when you go to otakon i must say you need to bring aloooot of things with you, but wat is the one thing you have to stock up on the most. When i go my bag is full of glow sticks for the rave :D

Water and Gatorade are two things I take, as well as money set aside just for food. A bag of some sort is also a good idea and some sort of folder for any prints and art you may buy to protect against folding and other damage. Some people may also want to consider carrying around some extra deoderant or body spray because we all agree, no one wants to be stuck next to the person with otaku-funk.

A bottle for water, something healthy to snack on, lots of money for the DR and Alley, a few mangas to read in the downtime, and a walkie since cellphones are next to useless inside the BCC. And plenty of SD memory for my camera. ^^

All I need is enough food and drink in the tank and a predetermined amount of $$$ in the Otafund and I'm ready to go! One thing I do recommend to all of you is patience. One of the things I avoided at prior Otakons (since the tenth anniversary Otakon) is waiting in the lines of the Dealer's Room, The Alley, and the Gaming Hall, mainly because there's so much other things to look at as well as all the cosplayers/crossplayers roaming around, and I don't need to spend hours doing nothing in the morning.

Uguu.

Money. ._. And from what i've read, water is generally considered a good idea.

One of the things I avoided at prior Otakons (since the tenth anniversary Otakon) is waiting in the lines of the Dealer's Room, The Alley, and the Gaming Hall, mainly because there's so much other things to look at as well as all the cosplayers/crossplayers roaming around, and I don't need to spend hours doing nothing in the morning
Edited by Duelistbluerose

I'm surprised no one's mentioned.. SLEEP

Oh wait, Meredith did. ><;

Um.. one thing I forgot last year was a sewing kit. You never know when you'll have those cosplay emergencies.

Edited by Otaku Ru

I neeeeed money, gatorade, and a camera =D

I'm surprised the consesus around here is to complain about people being smelly! Otaku is a counter culture, just accept people sheesh! If you go to any gathering of punk rockers there will be tons of dirty crusty people all accepting one another. Why couldn't this counter culture be the same?

Being dirty is not part of being an Asian culture fan as far as I am concerned. Stereotyping people even if you throw yourself inside of it is just wrong. Being clean and taking care of the way you look will never interfere with your fandom. At least think about the guests you are going to meet. They cross the world to meet and greet people that admire their work not to smell them from the plane. ^_^

~Topic (what you need for con. If you want to discuss con hygiene for some odd reason, move it to General Chit Chat)

And if we are doing more then one item we need, I also need the following:

1. Shower supplies

2. My Iphone

3. My DS

4. Lots of moisturizer

5. Lots of clothes

and a walkie since cellphones are next to useless inside the BCC. And plenty of SD memory for my camera. ^^

you werent able to get a signal in the BCC? i found that my cell worked just fine - but i wasn't able to hear it half the time when someone would call me.

andi agree with the memory cards for the camera.... i took loads of pics but had to delete some for more room.

Pocky! Btw where in DC can I buy pocky? not the simple chocolate but other flavors? or in baltimore? I want to bring snacks to my trips around DC ^^. (me being a tourist and all that ._.U)

Anyways, things I absolutely neeeed for Otakon, well, in no particular order:

Sleep, Pepsi, water bottle, clothes, beach towel for my hair, my own pillow, an umbrella, cell phone charger, comfortable sneakers, camera with film & batteries, money, etc, etc...

Oh wait, I almost forgot one, I'll gladly be the 1st to say it - I neeeed My Sanity!! :lol:

Things I need-

- Toiletries

- Water. LOTS OF FREAKING WATER. I'm not allowed to dehydrate anymore. ^^;

- Coffee. Running around all day requires me to be caffeinated from 7 am - at least 11 pm.

- Sneakers. Wearing any other shoes would be sabotaging myself for sidewalk kamikaze.

- Money. Though, I got to say, I've actually managed to make $50-110 stretch from Thurs - Mon of Otakon. But I'd this year to be the first in four years to NOT have to do that budget from hell. It took a looooooooot of making food stretch.

- Cell phone and charger.

- The basic working knowledge of what is around the BCC and a Con-Schedule/Map.

- Sesame Ginger Chicken Dumplings from California Pizza Kitchen. Because damn they are goooood and under $6...and goooood.

- Advil. Just in case I get staffing aches/heat migraine/or others need it.

- Tees and tanks/shorts/jeans. I learned I don't need to pack pjs, I can more or less sleep in my clothes and change the next day. Less to pack.

Money is a given.

A good backpack. Personally I recommend an single strap with a quick release, especially if you are in costume.

A water bottle of some-sort.

A meet up place for when you get separated. Phones and walkies are not 100% reliable in the BCC.

A safe way to ship all your bling back home.

- Duct tape. You would be surprised at how many uses duct tape can have... basically anywhere, including at cons. One of the many uses include improptu cosplay adjustment. Until I got hold of some sewing supplies, I had half of my poor Hinata jacket held together with duct tape due to some unintentional abuse from the night before.

- Pens + paper. I'm the type who likes to document my adventures, including autographs, random drawings / journal entries, etc.

- Two wallets. I keep food money in one wallet and con money in the other to make DAMN certain that I don't "accidentally" spend my food money on that Gravitation bag. Not that I would know from experience or anything...

- Glow sticks. I've been collecting up glow sticks since November. I'm up to about 30. I'm tempted to sell some... hehehe. For some reason, many Giants and Rite Aids that I've been to recently have had glow sticks. I'm certainly not complaining. Although I've been trying really hard not to bring any of them down to Paradox / Sonar...

- Sunglasses. I manage to lose about 10 pairs of sunglasses in a summer. My eyes are really light sensitive, and I spend a lot of time walking around Harborplace, so I really do need those. I don't like being blind at Otakon.

- Rock Stars. Instant energy!!

Pocky! Btw where in DC can I buy pocky? not the simple chocolate but other flavors? or in baltimore? I want to bring snacks to my trips around DC ^^. (me being a tourist and all that ._.U)
  • Food. I've eaten so much fast food in my life that I really need to start eating better instead of grabbing junk around the con.
  • Some sort of handheld video game system. If I dig through my old boxes I may be able to dust off a gameboy with pokemon... which means I'm overdue for an upgrade.
  • Music. Mandatory.
  • A camera this year! I've never taken pics at Otakon before, not really sure why.
  • Brand new socks. There's nothing in the world quite like them.
  • Movies, for late night viewing.
  • Sunglasses. Summer is bright.

i dont know of any places in dc that sells it >< can try a safeway they usually sell them but i do know places in baltimore =D

Money! And a good diet, no starving one's self on canned spaghetti-os and poptarts, becasue otherwise I'd be dead by 11PM.

Also maybe stock up on nose plugs for the fart clouds?

i dont know of any places in dc that sells it >< can try a safeway they usually sell them but i do know places in baltimore =D

Money! And a good diet, no starving one's self on canned spaghetti-os and poptarts, becasue otherwise I'd be dead by 11PM.

Also maybe stock up on nose plugs for the fart clouds?

Nose plugs? you are joking right? (never been there so pardon my newbie questions)

Topic please (What you need to bring to con)....any further discussions about personal hygiene really needs to be taken to Chit Chat. It was already asked that that particular topic discussion to be moved there. Any more OT discussions about Otafunk in this thread will be deleted.

Glowsticks.

But not for the rave--depending on the kind of live shows we have, they're kind of a necessary piece. I think it'll be useful for the Jam Project show.

I guess I also think too much about how Japanese lives and American lives are different yet the same.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.