What's going on with ADV and manga?

I've been waiting months for Volume 6 of Yotsuba&! to come out but it's been delayed on my Amazon preorder twice now with a ship date between May 5 - June 10. Does anyone know?

ADV is suffering pretty badly thanks to a tanked economy, a weak dollar, and lackluster DVD sales.

All those folks who like to pretend that their "free" fansubs don't have any impact on the industry, take heed. I hope ADV makes it through the year.

I've been waiting months for Volume 6 of Yotsuba&! to come out but it's been delayed on my Amazon preorder twice now with a ship date between May 5 - June 10. Does anyone know?

ADV is suffering pretty badly thanks to a tanked economy, a weak dollar, and lackluster DVD sales.

All those folks who like to pretend that their "free" fansubs don't have any impact on the industry, take heed. I hope ADV makes it through the year.

Rumor has it that Gonzo thought Crunchyroll was more legitimate than it is, and now find themselves awkwardly in bed with the enemy. Still, points to them for trying something new.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

I must just be the really odd one out, but I use fansubs and fanslations to decide if I like something, and if I actually do, I know what to buy when it comes out. I hate wandering into the store blind, picking up something that looks good, and watching it to discover that it's not to my tastes at all. The only thing I like less than that is missing the chance to get a hard copy of something I loved--I've bought the same series in two media formats when I found out that someone had taped over my Here is Greenwood vol.3.

Funimation isn't going anywhere. Between the perennial cash cow that is DBZ (especially in the wake of the movie, however horrible it will likely be), dependable shows like FMA, and money-printing licenses like Afro Samurai, I think Funi is pretty safe

I tell ya, thank god for Netflix. Since I can't purchase every series that I want, it's nice to be able to rent what's available on DVD.

That's what I do on occasion and how I preview my anime before purchasing. Like CC Sakura. Watched the first DVD from Netflix and then proceeded to buy the Clow Book and Sakura Book boxed sets as well as the individual DVDs. I collect anime, my husband says it's an expensive habit, lol.

Just tell him it's a hell of a lot cheaper than it used to be.

I have pretty much the entire run of Ranma and Maison Ikkoku on VHS...bought at about $25-30 per tape.

I like to read in the store to see if i like something, which is why i wouldn't want any book in a store wrapped up. I'd much rather spend my money on something that i will like than finding out that i don't like it & regretting having bought it. And oftentimes, if i read a manga-- or any book-- in the store without buying anything, it's usually because i don't have the funds for it at the time, so i'll wait. But in the meantime, i'll be able to assess whether or not i like it & actually would want it, & it helps to pass the time/ save one from... certain people. Most of the time i won't buy something without knowing about it or looking through it beforehand, so being able to just sit around & read through a few volumes is really nice.

Hopefully they'll make it through. Otakon might actually help, since it's such a concentration of people interested in (generally) he same area, who will buy something(s) if they are so inclined.

(my two cents)

Edited by fegie

ADV has been flopping when it comes to manga. Looks like they were gonna continue Gunslinger Girl finally, but now thats on hold! Seems they are having investor issues with them losing the license of GL and delays of most of their series!

They cant expect to make money off NGE forever

I have pretty much the entire run of Ranma and Maison Ikkoku on VHS...bought at about $25-30 per tape.

Edited by DuelNatsuko

I feel your pain. I've been waiting far too long for Yotsuba&! Volume 6 also. I'm about ready to give up and start buying them in Japanese... I'm hoping ADV doesn't go down the pooper. I really like them. And I liked a lot of Geneon stuff too. ^^;;

Oh yes, anime is way cheaper than it used to be.. $30 per subtitled VHS w/ 2 episodes.. I feel ripped.

You just gotta find the right places if you wanna save money. Rightstuf is great. Might wanna try deepdiscountdvd.com. Their prices are OMG.. ^^

Edited by egyptianruin