DragonballZ Movie

It's going to suck, we know this, it's near certain, but it's general release is 5 days after Otakon and this is what I'm thinking. If Otakon fails to have any sort of exclusive deal with this movie, they aren't doing their job and it's high time they hired someone who can organize a convention to be current and a trendsetter of conventions in the west.

PS, if you can't do this, a Japanese band that we've actually heard of would be appreciated (ie someone comparable to L'arc~en~Ciel)

if it's going to suck, why on earth would we want it at otakon?? =/

Because it's anime, as much as we might try to claim it's bad, it is a big story and Otakon as the 2nd largest con should be interested in bringing as much inside info to their con.

Oh please god no... I may not even goto Otakon this year if they show that movie. I couldn't stand going to a dragonball convention.

Naruto/Bleach conventions are hard enough ;/

OKAY...

I hate pointing this out to EVERYONE, but it's NOT, one more time now just for good measure, NOT, Dragonball Z

It is dragonball, period.

So, for those of you who (God forbid) who don't know, they are indeed, two different things, completely.

Therefore, since the movie takes place around the Piccolo part of DB, this movie might not suck, considering it's a lot of martial arts and not a whole lot of "AHHHHHHHHHHH!" powering up and "OVER 9000!" power levels.

They SHOULD show it at Otakon, but they most likely won't, BECAUSE look at it this way:

Fox is banking on the fact that every anime fan, whether they think it'll suck or not, will end up paying at least ONE TIME to see the movie. That right there should help them to at least break even/turn a profit on the movie. If they take away 20000+ of their moviegoers, and let them watch it for free at Otakon, they've just lost a hellllll of a lot of money right there.

anywho...

OKAY...

I hate pointing this out to EVERYONE, but it's NOT, one more time now just for good measure, NOT, Dragonball Z

It is dragonball, period.

So, for those of you who (God forbid) who don't know, they are indeed, two different things, completely.

Therefore, since the movie takes place around the Piccolo part of DB, this movie might not suck, considering it's a lot of martial arts and not a whole lot of "AHHHHHHHHHHH!" powering up and "OVER 9000!" power levels.

They SHOULD show it at Otakon, but they most likely won't, BECAUSE look at it this way:

Fox is banking on the fact that every anime fan, whether they think it'll suck or not, will end up paying at least ONE TIME to see the movie. That right there should help them to at least break even/turn a profit on the movie. If they take away 20000+ of their moviegoers, and let them watch it for free at Otakon, they've just lost a hellllll of a lot of money right there.

anywho...

I think it's likely we'll do SOMETHING in conjunction with the movie, much as I'm hoping we'll get something rolling with Speed Racer, and the new Jet Li/Jackie Chan movie. I literally JUST got a phone call about some of these things last night.

However, for movies of the Big Hollywood Release type, you must understand that it's never entirely up to us. We're fortunate in that we have a good relationship with one of the local promoters, and that we've got a proven track record with them regarding events and special handling. Believe it or not, we aren't seen as a priority by most studios, though some of the smaller niche studios are starting to see us that way.

But getting something like that going requires timing, studio cooperation, and early enough notice to confirm the opportunities. We can ask all we want, but they are under absolutely no obligation to provide, and it's possible they'll place conditions and make demands that we can't accommodate.

Good or Bad, it still would be an amusing sight regardless. I say bring it on. Who knows? Maybe it won't be as bad as many people predict it to be.

PS, if you can't do this, a Japanese band that we've actually heard of would be appreciated (ie someone comparable to L'arc~en~Ciel)

i see a problem here:

l'arc~en~ciel's been to otakon before. and if you don't like the musical guest, there are plenty of other things to do at the con. that seems really rude to the staff

Sadly, I've gotten used to rude and/or clueless comments over the years. "Bands people have heard of" -- as though L'Arc were our only claim to fame. Show me a con with a better track record, overall, regarding Japanese musical acts both large and small, both new and established, and if it's not us, I'll eat my hat.

i see a problem here:

l'arc~en~ciel's been to otakon before. and if you don't like the musical guest, there are plenty of other things to do at the con. that seems really rude to the staff

Show me a con with a better track record, overall, regarding Japanese musical acts both large and small, both new and established, and if it's not us, I'll eat my hat.

but that shouldn't be happening :(

I know, my hat tastes *terrible*. :)

• 2 weeks later...

i see a problem here:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.