• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping that the majority of the badges aren't from some crappy anime the industry is trying to push this year. I better not see Freedom or Witchblade :) [i'm just kidding]

But I think there should be a badge from each genre:

shounen fighting

shoujo/magical girl

mecha

yaoi/yuri/shounen ai

Horror

Sci-Fi

comedy

hentai

drama

.... this way there is something for everyone

ok I'm new this year, and was supposed to go last year but my question is...do we get to pick our badge O.o or is it w/e they give us?

I was slightly disappointed with the badge selection for Otakon 2007. I went with Eureka 7, since it was the only series that I had seen and enjoyed out of the bunch.

I have the same problem almost every year. Nothing I recognize. I'm crazy under-informed with the amount of anime I could be watching.

I ended up choosing (I think) Paprika last year, because my husband and I had just finished doing set and costumes for The Glass Menagerie at our local theater, and the set was a turning carousel. We had carousel horses on the brain!!

@ PartyVan: Yea, same here. I only knew the series of 2 of the badges, now I still only know 3, lol.

@ calculusman: Agreed.

But yes, I'm hoping for more badges I'll recognize the series of. i have expanded my knowledge of series since then so I hope for something!

• 2 weeks later...

I dont really care which designs they use, but please Otacorp, in the name of all that is good in the universe .... Print the tags on both sides !!!

This would stop almost all of the logjams at every doorway where people are asked to flip over their tag to show the printed side.

I dont really care which designs they use, but please Otacorp, in the name of all that is good in the universe .... Print the tags on both sides !!!

This would stop almost all of the logjams at every doorway where people are asked to flip over their tag to show the printed side.

Edited by syntaxerror37

I'll figure out who's in charge of ordering badges and bring this up to them, it'd solve a lot of headaches for the members and staffers.

Darker than Black

Death Note

Claymore

One Piece... have yet to see one

Super Smash Bros. Brawl... you know you wanna.

Edited by Mailbox

I'll figure out who's in charge of ordering badges and bring this up to them, it'd solve a lot of headaches for the members and staffers.

Actually, no -- it won't solve the problem, because it's not just the badge that needs to be visible: it's the holographic sticker as well. We're not putting those on both sides. Also, we use the back of the badge to write contact information on for kids, and we've talked about using it for other information from time to time, too.

When you're in the airport, you have to have your ID and ticket out and ready.

All that needs to happen is that people need to understand that -- like in most public buildings -- you need to be prepared to show your ID. You walk up with your badge easy to see, you get right on through. It's not like you don't understand you need to show it, so take a little initiative and be ready.

Actually, no -- it won't solve the problem, because it's not just the badge that needs to be visible: it's the holographic sticker as well. We're not putting those on both sides. Also, we use the back of the badge to write contact information on for kids, and we've talked about using it for other information from time to time, too.

When you're in the airport, you have to have your ID and ticket out and ready.

All that needs to happen is that people need to understand that -- like in most public buildings -- you need to be prepared to show your ID. You walk up with your badge easy to see, you get right on through. It's not like you don't understand you need to show it, so take a little initiative and be ready.

Thanks for putting some thought in this. I really don't want to discourage you from thinking up ways to do things better; that's VASTLY preferable to simply complaining about stuff.

However, you're suggesting that we change a number of things we *know* work quite well for the vast majority of our attendees and our staff; the beneficiaries of these changes would be people who can't manage to approach a door with their badge clearly visible, at the expense of everyone else. Well, them and the people you unfortunately got stuck behind who were trying to leave through the skywalk doors at lunchtime.

I'm here to tell you: those same clueless people will also put their badges in a pocket or hide them under their cosplay gear, and will have to dig for them anyway. That's a far bigger source of clogs. There is also a lot of variation in the speed with which the external door security folks can check badges. But the quantity and the timing and the other factors involved? These can't be solved by changing a badge.

I've been going to fan cons, academic and scientific conferences, trade shows, festivals, and all sorts of similar events for a solid 20 years now, and I'm here to tell you, they all require you to wear badges so that the badge can be seen. And producing an ID to access public buildings begins as early as middle school; it is simply something they'll have to get used to. You'd think that frequent business travelers would be wise enough to be rpepared this many years after 9/11. And yet, there is always a guy in front of me who hasn't managed to figure that out and I get the privilege of waiting for him.

We got through about ten *thousand* pre-reg pickups in a few hours on Thursday because we have got the management and setup of those lines down to a fine art that others simply have not. And switching to the current badge style and process was a big part of that. We got a lot of complaints about ditching our laminated badges, but eventually people realized that the lines moved MUCH faster, and we had fewer gofers with burnt fingers.

That doesn't mean we're not open to new things, but you have to think about the problems you'll create in trying to solve the problem at hand.

Case in point here: Every *second* matters because we have thousands of people waiting.

The cost of the stickers isn't the problem. It's the time it takes to apply them.

The cost of larger badges isn't the problem. It's the time it takes to fold them, and that still doesn't solve the verification problem.

But having said that, convention badge styles range in price by huge amounts, and at the quantities we need to buy them, it's going to matter if we jump by a a penny or two per badge.

So I suggest that you're looking at the wrong problem here. The problem is not that the badge has only one side. The problem is that the badge flips around.

The answer to that is to find a design that doesn't flip around so easily. Except the one we have now was picked at least partly to avoid ANOTHER problem: the badge flips and takes the lanyard with it, gradually choking the wearer. We had that problem a lot when we used the little chains.

If you can find a badge and holder design that solves this problem more effectively without adding significantly to the cost, and without adding anything at all to the time it takes to get your badge to you, I'm sure you'll find us willing to hear you out. I'm just trying to give you a better idea of what you're up against.

Kodomo no Jikan

Mahou Shoujo Nanoha

Minami-ke

Gundam 00

Ichigo Mashimaro

Shana

Death Note

Claymore

Lucky Star

Higurashi

Clannad

Moetan

Popotan

Kanon 06

Just a short list

I've never seen a Yotsuba badge before. 4chan baggage notwithstanding, I get a huge kick out of the series on its own merits and it's my favorite manga by far. It'd be a great choice for the kids, too.

Kodomo no Jikan

Mahou Shoujo Nanoha(NOT STRIKERS)

Minami-ke

Gundam 00

Ichigo Mashimaro

Shana

Death Note

Claymore

Lucky Star

Higurashi

Clannad

Moetan

Popotan

Kanon 06

Just a short list

I would scoop up a Hikaru no Go badge in a heart beat. that is currently my fave manga series right now

but I still think there should be a different genre for each badge [i wrote this in the first couple of posts]

I would LOOOOVE to see Death Note, especially Misa or maybe even just the "L" symbol.

Some throwbacks to older anime would always please us twenty-somethings. I would jump through many hoops to get a "NERV" logo badge.

Original logo, please. No upside-down apples for this curmudgeon. =0

Edited by SecondChild

Well I guess aside from the Yotsuba (not 4chan folks the series is more fun) suggestions, I would want to see:

Crayon Shin Chan

Doraemon (It's just too cute for it's own good and should be recognized for it's funniness)

Gintama

Azumanga Daioh

Dramacon *XD*

Di Gi Charat

Naruto Shippuuden *I know, i know, stereotypical but I haven't actually seen one*

Bleach *Same answer as narutard x3*

Penny Arcade

Metal Gear Solid

Sonic

Hikaru No Go

NANA

Deathnote

something that shows hentai pride?

Gravitation

Boys Be

Halo 3

Guilty Gear

Square-Enix stuffs?

and...more stuff I cannot think of from DDRing my mind out...

Death Note, Ouran, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Lucky Star.

I need nothing more then those. xD

I admit, if there isn't a Death Note, Haruhi, or Lucky Star badge, I'll be ubber surprised; seeing how huge a sensation they are right now. Personally I'd love one from any of these series: Higurashi, Code Geass, Azumanga Daioh, Death Note, Lucky Star, the classic goodies [ex.NGE], etc.. Those are the big ones I'd adore, but there's a bunch of others I'm forgetting right now. D: 'Course the gamer in me would love a Portal/WCC one. Not likely, but I'd be amused if they did it, though.

Thanks for putting some thought in this. I really don't want to discourage you from thinking up ways to do things better; that's VASTLY preferable to simply complaining about stuff.

However, you're suggesting that we change a number of things we *know* work quite well for the vast majority of our attendees and our staff; the beneficiaries of these changes would be people who can't manage to approach a door with their badge clearly visible, at the expense of everyone else. Well, them and the people you unfortunately got stuck behind who were trying to leave through the skywalk doors at lunchtime.

I'm here to tell you: those same clueless people will also put their badges in a pocket or hide them under their cosplay gear, and will have to dig for them anyway. That's a far bigger source of clogs. There is also a lot of variation in the speed with which the external door security folks can check badges. But the quantity and the timing and the other factors involved? These can't be solved by changing a badge.

I've been going to fan cons, academic and scientific conferences, trade shows, festivals, and all sorts of similar events for a solid 20 years now, and I'm here to tell you, they all require you to wear badges so that the badge can be seen. And producing an ID to access public buildings begins as early as middle school; it is simply something they'll have to get used to. You'd think that frequent business travelers would be wise enough to be rpepared this many years after 9/11. And yet, there is always a guy in front of me who hasn't managed to figure that out and I get the privilege of waiting for him.

We got through about ten *thousand* pre-reg pickups in a few hours on Thursday because we have got the management and setup of those lines down to a fine art that others simply have not. And switching to the current badge style and process was a big part of that. We got a lot of complaints about ditching our laminated badges, but eventually people realized that the lines moved MUCH faster, and we had fewer gofers with burnt fingers.

That doesn't mean we're not open to new things, but you have to think about the problems you'll create in trying to solve the problem at hand.

Case in point here: Every *second* matters because we have thousands of people waiting.

The cost of the stickers isn't the problem. It's the time it takes to apply them.

The cost of larger badges isn't the problem. It's the time it takes to fold them, and that still doesn't solve the verification problem.

But having said that, convention badge styles range in price by huge amounts, and at the quantities we need to buy them, it's going to matter if we jump by a a penny or two per badge.

So I suggest that you're looking at the wrong problem here. The problem is not that the badge has only one side. The problem is that the badge flips around.

The answer to that is to find a design that doesn't flip around so easily. Except the one we have now was picked at least partly to avoid ANOTHER problem: the badge flips and takes the lanyard with it, gradually choking the wearer. We had that problem a lot when we used the little chains.

If you can find a badge and holder design that solves this problem more effectively without adding significantly to the cost, and without adding anything at all to the time it takes to get your badge to you, I'm sure you'll find us willing to hear you out. I'm just trying to give you a better idea of what you're up against.

Well I guess aside from the Yotsuba (not 4chan folks the series is more fun) suggestions, I would want to see:

Crayon Shin Chan

Doraemon (It's just too cute for it's own good and should be recognized for it's funniness)

Gintama

Azumanga Daioh

Dramacon *XD*

Di Gi Charat

Naruto Shippuuden *I know, i know, stereotypical but I haven't actually seen one*

Bleach *Same answer as narutard x3*

Penny Arcade

Metal Gear Solid

Sonic

Hikaru No Go

NANA

Deathnote

something that shows hentai pride?

Gravitation

Boys Be

Halo 3

Guilty Gear

Square-Enix stuffs?

and...more stuff I cannot think of from DDRing my mind out...

I'd love to see Lucky Star or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, though I'd have a hard time choosing which. Would I be allowed to get one of each...just to have them both? *sigh*

I admit, if there isn't a Death Note, Haruhi, or Lucky Star badge, I'll be ubber surprised; seeing how huge a sensation they are right now.

Personal feelings aside, not sure if I would agree entirely considering Death Note got a nudge-of-death scheduling wise.

Bring on the UMDX badges. *deep sighs at himself*

I admit, if there isn't a Death Note, Haruhi, or Lucky Star badge, I'll be ubber surprised; seeing how huge a sensation they are right now.

Personal feelings aside, not sure if I would agree entirely considering Death Note got a nudge-of-death scheduling wise.

Bring on the UMDX badges. *deep sighs at himself*

"Nudge of death"? What, that it's on at 1230am instead of midnight? it still leads off their anime/action block on Saturday nights.

Their whole lineup has shifted to push stuff back because apparently the comedy shows do better in ratings for them. I still don't understand why ANYONE would give money to the Tom Goes to the Mayor people, but then again, I don't actually smoke pot and thus am not in their target audience for those shows...

I'd love to see Lucky Star or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, though I'd have a hard time choosing which. Would I be allowed to get one of each...just to have them both? *sigh*

You can't pick multiple badges for obvious reasons.

We typically put leftover badges out in the reg area once we stop accepting at-door registration on Sunday.

I would LOVE to see a Gurren Lagann badge, even if its just the mecha I DON'T CARE I just want a Gurren Lagann badge XD

But that aside here's my list

Gurren Lagann

Code Geass

Evangelion *REBUILD PEOPLE REBUILD Pretty art on otakon badge = WIN*

Ouran

Gao Gai Gar *I know, I know we had it last year but this series needs more love*

Lucky Star

Air Gear

Thats my list, but personally If I see either Eva or Gurren I will squee ALOT X3

I would LOOOOVE to see Death Note, especially Misa or maybe even just the "L" symbol.

Some throwbacks to older anime would always please us twenty-somethings. I would jump through many hoops to get a "NERV" logo badge.

I support the throwbacks 100%! Since it is the 15th Otakon they ought to do some retro anime for the tags this year. Personally, I'd love to have the original GITS logo for my badge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.