City Transportation?

Question

ok...so...every year that i have gone to otakon i have stayed about a block or 2 away from the convention center...but this year i am staying about 7 blocks away from the convention center...i was wondering what would be the best thing to do to get to the convention center? i was thinking that walking would take a while...i was also thinking about the light rail? i heard its about $1.60 for a one way trip...but i dont know anything about it? and what about cabs? could somebody inform me? my hotel is on franklin st.

15 answers to this question

Depends where on Franklin Street your lodgings are. In any case, the shortest line from Franklin to any point along the BCC is about 3/5mile, so a good 8 minute walk or 10 minute stroll. A taxi would probably run you about $4 each way or as you mentioned, the light rail (station just north at Centre Street) $1.60 each way. Also, the way back will probably be uphill, so keep that in mind about the end of a whole day walking around the BCC.

Depends where on Franklin Street your lodgings are. In any case, the shortest line from Franklin to any point along the BCC is about 3/5mile, so a good 8 minute walk or 10 minute stroll. A taxi would probably run you about $4 each way or as you mentioned, the light rail (station just north at Centre Street) $1.60 each way. Also, the way back will probably be uphill, so keep that in mind about the end of a whole day walking around the BCC.

This should help you some.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/

That's the info on Baltimore's Mass transit.

I'd recommend walking during the day, and cab at night. If your by yourself or don't know your way away around, I wouldn't take the MTA at night or walk.

I'm guessing that's the Mt. Vernon Hotel?

More than you ever wanted to know about getting around to/from Otakon:

http://www.otakon.com/allroads.asp

My personal suggestion: Walk. Even at one or two in the morning, there will probably be enough life and fellow con-goers on Charles St. that you're safe. Light Rail drops you several blocks west of, and either a bit north of or south of, your destination (this is the Mt. Vernon Hotel, right?). What you save in riding light rail up, you lose in getting lost and hiking the length of the BCC back east.

If you are dead tired and can't walk another foot, you can take a taxi, perhaps $4-5 divided by 2-4 people is certainly cost-effective. Alternative B if you're by yourself are several bus lines running north on Charles Street--#3, #11, and #64, I think, plus likely several others. But that's $1.60 times how many folks for what amounts to barely a two-minute ride, even with stop lights factored in. A bargain if you were riding to, say, Towson or Owings Mills or even Mondawmin, but.............

I'm guessing that's the Mt. Vernon Hotel?

More than you ever wanted to know about getting around to/from Otakon:

http://www.otakon.com/allroads.asp

My personal suggestion: Walk. Even at one or two in the morning, there will probably be enough life and fellow con-goers on Charles St. that you're safe. Light Rail drops you several blocks west of, and either a bit north of or south of, your destination (this is the Mt. Vernon Hotel, right?). What you save in riding light rail up, you lose in getting lost and hiking the length of the BCC back east.

If you are dead tired and can't walk another foot, you can take a taxi, perhaps $4-5 divided by 2-4 people is certainly cost-effective. Alternative B if you're by yourself are several bus lines running north on Charles Street--#3, #11, and #64, I think, plus likely several others. But that's $1.60 times how many folks for what amounts to barely a two-minute ride, even with stop lights factored in. A bargain if you were riding to, say, Towson or Owings Mills or even Mondawmin, but.............

This should help you some.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/

That's the info on Baltimore's Mass transit.

I'd recommend walking during the day, and cab at night. If your by yourself or don't know your way away around, I wouldn't take the MTA at night or walk.

Definitely refer to MTA Maryland's site for mass transit info, and not the ALL ROADS LEAD TO OTAKON site. I've sent info many times up to the maintainter there and it hasn't been rewritten yet! I'd probably have to rewrite it myself since even the map is TWO revisions out of date.

Who've you been sending the info to, and when? The original site is gone; we sort of inherited it, and the "maintainer" is Flying Scotsman, above. Keep in mind that the rewrite may be in progress. When in doubt, you can always make such submissions through the website to the webmaster, and he'll usually correct it or bounce it to the right folks.

ok...so...every year that i have gone to otakon i have stayed about a block or 2 away from the convention center...but this year i am staying about 7 blocks away from the convention center...i was wondering what would be the best thing to do to get to the convention center? i was thinking that walking would take a while...i was also thinking about the light rail? i heard its about $1.60 for a one way trip...but i dont know anything about it? and what about cabs? could somebody inform me? my hotel is on franklin st.
Definitely refer to MTA Maryland's site for mass transit info, and not the ALL ROADS LEAD TO OTAKON site. I've sent info many times up to the maintainter there and it hasn't been rewritten yet! I'd probably have to rewrite it myself since even the map is TWO revisions out of date.
Edited by Flying Scotsman

It'd be great if Light Rail and Baltimore Metro took a cue from DC and extended their weekend hours. Though I foresee some whining from residential areas (specifically the miles and miles of NIMBYites the train passes between Falls Road and Lutherville).

One helpful thing for us is the MTA's Camden Yards rule. Service keeps running for an hour or so after the game ends, schedule be damned. Friday and Saturday are both night games. Pray for extra innings.

Plus, Charles Street is lovely, I walk around it all the time.

But do you walk around it by yourself late at night while wearing a costume? I would not advise this - though if you're traveling in a group, or during the workday/daylight, you should be okay on foot.

Plus, Charles Street is lovely, I walk around it all the time.

But do you walk around it by yourself late at night while wearing a costume? I would not advise this - though if you're traveling in a group, or during the workday/daylight, you should be okay on foot.