• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought they were a wannabe visual kei band O_o but apparently they're labeled as Germany's boyband.

I'm not really into them but their sound is kind of like a hardcore ver of Jonas Brothers^^; (ok nvm I'll stop comparing them to Jonas brothers LMAO)

they are a bit emo-rockish (I have their album) They are pretty good though. It's weird hearing the lead singer though cause you can hear the german in his voice but he's singing in English. I was a little put off, because the only other german band I listen to is Rammstein (starts headbanging)

Naturally, she has to be on every show xDDDDDD

Yep, BOA is (was?) considered Korea's very own Britney Spears (back when Spears was still popular) I guess she doesn't get comparisons anymore.

To keep it on topic....does anybody even remember 98 degrees?

Lol....the owners of the korean shop I went to (Music Plus) told me apparently ShinEE name is pronounced Shiny xD....interesting tidbit of info.

Korea's britney spears now is Hyori. (but I consider Hyori 100x better)

LMAO. yay American boybands!! 98 degrees.. yes I love all boybands of that era.

I saw a show with Backstreet Boys and H.O.T. It was amusing.. they had a dance battle and BSB was like wtf. XD

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GYxWg1MnCA8

yeah SHINee is pronounced shiny.. lol. It was weird at first but everyone got used to it. (before they debuted everyone kept calling them shine.)

Edited by lambogirl

Since Hyori has been around longer than BoA I'd say she was the Britney(who is still popular) first since she has a sexier image. BoA has tremendously better vocal so you could equate her more to Christina if you wanted to stick in that pop era of America.

see that's what I thought XD

I need to stop listening to random people x_x

but anyways we're getting a bit off-topic since BoA isn't a boyband lol.

ok I know they're not asian.. but who the hec is Tokio Hotel? ^_^

Hahaha, yeah, I suppose we are off topic.

All I know about Tokio Hotel is that they are from Germany. Someone suggested them once, and out of curiosity, I googled them. They seem rather popular with anime fans though, but I'm not sure what the connection is there. The name, perhaps?

Edited by NOTanOTAKU

@greygula: hm yeah true^^

I think many compare BoA with Britney because of her 'My Name' MV.

@NOTanOTAKU: That's good to know. I think we need to see more of SHINee cuz I don't think they're getting enough love right now^^;

Yeah especially Junjin's new reality show.. 5 teen daughters and 1 father. :mad:

Interesting shows they are XD

Rain WAS in JYP but now he has his own company J-TUNES. He's supposed to make his comeback this fall as well..

btw if you all are catching the Olympics make sure to look out from Hankyung of Super Junior.. he'll be carrying a torch there^^

and there's also the rumor of Rain performing but meh we'll see if that rumor is real =p

Big Bang's new single will be out on olympic weekend aka otakon weekend TT TT (internet is gone nooo)

oh and SEO TAIJI'S NEW SINGLE IS OUT <3

</end of fangirl>

Edited by lambogirl

Too add my few cents in this conversation...

The guys who play the Title Songs in the anime "Mnemosyne" are pretty good. Forgot their names though for some reason.

you mean Galneryus? That's a J-rock band lol.

btw don't know if I mentioned here but I think the majority of us are meeting up @ Edo Sushi on Thursday(4 pm) ya?

Everyone who usually talk in this thread should definitely stop by for LIVE discussions on boybands lol. We'll talk about J-pop k-pop, etc :( or just fangirl haha

btw don't know if I mentioned here but I think the majority of us are meeting up @ Edo Sushi on Thursday(4 pm) ya?

Everyone who usually talk in this thread should definitely stop by for LIVE discussions on boybands lol. We'll talk about J-pop k-pop, etc :D or just fangirl haha

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda sad how I wasn't able to find Greygula or Kaki this past weekend D:

but I was able to find some W-inds. and Tohoshinki on Arena 37C magazines in the dealers room. :3

My friend told me they played 'O' in one of the stores at one point haha.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i94/spik...oflbot-lBx8.jpg

Anyone catch hankyung(super junior) in the olympics? (well I couldn't since it was during otakon =_=)

well for those who are fans of Fly to the Sky they will be performing in NYC

http://www.clubzen.com/events/event_view.php?id=23534

not like it really applies to me since I'm not 21 :l (I fail in life)

Big Bang's comeback= also fail.

uhh so yuh I'll discuss moar boyband news with you all next year :D

- Jini

Edited by lambogirl

but I was able to find some W-inds. and Tohoshinki on Arena 37C magazines in the dealers room. :3

Anyone catch hankyung(super junior) in the olympics? (well I couldn't since it was during otakon =_=)

uhh so yuh I'll discuss moar boyband news with you all next year :)

- Jini

uhh so yuh I'll discuss moar boyband news with you all next year :D

- Jini

Big Bang's comeback failed? how so?

No it didn't fail.. well to me it was a bit disappointing. I just don't like their new song actually.

Haru Haru: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76v7ogxeNvo

Big Bang changed their sound ever since 'Lies' and it's just not as appealing to me as much. (but the song will eventually become one of those songs I'll end up liking anyway after a few repeats :D)

There's too many comebacks later in fall.. tough competition

DBSK (pushed to September)

Wondergirls

SHINee

Rain

Minwoo

SS501

@andrea: yeah I ended up buying only 1 of those magazines. I saw 3 issues with Tohoshinki on it.

T_T I hate being broke during conventions.

My friend HATES them for some reason...says stuff like "the new hanson" and other hateful things such as that...I havent listened to them yet so I'll reserve judgement until I do.

To be honest I think it's because his little sister listens to them NONSTOP lol

I look forward to meeting greygula, notanotaku, and kaki as well...hopefully we'll have better luck next year guys!

You know I don't enjoy the Jonas Brothers but you know what, if other people do good for them! I'm tired of people being all oh they're just trying to be Hanson. Especially on the internet. Like I like Girls Aloud and people are all they're so trying to be the Spice Girls when infact they aren't. It's just certain formula's work better than others.

I look forward to seeing you guys! I'll be at Nekocon later this year hosting two panels so you can find me there! I randomly had to move before Otakon this year so I missed it ;___; but I'll be there next year for sure!

@greygula: your panel got approved too? aw man I don't wanna do a panel @ Nekocon if there's going to be 2 K-pop ones xD;

See you @ Nekocon, definitely :)

@kaki: It's ok maybe next year^^v glad you had fun at Kat-tun concert and Jonas Brothers haha.

If anyone goes on soompi forums, hit me up :D (username = JiNi;)

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showuser=4816

You know I don't enjoy the Jonas Brothers but you know what, if other people do good for them! I'm tired of people being all oh they're just trying to be Hanson. Especially on the internet. Like I like Girls Aloud and people are all they're so trying to be the Spice Girls when infact they aren't. It's just certain formula's work better than others.

@lambogirl: Well no mine isn't KPOP as Anime conventions center on Japanese culture and media it will be JMusic, Beyond JRock and I will mention Korean and Taiwanese artists that have entered or tried to but it will not be on KPOP itself. So don't worry ours will each be very original! But you'll most definitely see me at your panel! :rolleyes:

@kaki: You know everyone has something they love on a man, it's noses for me, it must be eyebrows for you!

But I thinks it's people's unwillingness to except new things and subconsciously think that if they like the old then it makes them superior in some way. That's why people try and find the similarities in new groups and previous groups.

Also on semi topic since its about a girlgroup..anyone here SNSD when cutting to commercial break during swimming a day or so ago?

@greygula: My panel @ Nekocon is actually Jpop+Kpop 101 *is ded* I don't think many will show up if it's just K-pop sadly.

ahh please I'd love if you could attend the panel ^^ I'll go to your panels too! :3

I didn't hear anything.. I haven't watched Olympics all weekend long because of Otakon.

Speaking of SNSD.. guess who's in New York! They'll probably head back to Korea in a few days for the SMtown Festival.

wow you like noses on a guy? I find that to be so strange^^ well I know someone with a feet fetish D: nothings stranger than that.. x_x

I like eyes and skin! (I need to stop describing Jaejoong :rolleyes:)

Edited by lambogirl

I just want to know if anyone else is having problems with quoting in replies, because I am.

Anywho, once I write up my syllabus for the panel I'll let you know more, but if its anythign even thought a lot will be pop, I'm also mentioning, indie, ska, rock(but not kei), hiphop, etc.

I saw people on Soompi talking about it too so it must have been SNSD. Oh you know I feel so lame I never catch any good concerts except Otakon.

Lol I feel silly I should of said strong noses, and by strong noses I mean, something that stand out but sill fits in nice.

You know I have nice skin but Lord what I wouldn't give for skin like his.

No it didn't fail.. well to me it was a bit disappointing. I just don't like their new song actually.

Haru Haru: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76v7ogxeNvo

Big Bang just released a new MV for their song Oh My Friend: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4mHSeShRMxY

It's very different from their usual style of music. I usually like it when boybands experiment with their music... but I'm not sure about this song. ^_^;;

wow you like noses on a guy? I find that to be so strange^^ well I know someone with a feet fetish D: nothings stranger than that.. x_x

I like eyes and skin! (I need to stop describing Jaejoong )

Well some of them cover their smiles because they have had or do have bad teeth. It's sad that societies everywhere, well almost everywhere are so vain.

I'm still peeved China! *shakes fist*

LOL well, being a guy, Im not sure I can say what I like on a guy, but on a girl, I do like a good smile. It is sad that they cover their smiles up though.

Yeah, I would say around the 400th time hearing that song, I'd probably snap....great torture device though, just set the song on neverending repeat and come back in 24 hours LOL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/12/c...c_n_118349.html

*grrs*

Ok ok, on topic. So we all know the F4(aka JVKV) formed a boy(man)band after all staring in Meoter Garden. Matsujun a member of Arashi was in Hana Yori Dango and now Kim Hyun Joong is going to be in the Korean version of Boys over Flowers.

Arashi sung in the first and second season openings Love So Sweet and Wish and the F4 sung Jue Bu Neng Shi Qu Ni and Yan Huo De Ji Jie in the second season not the first.

So is this an automatic single for SS501 and an automatic hit?

what the hec.. that's messed up :blink:

since hyun joong will be in Boys Over Flowers it probably will be a hit. (if anything make SS501 even more popular)

Boys Over Flowers is one of those dramas you instantly fall in love with. (I don't know what will happen if Korea screws it up.. which I hope they don't I expect more from Korea since I love k-dramas the most)

@shiro: You should let that song on 24/7 near Chris :P I noticed he got annoyed whenever I put a korean song on haha.

Did he really? I think that might just be the way he looks half the time xDDDD I know he likes Korean music so that is puzzling xD.

That's horrible. Although, I really don't expect anything less from China's "government". Which is why I also have no respect for them.

Yeah I was cool with all the fireworks not being real but not that.

I do think it will be a hit, I mean even the mangas that Japan screws up still has decently good ratings (I'm talking to you Hanazakari no Kimitachi e ) as much as I love Shirota Yuu and Oguri Shun lets be honest the Taiwanese one was done better..well in my opinion :blink:

Like I just listened to Arashi's newest single for Uno's drama and I like it but I may watch the Korean drama it was based on as I usually like Korean dramas best.

Did he really? I think that might just be the way he looks half the time xDDDD I know he likes Korean music so that is puzzling xD.

That's horrible. Although, I really don't expect anything less from China's "government". Which is why I also have no respect for them.

From what I've heard, korean dramas seem to be the better out of all the countries, but movie wish I'd have to say...china....maybe korea? Japan has some good movies, but they are really different from other countries movies.

Cant wait for Rain, Epik High, Big Bang, and Minwoo's new stuff.

All those fireworks were FAKE? Wow....Have you guys seen the HAZE around the arena? its SCARY.

Edited by Shiro420

Sadly that American remake went straight to dvd XD I'll probably watch it when it comes out.

hmm for movies I really have no clue. I can't say much about chinese movies since majority always have martial arts in it :) Japanese movies are really deep. I like watching movies that have all those feelings (sad, funny, exciting) I know I'm being korea biased again D: but Korea gets my vote for movies. (along with America)

Korea I like the dramas because IDK they pull more at my heart strings. Korea though does one thing that a lot of other countries don't some times...GIVE THEIR DVDS English subtiles!!!

Well the "footsteps" fireworks were they told us that and then some of the other ones were fake but not all.

The Haze its all that pollution.

this is true! Every korean movie I have has English subtitles! (even the artist merch XD)

but AHEM yeah boybands..

I heard a ridiculous rumor today. Kim bum is going to quit Super Junior? wtf :)

Doesn't SuJu usually have a lot of rumors usually? I always felt kim Bum was idk..quiet and intelligent. I'm not sure how well that works forever when it comes to a boyband.

Also I propose we try and keep this thread running until next Otakon! And we should all go to Matsuri's or maybe Edo, if we have to expand the title from boybands to boybands, idol dramas, and girlgroups to keep it going then lets do it!

P.S. anyone want to exchange myspaces or livejournals?

Doesn't SuJu usually have a lot of rumors usually? I always felt kim Bum was idk..quiet and intelligent. I'm not sure how well that works forever when it comes to a boyband.

Also I propose we try and keep this thread running until next Otakon! And we should all go to Matsuri's or maybe Edo, if we have to expand the title from boybands to boybands, idol dramas, and girlgroups to keep it going then lets do it!

Sounds good to me...and I'm sure there will always be bb news to discuss :)

I do love how all the korean stuff (at least these days) gets subtitles....that's what gets me about some of the japanese dvd's...they cost SOOOO much but they cant add subtitles? ARGH

Yeah they do. Kim Bum doesn't strike me as a guy to be in a boyband honestly. He seems to be more the type to be an actor.

and maybe get more people to join in the convo too xD look at all these posts they are made by 4 or 5 people!

My myspace is in my profile. If you want to talk in LJ that's cool too.

http://missjoongie.livejournal.com/

(all I do is fangirl there *shrug*)

I'd love to see Kim Bum get more into acting, but lord I'd how ELF would feel.

I'm going to message mine to anyone who wants it! Or I'll friend you if you post yours! :)

Lol I wrote Uno didn't I...shame on me. We'll make I have games on the brain!

Oh my god yes I love short series, I enjoy a lot of British dramas for that reason too because even if they are like 5 seasons(series is what they're called in Britain) they're still like 13/15 episodes max.

Yeah Taiwan does seem to have low budget stuff, but I'm ok with that sometimes seeing as so many tv shows seem to be overly done over here.

Kibum leave Super Junior? Aw, I really liked him. And yeah, he seemed most normal of the bunch.

Most of my fav dramas come from Taiwan! Korea also produces a lot of great dramas! For some reason, I'm just not really into Japanese dramas... Go figure.

Edited by NOTanOTAKU