More Bad news about Eating. Suggest other places in the area to eat

Rita's is really really good. Water ice is an oxymoron though. For some reason thats really grating to me "Water ice". Why not just call it Rita's ice or Italian ice?

Edited by Confero
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a loop through downtown yesterday.

Without even truly looking hard, I found SIX MORE food places shuttered--one fire damage, one complete remodeling, one seemingly abruptly closed down, and three disappeared into the ether.

As I recall, at least half of those places were in past years' restaurant maps/articles.

Right now, I'm trying to find out how long the Cheesecake Factory has been there. It very well COULD be the next in line to flip its ten-year lease and walk out, unless Harborplace management has an attack of common sense regarding their rents.

question: do a lot of cosplayers go to the sit-down resturants around the inner harbor? i've always wondered that since in past otakons i would usually go to the food court in cosplay and thats basically were A LOT of cosplayers go - so much so that it's almost normal to the food venders to serve cosplayers. but i never cosplayed while going to a resturant - like cheesecake factory or whatever. would you even be allowed inside? are the resturants filled with costumes?
Rita's is really really good. Water ice is an oxymoron though. For some reason thats really grating to me "Water ice". Why not just call it Rita's ice or Italian ice?
Despite being over a year ago, I stand by my original assessment:

http://www.baltimorehealth.org/closures/February07.pdf

Actually, that's really not the cause in this case. (It are fact, I know because of my learnings.) Simple case of the lease coming up, as reported in various and sundry newspapers.

Right now, I'm trying to find out how long the Cheesecake Factory has been there. It very well COULD be the next in line to flip its ten-year lease and walk out, unless Harborplace management has an attack of common sense regarding their rents.
question: do a lot of cosplayers go to the sit-down resturants around the inner harbor? i've always wondered that since in past otakons i would usually go to the food court in cosplay and thats basically were A LOT of cosplayers go - so much so that it's almost normal to the food venders to serve cosplayers. but i never cosplayed while going to a resturant - like cheesecake factory or whatever. would you even be allowed inside? are the resturants filled with costumes?

Yes. I've seen a lot of cosplayers at the now defunct CPK, Unos, etc at Harbor Place sitting down and eating. I think Baltimore citizens are so used to the con after 15 years that it just is like for them "oh it's Otakon time again, eh?" I've gone with friends who were in cosplay to eat and they've never been turned away.

Some people do take initiative to change before dining, but I've never seen restaurants have a problem with it, and Otakon does provide them good business every year. Actually, most people are curious in a friendly way and a lot of times I see people give positive comments on the costumes rather than negative/criticism.

Now on the flipside, if your cosplay has props/is large/delicate/etc. I highly recommend changing before dining. Or the restaurant you're going to as ZGL points out.

When I go to Burke's, which is a more high-end nice place, I RARELY see Cosplayers eating there. So it's kind of a use good common sense thing. While tourist/citizens are curious, you also don't want to offput people dining at a fancy place.

and another point that just popped into my head...... it would be nice to have a PF Chiang's in the inner harbor. i love their food

Seeing as how Cheesecake Factory is extreamly popular around here (and so far is the only one in Baltimore, until the one in Towson opens up in the fall) I do not see them closing up shop anytime soon. Plus, CF is more "upscale" then most other restaurants that GGP has in their other malls.

I can't say "never", and as it turns out my good "mole" in Harborplace is now gone. But I can say for certain that one place that recently left (Capitol City Brewing Co.) was able to negotiate a lease extension that carried them to the end of baseball season, turning a ten-year lease to a 10.4 year lease. IF a place like CPK was intent on opening a new location but maintaining a presence in Baltimore until a new place opened, they could extend a lease until the new place is finished. Judging from usual business practices, I think CPK will stay alive through Otakon.

A blunt warning: In past years when there were far more options open, even the cheap eateries literally looked like a plague of locusts had eaten it to the walls, leaving behind dazed, shell-shocked staff, occasionally discovered in a fetal position whimpering. The guy from Otakon who used to take days off to warn the heck out of downtown eateries has a new job and can't do that this year. Sharp, on-the-ball places like Edo and Matsuri have already called in reinforcements. Places like McDonald's and California Tortilla WILL be caught with their pants down and/or reduced to rubble this year, trust me.

Just as an FYI for everyone, the thread about CPK closing has been merged with this one because they are both pretty much about the same topic of places to eat that are closing and recommending other places to go instead.

~Resume

and another point that just popped into my head...... it would be nice to have a PF Chiang's in the inner harbor. i love their food

There's a PF Chang's located at 600 E Pratt St.

White Marsh mall? that PF Chiang's has been there for awhile now. and there's also one in North Virgina, a few blocks from the ballston metro stop.

but I totally didnt know there was one in the inner harbor. i was looking for a place to have dinner sunday night after the con. so it's either there or cheesecake factory

Edited by Ultimecia029
White Marsh mall? that PF Chiang's has been there for awhile now. and there's also one in North Virgina, a few blocks from the ballston metro stop.

but I totally didnt know there was one in the inner harbor. i was looking for a place to have dinner sunday night after the con. so it's either there or cheesecake factory

Since Easy Wok and Zabi Zabi have both closed, does anyone know of any other non buffet places to get Chinese food during con? I'm trying to find some where that's cheap and fast that's not Subway,Mc-ED's or Five Guys.

...we usually eat at Burke's on Sunday.

ah Im thinking of White Flint mall.... nevermind :(

as much as i dont care for McDonalds that much, i did have a rather fun time eating breakfast there in cosplay.... since the entire place was filled with cosplayers. i might just go there anyway and then have some real food for dinner.

what's Burke's?

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but the list of Starbucks Coffee shops closing was released today and the closest one that is on that list is the one at the Harborplace (Light St. Pavilion). Otherwise, it's good that the Starbucks inside and outside Arundel Mills are not affected, because they're pretty busy all the time.

Edited by pioneerb
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but the list of Starbucks Coffee shops closing was released today and the closest one that is on that list is the one at the Harborplace (Light St. Pavilion). Otherwise, it's good that the Starbucks inside and outside Arundel Mills are not affected, because they're pretty busy all the time.

Like I mentioned, there's a Caribou Coffee at 1 North Charles - which is Charles and Fayette, and about a block or two from the Wyndham-that's-a-Sheraton-now and the Renaissance.

I was just wondering...I know there seems to be a lot of restraunts going away...

I wanted to make sure , are the old irish pub/bar grill kind of restraunts that are in front of/across from the convention center still there?

It's a tradition with my group that we always go there after getting our pre-registration things ~

Regarding the Starbucks, there's also another one right across the street from Harborplace on the second floor of the Gallery, which, insofar as I know, is still open. Small, but the baristas there are always nicer anyway. Quick like bunnies, too.

There is a Starbucks in the convention center by where Registration is usually. Also, I don't think Harborplace's Starbucks will close before September or October. They must give at least a month or two for a termination of the lease.

::slightly OT:: Actually, the Starbucks closing was a corporate thing that just coincides with things closing in Baltimore. Starbucks corporate decided to close 600 underperforming stores across the country. /OT

To recap in the quest for coffee:

Starbucks: Kiosk in the BCC, still one in the Raddison(?)

Caribou Coffee: 1 North Charles

Dunkin Donuts: Light Street near McDonalds (which sells coffee too)

As for Burkes, anyone who braves the Monte Cristo (or what I call the EPIC! Sandwhich) is my hero. They have a real good beef stew as well.

For a really comphrehensive guide to eateries and bars in the city, check out Metromix. Trust me I'm not spamming, it really is a useful guide especially if you're looking for a specific type of cuisine or price range.

Also, if you want to check out a good bar, I suggest The Windup Space on the corner of North Ave and Charles St. It's a bit of a hike from the harbor, you'll have to go up through Mt Vernon to get there, but once you do you'll be in the Station North Arts District where you can catch an indie flick at The Charles Theatre, go to Club Charles (infamous hipster hangout), Joe Squared (bar/pizza), Metro Gallery, etc. I only suggest the Windup because they have ridiculous drink specials every night, like three Nat Boh's for $2... it's unheard of.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to visit my fiance in Baltimore a month ago or so and I was really upset that Zabi Zabi was gone, I LOVED THAT PLACE.

I'll probably be hitting up Panera Bread since its awesome, and maybe even Cheesecake Factory because I LOVE THEIR FOOD TOO, lol.

There's also more food places over by the Pier 5 hotel like Houlihan's, another place I can't remember the name of, but there is some more food over there.

Edited by CCAmanda

As I was wandering around Baltimore a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that there was a new Subway being built near the California Tortilla. I wonder if it will be open in time for Otakon.

I wonder if they're deliberately going to open after Otakon. (To not scare away their workers.)

Is there any asian markets or grocery stores around Inner Harbor? My room has a full kitchen, and I rather cook than have to order fast food or go out.

There's a grocery store within close walking distance of the Baltimore Convention Center for anyone who wants to go to it during Otakon. It's a Super Fresh, located at 222 North Charles Street, here's directions to it: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...mp;t=h&z=17

Is there any asian markets or grocery stores around Inner Harbor? My room has a full kitchen, and I rather cook than have to order fast food or go out.

There's a grocery store within close walking distance of the Baltimore Convention Center for anyone who wants to go to it during Otakon. It's a Super Fresh, located at 222 North Charles Street, here's directions to it: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...mp;t=h&z=17

Thanks much! Thats really close to my hotel too, so I'll have to stop by there.

You're welcome! This is a brand new supermarket, opened in 2007 IIRC. I wonder if a lot of Otakon attendees will go to this supermarket for food and drinks this year.

2008 will be my first otakon, but from what friends have told me there is a subway like 3 blocks from the BCC. Sounds like a good lunch to me. Plus, get a $5 footlong, and save the other half for when you get hungry again 2 hours later like i do.

Guest bubbletea

Teavolve Cafe & Lounge is welcoming all Otakon attendees to Baltimore by offering a 10% discount off of any purchase; just bring your Otakon badge!

A great hang out alternative to the bars & we have the best Bubble Tea in the city. Check out our full menu: www.teavolve.com

Teavolve Cafe & Lounge

Harbor East

1401 Aliceanna St

Baltimore, MD

410-522-1907

Offer Valid Aug 8th-10th

"Flood of income from Otakon"?????? You're really joking, whether or not you realize it. Otakon's jam-packed schedule basically keeps most folks from taking the time to seek out a finer sit-down meal (or even a cup of coffee), and the Otakon membership seems by and large painfully resistant to spending any money outside the Dealers Room or Artists Alley.

I'm more worried now about how mobbed places will be getting food since we have Otakon and there's a baseball game this weekend too right? I bought snacks and some food so I don't starve but I guess the best thing to do is watch the times you decide to go get food.

Just slighty off topic, but since the Orioles will be playing a series this weekend, there will be a plethora of snack vendors on the streets outside Camden Yards. Those of you who don't want to pay the high prices for small chow may want to look into it as they try to price against ballpark prices, which we all know are outrageous.

I think Im just gonna go to the supermarket before i go down so i dont have to deal with the restaurants. Especially with all the places closing there is less places to eat.

There is also going to be other torist and there gonna eat up all the food so why get in line and expect wat you want when it wont be there.

Teavolve Cafe & Lounge is welcoming all Otakon attendees to Baltimore by offering a 10% discount off of any purchase; just bring your Otakon badge!

A great hang out alternative to the bars & we have the best Bubble Tea in the city. Check out our full menu: www.teavolve.com

Teavolve Cafe & Lounge

Harbor East

1401 Aliceanna St

Baltimore, MD

410-522-1907

Offer Valid Aug 8th-10th

I can vouch for Teavolve--they're fantastic! Very affordable and fun, and great people. It's a short cab ride or a long-ish walk (15 minutes or so for slowbies like me), but well worth it!

Guest TxdoHawk

My group brings lots of food with us (granola bars, ramen, breakfast cereal, etc.) but it's not Otakon without at least one trip to Angry Hate-filled Pizza (the pizza place in the little plaza across from the BCC). I'll probably stop at Subway too, for something resembling a decent meal.

Edited by TxdoHawk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.