!

Hil-freaking-arious. Really.

I think the lesson we should be taking away from this fellas, is that women/girls/females don't go to cons *looking* for guys. Except for the two maybe that Eva drags along to these meet ups. :unsure: Should a woman come within 5 feet of you and glance in your direction, it doesn't mean she's.. hrm.. how to put it.. ready to go. She's just looking at you. You can take that as a window to say hey there, hi, whatevs, but if you opt for the costume compliment, when she says "Erm. Thanks.", it's not the point to feel like you should pass some sort of judgment on her because she wasn't gushing at your compliment, nor is it a time to get more specific about how her cosplay fits.

"Is it possible to find that special someone at Otakon - or any anime convention?"

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least in my case, xD. I remember that when I was younger, my friend wished that she had a boyfriend to do cosplays with, and I kind of felt that way too. Now that I'm older, and know more about relationships, and myself... I want nothing of the sort, lol. EVen though I love anime and cosplaying, that is something special that I share with my friends, and if I actually one day do find someone special that is crazy enough to like me, well, I honestly don't want them to be into that kind of thing. I'm one of those people that like to keep their friends and lover balanced. I would never want a boyfriend that was into those things and came with us so he consumed all of my time and I didn't get to spend it with my friends.

But answering your question in general, sure it's possible. But unless you live near each other and meet a few times, it's not nearly as probable.

Hil-freaking-arious. Really.

I think the lesson we should be taking away from this fellas, is that women/girls/females don't go to cons *looking* for guys. Except for the two maybe that Eva drags along to these meet ups. :D Should a woman come within 5 feet of you and glance in your direction, it doesn't mean she's.. hrm.. how to put it.. ready to go. She's just looking at you. You can take that as a window to say hey there, hi, whatevs, but if you opt for the costume compliment, when she says "Erm. Thanks.", it's not the point to feel like you should pass some sort of judgment on her because she wasn't gushing at your compliment, nor is it a time to get more specific about how her cosplay fits.

Now if she smiles at you, begins following you around, and flings compliments at you throughout the weekend...you've found your Stalker Sarah :wink: lol

Any woman will give any man a chance really....it depends on how you hold yourself....confidence, good hygiene, and not staring at their breasts is always a good start.

Being depressed all the time will really down your chances of meeting a girl (much less new friends)

Most girls (check that, most, not all) like things to move at a slow pace....trying to do things too fast will only push them away, and (as my friend from hs learned the hard way) you can't smother them.

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least in my case, xD. I remember that when I was younger, my friend wished that she had a boyfriend to do cosplays with, and I kind of felt that way too. Now that I'm older, and know more about relationships, and myself... I want nothing of the sort, lol. EVen though I love anime and cosplaying, that is something special that I share with my friends, and if I actually one day do find someone special that is crazy enough to like me, well, I honestly don't want them to be into that kind of thing. I'm one of those people that like to keep their friends and lover balanced. I would never want a boyfriend that was into those things and came with us so he consumed all of my time and I didn't get to spend it with my friends.

I never said I wanted to keep them seperated; I just wanted to balance my time between them. I don't know about you, but I have MANY other hobbies than anime and cosplay... Of course I want things in common with my lover. I don't need some stranger that knows nothing about me attempting to give me relationship advice. Thank you, and have a nice day <3

Now if she smiles at you, begins following you around, and flings compliments at you throughout the weekend...you've found your Stalker Sarah :wink: lol

Any woman will give any man a chance really....it depends on how you hold yourself....confidence, good hygiene, and not staring at their breasts is always a good start.

Being depressed all the time will really down your chances of meeting a girl (much less new friends)

Most girls (check that, most, not all) like things to move at a slow pace....trying to do things too fast will only push them away, and (as my friend from hs learned the hard way) you can't smother them.