Hey, I'm relatively new to cosplay, and I've never done a contest before, so I was wondering:

For a first timer, would it be better to do the costume hall contest or the masquerade? I know what I would do for either one, but I'm only going to be able to put together one costume, so I can only do one thing. Also, I'm not sure where I should register for the hall contest (I'm aware of reg for masq).

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

:ph34r:

Hey, I'm relatively new to cosplay, and I've never done a contest before, so I was wondering:

For a first timer, would it be better to do the costume hall contest or the masquerade? I know what I would do for either one, but I'm only going to be able to put together one costume, so I can only do one thing. Also, I'm not sure where I should register for the hall contest (I'm aware of reg for masq).

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

^_^

Just had another thought...in the masquerade, do you have to do a skit? I mean, I know you have to perform something, but can you like dance to a song or something? Like I would bring a cd with the audio and dance to it on stage or something like that?

Thanks!

-_-

Just had another thought...in the masquerade, do you have to do a skit? I mean, I know you have to perform something, but can you like dance to a song or something? Like I would bring a cd with the audio and dance to it on stage or something like that?

That is considered a skit as well. Everyone who is considering performing at the Masquerade is highly encouraged to read the Masquerade rules and regulations. You'll find out more about what is and isn't allowed.

I did read the information about the Masquerade rules and regs, but I'm really lost anyway. (Complete newbie, as if it weren't obvious). Can we cosplay all three days? How do you sign up for the Fashion Show and Cosplay Contest? And what, exactly, is the Masquerade? Sorry if the answers are obvious, but I can't seem to find them. :lol:

Masquerade is an event that can be watched by all attendees (held in the First Mariner Arena this year) that contains skits, performances, and walk-ons of people in costume. All participants are judged by a panel of judges and can win awards for their performance and costume.

The Hall Costume Contest is a contest for costume creation alone (no performance is included in the scoring). Judging is held in a private room, so the general public cannot observe what questions are asked, etc. There are technically 2 Hall Costume Contests, one on Friday and one on Saturday, and you can only enter one day. They are essentially the same thing, except that if you enter on Saturday, you cannot enter the Masquerade and you must be part of the Hall Costume Contest Fashion Show. This means that basically you have to attend the Masquerade (you get preferred seating to watch most of it), and during the judging intermission, you get to walk across the stage and show off your costume.

Both contests have pre-registration prior to the convention. The Hall Costume Contest usually fills some extra slots at the convention as well, but Masquerade does not (it is pre-registration only).

In any case, you can cosplay at any time while you are in the convention, you don't need to sign up for anything just to wander the halls in costume.

Don't panic if you didn't get it immediately after! You won't get the confirmation emails for a bit yet. I'm still getting entries sorted--there was quite a rush right after it went up.

A general rule of thumb will be to expect the email within a week, and not to panic unless you haven't received some form of contact within two.

Say you have a costume under construction, however its ETC (estimated time of completion =P) is unsure. Would it still be a good idea to Pre-reg for the Hall costume contest, even if there is a possibility of the costume not being finished on time?

Yes, it is a good idea to go ahead and pre-reg for the contest. If you don't finish the costume, you can cancel your registration or enter a different costume by contacting the Hall Coordinator prior to the convention. Besides, a lot can happen in 2 months and getting in your pre-registration now can save some trouble later.

Two other Hall Costume Contest questions:

I'm finding the pre-registration form a bit confusing.

My group has four 'models', three of which created their own costumes (the fourth was created by another girl in the group, and is just modeling) so we're underneath the group registration limit that I see posted with the rules.

But when I look at the form for pre-registration, I'm unsure how to enter all of our information into the forms, specifically the sections "characters portrayed", "costume designer and/or maker", and the one marked "group leaders/designers only".

(I'm also assuming that my own information would fill in the name/address/ect forms; I'm organizing our group for this)

I have an idea on what to put in the "characters portrayed" field (just separating all four costumes with semicolons), but with multiple costume designer/makers, I'm completely lost on the other two.

Also:

Do all members have to be present for pre-registration check-in, or just the one who's personal information was entered on the form?

(please forgive me if I overlooked this question being covered in the Hall Costume Contest rules, I thought I read them thoroughly...)

Did confirmation emails start going out for the HCC? I filled out the form the first day it went up, and I hadn't heard anything, but my friend who applied several days afterward said she already got her confirmation. Just nervous that my application got lost again.

Vandelesca, the easiest way for you to portray all of that information is to do something like:

"characters portrayed" = your costume's character

"costume designer and/or maker" = the person who actually made the costume that you will be wearing (if it's you, then just write "me")

"group leaders/designers only" = the names of all other people in your group, and note that you are the leader

Remember that each member of your group should fill out a separate form in the same manner (so we have all necessary information for all participants), and have them note that they are part of your group in the "group leaders/designers only" field.

Did confirmation emails start going out for the HCC? I filled out the form the first day it went up, and I hadn't heard anything, but my friend who applied several days afterward said she already got her confirmation. Just nervous that my application got lost again.
Don't panic if you didn't get it immediately after! You won't get the confirmation emails for a bit yet. I'm still getting entries sorted--there was quite a rush right after it went up.

A general rule of thumb will be to expect the email within a week, and not to panic unless you haven't received some form of contact within two.