Japanese guests that you love

If you could pick ANY Japanese guest [voice actor, musical, etc] to come to Otakon this year, who would it be and why?

For me, I would love to see the voice actor Koyasu come. He's done SO many characters that I can't list them here [hotohori from fushigi yuugi, aya from weiss kreuz, etc]

Last year it was really awsome that tomokazu seki came, I really enjoyed that. and in 2001 midorikawa hikaru came - which was FREAKIN' awsome. I got a Heero yui poster signed by him. I hope he comes back, actually.....

Anyway, post away :D

I would love to see X Japan! specially since they are back together and is their 10th anniversary since they disbanded.

Also Naoko Takeuchi ^^! I'm a big Sailor Moon fan and it was one of my first anime series to watch (I was around 6 years old). Regarding voice actors all the sexy male voices out there (japanese only) for example all the weiss kreuz boys or Megumi Ogata!

Thanks for letting me dream =P

Regarding voice actors all the sexy male voices out there (japanese only) for example all the weiss kreuz boys or Megumi Ogata!

ya I so agree with you. the entire male cast of Weiss Kruez is welcome to come to Otakon :blush:, they all have sexy voices. The only dubbed actor is a sexy voice is Steve Blum - man he was stunning in FF: Advent Children as Vincent.

Since this year is the anniversary for sailor moon it would be freakin' awsome to have naoko takeuchi come....... but that might be near impossible. And let me add Yuu Watse to my list of people I would stand in line for hours to see........

I second X Japan.

Also, Oguri Shun and Ueto Aya. <3

• 3 weeks later...

The Best of the Best, the Legend of Legends (at least, that's how fans refer to him), Isao Sasaki. Just the titles given to him say it all; however, just as in the case of Ichiro Mizuki, I don't think we will ever hear a voice like that again (no Jrock star can equal that voice, and I am quite sure that the Jrock stars will willingly take a step back to give the stage to him.) Asians tend to have a lot of respect for age and experience.

The Best of the Best, the Legend of Legends (at least, that's how fans refer to him), Isao Sasaki. Just the titles given to him say it all; however, just as in the case of Ichiro Mizuki, I don't think we will ever hear a voice like that again (no Jrock star can equal that voice, and I am quite sure that the Jrock stars will willingly take a step back to give the stage to him.) Asians tend to have a lot of respect for age and experience.

I'm praying to the stars that JAM shows up with Aniki (Mizuki Ichirou) for the con. It'd be an honor to see such a legend show up here. Though Isao Sasaki would be an equal honor to see live.

I'd also kill to see people like Noboyuki Hiyama, Kenichi Sonoda, Keiji Gotoh, or Brett Weaver show up this year.

I would die if the j-pop group SPEED came as a musical guest, I SO love them.... but I dunno how popular they are among american fans or even japanese fans....
I would die if the j-pop group SPEED came as a musical guest, I SO love them.... but I dunno how popular they are among american fans or even japanese fans....

Do you mean SPEED as in Takako, Hitoe, Hiro and Eriko? If so, they were indeed very popular in Japan, but they broke up 8 years ago.

They did do a brief reunion a few years ago, but Hitoe is now a yoga instructor in New York and Eriko has a child. Hiro was a guest at Sakuracon, I believe. And Takako is usually always dating some cute boy idol.

If you could pick ANY Japanese guest [voice actor, musical, etc] to come to Otakon this year, who would it be and why?

For me, I would love to see the voice actor Koyasu come. He's done SO many characters that I can't list them here [hotohori from fushigi yuugi, aya from weiss kreuz, etc]

Last year it was really awsome that tomokazu seki came, I really enjoyed that. and in 2001 midorikawa hikaru came - which was FREAKIN' awsome. I got a Heero yui poster signed by him. I hope he comes back, actually.....

Anyway, post away ^_^

Most of my requests would be old-school seiyuu. Kappei Yamaguchi, Takehito Koyasu, Noriko Hidaka, Megumi Ogata, Minami Takayama, Nobuyuki Hiyama or Susumu Chiba. I've followed their careers for years.

I would also love to see some manga-ka come; like Rumiko Takahashi, Aoyama Gosho, Yoshihiro Togashi, Tsukasa Hojo, Kazuhiro Fujita or Arina Tanemura to name a few.

I would foam at the mouth if rumiko takahashi or arina tanemura came. GOD!

but the chances of ms. takahashi coming are slim im sure. it would also be nice to see takeshi obata [death note, hikaru no go] but i heard he went to jail for possession of a knife. i dunno if he's out yet or not.

Edited by Duelistbluerose
  • 2 weeks later...

>.< My first Otakon was 2004 so I missed Yoko Kanno and Hikaru Midorikawa >.<! That's sad cause I love them both. True, seeing L'arc en ciel and Seki Tomokazu was awesome! So this year I'd be so happy to see some of my favorite seiyuu (and have them do their voices)! Miki Shinichirou (Urahara "Sandal Hat" from Bleach), Seki Toshihiko (Duo from Gundam Wing), and the famous Koyasu Takehito (Zechs from Gundam Wing, Hotohori from Fushigi Yuugi). Of couse these guys have other popular roles, but those character voices are my favorite!

Ofc, I'd like to see Gackt in concert, since I've been a fan since I was 15 (now 22)!

Basically, the best guests for me are the seiyuu and mangaka tho! Please bring more of them!

Edited by Samiki

Well, we have a special friend coming, that's confirmed and will be announced in the next day or two; we also are trying to get final confirmation on another high-profile guest. Another has until the end of the month to decide.

There are too many for me to list so I'll just stick with seiyuu

Akio Ohtsuka (Kyou Kara Maou,Ghost in the Shell, Black Jack)

Toshiyuki Morikawa (KKM,Devil May Cry,D.Gray Man)

Kazuhiko Inoue (KKM,Chrno Crusade,Gravitation)

Mitsuki Saiga (KKM, .hack//SIGN,Koutetsu Sangokushi)

Hiroaki Hirata (KKM,One Piece, Air Gear, Saiyuki)

......notice a theme? It would be great to meet just one of these people. Not only are they awesome voice actors, they're awesome singers to boot. :)

Edited by Ultimecia029
Well, we have a special friend coming, that's confirmed and will be announced in the next day or two; we also are trying to get final confirmation on another high-profile guest. Another has until the end of the month to decide.
  • 2 weeks later...

Aw, it'd be neat if Naoko Takeuchi could come. But reading through, that seems slim to none of happening. Oh well...

(How many guests are there total, typically? Just a few people or a bunch?)

If I could meet ANY Japanese guest?

We're talking dream guests, right?

Well I'd aim for the top and say Hideaki Anno, since he created my favourite anime series of all time.

Although, the musical side of me would love to meet Nobuo Uematsu.

And you can never go wrong with Hayao Miyazaki. ^_^

I was VERY happy to be able to meet (ever so briefly) Morio Asaka at last year's con, and have him sign my Chobits box set. If he ever came back, I could get a sig for Gunslinger Girl.

Edit: Dream musical guest (performing) = The Pillows!

Edited by SecondChild
  • 3 weeks later...

First of all, I agree that having the chance to meet Hikaru Midorikawa back in '01 was awesome, (I only wish that I had had something other than my Wing Zero badge for him to sign at the time though) he would be an excellent repeat Japanese guest to have. However, as far as repeats are concerned, I'd rather see Yoko Kanno, who if I'd only known about Otakon in '99...

Other Japanese guests I would love to see would be Megumi Hayashibara, Yuu Watase, Hideko Anno, etc - All dream guests, all amazing talents.

As far as musical guests are concerned, well let's just say if Otakon ever managed to get Arashi, I think I could officially die happy at that moment. After recently having watched the Jdrama Gokusen & listening to their music, seeing Arashi in concert would be a dream come true...

oh and whoever said stuff about the guys from Weiss...YESSSS!! and they could perform too!!!! I love their songs!! (though I don't think they perform anymore... T_T)
As far as musical guests are concerned, well let's just say if Otakon ever managed to get Arashi, I think I could officially die happy at that moment. After recently having watched the Jdrama Gokusen & listening to their music, seeing Arashi in concert would be a dream come true...

For me, it would have to be Yasuhiro Nightow. Granted, I already met the man at a convention last year, he was extremely friendly and a pleasure to talk to. But I would love to be able to meet him again without having the fan jitters XD

Oh, like many others though, Yoko Kanno. Her musical work for many anime is just downright fabulous and I would be ecstatic to meet her.

Considering I just woke up to Ito Yuna on my itunes... I would piss my pants happy if you guys got her as a guest.

For me, it would have to be Yasuhiro Nightow. Granted, I already met the man at a convention last year, he was extremely friendly and a pleasure to talk to. But I would love to be able to meet him again without having the fan jitters XD

Oh, like many others though, Yoko Kanno. Her musical work for many anime is just downright fabulous and I would be ecstatic to meet her.

I agree with you on both counts -- Nightow was one of the first guests I really got to spend time with as a staffer, and I enjoyed chatting with him a lot. And regular visitors to the BBS know that I'd love to have Kanno-san back.

I agree with you on both counts -- Nightow was one of the first guests I really got to spend time with as a staffer, and I enjoyed chatting with him a lot. And regular visitors to the BBS know that I'd love to have Kanno-san back.

Haha. Nightow was really awesome, and so fan friendly, I still have a picture my friend took of him taking a picture of me in my Legato costume. It really makes you feel so honored when the creator of your favorite Manga takes YOUR picture.

How about when he takes your picture and you're just wearing a "Gotta catch 'em all - I caught Suzaku!" sign to go with your beanie-baby chicken in a birdcage "cosplay"? x) That still makes my day, haha.

Haha. Nightow was really awesome, and so fan friendly, I still have a picture my friend took of him taking a picture of me in my Legato costume. It really makes you feel so honored when the creator of your favorite Manga takes YOUR picture.

• 1 month later...

I would bring Rip Slyme, the first reason is because there music ROCKS and the second reason would be because they did the intro song for the anime Gantz

I realize it is far too late for this year, and it would probably never happen, but I'll go ahead. There is sort of an urgency to my request, because some of the people who produce anime are getting ... well ... older. It would be a shame to never see someone because we "missed" the chance. The person I want to see was born in 1935, so he is "getting up there" in years, but it would be amazing to hear him speak: ISAO TAKAHATA. And when in the hell is Disney going to get off their collective keisters and release Only Yesterday?

We *have* made some contacts at Ghibli, but have been told, frankly, that there's almost no chance of getting one of the big names there, period -- unless Disney specifically asks.

So while I'd love to see him there, or any of the heavy hitters at Ghibli, we're just not likely to see it.

We had two heartbreaking "near misses" this year -- some amazing "holy crap" names (in addition to the ones we got), who simply weren't able to make this year work, but might be up for next year.

But two years ago, "JAM PROJECT" was a "never gonna happen" guest, too. Rest assured that if the opportunity comes up, we'll be all over it. :)

We *have* made some contacts at Ghibli, but have been told, frankly, that there's almost no chance of getting one of the big names there, period -- unless Disney specifically asks.

So while I'd love to see him there, or any of the heavy hitters at Ghibli, we're just not likely to see it.

We had two heartbreaking "near misses" this year -- some amazing "holy crap" names (in addition to the ones we got), who simply weren't able to make this year work, but might be up for next year.

But two years ago, "JAM PROJECT" was a "never gonna happen" guest, too. Rest assured that if the opportunity comes up, we'll be all over it. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.