• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hotel fee for those who don't split a room is pretty high. I spent about 1500 last year, but most of that was hotel (about 1300). Parking, food, merch, my con membership itsself. I was 'prepared' for more, but there's rarely any reason I spend much more than I did in the dealers room or on food. If I saw that one thing that cost an arm and a leg that I just had to have though...

Ive never in my life spent THAT much on a hotel room anywhere in the world. I personally would want to spend as little as possible on a hotel since I am spending 5% of my time in that hotel room anyway. and Im sure you can find a last minute congoer that will wanna split a room with you. Out of the 3 times Ive gone to otakon ive paid less than $100 on my room because I am always spliting it with several people, and we bring sleeping bags and such.

man, I just cant imagine spending over a thousand on a hotel room in BALTIMORE of all places........

If you're staying for three or four nights, it's not unheard of. If your room is $250/night, and you're staying Thursday night - Sunday night, that's $1000 right there. Add in the taxes and other miscellaneous charges (room service, parking, etc) and it adds up very quickly. Most people combat this by staying Thurs-Sat nights, or sometimes even just Fri-Sat. However, if you want to stick around and see the sights (there are some nice ones in Baltimore, if you know where to look), tacking on an extra night is a great way to do it. (Plus, it helps combat con-fatigue!)

I guess when I think of budget, I don't include the room and food 'cause those are just necessary things I can't avoid hehehe...come to think of it, I'm not positive HOW much I spent at Otakon last year...maybe $600ish....

I'm going to bring a lot this year 'cause I do buy a lot....I live in an anime wasteland so I gotta stock up on the good stuff when I can. I'm not much for buying over the internet, I wanna hold and look at what I'm buying so the Dealer's Room is awesome for me. Plus, there are a lot of things like graphic design t-shirts and hats that I'd never stumble across on the internet that I found.

Besides that, I never had anything in mind in particular. Maybe I want things from a specific series, but other than DVDs/CDs/manga I really never know what I want until I see it, so having a lot of money for the Dealer Room is definitely a good thing for someone like me. I think I'll probably bring something around the ballpark of $1,500-$2,000 but I know I won't spend half of it unless I see something major I just gotta have.

I determine my spending money (dealers room, art, etc) by the amount of change and bottle deposits I have saved over the past year (last yeas was $165, this year will be more) and whether I win our IRC channel's Thursday night poker game (which I did win last year, giving me an absurd $320 in all for merchandise).

If you're staying for three or four nights, it's not unheard of. If your room is $250/night, and you're staying Thursday night - Sunday night, that's $1000 right there. Add in the taxes and other miscellaneous charges (room service, parking, etc) and it adds up very quickly. Most people combat this by staying Thurs-Sat nights, or sometimes even just Fri-Sat. However, if you want to stick around and see the sights (there are some nice ones in Baltimore, if you know where to look), tacking on an extra night is a great way to do it. (Plus, it helps combat con-fatigue!)

Oh ok, I didnt consider that some people stayed 4 nights. I guess that makes some sense if you're flying in from across the country or from another country. Im from Washington, DC so Ive already seen Baltimore's sights 100s of times ^_^

Personally I'm only staying 3 nights (Th-Sa) but I missed con rates last year (so approximately $390 per night if i remember correctly). I'll be under $900 (on the room - with the con rate) this year and have a second bed in the room that I've offered up to 2 people (no takers yet - kinda feel weird even offering). It's really not about the money.

I don't feel like walking any farther in the Baltimore heat than I have to

I spend almost every available minute in the convention center

I only sleep about 4 hours a night, so I want a comfortable bed to sleep on in a quiet hotel

... so I stay at the Sheraton Inner Harbor. I shudder at the mere thought of trying to get away with my schedule AND sharing a room with enough people to get away with spending $100 on a room for the entire weekend. I was fortunate to get some extra work one day about a week before con last year that covered the bulk of my expenses. I need to take a serious look at some Funimation stuff that I've been missing out on, so I'll probably end up around there again this year.
That Sheraton hotel will eat into your bank account.

I steer clear of the Sheraton :angry:

I wonder if the new convention hotel will be resonably priced or $300+ per night. i hope not.

wait, what do you mean by that? i hope you're talkin about the big expensive sheraton right next to the BCC....

'cause i'm planning on staying at the one a couple blocks away, 'cause it was cheap, and i hope it stays that way...

I'm budgeting for 3k cash in addition to my credit card........so i should be good to buy whatever i like and eat like a Persian emperor, my friends that are coming are looking to bring 2k+ each.

its gonna be fun yo!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest immorrel

I love being 15 minutes for the convention center. I just have to worry about paying for parking and the rest of my money can go to what is really important.

I've always taken anywhere between $1,000-$1,500 dollars since 2004. At my very first convention (Otakon 2003) I had about $150 dollars and was essentially by myself. I didn't eat while I was there and commuted with my dad all three days. I went into the dealer's room and was easily overwhelmed, since then I had vowed to always take a good amount of money with me. This year it looks like I'll be able to take about $1,500, so same as usual. I'm not exactly sure of the hotel costs as I haven't gotten a final count of who will be in the room, and for food I usually spend about $100-$120 for Thursday-Sunday. I estimate I'll have about $1,200 to spend in the dealer's room this year. Unlike other years I don't necessarily think I will spend it all, but it's there if I need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I do budget myself, but I usually spend all the money I bring! After paying for hotel, gas, and parking (around $200, usually less), I like to have $500 I can blow on the dealers room, artists alley, and of couse a couple good meals!

Basically, I eat at the food court you can walk to from the BCC skywalk for lunch Friday and Saturday. So that's only like $6-$7 for lunch each day. Then, for dinner we usually do two nice restaurants (Thursday night and Sunday afternoon), and one night of going out for a few drinks (usually Saturday, cause we ditch the rave). So there goes around $150 on food, leaving me with $350 to buy all the manga, plushies, toys, dj's I want. ^^

So, if you can save up, you can have fun, eat well, buy everything, see everything, and party! :o

I don't think i'll be able to/should spend a lot. I'm already pressed for money as it is (since no one will hire me). If i get money, i will definitely save it for Otakon. But i'm only going to buy things i really, really want.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning on $250 for spending, and about $100 for my costume at Otakon. My birthday is July 12, so my grandma (who is awesome) is buying me my pre-reg for my birthday, and I live 30 minutes from the BCC, so I'm not spending money on a hotel, just taking public transit in. I'll eat breakfast/dinner at home, and hit up some cheap fast food for lunch. So I'm planning $10 for 3 days of transport, $25 for 3 days of food, which leaves $215 for the dealers room and artists alley. I don't think I'll even spend the $215, because I don't ever really find much aside from little knick-knacks and the such I want in the dealers room, but I want to be able to get whatever I want -_-

Since my hotel room will be paid for ahead of time and the majority of food will be eaten there (yay for kitchenettes!) I'm thinking that $600 - $800 should be enough to cover my planned spending and random splurges for this Otakon. I usually only bring $200 or so but since I'm working two jobs now, bills are caught up, so my stimulus check will be used for con.... which is cool since it's scheduled to be delivered just before Otakon. -_-

Edited by Ultimecia029

My 1st Otakon in '01 I spent about $600 for everything. (Hotel, food, D.R., etc) Ever since I seem to be spending less & less. LoL Since I started Gofering for the con, my con expenses have been cut in half for the most part. I've spent an average of about $2-250 for Otakon the past few years & I doubt that's going to change this year really. My friends usually hate me for this too.

Last year I spent at least about $85 getting there by Amtrak, (got a ride back) $75 on food & drinks, $27 for a last minute rock concert at the First Mariner Saturday night, & about $60 in the D.R. About $250 dollars...

I can't say I've ever really budgeted for Otakon, only in '04 did I truly go down broke, (I think I had all of $75 in my pocket) all the other years I've had no problem overspending. Then again I'm naturally thrifty. I don't like spending alot of money unless it's something I absolutely have to have, otherwise I usually talk myself out of buying it.

Wow, I feel poor as heck after reading all of these posts...

Here's my ENTIRE budget for Otakon.

$55 - Pre-reg... already spent.

$91 - Hotel split by two other people, already spent.

$50 - Gas from PA, split by two other people, this is my share.

$45 - Food for 3 days... $15 a day, I'm gonna nosh mostly on stuff I bring and the hotel breakfast.

$100 - Swag fund... That's my ENTIRE free spending cash limit, and some of that's gonna be light rail tickets, cab fare, etc.

So... out of everything... I still have $120 to raise... and I'm scared I won't be able to.

I'm a poor Otaku.

*sob*

$45 - Food for 3 days... $15 a day, I'm gonna nosh mostly on stuff I bring and the hotel breakfast.

$100 - Swag fund... That's my ENTIRE free spending cash limit, and some of that's gonna be light rail tickets, cab fare, etc.

So... out of everything... I still have $120 to raise... and I'm scared I won't be able to.

I'm a poor Otaku.

*sob*

Back in the days before I became staff, I'd drive in, so my budget consisted of cheap parking ($15-20 per day), plus a hearty meal ($15-20), and I'd bring snacks and such -- worked out to about $60 per day. I used to set a hard limit for myself -- and generally still do -- of $200 in "mad money".

Now I'm staff, I don't have to worry about a room or food, so the only budget I bring is for purchases in DR or Alley; my challenge these days is actually finding the time to go shopping!

Hey everyone!

I'm a poor Otaku.

*sob*

Yeah, your also not the only who is trying to be frugal this year with the economy and all. My budget of $350 covers a hotel room walking distance from BBC(splitting with 4 other people), food(cheap ramen bought from the store and the occassional eating out near the harbor), pre-reg discount of $55 and about $170 to spend in dealers room. Since I live near DC I don't have to worry too much about travel costs.

Back in the days before I became staff, I'd drive in, so my budget consisted of cheap parking ($15-20 per day), plus a hearty meal ($15-20), and I'd bring snacks and such -- worked out to about $60 per day. I used to set a hard limit for myself -- and generally still do -- of $200 in "mad money".

Now I'm staff, I don't have to worry about a room or food, so the only budget I bring is for purchases in DR or Alley; my challenge these days is actually finding the time to go shopping!

That's soooo cool that you don't have to worry about room or food anymore. I guess a great benefit through years of hard work! But then again, it must suck to be too busy to go to the dealer's room and artist alley.

Oh budgeting I never follow an exact budget because that is impossible but I try to figure out an estimation on how much I will be spending. This is everything not counting the registration fee which is paid for before the convention

Hotel- $300 in total for two nights (might be lower if I get roommates)

Travel- About $100 for Amtrak

So $400 in definite costs

The only thing left is food and dealer room. I've found that you can eat very cheaply at Otakon. There is a food court at the mall and cheap places to eat all around the convention center. I would say at most $50 for the whole trip.

The Dealer Room is another story. Every year I go I tend to spend less and less in the dealer room because they have less that I want. I think the most I ever spent was $200 so I expect that to be my cap. But I don't actually think I will spend that much.

So in total the MAX I would probably spend at Otakon is $650 which is still a lot but not bad for a weekend trip. And I actually think it will end up being more like $500.

Edited by Kirarakim
  • 2 weeks later...

I generally limit myself to about $600-$700. This includes everything. Gas, hotel, food, parking, and dealers room. However, 3 friends and I split room, and we stay outside of the city and just drive in since the room rates outside the city are much cheaper, so after room and parking, it comes out to roughly $100 a person for thursday-sunday.

I don't normally have a real budget just no more than 600. The way it's looking this year though I will have a budget. I'll be stay and one of the BWI airports instead of the Inner Harbor. :)

I'm spending $1000 on the hotel already. I plan on buying food here at home so we don't have to go out and eat during the con. too expensive. I plan to spend at least $200 on the dealer's room also...

Otakon! Crack is cheaper.

I don't normally have a real budget just no more than 600. The way it's looking this year though I will have a budget. I'll be stay and one of the BWI airports instead of the Inner Harbor. :mellow:
  • 1 month later...

Well, this year I'm gonna try to limit myself to only $200 in the dealers room and $50 in artist alley. I can see myself possibly spending maybe $50 more in each place, but I really need to hold back if I can because I need to help pay for my college expenses. I don't really have a food budget, but I plan to limit myself to eating out to once a day, though I'll probably ending up doing it twice some days. The hotel fortunately will only cost me around $120 total.

So far for now I am planning on keeping it all around $500 for total weekend. Though I do get 3 checks prior to going I may be tempted to bring more.

well since i am planning on staying at a hotel thats about 100 dollars GONE. and i eat a lot so food is going to be in the 90's the art/dealers room also takes up alot of money so i will say my budget is.........

Champagons Budget: just about 362 dollars american

Guest RPGuy_AD

This time around, I have to itemize my convention costs (never a fun thing to do), so I've had to break down an approximately $800 budget. I'm splitting with two other people, so my costs aren't as high as they could be. The itemized list goes as follows (reciepts needed later on to back up calculations and settle costs with traveling companions):

-$170US: Room - Best Western Hotel & Conf. Center - AAA membership cuts $20/night off of $190US

-$100US: Gasoline to Baltimore from RI, and vice versa- split between two trips. In the city, will use provided shuttle buses.

-$100US: Approximated cost for food at local restaurants. Snacks will be purchased at home

-$55 US: Convention Pre-Registration fee

-$20 US: Snacks, drinks, etc. from local Target - use employee discount (I have two jobs to get me through college. :) )

-$100US: Emergency reserve fund

Total cost: $545US

That'll leave me with about 255 for the dealer's room, artist's alley, and the like. :)

I've learned the hard way (flat tire on the way to Anime Boston 2K4) that crap happens, so the emergency buffer is an absolute must. x_O Especially when you're driving 400 miles to a convention.

food...................................$60

dealer's room......................$100

artist's alley........................$100

emergency.........................$100

total budget........................$360

Man everyones bringing a lot of money ;__;

I'm bringing 100 dollars in all since I live right next to otakon well not right next but watever. xD

But my cosplay cost 110 dollars.

100 dollars for food and dealers room .___.;;

I think I'm gonna ask for more...

Edited by MilkyTea

Hotel: $175.00 This is split between four people and its for thursday-sunday. Cheapest I've spent on a hotel so far.

Otakon Registration: $65.00 because I was last minute.

Food: $60.00 or so. We generally only eat a good meal on thursday, and the rest of the weekend eat out of whatever we brought down, but dinner during the con is usually fast food or cheap places.

DR/AA: $300.00+ Last year I brought about the same and left with almost half. <_< Although, in previous years I'd spent much more. Worse comes to worse, I'll hit a mac machine at some point.

Gas: $30.00 split between four people. Shouldn't be too bad, I hope.

I'm with the others on direct deposit, I'm just hoping my work finally gets it working.(I shouldn't complain, I've only been there two weeks, it takes a few weeks to set direct deposit up apparently). If not, I'll hopefully be able to snag my check early thursday morning and deposit it before I leave, here's hoping.

Gas to get down to Baltimore and back up to Maine: $250

Hotel for 4 nights, split 4 ways: $200 each with fees tax and parking

Just-missed-the-cutoff-pre-registration: $65

Food budget: $30 per diem

Snacks and Junk and Red Bull to keep the driver (me) awake and everyone alive: $40

Unwise Impulse Purchases in the Dealer's Room: $150

Total cost for me this year at Otakon: $825

Ouch. But SO worth it. <_<

There are some things money can't buy... for everything else, there's Otakon.

I'm just a poor college student (and so is everyone in my group), so we can't afford to spend too much.

Pre-Reg: $55

Hotel: ~$45 (We found a BWI hotel that's only $170 total for Friday and Sat, so split between 4 people it's really cheap).

Parking: ~$20/day for 3 days

Gas: estimating $250 for the whole trip split 4 ways. We'll have to drive all night/morning Friday to get to Baltimore Friday morning. NOT looking forward to that...but at least we'll be listening to JAM PROJECT songs in the car! Great chance to get everyone else familiar with some of their music.

Food: $10 total (I'm bringing all of my meals except for breakfast supplied by the inn and dinner Sunday night on the road)

So the necessary expenses only add up to $185. (Pretty cheap if you ask me!)

I'll probably bring another $300 or so to spend on swag. It's my first time at Otakon, but I've found from past cons that I tend to go a little merchandise crazy in the Dealer's Room. Luckily most of what I'm interested in (collectible items like cards, pencil boards, figures) aren't too expensive.

so far, free breakfast from hotel! YAH! which means FREE PART OF LUNCH!

:rolleyes:

hmm.... so about $60 or so for food then....

and, $412 for shopping so far!

YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

SHOPPING SHOPPING SHOPPING!

Free room.

^__^

Free ride.

(from friend)

Oh, and free 3 day pass!

YAHHHHH!

Pre-reg: $55

Hotel: $90 (The total price was split three ways)

Gas/Transportation: $50ish (We're driving in from Pennsylvania, so it may go up or down and includes cab fair/Lightrail)

Food: $60

DR/AA: $300

Total cost for this year: $555

It was more than previous years...but I actually have money to spend in the Dealer's Room and Artist Alley. In 05 and 06 I only had about $150 for swag...so this year I'm definately a happy little otaku ^___^

Well... already my costs are up around 1250.

Costumey clothing type things.... 540

Hotel.... 650 (which may be made up if I find some roommates)

And of course registration... 55.

For the convention... I have 500 dollars budgeted for the DR and AA... and another 170 for food, gas, and parking (though really... chances are the food money will go to the dealer's room). I'll probably end up spending more than that... (last year I spent close to 750 by Saturday night) and if i do... well... who needs books for college anyway?

Edited by lykopis783

Pre-reg + room= $150 thus far... Think i'll bring $200 with me. Maybe a bit more? (doesn't plan on eating; hehehe)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.