Parking Garages

Question

46 answers to this question

Parking in the garages/lots near the BCC will run you anywhere from $8 (<-- not a typo) to $30+ (<-- also not a typo). Most public lots tend to close around midnight, while hotel lots should be open later/24 hrs. Expect hotel garages to be more expensive than public ones.

http://www.baltimorecity.gov/government/pa...Garages_v_2.pdf

http://www.godowntownbaltimore.com/images/...ing_Web_Map.pdf

Some of them are monthly-only, but most offer daily parking as well. ^^ Not too sure on pricing, but at least the first lil' brochure lists some 24 hour ones...

I miss the little parking lot next to Afghan Kabob. Best value in con parking anywhere! $7-10 on weekdays, $5 on Saturday and Sunday. (I also miss Afghan Kabob, terribly.)... sadly, now that it's gone, I have no idea where I'll park. Too bad my job is no longer downtown. :(

Every year my group and I park at the same underground parking garage on Fayete street. It's $7/a day (Fri, Sat, Sun) and it's either 24 hours, or still closes pretty late (we usually leave around 12 without problems). It's in front of the Marriot hotel, which is next to the 1st Mariner Arena, which is only a few blocks from the convention center.

Every year my group and I park at the same underground parking garage on Fayete street. It's $7/a day (Fri, Sat, Sun) and it's either 24 hours, or still closes pretty late (we usually leave around 12 without problems). It's in front of the Marriot hotel, which is next to the 1st Mariner Arena, which is only a few blocks from the convention center.

I was just in downtown Baltimore tonight and the parking lot I parked my car in was $22 bucks for over three hours. I looked around at other lots while I was walking around the city, and most ranged from $18-25. Prices probably will rise though in the middle of the summer.

Is there a garage that we could just park all day and night? I'm planning on leaving my car in the garage and just hanging out in the con area? What garages do you suggest?

I know the 1st Mariner is usually 20$ per day, but it does lock down at some point. I think it reopens around 0530, but if your leaving the car until Sunday evening, it tends to be cheaper than the hotels, if you don't mind walking from your hotel. Some of the lots also offer special "Event Rates" that weekend.

I usually just park at whatever hotel that I'm staying at and leave the car there the whole weekend. I checked the Days Inn (where I'm staying this year) and they said that parking is $18/day. That rate may only be if you're staying at the Days Inn, though.

Last year, I stayed at the Peabody Court. I think that parking was closer to $30 because it was valet.

Edited by bayp
I usually just park at whatever hotel that I'm staying at and leave the car there the whole weekend. I checked the Days Inn (where I'm staying this year) and they said that parking is $18/day. That rate may only be if you're staying at the Days Inn, though.

Last year, I stayed at the Peabody Court. I think that parking was closer to $30 because it was valet.

I don't know if they changed their rate, but it seems to me like Days Inn ganked me a total of $68 for three days when I stayed last year. I just remember thinking that it would've been cheaper to leave the car in the 1st Mariner. Of course, I wouldn't have wanted to drag myself that far in the state I was in Monday morning :unsure: , but that's beside the point.

$68 seems high -- like, standard daily rate for that garage high, plus "not divisible by three" high....OTOH, you should see what the parking runs at the Hyatt. :rolleyes:

When you're parking at a hotel that uses a public-accessible garage, make sure you go through the hotel to get your parking sorted out. In many cases, you get a flat rate with in/out privileges, and you're basically considered pre-paid by the system, so you should be able to find SOME parking place.

Can I poke and ask do you know which Marriot hotel? I'm not really good with maps..is it the one near Broadway? Becasue that looks pretty far but if you walk that props to you!
Can I poke and ask do you know which Marriot hotel? I'm not really good with maps..is it the one near Broadway? Becasue that looks pretty far but if you walk that props to you!

Also, while driving through downtown the other day, it's not called the Marriot (or maybe I'm an idiot and it was the Wyndham all along..) anymore. I forgot what the hotel is called now, but when I go down tommorow I'll look. You'd think I would know what the hotels are down there, but seeing as I've never stayed in one...:D;

The Former Wyndham is now the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel (say that 5xs fast)

YES. The garage is in front of the Sheraton BCC Hotel. It's an underground garage, btw, and for the past million years (well you know) it has only cost us $7 PER DAY to park here on the weekends.
Edited by yamiko
YES. The garage is in front of the Sheraton BCC Hotel. It's an underground garage, btw, and for the past million years (well you know) it has only cost us $7 PER DAY to park here on the weekends.

really? i was gonna settle for 18...is it safe to park there all weekend? last time i used an open lot next to the con center that seemed cheap but i wouldn't leave my car over night xD

By chance, is it the one where you have to take the elevator there to get down into? Where the only way by car to get into it is a down ramp from Fayette St.?

In that case, it's the garage me & my friends have been using off & on for years. Love that garage, it's always had reasonable prices, happy to know they still do. :P Plan to park the car in that garage this year as well for the weekend, I'm not paying no $20+ a night...

Edited by Shineigami02
By chance, is it the one where you have to take the elevator there to get down into? Where the only way by car to get into it is a down ramp from Fayette St.?

In that case, it's the garage me & my friends have been using off & on for years. Love that garage, it's always had reasonable prices, happy to know they still do. :D Plan to park the car in that garage this year as well for the weekend, I'm not paying no $20+ a night...

Let me leave a word of advice: People should never assume just because your car is parked in these garages/lots, are totally safe from intruders from breaking in your cars. Any garage and parking lot that has general access to the public has as much risk for break-ins as leaving your car in the streets.

There are countless times that I've seen people had their cell phone, I-Pods, digital cameras, cam-corders, bags and some anime merchandise just about in plain view inside of their cars as I'm passing by to get to my own car. I'm sure that no one would even be that careless if they had to park their car on their own driveway for just a few minutes, much less leaving it there for the entire weekend.

i would like to add that yes parking garages are relatively safe. but remember you are in a CITY and you are at a HUGE event in the CITY. criminals and petty thieves alike will prey on the clumsiness of people who are at otakon. people tend to get a little lazy about locking there car doors. and believe me there have been many a time where i have forgot to lock my door. or i had something of value like a bag or hand held left on the seat. so if you absolutely must leave something important to you in the car or decide to park in a garage. just remember to lock your doors and keep things that have to stay in the car under your seat or in the trunk concealed.

wow i have to say thanks guys this thread just became super invaluable to my weekend ^_^

Just to clarify my earlier post,

the last time I was there I parked in a lot with no gate hardly anyone attending also right next to the con center in front of the holiday inn area. It was like 10.00 a day in 2004 (could be wrong..) I think so it was good for driving into the city for the day but since it wasn't gated and a tiny lot I wouldn't want to leave my car over night xD

Just to let you know I believe the parking lot you are speaking of is the one that was closed a couple years ago to break ground for the new BCC Hilton slated to open the week after Otakon this year.

Sorry to break it to you, I understand though. Me & my friends used to park in that lot the first couple years we attended Otakon as well. The convenience couldn't be beat, however the city found a better use for it.

Never fear though, there is plenty of reasonably priced parking garages in the vicinity if you only take the time to look.

Just to let you know I believe the parking lot you are speaking of is the one that was closed a couple years ago to break ground for the new BCC Hilton slated to open the week after Otakon this year.

Sorry to break it to you, I understand though. Me & my friends used to park in that lot the first couple years we attended Otakon as well. The convenience couldn't be beat, however the city found a better use for it.

Never fear though, there is plenty of reasonably priced parking garages in the vicinity if you only take the time to look.

Edited by MissV

There's still a cheap garage downtown - at the corner of Charles and Lombard, underneath the Charles Center (big black glass building with a 36 on the front). All-day parking is $8, though the lot closes fairly early.

As a note to those concerned about security: leave things you care about in your hotel room rather than in your car. Even if you don't think thieves will see the value in your carefully sculpted Princess Ayeka wig, take it inside with you. My car was broken into sitting in front of my house in a good neighborhood - they only took the ash tray. Thieves are less likely to break into a seemingly empty car; out of sight is literally out of mind. :D

Edited by ZGL
changed what i was going to say :)

Is the parking garage at Charles and Lombard good for overnight parking?

The reason I ask is that my hotel quoted me a rate of $18/day/car in a third party garage. Having seen some of the higher prices listed, that rate does not seem bad. But my party is still shopping for garages we can park in from the time we get in on Thursday, to when we leave on Sunday.

Thanks,

C.T.

I'm not sure if the Charles and Lombard garage is good for overnight parking. If you're not planning to move your car all weekend, you could park it at a Light Rail lot and take the train in. (Light Rail lots are free, and the fare is $1.60 one way). You could park on Thursday afternoon, come down on the train and check in/etc, stay all weekend, then take the train back out to the lot on Sunday. Simple! :D

The Former Wyndham is now the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Hotel (say that 5xs fast)

Yaaay someone who knew! :D

I'm not sure if the Charles and Lombard garage is good for overnight parking. If you're not planning to move your car all weekend, you could park it at a Light Rail lot and take the train in. (Light Rail lots are free, and the fare is $1.60 one way). You could park on Thursday afternoon, come down on the train and check in/etc, stay all weekend, then take the train back out to the lot on Sunday. Simple! ^_^

EDIT - DIdn't see the one post above, but here's a re-telling:

Park at the LightRail. You'd have to call in advance for the name of the one i parked at last year, cause I can't right off remember, AND you'd have to plan your schedule to be out of the CON and to the LR before it's last trip, but there's a parking lot about 12 miles away that as long as you call and request permission, they let you park FOR FREE for the whole weekend and the lot is patrolled by the police.

Then you pay for a RT pass of something like $3 to $4 bucks and ride right into the convention center.

Granted, if you have a large group of 4 or more, it's likely just as cheap to park in one of the garages and split the cost, but if you're a small group or single person who plans to attend the con for short hours (I.E. before 11-12midnight) then the LR is an excellent alternative to save on both cost of parking and some gas, perhaps. And you avoid ALL the traffic.

Anyway, do a web search for the LightRail and call the transit office. It took me about 30 minutes to find the right person, but I saved $70 last year by doing it this way. I also had a hotel room in the Harbor Court so I only needed 2 1 way passes, and ended up spending $7 for the weekend to park.

C

Edited by Chamelion

Hmm, This has been an interesting and relatively informative thread. My main thing about parking is that there may be panels rather late (aka after 11pm or so) which I might want to attend, but since my main mode of transportation is the light rail, I have to catch the lightrail by no later than midnight or so it looks like by the schedule.

This basically gives me three options:

1) skip any late night stuff, like I did last year (this is my 2nd year going)

2) park on the days there is late stuff going on

3) take a taxi back to the hotel (or at least the light rail stop where I parked)

I think someone said that the Arena parking garage on Howard street cost about $20 a day, which is good. They said it locked down, though, but the link one of the people provided says it's open 24/7. I'm assuming we're talking about the same parking garage here...

The big map also seems to show a parking garage directly across the street from the convention center between Pratt and Lombard, near the Courthouse (mapquest appears to show that it's on Hanover Street). I'm not sure I've seen this on any of the lists and it doesn't look obviously connected to a hotel. Anyone know what this garage is, how much it is, and when it closes?

This may all be academic, since there many not be anything that late I'll want to go to that much, but it's good to know ahead of time in any case.

PS, someone mentioned parking at the light rail. I believe the light rail stop that I parked at last year was the Patapsco station (south of Baltimore). The webpage for it says it has 216 parking spaces. There is also the North Linthicum lot with almost 350 spaces. Looks like Warren Road and Timonium have large parking lots north of the city as well.

I'm not sure if the Charles and Lombard garage is good for overnight parking. If you're not planning to move your car all weekend, you could park it at a Light Rail lot and take the train in. (Light Rail lots are free, and the fare is $1.60 one way). You could park on Thursday afternoon, come down on the train and check in/etc, stay all weekend, then take the train back out to the lot on Sunday. Simple! :)

Light Rail lots allow for unlimited (or at least for our purposes) parking without towing cars that stick around too far past the last train? Really?

Someone on here mentioned having their Jeep broken into a few years back in one of the public parking garages. I would offer these 2 comments from http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/travelt...tips/index.html

PHILADELPHIA Take your GPS device with you when you park in tourist areas, such as around the Liberty Bell. Lieutenant Frank Vanore says thefts of the gadgets from cars rose dramatically in the first four months of 2008 compared to the same period last year. Don't leave even a trace of a GPS unit in your car --such as a stray cord coming out of the glove compartment or the imprint of a suction cup on the windshield. "Take a couple of minutes and completely wipe down the window," says Vanore.

WASHINGTON, D.C. Police launched a campaign this year to remind people to lock their car doors at gas stations -- thefts of items from unattended cars at stations went up nearly fivefold from 2006 to 2007. There has also been a steep rise in robberies of iPods and cell phones on the Metro, with criminals simply snatching the devices out of the hands of distracted passengers. Police advise riders to consider not using the white Apple earphones, because the color is a dead giveaway for iPods. "The last thing you want to do is make it easy for the bad guys," says Officer Josue Aldiva.

I've been hearing that you can park at the Camden Yards parking lot overnight for a i think 20-30 dollar fee. I don't know for sure but i'm sort of in a bind on what to do for parking because the hotel that i'm staying at is near the airport so i have to drive to the convention center, so yeah this sucks.

I've been hearing that you can park at the Camden Yards parking lot overnight for a i think 20-30 dollar fee. I don't know for sure but i'm sort of in a bind on what to do for parking because the hotel that i'm staying at is near the airport so i have to drive to the convention center, so yeah this sucks.
Edited by calculusman

Take the light rail:

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/

Both the Patapsco and North Linthicum have large (and free!) parking lots, it only costs $3.50 for a day pass, and there is a station just across the street from the Convention Center. The only minus is that the last train going south from the convention center goes by at about midnight, so you won't be able to attend any of the really late stuff unless you drive or take a cab.

I stayed around the airport last year (and doing so again this year) and it worked really well for me. It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes to ride up or down, depending on which station you're leaving from/heading too. If I recall, i preferred the Patapso station, but it's kinda hazy since it was more than a year ago now.

Take the light rail:

Both the Patapsco and North Linthicum stations have large (and free!) parking lots, it only costs $3.50 for a day pass, and there is a station just across the street from the Convention Center. The only minus is that the last train going south from the convention center goes by at about midnight, so you won't be able to attend any of the really late stuff unless you drive or take a cab.

I stayed around the airport last year (and doing so again this year) and it worked really well for me. It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes to ride up or down, depending on which station you're leaving from/heading too. If I recall, i preferred the Patapso station, but it's kinda hazy since it was more than a year ago now.

Take the light rail:

Both the Patapsco and North Linthicum stations have large (and free!) parking lots, it only costs $3.50 for a day pass, and there is a station just across the street from the Convention Center. The only minus is that the last train going south from the convention center goes by at about midnight, so you won't be able to attend any of the really late stuff unless you drive or take a cab.

Long story short, I'm going to start out near the airport too but I'm switching to another hotel later and would much rather to park near the first hotel...which is by the airport...and...the North Linthicum station has free parking? And is overnight? I won't get towed? 0.0 That'll totally solve my problem if what you say is true....!

Hmm...well there's a number so I'll call them to ask if I can. =) If not... uh...I'll try to be shifty and just leave it at the first hotel Friday night to Sunday morning and pray nobody bothers my four wheeled, duct taped car. XD

SUCCESS!!!! I found a place that does public parking and there open till 3 a.m. this whole weekend. Its off Lombard St around the corner from the Convention Center. Basically there a sign that literally says "Public Parking". Its 16 dollars all day Friday and 10 dollars all day Saturday.

I HIGHLY recommend this place for anyone who plans on driving to this convention.

Did anyone use the parking garage on Hanover St. that was right there under the big lit P sign and if you did how much was it?

Edited by SoraVII
SUCCESS!!!! I found a place that does public parking and there open till 3 a.m. this whole weekend. Its off Lombard St around the corner from the Convention Center. Basically there a sign that literally says "Public Parking". Its 16 dollars all day Friday and 10 dollars all day Saturday.

I HIGHLY recommend this place for anyone who plans on driving to this convention.

The Arena garage raised it's raites to 16 a day, every day this year. It was 10 last year. Lousy bastids.

I may try the Hippodrome garage next year. Bit more of a walk, but I think it's 7-10 a night. Unfortunately most garages that are resonably priced shut down by midnight and don't open till about 6 am.