Okay, so this year I've finally gotten off my duff and decided to jump into the AMV world with a video I plan to submit to Otakon this year. Looking at the entry form though, a question arises in my head.

What category do I submit my video for?

I realized that the video I'm doing is a bit of a blend between multiple categories. It's got some definite drama, it's got romantic themes, it's even a little funny at times, and music is certainly upbeat, but all that makes it hard to classify as I plan to write up an entry form. With that in mind, does anybody have a more elaborate definition of what each category usually entails?

If you don't know where your video should be you can let the judges place it for you. Just check off "decide for me", I haven't looked at the entry form for this year yet but there's usually an option like this. Although you may not like which category they put you in.

Okay, so this year I've finally gotten off my duff and decided to jump into the AMV world with a video I plan to submit to Otakon this year. Looking at the entry form though, a question arises in my head.

What category do I submit my video for?

I realized that the video I'm doing is a bit of a blend between multiple categories. It's got some definite drama, it's got romantic themes, it's even a little funny at times, and music is certainly upbeat, but all that makes it hard to classify as I plan to write up an entry form. With that in mind, does anybody have a more elaborate definition of what each category usually entails?

As a creator I've struggled with this myself. ...but also being someone who judges these contests... I always go with how it most feels (throughout the video)...

• if it feels angry (because it's angry, not because you hate the video for some innocuous reason); it's drama

• if it makes you sad; it's sentimental

• if it's romantic... and sad it's romantic/sentimental

• if it's fast paced, has violence and not very happy; it's action

• if it's medium to fast paced and some form of happy then it's upbeat

...the list can go on... mainly think about your intention and see how it makes others feel (emotionally). If you're still having trouble, ask trustworthy friends who you don't share your exact same interests to look at it and let them help you make a decision.

Generally when we run the screenings we prefer people who don't all share the same interests or perspectives. This gives us a much better measuring guide.

Ultimately as AMV staff we will assemble the best contest we can, given the entries, with the best balance in each category. Sometimes this requires to move videos around into better placed categories.

I hope this helps and isn't too confusing.