Strictness of no-swearing rule?

I uploaded my video by FTP, and it has one swear (the F word) in it, but no other swears. How strict are they about this? Do they just not want filthy songs, or do they really just not allow any foul language at all? The song I used is definitely rated PG-13, but I wouldn't say R at all.

Also, when do you know if your video qualifies or not? After June 7th? I'd love to know before then, because I could easily censor the F word out of the video. Have they ever censored before? I've never entered an AMV into a contest before, so I'm really nervous. I'm really proud of the video and if there's any way I can salvage it, I'd love to.

I uploaded my video by FTP, and it has one swear (the F word) in it, but no other swears. How strict are they about this? Do they just not want filthy songs, or do they really just not allow any foul language at all? The song I used is definitely rated PG-13, but I wouldn't say R at all.

Also, when do you know if your video qualifies or not? After June 7th? I'd love to know before then, because I could easily censor the F word out of the video. Have they ever censored before? I've never entered an AMV into a contest before, so I'm really nervous. I'm really proud of the video and if there's any way I can salvage it, I'd love to.

"No swearing" pretty much has to be strictest on words you can't say on television. I think you can pretty much rule out any F-word usage in anything that is part of the AMV contest or other official Otakon event that isn't specifically marked as "Adult" -- that word is never going to pass muster for general audience programming.

"No swearing" pretty much has to be strictest on words you can't say on television. I think you can pretty much rule out any F-word usage in anything that is part of the AMV contest or other official Otakon event that isn't specifically marked as "Adult" -- that word is never going to pass muster for general audience programming.
Edited by currymuttonpizza

Please note that the AMV coordinator's ruling will obviously be the important one -- my comment about the F-word is more of a general rule for the con, and for how such things are GENERALLY evaluated.

After all, the rule is there for a reason, and it applies for most public entertainment. But there has also been a gradual change in acceptability of certain words over the past 20 years. I think the F-word still crosses the line for most people, though.

I would suggest you contact the coordinator directly for a more specific ruling in your case. I hadn't noticed that you'd already submitted it.

Please note that the AMV coordinator's ruling will obviously be the important one -- my comment about the F-word is more of a general rule for the con, and for how such things are GENERALLY evaluated.

After all, the rule is there for a reason, and it applies for most public entertainment. But there has also been a gradual change in acceptability of certain words over the past 20 years. I think the F-word still crosses the line for most people, though.

I would suggest you contact the coordinator directly for a more specific ruling in your case. I hadn't noticed that you'd already submitted it.

Just to prevent any unnecessary advice - I brought it up with the AMV Contest Coordinator, and the problem has been resolved. All I need to do is add bleeps. Thanks for the help!
Edited by SecondChild
Just to prevent any unnecessary advice - I brought it up with the AMV Contest Coordinator, and the problem has been resolved. All I need to do is add bleeps. Thanks for the help!

A little advice - you may want to consider muting instead of beeping. Beeping is very distracting (so is muting, but not as much so, in my opinion - this is why it is now much more common to hear mutes and cut rather than beeps in music recordings) in a musical context. Beeps usually draw a laugh, as they tend to be linked to comedy in most people's minds. It would work better in a fan parody. Just my opinion.