Question about Hall Costume Contest skill levels

I have a question regarding how "sandbagging" is determined in the hall cosplay contest. I can count the number of times I've competed on one hand; none of which I have won an award at. Technically, that would put me in the novice category which is what I was going to register in. However, I have been cosplaying for around 7 years so I'm not a novice in that respect. Would that be considered a form of sandbagging? I just don't want to be asked how long I've been cosplaying during my judging time and when I give my answer have them think I don't belong in the novice category and disqualify me. Clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I've moved your post to its own thread here, so it is easier to find and get answered.

Unfortunately, I do not know the answers to your questions, so I will see if I can get the contest coordinator to check your post.

@ Icey -

The rules state the various qualifications for different divisions:

"Novice - contestants who have won zero major cosplay awards at any convention

Journeyman - contestants who have won less than four major cosplay awards at any convention

Craftsman - contestants who have won four or more major cosplay awards at any convention "

It doesn't say anything about how many years you've been cosplaying or how many costumes you've made. "Sandbagging" would be better defined as someone who has won several awards, let's say 5 First Place and Best in Shows, trying to compete as a Journeyman. The rules clearly state that someone winning 5 major awards should be considered a Craftsman, so to have them enter as a Journeyman is breaking the rules and competing unfairly in order to win an award (aka, sandbagging).

So, to agree with you, you would be considered a Novice, having won no awards so far. However, should you like to compete as a Journeyman for all your years' experience at cosplaying, you are more than welcome to ^.^

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Only reason I asked was because I saw this in the FAQ: "Sandbagging is defined as knowingly entering at a skill or award level lower than your own." So I figured I'd double check before I registered. :D

Also to clarify, you would be encouraged to compete at a higher level. The awards system is an ICG guideline, and should be taken as just that. Novice is the most entered category at Otakon, and a good deal of the entrants really are just starting out. To quote the FAQ :

"However, you may enter at