Anime shows that never should have exsisted

1 word

Evangelion.

I liked it back in the day but after episode 4 it started a down hill slide of religious trips and what I assume drug induced scenes starting at the wall for over 10 mins. :D it made no sense, shinji was annoying beyond measure by the end and the movies made it worse. Oh if only I could go back in time and get back that 30.00 per tape I paid and erase it from my memory :angry:

meantime I absolutely loved sailor moon and yami no matsuei but to each their own

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 word

Evangelion.

I liked it back in the day but after episode 4 it started a down hill slide of religious trips and what I assume drug induced scenes starting at the wall for over 10 mins. :D it made no sense, shinji was annoying beyond measure by the end and the movies made it worse. Oh if only I could go back in time and get back that 30.00 per tape I paid and erase it from my memory :angry:

meantime I absolutely loved sailor moon and yami no matsuei but to each their own

Not actually an anime, but Kingdom Hearts, it's like they gave someone's godawful crossoverfanfic a six million dollar budget.

LOL :D

... but it's a really fun game! At first I thought it was a silly concept [Disney and Final Fantasy], but I gave it a shot and loved it.

And I didn't like Voices of a Distance Star because I felt it was too melodramatic and depressing. I didnt feel good after watching that movie....

Naruto - Except for that the show is painful to watch, the fans are even worse. This show is the sole reason I have quit every Anime Club I have joined after the first day and feel very hesitant on taking Japanese Classes in a University.
  • 1 month later...
And I kinda agree about Kingdom Hearts. Don't get me wrong, I think it's alright, but way too over-rated. And the manga is god awful... ><

yea the manga is awful. I was hoping that the manga would go into more detail about the characters and the plot instead of being EXACTLY like the game. plus it was very rated G.

ok here is my go,

Filler episodes in Naruto, i dont know of any anime with so many (and most of them pointless) filler episodes in history, they just suck and the animation has down graded immensely

Full metal alchemist the movie, Seemed like they rushed it, wht the hell does Adolf hilter had to do with anything is beyond me and didnt need to be in the story, the worst part is that was the movies main hook and was kept a secret till a few weeks before release. I was expecting a better tie in to the epic tale not this garabage (good animation though)

Just because there are some anime that helped bring others here to the states doesnt mean they are any good. So i dont like sailor moon. and yes bad dubbing and cutting only appeals to people that have no knowledge of the original, which is way dbz when it first came to the states sucked to me after watching it in japanese for years. I was turned off of one piece for the same thing. Anyone watch gurren lagann on SCi fi dubbed, they cut out half an episode (i think #5). There are better ways to dub and censor and no i dont have to watch it but that doesnt mean its good.

Trinity blood, you get introduced to all these cool characters and then they just cut it short explaining barely anything, but not before almost completely ripping off Vash the stampede background story. Maybe thats why they had to cut it short of copyright infringment.

Peach girl, that just pi***d me off, the best part is to watch the voice actors commentary on the last episode, that made it worth all the agonny i suffered thanks to my wife for watching this garbage.

Sword of truth!! this is the crappiest movie in history, makes no sense and story goes absoloutely no where, and big time cliff hanger ending with no sequel ever.

MD giest, cool mecha crappy everything else.

Yes im tired of all the stupid card game, and gotta catch em all animes, the first ones arent so bad its all of the copy cat and BS sequels that usually suck.

Yeah not a fan of sports anime either!

Dragon Half, actually one of the funniest animes i had seen back in the day, its on the list because there is only like 1 or 1 episodes and then they just cut it and never went back to it!

Desendants of darkness, umm its yaoi and it sucked!

Ok all you DBZ haters, looking back at it i watched the series in total japanese with no subtitiles so i didnt know what the hell they were talking about but the fight scences were incredible and its what really got me into anime (voltron, robotech, transformers, didnt count because i didnt know it was anime back then). Never heard of AT, but GT did suck and the animation took a dive for the worse. Sure how much more powerful could they get?? but the fight scenes are the same as any anime with a lot of fighting that lasts more then 26 episodes (bleach anyone) they fight and spend a week worth of episodes talking about thier past or some attack they are going to use. In my opinion DBZ started it all and theres not much out there that has the great fight scences found in the series which such a level of intensity though many have tried to copy (yu yu hakusho).

one word;

Medabots

the while the show was great the english dialog was just too

*bleepin* awful. anything that just improvises words for the script like that.... gah

As for "SPORTS AINT ANIME", would you extend that to the logical conclusion that martial arts aren't suitable for anime?

Anime is a medium -- not a subject matter. There are anime (and manga) on all sorts of subjects and it's fine if some of them don't interest you, but to say they're not anime is pretty silly.

- Trinity Blood - I personally dont know anyone who likes this show very much other than cosplayers.... and I must say their costumes look fantastic, even if they had to take out bank loans to make them

- DBZ - I like this series but i think it should have stopped after the cell saga. HOW many times can you really blow up the earth?

- evangelion - this would be my fave show if it were just more down to earth and not so effing crazy. you can definately sense the creator's depression while watching this series. plus i happen to think i'm kinda smart so i dont like not being able to figure a show out. i was SO confused after watching Eva.

- wedding peach - a complete sailor moon rip-off

- sailor moon SS and the movie - they clearly ran out of ideas when making this season

- voices of a distance star - good story idea but i really didnt like this one..... i also cant really explain why. it left me feeling dark and sad but not in a thought-provoking or moving way. it left me with nothing after watching it

- the bounto arc of bleach, because it's 45 episodes of filler

There aren't any shows I don't think shouldn't have existed, especially if they had enough fans to warrant their existance, but man, there were some shows whose production values did not do them justice. Some shows are just so poorly made that you wonder if the animation studio expected anyone to watch the show. A lot of kids' shows aimed at girls like Onegai My Melody, Kirara Revolution and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne have crooked lines, incorrect shading and just one-dimensional coloring that looks like a kid did. (Keroro Gunso, aimed at boys, looks very good in comparison.) And don't get me started on the voice acting in Kirara Revolution. Whoever decided that Morning Musume should play voice acting parts obviously doesn't watch the show... It'd be such a cute show if I didn't want to strangle the lead actress!!! (Getting cable recently means I've been watching Kids Station a lot.)

For every series out there, at least one person who hates it and at least one person who likes it. If the number of people in the second category outweighs the first category, the show has done its job. While it's easy to hate on mainstream shows like DBZ and Sailor Moon, mainstream shows tend to be important in the history of fandom.

Dragonball Z. Somehow, hating Dragonball Z seems to be a trend among some American fans. And some fans appear to equate hating Dragonball Z as making them closer to Japanese fandom. Sure, there are tons of shows in Japan (many with better plotlines and less filler), but almost every boy of my generation in Japan has a soft spot for Dragonall Z and Dragon Quest. When Dragonball Z, Slam Dunk (yes, a sports manga and the highest selling manga of all time in Japan) and YuYu Hakusho ended in Shonen Jump, sales of the magazine dropped so drastically that the magazine has been unable to recover the level of sales during that period. Sure, I personally can't tell one episode apart from another, but I can't imagine my generation growing up without the existance of DBZ. It was just that huge. And it was a big deal when it first started airing on TV in the US. It lead the way for other Funimation shows to be on tv.

Sailor Moon. Some people call the current Kodansha building the "Sailor Moon Building." While Kodansha has always been one of the largest publishers in Japan, it was said that they made so much profit from the sales of Sailor Moon that they were able to buy a new building using this money alone. (Real estate is not cheap in Japan.) Clearly people were buying the stuff, and many shows continue to spoof Sailor Moon. It was also the first girls' show to really make it huge around the world, especially in the US, which had the poorest anime selection compared to other countries for a very long time. I was such a huge fan in my teens, so I can't quite imagine a world without this show either.

Despite having friends on the staff of Eva, I intensely dislike the show and the type of fandom it attracts. (Many seem to use this show to justify certain levels of social ineptitude.) However, there's no doubt that this show was revolutionary. It made tv shows as artful (whether intentionally or not) and hard to understand as a local arthouse flick. It definitely challenged the way that people thought of tv entertainment . . . before all such shows ended up being moved to very late tv spots. And they keep making movies, so obviously someone (many people) still enjoy it.

edits: skipped words...

Edited by kaki
  • 1 month later...

Seriously, though.

How can ANYBODY not like FLCL?!?!?

Good Points:

1. short

2. funny

3. awesome climax

4. EXPLOSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^

5. fan service (mostly for dudes)

6. robots coming from people's head's a.k.a. originality

7. technical information is correct

8. etc.

I do agree with the fact that pokemon, digimon, monster rancher, yu-gi-oh, etc. were REALLY stretched out beyond their logical extremes. I do remember when pokemon had only 150 monsters (which, along with Mew and Mewtwo, are the only cards I collected, am collecting, or will ever collect). Also, digimon was better left at 1 story arc and 1 movie. Period.

Honestly, there aren't many anime shows out there that I would say shouldn't exist. Simply because of the fact that SOMEONE out there watches it, and SOMEONE out there enjoys it. However, there are some shows that I don't particularly like, and although I will watch them, I won't enjoy them. Mind you I don't watch anime very often, so it's not like my list is that extensive.

1. Naruto: Now, I know I'm probably going to get eaten alive for this, but honestly, Naruto doesn't appeal to me. I'm a bit of an old-fashioned guy, and when I hear ninjas, I imagine swift, agile Japanese men sneaking through castles trying to assassinate emperors. Not exactly what I got when I saw Naruto. Granted, I did watch until the end of the Chuunin arc, simply because I enjoyed seeing Rock Lee (and to this day, he's one of the only characters I will defend from that show, the others being Shino and Shikamaru).

2. FLCL: I honestly don't understand the fandom behind this show. It never really appealed to me, and I watched it hundreds of times to try and get an understanding of what's so great about it. And to this day, I just don't see it. Not only that, but I dislike The Pillows as well...not that that has anything to do with me not liking FLCL, but apparently they did a bunch of music for it, and I wasn't too fond of it.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist (the anime): Again, taking this with a grain of salt, simply because the manga is still ongoing and I haven't exactly gotten caught up... I didn't like the anime from the moment I saw it. I'd read the manga beforehand, and they seemed to cut some of my favorite parts out... It just didn't seem fair.

4. Code Geass: So, at first I liked the show...that is until I realized that it seems everyone in that show is a super JERK (except Nunally). Outside of that, I think the show is great. The artwork is fantastic, and the storyline is definitely something that should've been done a long time ago.

5. Blood+: The ONLY reason I watched this show was for the opening and ending songs. The 20 minutes in between were just horrible for me. In truth, I wouldn't have even known about the show if I didn't stay up to watch Trinity Blood (which I absolutely adore, by the way). I just couldn't get into it. It seemed way too depressing and saddening for me to even try to enjoy.

• 1 month later...

1. Bobobobobobobo- It made me want to rip my eyes out.

2. Linebarrels of Iron- I absoluely HATE the main character. I tried watching the first 4 episodes and I almost punched my computer in frustration, but I did shake my monitor.

3. Code Geass- I just never got into it and I also agree that most of the characters are jerks.

1 word

Evangelion.

I liked it back in the day but after episode 4 it started a down hill slide of religious trips and what I assume drug induced scenes starting at the wall for over 10 mins. <_< it made no sense, shinji was annoying beyond measure by the end and the movies made it worse. Oh if only I could go back in time and get back that 30.00 per tape I paid and erase it from my memory :angry:

• 1 month later...

The Newer Yu-gi-oh series. The first season two were okay after that I'm trying to figure out how many monsters are in the Shadow Realm.

Pokemon. IT MUST END. I remember the first 151 Pokemon, half of the Johto Pokemon, 1/3 of the next series, and Beyond lost of the rest of them. It must End also they are running out of names for them....

That's all current....

The Newer Yu-gi-oh series. The first season two were okay after that I'm trying to figure out how many monsters are in the Shadow Realm.

Pokemon. IT MUST END. I remember the first 151 Pokemon, half of the Johto Pokemon, 1/3 of the next series, and Beyond lost of the rest of them. It must End also they are running out of names for them....

That's all current....

YuGiOh - Personally I loved the first and second seasons of the FIRST show, but then it got a case of the 'Wow we can make money off of this let's make it last long!' syndrome, which results in crappy plotlines and downgrading animation.

Dragonball GT - Dragonball and Dragonball Z were two animes that got me into anime, the third being Rurouni Kenshin...but I have to ignore this piece of crap the creators pooped out. Animation was worse than the previous series and the plot seemed way too weird to watch...even for the Dragonball series! I do have to agree with Dragonball Z and their forever off the chart powers. They're always OVER 9000!!! (...sorry, couldn't resist the urge).

Pokemon - It...has...no...ending! It should have ended after the 1st season! The only good movies were 1-3! But dang...I'm still addicted to the handheld games. I'm forever getting the 8 badges...

Any card game or bakugon-like show - I personally think they're all after the fame YuGiOh got when they started out. Plots are loads of crap (Bakugon: cards fell from the sky one day. Instead of investigating, they make a freaking card game out of it.).

4Kids dubs - Nothing against the animes, but I think 4Kids ruined them for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I HATED DBZ back in the day. Not necessarily because of the show itself(although a planet taking three weeks to explode in five minutes is pretty WTF-worthy), but because of its FANS. See, I used to hang out in AOL's anime chat back around the time DBZ got HUGE, and every fan of the show was rabid -- so much show that if you said ANYTHING bad about it, it seemed you were automatically branded the devil and you should diedieDIE in a fire.

Plus, "sending to another dimension"? Is Yuna part of the DBZ cast, and no one told us?

Then you have Pokemon -- the show where every episode is basically the same. Why did Team Rocket want Ash's Pikachu anyway? Just because it wouldn't go into a Pokeball? I wonder if the plot for that show was written by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really care for .hack//Legend of the Twilight either. I liked the plot well enough, but for some reason, the visuals seemed... squished... to me, for lack of a better word. Again, maybe it's just me.

Evangelion would have been much better if Third Impact was explained in laymen's terms. Sort of "Okay, here's what's going on..." Make it easier to understand instead of all the "WTH was THAT?" Hopefully this'll be fixed with the new movies.

Naruto? Sorry, just can't get into it. And it's funny, because I enjoy Rise Of A Ninja for 360(just not the online component, where I lose a match in 2.3 seconds every time.)

Agreed with all of those 'collect toys' type anime shows.

Will also add Naruto to this list. Ugh.

Oh, and let me tack on the dub of the original BGC -- while the English voices were decent, they made the mistake of *remaking* the songs in English, and it ended up being so *bleep!*ing HORRID.

Edited by onsenmark

Pilot Candidate - Jesus...that show just sucked beyond sucking. it was like...wow, so lame.

Half the Gundams - there were just far too many of these damn shows. I think there should be a law that instates only 3 Gundams for every decade.

DBZ - should have ended after Cell. The show really hit a wall after that and never recovered.

Naruto/Bleach - Already have been done (see: DBZ/Yu Yu Hakusho)

Rurouni Kenshin - you took away from Samurai X's greatness, you campy, bug-eyed sorry-excuse for an anime.

Pokemon after Brock left - really? you're gonna take away Brock? You suck, Pokemon. You suck hard.

Inuyasha - apologies to the Fly and most fangirls, but this show was horrid.

The problem with this thread is that people are trashing shows they personally dislike, hardly because of any real reasons like poor storyline or shoddy art.

Here's mine: Genma Wars. Just look at one ep. Bad art, wierd as hell storyline and lack of overall direction.

No love for Bobobo huh?

Sonic X, Duel Masters, and Bakugan. Only ones I feel should have never made it out there, because Duel Masters and Bakugan were made for merchandising, and Sonic X was not faithful to Sonic. (I.E. Sega added Chris, Cosmo, and the robots, then destroyed the story.)

You honestly can't say that DBZ should never have been made. It is actually what made alot of my generation of anime fans well...anime fans. Alot of the shows that most people can't stand are what I like to call gateway anime. They take people who may not really be into anime and draw them into one show. They start to watch that show regularly and eventually they decide they want to find more like it and then the ball starts rolling down the hill to otakudom.

Believe me I bet most people that started being an anime fan within the last say 10 to 15 years can attribute one of the following anime:

Dragonball/Z/GT

Sailormoon and all of it's initials

Yu Yu Hakusho

Tenchi Muyo and it's weird spinoffs

Inu Yasha

Yugioh

Pokemon

Digimon

Bleach

Naruto

Cowboy Bebop

Gundam Wing

These are the main series that played in america that I believe really kicked people over to anime. They aren't in any order.

PS I think it is funny that my spell checker says that Pokemon was spelled correctly, but most of the others weren't.

Take out Bleach, Naruto, and Yugioh then add in Kyattō Ninden Teyandee (or better known as "Samurai Pizza Cats") and One Piece then you've got me. I thought Yugioh was stupid and my friend got me into the proper One Piece.

But I've mentioned the series I said that should never have seen the light of day, and I can't exactly find anything else that fits in that catagory.

Yeah, why so much hate on Dragonball? It contributed to anime entering mainstream.

Pilot Candidate - Jesus...that show just sucked beyond sucking. it was like...wow, so lame.

Half the Gundams - there were just far too many of these damn shows. I think there should be a law that instates only 3 Gundams for every decade.

DBZ - should have ended after Cell. The show really hit a wall after that and never recovered.

Naruto/Bleach - Already have been done (see: DBZ/Yu Yu Hakusho)

Rurouni Kenshin - you took away from Samurai X's greatness, you campy, bug-eyed sorry-excuse for an anime.

Pokemon after Brock left - really? you're gonna take away Brock? You suck, Pokemon. You suck hard.

Inuyasha - apologies to the Fly and most fangirls, but this show was horrid.

you could say the same thing about bleach and naruto.

those two shows turned my best friend into an otaku. she's thinking about coming to a con now.

Were you thinking I was hating on those two? I hope not. Because while I don't enjoy them they existed and are entertaining for several people. Heck, Naruto contributed to make more new anime fans.

As of right now I think One Piece is going to have to run into my list of shows that should not exist. I will say, however, that I have not given it much of a chance. That being said if it is indeed worth watching, then someone should be able to make a formidable argument against it making my list, ne? :)

As of right now I think One Piece is going to have to run into my list of shows that should not exist. I will say, however, that I have not given it much of a chance. That being said if it is indeed worth watching, then someone should be able to make a formidable argument against it making my list, ne? :D
As of right now I think One Piece is going to have to run into my list of shows that should not exist. I will say, however, that I have not given it much of a chance. That being said if it is indeed worth watching, then someone should be able to make a formidable argument against it making my list, ne? :D

Considering One Piece is my favorite series, I'd be honored to convince you otherwise. However it should best be noted that other people are able to dive into this topic better than I can. More than one fan has more than one view on how One Piece is not only a great series. (but to some, the best series)

First I'd say that the characters more or less speak volumes within the realm of how the series has its merits. They all had in some way shape or form some tragedy that in turn shapes them into the people they are, but they literally tug at your heartstrings.

Secondly you literally never know what will happen next aside from some classic cliches. Even then, it gets hard to predict the whole direction and you can be literally on the edge of your seat to know what happens next.

Another fan could pick off where I left off.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot one. Dragonball GT. WTF was that? Seriously...

Why all the hate for Naruto? It really gets into some serious themes, especially in Shippuden. Disliking a series just because its popular is just as dumb as liking it just because its popular.

ok I'm gonna say this about Dragonball GT, it was done by COLLEGE kids and only the first half was bad the second half where Goku goes SSJ4 was not bad.

As for another show that shouldn't be.... ANY anime that NEVER went past 1 or even 2 episodes... They get ya hooked and then poof nothin new to keep you watching.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot two that I didn't think of in my first post.

1. Rizelmine (I think that's the spelling) - This anime was super cute and stuff, got me all hooked into it. I mean, it was an interesting take on the 'arranged marriage' plotline in my opinion. But then it began to go into second season. And it took a sharp turn into more adult themes and became borderline hentai. You could try and avoid second season and just watch the innocent little first season, but if you really get into the anime then you can't escape - first season has a cliffhanger at the end.

2. FLCL (Or Fooly Cooly) - ...seriously, why is everyone such a fan of it? The whole plot was completely just jibberish to me. Although I did get some laughs from it (That's a good part of FLCL I won't deny), I just...couldn't...understand it! Then when I tried to read the manga with hopes of things being cleared up, it was the same problem!

2. FLCL (Or Fooly Cooly) - ...seriously, why is everyone such a fan of it? The whole plot was completely just jibberish to me. Although I did get some laughs from it (That's a good part of FLCL I won't deny), I just...couldn't...understand it! Then when I tried to read the manga with hopes of things being cleared up, it was the same problem!

You have to look more into the series than what is just on the outer skirts. The story is more about a young boy's coming of age. If you read into all of the sub-levels of the anime you can really see how great it is. But then it is also pretty good as just mindless entertainment if you just look at the top layer.

I honestly don't know of any anime that I would consider should never have been made. Each one I have seen I can see a specific group of people that it is targeted for and while I may not like the series I can usually find a couple of people that do love the series. And if I can find a few people then I know there is probly thousands more that love the series as well.

But I tend to look at anime more towards a producer's point of view. Sad thing about studying film and such.

Although there is one that I hate with a passion so I guess in a way I wish it was never made, but sadly it was and is popular.

That would be Shin-chan.

Edited by Jhawk
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't believe someone mentioned Gurren Lagann. That makes my brain hurt in ways that it hasn't since... since...

Since I last watched Gurren Lagann XD

To all those who thought that DBZ should have ended after Cell, Akira Toriyama, the creator, thought so too, but had a hard time turning down the money he was offered to continue it.

I want to see FLCL. I've heard a lot of (mostly bad) things about it. I just love the other two things that GAINAX put out so much (Gurren Lagann and Evangelion) that I can't imagine myself not enjoying it.

Yugioh started out as something truly neat, before all the card game crud was made the focus. Ever since Yugi's story was completed, I cannot see the series as anything more than an attempt to continue to sell cards.

The card game is a good one, though.

I agree on people hating Naruto and DBZ and the like over their popularity. It seems that a lot of older otaku decide that they cannot enjoy what most 12 y/o kids like, regardless of quality. Yeah, DBZ dragged on in some parts. Yeah, voices in Naruto's dub can be irritating. But as others have said, these things are popular for a reason. Things don't get THAT popular without some reason. To hate on them irrationally over their popularity is more immature than the 12 y/os you are trying to distance yourself from, IMO.

/rant off

Everyone is due their own opinion, though, and I dislike no one over theirs.

Even if that Gurren Lagann hater is WRONG! =P

• 2 weeks later...

1. Samurai Gun

2. Excel Saga

3. Bakyugan (my nephews turn it on and I walk out of the room to the glow of my friendly computer)

4. Poni Poni Poemi

5. Blood: The Last Vampire (I am still waiting on my return of 1 hour of lifetime)

6. Milkchan (Once again still waiting on my 1/2 hour of lifetime return)

7. Yu-Gi-Oh! (not bad if you played the card game also)

8. Bo-Bo-bobobobobobobo or whatever the heck it is called

Yea thats my list I have watched a lot of anime and these are most of the shows I wish we could uninvent but the world only turns in one direction.

I think I have a winner here:

He is My Master. Ugh. Yeesh. The title says it all. I felt like I needed to scrub away the filth of misogyny for hours after that one. I know that Anime isn't known for it's progressive attitude towards women but the whole series was an experiment in inventing new ways to make rape, molestation and pedophilia seem harmless and flattering. And it lasted for 12 episodes >.<

There isn't much anime I can say I actually hated.

I didn't care for some, Excel Saga is one. It was ok the first time, but anything more just made me feel like I was watching one of those teen high school drama movies.

Yaoi... heh such a long discussion could be held about Yaoi.

Yaoi... heh such a long discussion could be held about Yaoi.

There's only two types of Yaoi.

One type has a great story and has depth. Basically to the point where you could take out the hom osexual romance and it'd still be a great anime.

Then the other is where the whole plot and draw to the story is from the boy on boy action. Typically made specifically for fangirls.

Edited by MrBlinker

I'd say Gundam Seed, just because I don't think there was really any need to remake the original Gundam with the Wing boys thrown in.

And Gundam Seed Destiny, because there was even less of a reason to remake Zeta Gundam with the Wing boys thrown in.

And Gundam 00 because...well, just because its garbage.