Live Anime Versions of Anime/Manga

Live Action Versions of Anime/Manga  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for it or against it?

• YES!! Bring it!
    • GAWD NO! Leave anime in its purest form!
    • Don't care.

Since there has been a recent serge in Anime/Manga series being turned into live action movies (Death Note, Speed Racer, Blood: the Last Vampire, etc.) I wondered what this community thought of the idea. Personaly I like the idea as long as it's done well. I really liked the way Death Note turned out and there are other animes that I think would do well on the big screen too. What are your thoughts?

Edited by QueenToast
Since there has been a recent serge in Anime/Manga series being turned into live action movies (Death Note, Speed Racer, Blood: the Last Vampire, etc.) I wondered what this community thought of the idea. Personaly I like the idea as long as it's done well. I really liked the way Death Note turned out and there are other animes that I think would do well on the big screen too. What are your thoughts?
Since there has been a recent serge in Anime/Manga series being turned into live action movies (Death Note, Speed Racer, Blood: the Last Vampire, etc.) I wondered what this community thought of the idea. Personally I like the idea as long as it's done well. I really liked the way Death Note turned out and there are other animes that I think would do well on the big screen too. What are your thoughts?

I know I'm not going to be popular for saying it, but I could never get into City Hunter. To me? The Jackie Chan film was better than the anime.

And I'm up for films of manga done in live action. So long as they're done well, and not as cheap knock-offs.

My two cents.

I'm a big sailor moon fan! and the only reason I watched the live action was because it had many manga influence and that was something else that the anime never had. But it's mostly power ranger oriented stuff and I'm not so much into it. Still there are really good doramas out there based in mangas or anime. Hana Yori Dango for example it was a lot of fun ^^!

• 3 weeks later...

The only live action version of an Anime/Manga I've seen is GTO... which I liked better then the anime/manga. The show didn't seem to have alot of fillers on it, but one thing is that in animation, you are not bound by the rules of reality. (Look at how long "The Simpsons" have been going on mind you, there is no way that show would still be going on if it was Live Action.)

I actually prefer the GTO live drama over the anime. I haven't read all of the manga, so I can't really compare it to that yet. But I can rewatch the GTO live drama over and over. *_*

I also prefer the Grave of the Fireflies live drama special over the anime. ^^0 There is a lot more character development in the live drama special. And because you see real people rather than animated characters, it hits home that much more. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet. Also, if you've seen the Hana Yori Dango drama, you may recognize someone in the movie. :P (Though the movie came out before the HYD drama, so I recognized the person in HYD from GotF. :D)

To be honest, I watch much more live drama (non-anime/manga based too) than anime now. I just started watching a drama called Abarenbo Mama, starring Ueto Aya. It's pretty cute.

Edited by .Schala.
(Though the movie came out before the HYD drama, so I recognized the person in HYD from GotF. :P)
Actually, the HYD drama first season began airing before the Hotaru no Haka drama aired. Matsushima Nanako is actually in all three works you mention here (though I know you are referring to Inoue Mao).

One problem I do have is that even though Japan has quite a few actors/actresses, whenever someone is popular, they star in a different drama almost every season and you can't get them off your tv screen. And some of them play the same character type EVERY single time.

Edited by .Schala.

i long for the day i can see my fav mangas / anime do it big on the silver screen .....like berserk, grappler baki, kenshin, and to be honest i wish some Japanese movies had manga counter parts like azumi, lone wolf and cub, kage no gundan, ziatoichi. when i look at how well the adaptation of the 7 samurai was done i was like hells yeah man where are the others? even highlander did it big i was feeling that anime.

i long for the day i can see my fav mangas / anime do it big on the silver screen .....like berserk, grappler baki, kenshin, and to be honest i wish some Japanese movies had manga counter parts like azumi, lone wolf and cub, kage no gundan, ziatoichi. when i look at how well the adaptation of the 7 samurai was done i was like hells yeah man where are the others? even highlander did it big i was feeling that anime.

Uh, Lone Wolf and Cub is one of the most popular manga ever.

Uh, Lone Wolf and Cub is one of the most popular manga ever.

Ah, but it was issued HERE in the late 80s -- and my guess is that Zodd242 would have been too young to remember it. Though I think they reissued it under Dark Horse about 10 years ago.

That would be wonderful if they came like that. But it depends on which one. There isnt many that i would want on there because it would be good to keep them in the original anime way, but some of them would be cool to see. Maybe in the future it would happen. Well have to wait and see! :D

Edited by coolerninjathanu
  • 4 months later...

I don't think that live action versions are all that bad to watch for fun. I've been watching the live version of Negima and I find it entertaining, and in some aspects it stays true to the manga and what happens in there. I only wonder hwo far it'll go, since the show didn't go very far at all and had a made up ending. I would have loved to see the Mahora Festivle Arc animated.

I enjoyed the Devilman movie along with the first Death Note movie. I would love to see the LA Cutey Honey TV series shown at Otakon as a late night item. I have enjoyed what I have seen on youtube.

I'd like to see a Live Action Hot Gimmick, man I love that manga. Hmmm... live action Slayers done well would be cool. I'm sort of in trepidition for the LA Dragonball movie, not going to lie on that one. ^^;;

Other series I'd like to see Live:

- X ...oh wait. If the manga ever ends. ^_^

- Nightwalker. Look, it was a cool little anime.

- Utena. If collaborated with Ikuhara and David Lynch. Could you imagine the symbolism and wtf-ery? And somehow Kyle McLaughlan would be in it. Totally.

- Fushigi Yuugi. It's totally doable and there is stuff that could be cut down to get to the point. And I totally vote for Tadanobu Asano to be in it. Somehow. He can play the book. Totally. And Kaneshiro Takeshi too. Got to have the pretty. <3

- Anatolia Story/Red River. It'd be EPIC.

- Midnight Secretary. It isn't released here in the states, I read it on Mangafox, and it's classified as adult but I really do like the story. And I relate to Kaya's woes over being baby-faced. And Director Touma is totally pimp. And a vampire.

- Genshiken. Because we ALL know or are one of those characters. Though I'm totally pissed they never animated it more and decided on Kujibiki Unbalanced! to be made. ::sigh::

- Island. It was a Korean manwha released here by Tokyopop(?) years ago. It was a really good horror series and I think it'd be such a cool LA.

- Dramacon. And I call dibs on playing the frazzled female staffer in Vol 3 wishing for a truckload of Tylenol. Because I totally look like her and she's totally me. (not really, but she does look like me so I totally call dibs. I have acting experience anyway. ^_^ )

- Kiss Me Kill Me. Gender-bending, love triangles/quadrangles, gangs, etc! What's not to love?

- Macross. Original flavored. Though a live Macross 7 would be a total trip. (is a big Fire Bomber fan)

• 2 weeks later...
- Midnight Secretary. It isn't released here in the states, I read it on Mangafox, and it's classified as adult but I really do like the story. And I relate to Kaya's woes over being baby-faced. And Director Touma is totally pimp. And a vampire.