I've always appreciated AMVs but never thought I could make one...but I have movie editing software on my new laptop and I thought it'd be really fun to give it a try and see how it turns out. If I think it's all right, I'd love to enter it in the AMV contest.

I have a song idea and an anime in mind, the entire series I own outright so getting footage won't be a problem B)

Any advice for a newcomer thinking about throwing her hat with cat ears into the ring? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated to help me decide whether or not I'm ready to enter. Thanks everyone!

i have made a few amv's myself, you kinda just gotta let the music and anime connect and then just make an mental image of what you want the video to look like, depends on which editing software you have too. Some are better than others. I got one of mine into the contest Last year at otakon so i was extremely exicted when i learned that but you just gotta let the music and anime do the talking as they would say and just go for it.

I've always appreciated AMVs but never thought I could make one...but I have movie editing software on my new laptop and I thought it'd be really fun to give it a try and see how it turns out. If I think it's all right, I'd love to enter it in the AMV contest.

I have a song idea and an anime in mind, the entire series I own outright so getting footage won't be a problem :blush:

Any advice for a newcomer thinking about throwing her hat with cat ears into the ring? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated to help me decide whether or not I'm ready to enter. Thanks everyone!

Edited by hackerzc

Wow! Thanks so much to both of you! You've both given me the nudge I need to really go for it and give this a shot!

I would be happy just to see my submission get in, I don't need to win anything! This is just something I've always wanted to try and something I've always wanted to channel my creative energy into. I'm an extremely creative person so I'm always looking for new outlets. And I agree that art isn't "right" or "wrong", it can't be. That's one universal truth to be sure.

I already can see my idea for my video running through my head, so I'm going to give it my all and make something I can be proud of and if only one person sees it and enjoys it, then I'll be happy my work made someone else happy! Thanks again to you both!

I'm always open to different opinions and suggestions too so I hope everyone will share their past experiences with me here, I really think sharing will help me better understand what I'm about to undertake :blush:

Yea I agree with everyone else, it really is about having fun with the anime and with the people that you show it to. I can tell ya I have met a couple of my fans in real life and when a total stranger turns around and says they love this one video and it always cuz them to cry, laugh, have a good day, etc. You really do get a good feeling about what you do and makes you want to do it more and more.

Also I do the mental storyboarding thing also if it looks awesome in your head and you really enjoy it then make it and push it out the door cuz more then likely just about everyone else will like it.

If you enter in the contest this year, good luck to ya.

Even though it's so large, I think Otakon is a great first contest. I've had vids in the main contest and in the overflow but I've never attended Otakon and had a vid in the main contest in the same year. When I attend, it's in the overflow. (Hopefully this will be the year I change that. It's been a while since I've gone and I'm better than I was. *crosses fingers*)

Even if your video is shown on the overflow tapes, those rooms have been PACKED in previous years. So you still get to experience things like seeing your video on a big screen and audience reaction without the added pressure of competing. Competing is fun too. But if you don't make it to the finals it's not the end of the world. It's still a good experience. :P

But 150% agree with what everyone else said. You have to have fun with it. :D

Even though it's so large, I think Otakon is a great first contest. I've had vids in the main contest and in the overflow but I've never attended Otakon and had a vid in the main contest in the same year. When I attend, it's in the overflow. (Hopefully this will be the year I change that. It's been a while since I've gone and I'm better than I was. *crosses fingers*)

Even if your video is shown on the overflow tapes, those rooms have been PACKED in previous years. So you still get to experience things like seeing your video on a big screen and audience reaction without the added pressure of competing. Competing is fun too. But if you don't make it to the finals it's not the end of the world. It's still a good experience. :)

But 150% agree with what everyone else said. You have to have fun with it. :)

I agree. All good points hackerzc. Have fun, try your best and if you're proud of it, enter it in the contest!

The contests over the years have become competitive. Being on both sides of the fence someone who helps run these type of contests and someone who has entered, competed and even won awards... people sometimes put too much of their ego and pride on the line for a little recognition.

Stay grounded, have fun and participate. I think John explains it well. Follow his advice, it's worth a read at the very least.