Ok got to Ball State University, and the club there is slowly dying off. I was just wondering if someone could give me some hints or club ideas that could possibly attract more members and keep the club. I would hate to see it go totally down the drain. So if anyone is like a professional anime club event organizer or something I would really like some help.

Have you considered doing things like planning a trip? fundraisers? Acting a play relating to anime or asian culture? My school's anime club *highschool* try and do charity work, or like currently we're planning to raise money to go to Sakura Matsuri or something. We also are planning a play or a theatrical performance. All I can tell you is you can always try my suggestions and/or just try flyers? a youtube video? cosplay? FLASH MOB~ x3 lol

Ah thats what we havent tried...a Flash Mob. lol Seriously though they have done flyers and stuff, but sadly its not working too well. You know as a college student I honestly thought an anime club would have a lot more members than my club has, but theres only a small handfull of us. I new more people who liked anime in highschool than I do in college. On the other hand the members who are in the club now are not exactly in the "in" crowd either. Im not saying that they have to be but I finally realized this when I was sitting down talking with a few of the club members while waiting for some other friends of mine to go to the mall. When they finally got there and I started to go off with them, the club members kinda got quiet and shy all of a sudden. So yeah I think I finally saw that line between the whole "in" crowd and other crowd thing., if that makes any sense to people, but back to the matter at hand. I will try to bring up those ideas with the managers of the club.

Ah thats what we havent tried...a Flash Mob. lol Seriously though they have done flyers and stuff, but sadly its not working too well. You know as a college student I honestly thought an anime club would have a lot more members than my club has, but theres only a small handfull of us. I new more people who liked anime in highschool than I do in college. On the other hand the members who are in the club now are not exactly in the "in" crowd either. Im not saying that they have to be but I finally realized this when I was sitting down talking with a few of the club members while waiting for some other friends of mine to go to the mall. When they finally got there and I started to go off with them, the club members kinda got quiet and shy all of a sudden. So yeah I think I finally saw that line between the whole "in" crowd and other crowd thing., if that makes any sense to people, but back to the matter at hand. I will try to bring up those ideas with the managers of the club.

WOAH! Quadruple Posting! what a rare occurence. Anime clubs in school are really a fish out of water story. They either die or they grow lungs... Try keeping an anime club outside of academic areas. I mean the real fun from a club is just being with the friends who share your intrest in anime. Not because it's at a school. So my suggestion move location.

I think it might be harder to make an anime club in college. There is an anime and gaming club at my school, and I have not even really checked it out. I also lived with quite a few people in my dorms that were REALLY into anime and gaming, but none were involved with the club. I think it just may be in my case that studying and schoolwork take up so much time during the week that there would be no time for club meetings (or really watching a lot of anime either). I think people establish social groups outside of clubs and activities and don't necessarily have a need to be involved in a club.

That being said I think it would be a good idea to try to get the word out early each semester, and especially to freshman. This way you can get them to be involved right away and form more connections to the club that may build over time and help the club grow.

I think it might be harder to make an anime club in college. There is an anime and gaming club at my school, and I have not even really checked it out. I also lived with quite a few people in my dorms that were REALLY into anime and gaming, but none were involved with the club. I think it just may be in my case that studying and schoolwork take up so much time during the week that there would be no time for club meetings (or really watching a lot of anime either). I think people establish social groups outside of clubs and activities and don't necessarily have a need to be involved in a club.

That being said I think it would be a good idea to try to get the word out early each semester, and especially to freshman. This way you can get them to be involved right away and form more connections to the club that may build over time and help the club grow.

I've spent almost a year now trying to raise Towson U's club back from its near death experience. Ya know, drama and whatnot.

Programming is key. Get stuff that will put butts in seats. Last semester we hosted three special screenings outside our meetings. We picked three guaranteed trump cards--Grave of the Fireflies (war classic, got a history prof to offer extra credit), Versus (zombies, guns, ass-kicking), and Afro Samurai (I don't need to explain this). We started pulling stuff from Operation Anime, Funimation's club support program. We solicit suggestions from members.

Activities are also important. We held a charity video game tournament for Child's Play last semester and raised about $180. This semester we're bringing in some comedians (Geek Comedy Tour) and going down to DC to volunteer at Sakura Matsuri.

My advice is, ultimately, do what you can to increase visibility. Be active about it too. You see somebody walking down the hall with a Mythwear bag, stop and chat and tell them about the club. You probably know a lot of people right now who could and should come to the club but just don't. Figure out what you need to do to bring them in.

My school has an anime club and a seperate gaming club, but then again I go to a school that has a heavy number of people going for Animation and majors of the such. Try to get people intrested more. One way could be to even include Otakon :excl: ... nothing like getting a bunch of people from your school together getting a room or 2 and going to a convention before a new years worth of classes start. In a more serious note... you could hold anime drawing events....like each week an image is posted up that ya found on the interwebz...everyone there draws their own likeness of the image and then vote on the best one(not an exact drawing...maybe a realistic form, or Chibi xD). This kinda works with my schools better because your either an art major...culinary major, or there for a fashion marketing major... and most people in the club are Animation students or Graphic Design... but it could work for you. No huge prize needs to be given maybe some snacks or something...something that would hold someone over for a week maybe :P... give them reason to come back...keep it simple and try to have fun! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, try an anime club and two gaming ones on one campus. ^_^ How do we survive? Our own room that poeple can drop by, chat and share what they have. But it soulds like you're a little screwed that way so maybe a consistant meeting spot/room you rent/nab from campus.... whatever you can manage for free. Volunteer at a con or related event and ask if you can advertise your club. Not much else I can add that hasn't been said though :)

The problem with clubs now is everyone has access to the internet and can get anime on their own. So why watch it with others when you can watch it at home. Basic thing is advertise and make it fun. Run activites, outings, and other things other than simply just watching anime.