what you look forward to

What is the biggest thing you look forward to at otakon, the one thing you cant miss, example: rave, dealers room, masquerade......

mine is the masquerade and just meeting people while cosplaying "the experience"

I like the whole cosplay experience. last year was my first cosplay and I got hooked so I look forward to doing that again.

I missed the cosplay prop panel because it was at 9am - so i would love to go to any panel/workshop involving cosplay making

AMV contest (especially since I'm entering again, and hopefully this year I'll actually make it into the competition!)

Musical guest (well, if it's someone I like)

The LARP naturally.

Of course you would Pie ^_^

Myself, I'm looking forward to new panels. I liked the JPOP101 from last year and want to go out and see more. I also liked the cosplaying. Some good people out there. I just like taking pictures of people for my Otakon memory Photoalbum.

That and the Dealers Room. SPENDING SPREE!!!!

For me it would the musical acts and some of the voice actor panels. Also, love the people who coplay. I haven't gathered enough courage to cosplay myself yet, so admire those who do! They put so much work into their costumes and you never know what character you might run across in the elevator or just walking around the streets of the city.

Also, love the people who coplay. I haven't gathered enough courage to cosplay myself yet, so admire those who do! They put so much work into their costumes and you never know what character you might run across in the elevator or just walking around the streets of the city.

cosplay fun...a weekend out of town, dealers room and the amv contest. I wouldn't mind meeting some of the guests if there are any there I like too. :)

Cosplay and all the weird ppl! Half the fun is coming up with unique things ppl don't do or don't do often! We went as the cromartie crew! We had everyone except the gorrilla! (had a baby mechazawa paintcan purse x 2) People loved it and so did we! I hope to have as much fun as we did last year! 2008 is year five for me!

I hope they also get some GOOD stuff in the dealers room this year. I didn't see ANYTHING that screamed out to me last time. That never happens!

Cosplay and all the weird ppl! Half the fun is coming up with unique things ppl don't do or don't do often! We went as the cromartie crew! We had everyone except the gorrilla! (had a baby mechazawa paintcan purse x 2) People loved it and so did we! I hope to have as much fun as we did last year! 2008 is year five for me!

I hope they also get some GOOD stuff in the dealers room this year. I didn't see ANYTHING that screamed out to me last time. That never happens!

Thing is, some shows just don't get a lot of merchandise made, in terms of diversity and quantity.

Not a lot of official Slayers product out there, for example.

And a fair amount of character goods stuff is simply pricey. I bought my goddaughter an official Totoro for christmas; she has excellent taste for a 6-year-old. It ran about $30 via a direct importer from Japan; it would have cost me about the same anywhere in Japan for the real thing. Ditto for DVDs and CDs and such; you buy it from the source, in Japan, and you're paying 2500 yen for the CD and 4500 yen for the DVD -- roughly $22 and $41, give or take a few cents. We're used to paying $15-20, tops, in the US for those things and we simply won't buy enough of them to make it worthwhile for importers to grab them.

And retailers know you'll go online to shop for it anyway, so they tend to bring thigns to shows that they're pretty sure they won't have to ship back -- which is why you saw a ton of BLEACH and NARUTO stuff last year. Lugging this stuff to shows costs them money, too.

Sad fact is that the more you have, the less stuff you'll see for your favorite shows.

For me it would the musical acts and some of the voice actor panels. Also, love the people who coplay. I haven't gathered enough courage to cosplay myself yet, so admire those who do! They put so much work into their costumes and you never know what character you might run across in the elevator or just walking around the streets of the city.

the rave first and foremost....gotta dance and kill it in the circles...gaming comes second because you can always find good competition....3rd..just the atmosphere and realizing i can be complete nerd for 4 days :D...ahhhh yes.....4th...costumes - well, most of them, anyway..lmao. last but definitely not least, having tons and tons of fun w/ my ppl who i do not get to see often but we have a great time, and i realize the reason why i fell in love with the anime culture in the first place...

Edited by kiduprockstylist

I love the whole vibe the convention has, which is what I always look forward too the most. I also enjoy the dealers room, and the artists alley. But on top of that all, I can't wait to see some of my friends again!

Hanging out with my friends that are all rarely together anymore and a few ten thousand people that don't make me feel like I'm walking in a music video on BET/MTV. I feel like at Otakon everyone just acts like themselves as openly as possible and I just love it.

In the years I've been, I've only had one not-so-great encounter but even that was really minor (short female staff outside dealer's room last year who I guess was trying to sound very authoritative to make up for her small size but who I thought just came off as rude..). So it's just an environment I love to be in.

I did, however, consider the musical guest the pinnacle of my trip in years passed but nothing will ever beat L'arc en Ciel for me. So I'm satisfied for life.

Dude, can you say, 'Overly pumped for the Masquerade.'? xDD

I get excited every time I think about it, but that's pretty reasonable considering I constantly watch skits online.

I just wish I had a big group of cosplaying friends to do a skit with. ;_;

Also the AMV contest, taking pictures...I could go on. ^^;

I would have to say cosplaying. This is my very first time cosplaying and I'm nervous XD

I'm also looking forward to catching up with friends, the otacafe, artist alley and some panels that i hope are ninja related because =_= I missed last year's nin panel

I would have to say cosplaying. This is my very first time cosplaying and I'm nervous XD

I'm also looking forward to catching up with friends, the otacafe, artist alley and some panels that i hope are ninja related because =_= I missed last year's nin panel

Also try to be in a place where you can get the special picture magnet effect. Its when one person decides to take a picture of you then several other people who are near at the time start taking picture, and that lead on to some people who happen to be walking by then stop to take a picture of you.

Please, please make sure if you do this, though, that you do not stop in a crowded hallway or area and block traffic. There are several open places in the convention center (and outside) which are wonderful backdrops for all of your cosplay photos. :lol: If someone does try to stop you in a hallway, acknowledge them and direct them to someplace out of the way. (Note: 'out of the way' is not 'the side of the hall' :lol: )

Dealers room!!! I spend the majority of my time at Otakon in the Dealers room or the Artist Alley. Oh, and the musical acts can't forget them.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definetly say....everything. Goes from the cosplaying to the rave to the masqurade to the musical guest, panels,people,etc.......

Last yr was my first convention so i was quick to take in the knowledge. Now i will definetly see the new AMV's and hopefully participate in the DDR compition. There is gonna be more now since it will be 15th anniversary. I cant wait i wish it was the end of July soon.

I look forward to Cosplaying, but also seeing friends that I only see in person when we meet up for Otakon, As well as the road trip itself to Otakon always ends up being entertaining to the max. One year we ran into the Wiggles on the way home at a Burger King in NJ. Not even kidding have pictorial evidence. Hilarious. Generally the whole experience can pump me up all year.

Honestly, I love cosplaying and having my picture taken.

I just think it's so fun! ^_^

And seeing so many other cosplayers, I'm always amazed at how awesome some people are at making their costumes.

And of course I love getting to spend all my money on crazy stuff I don't need. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I guess my three favorite things would have to be...

I love being able to cosplay! When I was little, I'd always wish I was one character or another and it's like a dream come true being able to dress as my favorite characters all weekend. Plus, I'm pretty girly so I love dressing up anyway. <3

Another favorite part for me is the dealer's room. I live in such a small state, there really isn't much in the way of anime...ANYTHING around here. It's like stocking up for the year on DVDs, collectibles, clothes, dolls and action figures, whatever I can get my hands on! I spent a lot of my first convention, which was last year's Otakon :D in the dealer's room, I had to check out EVERYTHING!

Last, but probably most important is the sense of community amongst everyone!! I've been a dork and otaku pretty much my whole life, so even though I'm happy with the person I am and comfortable in my own skin, I can still feel like a bit of an outcast at times. But the first thing I realized when I got into the convention center was "Woah.....I feel like I'm home!" I felt so connected with everyone around me, it was a really great warm and fuzzy feeling :huh:

Oh and meeting Steve Blum and not only getting my picture taken with HIM but him having one of the Otakon staffers take a picture of us with HIS camera....amazing moment.

I mostly look forward to being with all the people that I don't ever see otherwise. I like being able to walk around in my little outfits and not come across as "that weird chick".

This year I'm excited about getting another goth loli dress to add to the collection I started last year.

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *excitement*

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.