Well I'm not really worried about Thursday but Friday morning I'll be up nice and early :) probably 3 hours before it starts :P

Thursday afternoon I arrive. I leave the convention center early on Thursday - around 11:30PM or so.

I arrive early on Friday (around 8:15AM) and leave at 3AM Saturday morning to sleep for a few hours before returning at 8:15AM. I leave again at 3AM Sunday morning for a few more hours of sleep, and return again at 8:15 before I leave (ahhh for a year) at 5PM or so.

I get about two hours total to see the con, heh. :)

I wake up whenever I damn well feel like waking up. LARP doesn't take people in to get their characters until later-ish, and play doesn't even begin until well after that. Most people don't make it to the LARP room on Saturday until around 10-11 so I'm good there anyway.

thurs. night I get there whenever I can - and that's usually because I have to work. but Friday, since I am coming in from DC that same morning, I'll get to the BCC by 10-11am. I should work on getting there earlier I guess :mellow:. it's the same for saturday because its hard waking up so early from the previous night

Lol...I remember years ago when I first started going to cons I would faithfully get up at get there soon as the con started and stay there till it closed, sleep like two hours, then wake up and do it again.

Now though...I still sleep about two hours but spend considerably more time just hanging out with my friends, since most of them I only see at Otakon.

TIME!!!!! one thing theres not enough of at otakon. What time do you wake up for otakon or come to thursday pre-reg so that you can have enough time to do everything u want to do ^_^

Official departure from work is 5-5:30 on Thursday but mostly depends on when my slug shows up (pity there are no HOV lanes between DC & Baltimore) so we can get up there, check in, and hit pre-reg/gofer-meet. First alarm Fri-Sun is in the 7:30-45 area after a nice long 5 hour rest.

I'll be on the road... Otakon cronie in tow at noon on thursday. Then a 3 hour ride to Baltimore, check in and probably be in line by 5. The rest of the days I'll probably be there early and stay until I can't walk anymore (Which isn't as long as it used to be. I hate getting old! :lol:). The rest will play out as it does...

Depends on circumstances. For 2007 I woke up at a decent time Thursday and headed to BWI to intercept a friend. Then I got to the BCC to cover the pre-reg line madness around 2 I think. Assuming the Otakon clock starts there, I was doing Ota-stuff right up to closing Sunday.

I try to get into Baltimore around lunch time on Thursday. I stay up until whenever Thursday night and then get up around 5:30 am or so Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. I usually go to bed around 2:30am, though some nights I stay up all night.

thurs: get my badge late evening...check into the hotel..chill w/ the boys..go to bed b4 3 am...

fri: haha, i learned my lesson the first couple of years, so i wake up somewhere around 11 am or noon..that way all the spots i wanna go to are open, and i have a decent amount of rest so i'm not laggin behind....

Edited by kiduprockstylist

Sad thing is...I've only been able to get to the Thursday Pre-Reg one time, and that was in the '04 Otakon. I'll try to be there on the Thursday before the evening rush starts so I can get in and get out! On con days, it's a 6 am wake-up time each day and since I'm close by, I can get there around 8 am. Because I'm not a night owl type of person, I leave between 9 and 10 pm Fri & Sat, and stay around until close on Sunday.

I mention this because last year I recall there were long lines Thursday as early as 11 am, and on Friday morning as early as 5 am.

best of luck for y'all out there!

As of last Otakon, the plan is to get to the harbor Thursday afternoon(2ish?) for hotel check in. I live a few miles outside of DC so the next few hours are spent waiting for out of town friends to arrive. Then hit up the reg line when the sun starts to go down cause there'll be almost no line by then.

The other days...waking up later and later each year. Now somewhere around 8-9am. Otakon has become more about hanging out in a comfortable (and abnormal) environment with similar crazies than rushing to do a bunch of stuff. After all, the years I'd walk in the door at open just led to hours of sitting around taking pictures until the "big rooms" opened up.

well for the actual con, you can plan around the events you want to attend. like, if something doesn't start til 2, come in at 12, unless you want to do some major photography. Time management depends on what you want to do while you're there ^_~

The one thing I know is that the con opens up at 9 am and closes at 1 or 2 am so Im normally at the con each morning 30 mintues to an hour after it opens up each morning. There something about being there so early that makes happy. Although none of the events started yet, but for me just being there makes me happy.

• 1 month later...

I'll come in Thursday afternoon around check- in time for the hotel, and get everything taken care of through the course of the evening. Most of the night is for hanging out with the people that I don't really get to see anymore and for getting too excited to even think about sleeping.

I'm sure I'll go to sleep late again, but since it's already the norm I'll be up early everyday, though not really moving around 'til the normal hours when everyone else is up.

Hmmm...I always end up waking up at 5AM, get ready, fall back asleep until 7 and usually run get there by 8 since I normally stop somewhere to load up on energy drinks and wander a bit.

On Thursday, I wake up early enough to get to the airport, usually around 3-4am, so I can be in Baltimore before 2pm (the drive to the airport is killer!), and the trend pretty much continues until Sunday. I like to get my hours in early in the morning, so I'm often at the BCC about half an hour before it opens to the public. Since I wear lolita, this means an hour prep time, then an extra hour for breakfast/meandering down to the doors (for those keeping track, this means I get up between 6-7am every day). By the time I get there, the lovely staffers have already done most of the prep, so I can get straight to work. Then I won't leave until either the doors close or I'm a frilly Dawn of the Dead extra, which ever comes first (as long as I'm not scheduled to work after I've become a zombie), usually around 1-2am.

The schedule differs on Sunday, when I'll usually sleep in 'till 8am, get to the BCC by around 9:30am, and stay for two or three hours before checking out at the earliest possible time and booking it to the airport. I usually don't get to actually retire for a good night's sleep until Sunday night, and I'll usually crash from around 10-11pm until almost noon the next day.

Still, I don't have my schedule planned this year, so I don't know when I'll be arriving/leaving, and I imagine it'll change a bit when I hammer that stuff out.

I would like to do something different this year - course that is totally dependent on how much $$$ I'll have by the summer. I've never actually done anything cool on Thursday nights except leave work early, drive up to Baltimore from Wash, dc, get my badge, and go home. :::yawn:::

If possible I would like to just take off Thursday and leave for Otakon then. Not stay an extra night but stay for the day and come back on Friday for check-in. My dream day would be to arrive on Thurs. in afternoon, eat lunch somewhere, take pics of cosplayers, wander arround inner harbor, get badge, eat dinner, wander, and go home. And in between all of this would be meeting people and hanging out, which happens a lot at cons. It's so cool to just hang out with people you don't know - but it doesn't matter that you dont know each other 'cause we both like anime ^_^

Ya, thats my dream day. Hopefully I can pull that off. [man, otakon is expensive.....]

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm...I always end up waking up at 5AM, get ready, fall back asleep until 7 and usually run get there by 8 since I normally stop somewhere to load up on energy drinks and wander a bit.

lol same here, i usually stop by the safeway to get all the red bull monster etc. that i need. its pretty entertaining to see the reaction of the people when ur in ur cosplay lol

Heh, since my con work is mostly off-site, I'm lucky if I make it to the convention center for an hour on either Friday or Saturday. I do get to sleep in until 7:30am or 8:00am, though. I make up for it by working until around 2:00 or 3:00am.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday morning we wake up at whatever time it takes us to hit the highway by 10 am. That's so we get into our hotel by 3 pm at the very, very latest, and have time to rest before picking up the badges and eating some Maryland Crab! :D

Sunday we usually leave around dinner time, eat somewhere in the Inner Harbor and then head the 3 or so hours it takes to get home. :)

Drive to the city on Thursday at 6pm to get in for prereg and this year is the first year we aren't in a hotel so I want to get to Otakon by 8am at the latest since I have an art table so I can get everything inside. I don't know when I will leave this year but last year I go sick so I didn't stay too long each day and went back to the hotel room to pass out in feverish sweats.

Well last yr we got to the convention center at 7pm on thursday. We got in and got our badges. Then went to friends house.

Friday We went at 7am and started to walk around and did the dealers room etc. Saturday and sunday not till noon. We just didnt feel like getin up early.

Now well be closer to the BCC and I'll have some freedom, maybe ill go early and hang out.

Do you always feel things that you enjoy go by fast? Otakon is definetly not long enough. I know about they cant do a 4 day con. I just feel the day (in my mind) should be longer just for otakon. When I get there thursday im excited then on sunday im sad because its over. Oh well!

Baltimore is a nice place early in the morning. Wake up early and find food before heading in as the doors open is how I've always done it.
Edited by Duelistbluerose

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.