DBZ cosplay group and meet-up

Me and a friend of mine are reviving and old classic....... that's right Dragonball Z!

Yes, Naruto and Bleach are great shows but let's not forget the ULTIMATE shounen fighting show..... yes, DBZ beats them all.

My friend is going as Future Trunks and I am going as Vegeta. If anyone is cosplaying or thinking about closplaying as an DBZ character we should meet up at the con and do photoshoots and such. Contact me via PM or AIM and we should arrange something.

Together, we can bring back a classic! LOL B)

SWEET! You have yourselves a Juuhachigou.

SWEET! You have yourselves a Juuhachigou.
I'm also thinking of going as Tien on Saturday, just for a bit of a change. I'm only concerned that I'm to old to pass off as Tien, he's 18 and I'm almost 3X that! I'll have to give it a try at home before I go out into public!

I don't think we'll cosplay on Thursday, BUT.............. My daughter and her friend are going to make Otakon 2008 tee shirts and wear feather boas. I made a couple of DBZ shirts and may wear one of them or go as Tien. Also, I'm not sure I'll have enough Roshi beard material for two days AND it's almost impossible to eat with that stuff glued on your face (I know I tried)! We can still meet up if you want. The inner harbor is within walking distance and it has a lot of resturants. I'm sure we'd get a lot of looks but who cares? I will have to run it past my son, daughter and her friend but I already told them we should do something besides just pick up the badges.

Aditionally, 30 may be the new 20 but I'm nearly 50! I think I saw one guy there last year older than me. Maybe he was youger but had a rough life.

wow, you're a cool parent. My mom thinks Im nuts for still liking anime in my 20's :P and she wont come anywhere near otakon - calling it a "freak show". Ive tried explaing anime to her - that anime is not all 'pokemon' and 'sailor moon', but she still thinks its for kids.

anyway, yea now that i think about it I cant cosplay on thursday either since i didnt reserve a hotel an extra day [and DBZ cosplays are kinda complicated]. im simply coming in from washington, dc for the day to get my badge - but i want to do something cool also. I wonder if there are any good chinese resturants within walking distances.... that seems to fit DBZ style :)

as far as people staring........ im still trying to get used to that. ive only cosplayed twice so far and ive had a blast doing it - but im still kinda shy. but it wont be so bad when im around other people

here are some pics from katsucon 2008 in washington, dc this past feb. I took some pics of a mini DBZ shoot. much fun!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1433463/

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1433462/

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1433457/

I'll check on resturants close by. I'm pretty sure there's a Chinese resturant at Harbor Place; it's Baltimore's main tourist attraction. Thursday shouldn't be too busy, but there will be thousands of con-goers there.

This will be my second time cosplaying but I used to do "living history" so you get used to people staring. I looked at your pictures, are you in there? It would be cool if there were enough DBZ cosplayers at Otakon to do a photo shoot.

Last year my daughter went as Kidd from Chrono Cross. She had her picture taken a lot. She found it posted on one of the cosplay websites, I don't remember which one. I went as Rude Friday and Hitman Saturday and also had a couple pictures taken.

I'm really hoping we can get her Twilight Princess cosplay to look good. We pretty much have the armor and head piece done. She has a dress but we need to do some pretty extensive alterations. I'm not sure if I should go as Roshi with the kung-fu uniforn or the short pants and Hawiian shirt.

What's "Living History"?

The shorts, Hawaiian shirt, and long staff would be cool. More people would reconize that I think. I'm sure there'll be enough people at Otakon to do a photo-shoot. Katsucon is much smaller and there was a good sized group there. No, I wasnt in any of the photos I posted - I was cosplaying as someone else but since DBZ is one of my favorites shows [... and it's very nostalgic for me :)] I wanted to get some pics of DBZ cosplayers. They looked like they were having so much fun.

Ive never stayed in Baltimore on Thursday long enough to see what all the congoers are doing. they wont take over all the resturants, will they? :P

What's "Living History"?

Living History is, in basic terms, when people get togeather to recreate historical times/events/etc. You can kinda think of it as an in depth history cosplay where you have to not only dress up, but get into character too.

resume original topic

Yes, that's living history. It CAN be a pain because your uniform (they HATE it to be called a costume) is scrutinized to an exterme degree. They want all sewing that shows to be hand done, correct fabric etc. You sleep out in tents and eat food cooked over an open fire. There can be nothing showing that is not period correct. It was fun at first but I never got into it to the fanatic extent that most people did. Besides, I didn't really fit in to the group I had joined, they were very "clique-ish". Basically cosplay is for FUN and living history is for an accurate representation of a specific time period.

I don't know for sure but I don't think the resturants will be swamped. It probably depends on what time we go. I'm not going to be in any hurry so it won't matter to me if we have to wait to eat.

With the Master Roshi costume, he wears such a wide range of clothes I could get away with almost anything as long as I have the beard and sunglasses. The other DBZ characters usually wear the same clothes all the time. I can't see Vegeta wearing shorts and a tee shirt!

We used foam sheeting available at Michaels Crafts, and Wal-Mart, to make Zelda's armor. If you laminate it using hot glue you can mold it to pretty much any shape. While the glue is still hot you have about a minute to get it to the right form. We made a posterboard pattern and it was a great help. The foam can be painted with spray paint. We used the foam on polystyrene plastic sheeting to get the plastic to the right shape. We painted the polystyrene so it would be shiny. The raised decoration on the armor is hot glue carefully applied. If you try this be VERY careful because that hot glue is HOT! There were a couple of websites I found that showed how to make the armor from foam, the best was amythestangel (sp?). Good Luck!

Thats a really good tip, thanks :angry:

I know the exact material that you're talking about. I think that would only work for pieces of armour but since I have to make something that'll fit around my whole torso I have to find something more sturdy. I am thinking maybe some type of foam.

If you look in some fabric stores you may find some LARGE pieces of foam. The craft foam comes in different thicknesses. We found some big sheets at Micheals Crafts. You may want to just look through some stores and see if there is anything you can modify for the armor. You may be suprised what you find.

It looks as though my own DBZ group has grown to a really great cast, so except us around the con. :D On friday (which we've nicknamed DB Day) I'll be doing Desert Bandit Yamucha, and on Saturday (Z Day) I'll be Saiya-jin Saga Chichi. I'll be hanging with a bunch of other people in DB/Z cosplay, so don' be afraid to come up and say hey!

Yay! Otakon!

I'm going to be there along with Glay and unyuu in the group!

Friday will be Dragonball Bulma time.. I will wear at least two versions of Bulma that day.. probably one pant leg and playboy bunny.

Saturday I haven't 100% decided yet.. it will be a Z costume.. either from furiza or cell/android saga most likely

Yay! Otakon!

I'm going to be there along with Glay and unyuu in the group!

Friday will be Dragonball Bulma time.. I will wear at least two versions of Bulma that day.. probably one pant leg and playboy bunny.

Saturday I haven't 100% decided yet.. it will be a Z costume.. either from furiza or cell/android saga most likely

I'm considering an adult Gohan cosplay. Try not to schedule the meet Friday morning because I might miss it ^_^

• 2 months later...

Hey yo~ Finally got myself situated over here at the forums.

I'll be joining unyuu and Ichigokitty's group as Kuririn! X3 I'm really excited to see everyone in their DB-related costumes!!