Industry @ Otakon (was ADV at Otakon?)

Guest Adam

I've been reading some random forums and such, and I keep hearing that ADV hasn't made too many appearances at cons since their financial troubles began. This worries me a little bit because ADV is like, my favorite company and I also usually spend most of my time (and money) at their (or Best Buy's? .. whatever) area in the dealer's room. Anyone else concerned that they might be a no-show for regular con events or even in the dealer's room? D:

I saw the ADV table at Acen. They didn't have anybody around who could do a panel, so theirs was canceled.

No worries, though. If they hit any cons with panels, they're hitting Otakon and AX without a doubt.

I hope they do have a panel this year. I can't recall if it was last year or the year before (probably last year), but they had a great panel with an advance screening of Nerima Daikon Bros and it was The Awesome.

As I understand from sources of mine, ADV has 2 panels scheduled for the 'Expo, so I'm not worried about them showing up in Baltimore. Besides, Matt Greenfield is a native of this state.

I was wondering this myself, but Expo and Otakon are the two biggest anime cons in the country, so they will show up probably! We all know though Geneon/Central Park Media won

I was wondering this myself, but Expo and Otakon are the two biggest anime cons in the country, so they will show up probably! We all know though Geneon/Central Park Media won

Uuu, let's get back to the topic here. Anyway, there's a further complication now as their PiQ mag, the one that unfortunately replaced the Newtype USA mags, has shut down as of thi9s weekend. Quite unfortunate, and this will also affect just what ADV will do next in the coming weeks.

Alabaster: I'm with you on CPM, and the same could be said for ADV too. I just don't like how most fans and whatnot will immediately react in such way when [sample] announcement causes them grief.

We've confirmed that ADV will have "a bare bones" presence at Otakon this year. It's a shame; they've long been a strong presence here.

Funimation and Bandai will be the big presences in the exhibit halls this year. Viz and Tokyopop have pretty much pulled back to do little but comic book shows, but may have some presence.

I wonder if that means they'll have no dealer's room presence, but do a panel or two (maybe) or if they'll do no panels, but have at least have a table in the dealer's room..

It's ashame that ADV will only have a small presence there this year, they were one of my favorite booths in the DR, but I also look on the plus side of this that Funimation and Bandai are still going to make a big presence. What about Anime Works?

We've confirmed that ADV will have "a bare bones" presence at Otakon this year. It's a shame; they've long been a strong presence here.

Funimation and Bandai will be the big presences in the exhibit halls this year. Viz and Tokyopop have pretty much pulled back to do little but comic book shows, but may have some presence.

It's ashame that ADV will only have a small presence there this year, they were one of my favorite booths in the DR, but I also look on the plus side of this that Funimation and Bandai are still going to make a big presence. What about Anime Works?

i've noticed that Viz and tokyo pop don't have exhibits/tables in otakon DRs.... why is that? i know they're west coast companies but so is bandai and they come every year. and i remember Viz and Tokyo pop being in the DR back in 01 and 02 and giving away freebies - but in recently years they haven't come at all. why the change?

and i think bandai visual is going to disappear for the simple fact that their DVDs are too darn expensive

They folded Bandai Visual USA earlier this year -- they're being absorbed into Bandai USA by the end of the summer. But it probably has less to do with their costly DVDs (which are at least priced the same as they are in Japan) and more to do with consolidating distribution in the US. The majority of their output was high-end hi-def releases aimed at a very narrow market, featuring old-school releases remastered and aimed at the hardcore otaku. Pitching them at the "I want a season box set for under $50 and won't pay more than $15 for a movie" crowd wouldn't have been economically viable anyway.

Tokyopop and Viz have been concentrating their convention presence on comic shows (marketing to a new audience), but it's fair to say that we expect a little love from at least one of those companies this year. Not sure if it'll be a booth, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adam

Apparently, ADV doesn't have a dealer's room booth at Anime Expo. That kinda brings me down a bit thinking their bare bones otakon appearance won't be dealer's room, but something else. Oh well.. guess I'll be spending less money in the dealer's room this year.. :D

Apparently, ADV doesn't have a dealer's room booth at Anime Expo. That kinda brings me down a bit thinking their bare bones otakon appearance won't be dealer's room, but something else. Oh well.. guess I'll be spending less money in the dealer's room this year.. ^_^

Nope, they're at Expo (right inside) and they're surviving. They'll be at Otakon with plenty of product (good sales) and some pretty good announcements, or so I've been told by the guys who run it.

Check Anime News Network's coverage for details.

According to the panel video at ANN, the stuff they're holding back (new titles, new Japanese partners) is going to be announced at Otakon. They're "waiting for the blood to dry," they said.

Very glad to hear that ADV will be at Otakon this year with a lot of new announcements!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.