Madhouse doing an opening animation for Otakon?

I've been hearing that Madhouse is helping out with an Otakon intro this year. Just wondering if what I've been hearing is true.

This could be quite FRIGGIN'AWESOME interesting. :]

Yes it is true.

You can read about our announcement at TAF regarding this here.

I think this is really neat because it's sorta like a limited edition animation that you can only see at otakon if you come to the opening ceremony. i have never gone to the opening ceremony and this will definately make me put an effort into going now.

I think this is really neat because it's sorta like a limited edition animation that you can only see at otakon if you come to the opening ceremony. i have never gone to the opening ceremony and this will definately make me put an effort into going now.
allegedly, it will be used before the con

The plans are to show portions of it before the convention, since it is for promotional purposes after all.

Unfortunately I can't say where at this point, because I really don't know.

Depending on what's delivered when, I'm hoping we'll have some stuff to show beforehand; I'm hoping to get enough together to use in a TV spot sometime in June. And I'm hoping to post a sneak preview or two...as stuff becomes available. You know, like a little teaser with some of the storyboard...

Speaking of which, time to follow up with them regarding progress...

I would hope it would also get passed around online sites like revver and youtube to help drum up buzz.

We've specifically tried to build something that we could re-use from year to year. It's sort of meant to be modular, so that we could use parts as needed.

I'm hoping to air it in the Baltimore/DC/Philly corridor, where the majority of our attendees are likely to see it, but also considering other possibilities (such as Cartoon Network) with broader east coast reach. We'll probably post an alternate version of it on the web. I'm hoping the full thing will debut at Otakon's opening ceremonies this year.

We've specifically tried to build something that we could re-use from year to year. It's sort of meant to be modular, so that we could use parts as needed.

I'm hoping to air it in the Baltimore/DC/Philly corridor, where the majority of our attendees are likely to see it, but also considering other possibilities (such as Cartoon Network) with broader east coast reach. We'll probably post an alternate version of it on the web. I'm hoping the full thing will debut at Otakon's opening ceremonies this year.

This is such a good idea..... but when you say this video will show before the con, does that mean it'll show on thursday or early friday morning? I was thinking this would show for the opening ceremony...

And it would be great to see this on TV - especially cartoon network. I can see that as being very sucessful and pulling in more people to the con.

Okay, go back up and read again. See? The "full thing will debut at Otakon's opening ceremonies"? What I"m hoping is that we'll use *some* of it in commercials, but the only place to see the entire thing will be at Opening Ceremonies.

That's assuming it's all ready by then! B)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh gosh! A Commercial for Otakon!!!

Maybe you should also consider running it a few times on Sci-Fi... Ani-mondays! :)

We are looking at airing the spots -- if they're ready -- during Adult Swim, Ani-mondays, and Toonami. The tricky thing is that the commercial isn't quite done; we may have to go with a slightly different idea for the TV spot. And there's only so much money available.

We are looking at airing the spots -- if they're ready -- during Adult Swim, Ani-mondays, and Toonami. The tricky thing is that the commercial isn't quite done; we may have to go with a slightly different idea for the TV spot. And there's only so much money available.

Isn't this very expensive?

Edited by tstidm1

Wow, this is so freakin' awesome!!!! I hope everything will work out so I can see a Otakon commercial with some of the animation from Madhouse in it on Adult Swim. I certainly hope that I can attend Otakon this year, I don't know if I'll be able to because I am still in a program that is helping me with my disability and getting a job. If I'm not able to attend this year, I hope I'll be able to attend Otakon next year (2009, hope that it will still be in Baltimore) to see the full thing.

Hmmm...as I have satellite (directtv) and not cable (which is why I also don't get any good anime networks -_-) I'll have to be sure to catch the opening ceremonies so I'll see the whole thing.

• 2 months later...

It looks great so far from what the sketches are. I flipped out when i saw the page about otakon in shonen jump. So if its on tv i'll prob be like yay im going im goin! *dancin because of the thought of it*

Its almost aug hope everythings going well!

allegedly, it will be used before the con

The plans are to show portions of it before the convention, since it is for promotional purposes after all.

Unfortunately I can't say where at this point, because I really don't know.

Hello, is there any updates to this? I'm very curious about the opening animation and would love to see some kind of a sneak peek before the con (2 weeks away!)

I sent an update to our webmaster, but it hasn't gone up yet. I have three more "snapshots" to post: a scan of one key cel, another cel as interpreted for the timing animatic, and one color shot.

I can't begin to tell you how fulfilling this has been for me, personally -- and when I showed the rough cut to the staff at our Panic Meeting, it got the laughs in all the right places. I really think people will dig it. ^_^

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.