this? haha

kaki already said it, but it is Arashi. I like them as well, probably my favorite boyband.

I've been so out of the loop of Korean music too, Shinhwa's already up at 9? haha I remember when I stopped listening to K-pop they were at 5. So many new groups now, I don't even recognize anyone in SM Town anymore except KangTa and BoA. I saw Micky everyday in High School also before he became famous, it's the dumbest reason in the world but it's why I don't listen to DBSK/TVXQ/Tohoshinki. So it's just weird seeing a fob Korean I used to go to H.S. with sing in front of millions of people and next to the artists that I want to meet (BoA & Otsuka Ai) :blush:

Probably not considered a boyband since it's just two members but they're JE so on-topic, sort of XD

KinKi Kids got a new song out, I saw on this weeks MusicStation. Never been a fan of them and still am not haha but just thought I'd mention it. No surprise that it will debut at #1 again and thats another one to add to their current Guinness World Record

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this? haha

kaki already said it, but it is Arashi. I like them as well, probably my favorite boyband.

I've been so out of the loop of Korean music too, Shinhwa's already up at 9? haha I remember when I stopped listening to K-pop they were at 5. So many new groups now, I don't even recognize anyone in SM Town anymore except KangTa and BoA. I saw Micky everyday in High School also before he became famous, it's the dumbest reason in the world but it's why I don't listen to DBSK/TVXQ/Tohoshinki. So it's just weird seeing a fob Korean I used to go to H.S. with sing in front of millions of people and next to the artists that I want to meet (BoA & Otsuka Ai) :blush:

Edited by lambogirl

Well by fob he means Fresh off the Boat and I don't remember ever hearing his English be great. So technically he was.

I don't know the kid but I believe he's talked about it before, being home sick and stuff, when he was in America.

Yeah haha Chantilly High School, I didn't really talk to him all that much. He was more like a friend of a friend kinda deal. He was in ESL though, and I guess his English didn't improve all that much haha. After he became debuted I joked with my friend saying "hey you should ask your teacher for some of his old papers and sell it if he becomes famous" :lol:

I still remember when my friends told me that some guy from SM Town saw him at a local singing competition and signed him. One of his friends also said he was debuting in 2004 and January '04 came and there he was.

He's actually in my yearbook from my Sophmore in '01-'02 if anyone wants to see a pic of it :P. He doesn't look all that different though.

Edited by chen86

@grey: yeah but I dunno he made it sound like America was so bad.. yes everyone has their own personal problems but Virginia ain't that horrible D: well despite all the drama I hope he visits his old town soon^^;

yeah I know what FOB means lol. I was asking if he was wangsta since in his pre-debut pics I always saw Micky wearing ECKO and some bling XD Well Micky did mention he concentrated more on the pronunciation haha.

I wanna see it! Is it when he has bleached spiky hair? If so then I probably have seen it.

btw I just got news that SM will be launching their American division SM Entertainment USA. Apparently BoA will be the one debuting in the US. As a singer? I have no clue.. the rumor I heard was she would debut here as an actress.. :lol:

I'm surprised SM actually joined the "let's send our singers to the US!" wagon along with JYP and YG. (especially since SM said himself there's no need for market in the US.. how hypocritical. -.-;:P

Edited by lambogirl
btw I just got news that SM will be launching their American division SM Entertainment USA. Apparently BoA will be the one debuting in the US. As a singer? I have no clue.. the rumor I heard was she would debut here as an actress.. :lol:

what the hec people have been saying BoA was raised in the US? Pssh of course that's a lie

Actually Edison Chen was raised in Canada til Secondary School I believe.. he attended Hong Kong International High school when he moved.

what the hec people have been saying BoA was raised in the US? Pssh of course that's a lie

Actually Edison Chen was raised in Canada til Secondary School I believe.. he attended Hong Kong International High school when he moved.

The whole "hey I know English went to school somewhere foreign" might sound like its good for one's history over there but over here celebutantes like to say they are famous in Japan, I know the Hiltons are but I'm not really sure if ALL of them are.

I read the thing about BoA in the US and honestly she sings wonderfully but yeah, I really believe for their to be an Asian singing star that she'd need to speak near perfect. I'm trying to think of Asians over here in the business that an average person in their twenty's may be able to name and I think they'd maybe only be able to name Amerie and Linkin Park. Personally I'd like to see Crystal Kay try something over here.

The whole "hey I know English went to school somewhere foreign" might sound like its good for one's history over there but over here celebutantes like to say they are famous in Japan, I know the Hiltons are but I'm not really sure if ALL of them are.

I read the thing about BoA in the US and honestly she sings wonderfully but yeah, I really believe for their to be an Asian singing star that she'd need to speak near perfect. I'm trying to think of Asians over here in the business that an average person in their twenty's may be able to name and I think they'd maybe only be able to name Amerie and Linkin Park. Personally I'd like to see Crystal Kay try something over here.

Well technically everyone knows Jackie Chan...and yes he is a singer (he actually wasnt all that bad back in the 80-early 90s)

On that note though, I really hope to see Jay Chou live someday because he is spectacular as a singer....he really is talented.

I live about 30 mins away from Chantilly so I wouldnt doubt if I went to school with a couple of these guys as well...one of my best friends is Korean as Lambo knows, and some of my best friends throughout my life have been asian (japanese, chinese, even thai). I really wouldnt doubt if I've talked to or just passed by some of these entertainers that have lived here.

Oh, by the way Lambo, I asked my friend about it, and he said he wasnt annoyed by your music at all...thats just how he looks most of the time. Some people think hes angry or annoyed sometimes when hes not....thats just how he is. So no worries about that.

Edited by Shiro420

so far only Micky of TVXQ is the famous k-pop star from Virginia. The rest of k-pop American singers are usually from California or NY/NJ. It's always cool to know someone from your local area is in Asia's top idol group XD

I only know of Pharrell whom is famous in my area but I've never ever seen the guy! :blink:

@shiro: Oh its cool =p I kinda figured.. I have that kind of face too LOL

well I just felt awkward playing my music in the room anyway haha I usually just play it around people who usually listen to k-pop/j-pop. </end of spam DD8>

btw anyone know of any J-pop singers whom are from the US? So far I only know of Utada and Heartsdales.

oh and on the note of BoA..

Boa will unveil plans for her launch into the U.S. market by holding a press conference on the 10th (Seoul time) at the Imperial Palace Hotel (2pm). And using the catch phrase, “Best of Asia, Bring on America,” the pint-sized singer hopes that America will come knocking.
Edited by lambogirl
btw anyone know of any J-pop singers whom are from the US? So far I only know of Utada and Heartsdales.

Yuno Ito is a Hawaiian Korean- American I believe. Leah Dizon is a Phillipino-French American, Sowelu is I think 1/4 American. Jero is 1/4 Japanese and African American. Lisa formerly from M-flo is Japanese-Colombian. Crystal Kay is (Korean-African American). A few models "sing" like Lena Fuiji who is 1/4 American.

Also all of Coconut Musume.

Note actually not all of them were raised here! Sorry about that.

Edited by greygula
Yuno Ito is a Hawaiian Korean- American I believe. Leah Dizon is a Phillipino-French American, Sowelu is I think 1/4 American. Jero is 1/4 Japanese and African American. Lisa formerly from M-flo is Japanese-Colombian. Crystal Kay is (Korean-African American). A few models "sing" like Lena Fuiji who is 1/4 American.

Almost half (if not over half at this point) of the entertainment industry here is mixed blood, so I wouldn't get started on that list if I were you. ^^;; Even Johnny's has been recruiting mixed kids like crazy. (One of the Juniors in Gokusen 3 is part Taiwanese, raised in Taiwan for a major part of his life)

I forgot about Jero . . but Jero and Leah are treated as foreigners, not local artists. Crystal Kay was born and raised in Japan (despite that her Japanese is pretty poor), and they treat her like a local artist for the most part.

More interesting are the people who were raised in unexpected places, like Keisuki Koide who grew up partially in India (supposedly he can speak some Hindi).

I know it seems a lot of the models are.

You know I was watching Shonen Club and I SWORE I saw a black, way little kid dancing. One of the girls in c-ute looks like a neighbor I went to school with so I wouldn't be surprised if she was mixed as well.

Yknow its been driving me crazy so I've got to ask. I watched the trailer for 20th Century Boys (which looks interesting) and the Main Actor looks REALLLLLLY familiar but I just cant figure out who it is.

Yknow its been driving me crazy so I've got to ask. I watched the trailer for 20th Century Boys (which looks interesting) and the Main Actor looks REALLLLLLY familiar but I just cant figure out who it is.

Toshiaki Karasawa would be his name. He's not in as many works these days as in the 90's (where you couldn't get him off your tv screen), but he makes plenty of movies these days (including that awful Casshern remake).

The Live Action one? I actually own that....it was pretty bad xDDD It was still fun to watch though (as you say...some of the cheesiest movies can be fun to watch)

I wondered where I'd seen him before...

So, any new Johnny's news from the land of the rising sun?

^

lol wow his fans are mean XD

just sharing some news :]

Misha Gabriel Collaboration

No more doubts, BoA is well on her way towards an American debut. BoA has been collaborating with Hip Hop choreographer "Misha Gabriel". The dancers who will be featured in BoA's first US Music Video includes the talented Kenny Wormald, Mickael Riccio and Trent Dickens (Who are all part of Misha Gabriel's dance team) . There's no official announcement on where the video was shot but rumors are that it was partially shot in Seoul (End of August) and partially shot in New York.

Thanks to BoALoveS + SportsWorld

Photos were included with this post. See at bottom of this thread. For those who aren't familiar with his work, please refer to this video:

First US Single Rumor

According to rumors, BoA's first US single will be premiered on September 10th during the "Best of Asia, Bring on America" press conference. The title of the song is said to be "I'm gonna eat you up" It is also rumored that BoA's CD will feature 13 new English songs. It's even been said that she's currently living in a "Corporate Apartment" somewhere in the town of Westwood, Los Angeles. However, these may simply just be rumors. Full details about her album will be released on September 10th.

Thanks to BoAsLoves

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6978/09...ncers031ug3.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6785/09...ancers02vx6.jpg

Glad to hear the concert was good! What set did they sing? Any particular faves out of that set?
Glad to hear the concert was good! What set did they sing? Any particular faves out of that set?

Highlight was definitely Nino's solo. He channeled Jay Chou, who, for me, is seriously the best artist in Asia. The song is called Niji, and you can find it on Youtube. Unlike Jay though, Nino wrote only the lyrics (Jay only writes the melodies). They're each talented in their own way though. Ono is the best singer of the group, but you expect him to be good and he didn't do anything above and beyond expectation.

They began with Love So Sweet, which was very appropriate. Pretty much they sang all their most popular songs, as well as solo songs. The concert was at the old Tokyo Olympic stadium which seats *70, 000* people, and there were still tons of people waiting outside hoping to get in. Each ticket was $65, meaning this concert made $4.5million US, not to mention that they held a second concert, also full, the day before. Since it was an open stadium, many people just listened to the music outside the stadium. They also didn't lip-sync too much from what I could see.

This week, I see Ueda (the U in Kat-Tun) in solo concert with another friend. Different friend has invited me to see Toma Ikuta as Danny for the Japan musical version of Grease next month. I love Grease, so hopefully, it won't be as bad as the Japan musical version of High School Musical (oddly, a Grease remake), which had Koyama from NewS as Zac Efron's character (Koyama is a bad singer, poor actor and untalented dancer) and Nami Tamaki as Vanessa Hudgen's character (voice too low for part, no chemisty with Koyama, not much of dancer). Footloose musical was starring the leader of V6, but Footloose was just too cheesy even for me, so I opted out of that.

Really? thats interesting. Let me know how Grease is (I loved that movie growing up) Footloose...I couldnt imagine that...the movie itself is pretty cheesy so a production would be.....

I agree with you....Jay Chou really is something special.... I havent picked up any of his albums yet though...would you have any good suggestions of which album to pick up first?

I agree with you....Jay Chou really is something special.... I havent picked up any of his albums yet though...would you have any good suggestions of which album to pick up first?

Jay luckily has a best album, so I would start with that. It's from a few years back, so nothing recent on it, but it has my favorite song on it, "Qilixiang" (Silk Jasmine). I could listen to this song all day. Jay plays many instruments (piano, cello, guitar, shamisen, violin, drums) and raps as well as sings ballads. There are few singers in Asia who are this versatile.

I first saw him in a movie...I think it was Initial D the live action....but the first song of his I ever heard was (I think) Huo Yuan Jia (the song he made for the movie fearless) I just thought it was cool how he blended rap and martial arts and he can get his voice to such a high pitch...its really amazing.

Even if its got nothing recent, as you said, its a good start, and at least then I wont have to worry about getting his older cds because the best of those cds would be on this album.

Today, it was finally announced that Kinki Kids will not be doing the Johnny's Countdown and have passed on their major role at the Countdown to NewS.

The Johnny's Countdown is the New Year's Eve concert that features all of the Johnny's bands younger than SMAP. Kinki Kids have performed at the event for 10 years.

Kinki Kids will be holding their own New Years Eve concert in Osaka instead. It's pretty rare to hold a solo New Years Eve concert at a major venue, the first group to do so being X Japan.

Sadly, taking Kinki out of the mix makes the concert not as cool as before. Before this change, it was Kinki, Tokio, V6, Arashi, NewS, Kat-Tun, KanJani8, TakiTsuba and starting last year, Hey Say Jump, all for one low price. (The price was actually less than it cost to go to a Kinki concert.) You also get appearances by older Johnny's, such as Masahiko Kondo, members of Shounentai and/or Hikaru Genji. (But never SMAP.)

(Before anyone asks, there are rumors all the time that SMAP will break up or that SMAP will leave Johnny's. None of which have been proven to be true yet...)

I guess that goes to show how big Kinki Kids has gotten right?

btw it's finally happening D: actually her song is pretty catchy.. I just hope they don't release the american director's version cuz that was just too cheap looking x__x (teaser a) I really hope they release teaser B instead.. I don't think anyone wants to see BoA in orange lipstick >_<

Check out the MV teasers here:

http://www.boaamerica.com/

On October 7th, both music videos of 'Eat You Up' will be revealed online. On November 11th, BoA's management is planning to officially release the single to the public in stores and online through Amazon, Myspace, iTunes, and even ringtone downloads. Her first album's details were also mentioned, and the album's title song is entitled ..LOOK WHO..S TAILING'. Her first album is scheduled to release in 2009 and she will be promoting the album with appearances on TV shows, radio programs, and at clubs. After her promotion period, she is planning to do a nationwide concert tour.

I gotta say I'm very excited. I don't even think SE7EN, Rain, nor JYP artists have gone this far yet. If BoA can finally break into the US entertainment as the 1st successful Asian artist that'd be great!

I'm also looking forward for Utada as well. Her 3rd attempt of trying to make it in the US will be in 2009.

Edited by lambogirl

btw it's finally happening D: actually her song is pretty catchy.. I just hope they don't release the american director's version cuz that was just too cheap looking x__x (teaser a) I really hope they release teaser B instead.. I don't think anyone wants to see BoA in orange lipstick >_<

Check out the MV teasers here:

http://www.boaamerica.com/

On October 7th, both music videos of 'Eat You Up' will be revealed online. On November 11th, BoA's management is planning to officially release the single to the public in stores and online through Amazon, Myspace, iTunes, and even ringtone downloads. Her first album's details were also mentioned, and the album's title song is entitled ..LOOK WHO..S TAILING'. Her first album is scheduled to release in 2009 and she will be promoting the album with appearances on TV shows, radio programs, and at clubs. After her promotion period, she is planning to do a nationwide concert tour.

I gotta say I'm very excited. I don't even think SE7EN, Rain, nor JYP artists have gone this far yet. If BoA can finally break into the US entertainment as the 1st successful Asian artist that'd be great!

I'm also looking forward for Utada as well. Her 3rd attempt of trying to make it in the US will be in 2009.

So Utada pushed back her second english album till next year? That's a shame....I'll be sure to check out BOA's Album though

It really doesnt surprise me Kaki, although as you said, that does suck, because its better to get to see them ALONG with all the other bands for one cheap price. I'd be thrilled about it, since Kinki Kids is my fave Jonny's Band.

ShinEE releases their first full album something this month right? I saw something about it in my email from yesasia. I'll be sure to try and pick it up.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about BoA's debut in America. She's not a bad singer, but I just don't think she'll be able to make it in the US market.

Jay luckily has a best album, so I would start with that. It's from a few years back, so nothing recent on it, but it has my favorite song on it, "Qilixiang" (Silk Jasmine). I could listen to this song all day. Jay plays many instruments (piano, cello, guitar, shamisen, violin, drums) and raps as well as sings ballads. There are few singers in Asia who are this versatile.

I think it's also in part because there's too many groups on one stage now. Hey Say Jump supposedly currently cannot perform the whole countdown due to the restriction on underaged kids working past a certain hour, but eventually, they will and there will be other groups too. Each year, each group sings less songs.

Not only that, think of the money potential for Johnny, if he arranges two New Years Events.

As for Utada, I think her weakness is lyrics. The lyrics on her last English album were just awful. Her Japanese lyrics aren't great either, but the standards for artists are lower in Japan. But then again, I thought the lyrics to "Touch my Body" by Mariah Carey had to be the worst English lyrics I had heard in a long time, and that song was a hit everywhere....

I don't expect BoA to make it huge. Similar to what Greygula said, I think she's too Asian and her English is really poor. There are hundreds of Asian American singers that haven't made it huge, because being Asian is somewhat of a disadvantage in the US entertainment scene. It'd be even harder for a non-American Asian to make it big. Someone would have to be extremely attractive (BoA is cute, but not really HOT by Asian standards), write their own songs, etc. Most Asian idols tend to be pretty manufactured, just as Britney and co. are, but American idols tend to have to fit a certain mold to make it big, which tends to be more an "all-American" image.

Technically, the first Asian artist to make it huge in America was Kyu Sakamoto with the song Americans called "Sukiyaki." That's the highest selling non-English song in the US, actually making the *top* of the sales charts in the US. But he wasn't singing English, so he didn't have to connect to the audience as much. Though I'm still surprised that a non-English song could be such a hit in the 1960's. Pink Lady (Japanese girl duo) also had a top 40 hit in the US in the 1970's and even went on to have a very briefly lived English tv show that was painfully bad, I am told.

Being Asian is a disadvantage.. take a look at Tila Tequila :) I can say America is slowly opening up..

When you're that trashy, no one cares what race you are. -_-

Generally though, sexual roles are one of the easiest ways for female minorities to break in. Angela Bassett once complained that many of the roles for black women were degrading sexual roles. She doesn't seem to believe that these lead to eventual acceptance though.

When you're not appealing to the lowest common denominator, Asians tend to be stuck in limited roles. It's largely due to the fact that Asians still have a "foreign" image to the extent that some Americans seem to be convinced that Asian Americans can't even speak English well. (I swear I'm going to sock the next person who says to me, "Wow, your English is so good!")

As for bragging about race, I think it's a result of trying to copy the old style braggart lyrics from R&B, which doesn't quite work when your race is considered nerdy.... (And I say this in the most loving way, being an Asian American nerd myself.) Utada tried to do R&B at first and did better with pop. Jin thinks he's hardcore, so of course, he's gotta go with the braggart lyrics. (I find "hardcore Asian" to be a total oxymoron...)

Is that show getting another season? That's terrible....its like all those other crappy mtv/vh-1 shows (Rock of Love and I love new york are prime examples)

Its good to hear her English has improved, but I'll be sure to sample a couple of the songs before I decide to pick up the album.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been so long since I posted (ugh job :)) Anyways..thought I'd post some more videos and discussion ensues again?

DBSK "Wrong Number"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7dxhr_do...number-mv_music

SOOOOO happy this was their second single, I haven't been watching to see any lives, have you lambo? Anyways with "O" there was only two singles but if this gets to have three I'd really like to see "Crazy Love". Some of the acting in the video was humorous but they are singers not actors.

NewS "Happy Birthday"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6r6co_pv...-birthday_music

I'm ok with the song, the graphics in the video are really cute though, but a perm Pi? Rly?

V6 "Swing"

http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-452266/V6...NG.html?hires=1

Well I love these guys, I love the video and song and it makes me love them even more.

Kinki Kids "Secret Code"

http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-432646/Ki...ecret-Code.html

The quality of production is of course excellent because it's them and its a good song but it's a grower for me.

Big Bang "Sunset Glow"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7b7cy_bi...nset-glow_music

First off I don't know who named this song but it sounds like a Jlo perfume but the video is cute but a little boring and repetitive but hey Subway!

SHINee "Amigo"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7b5jy_shinee-amigo_music

The beginning reminds my sister of New Amsterdam, but I didn't see that show. The video is nice, the song is catchy but they are soo young still I get teen hormones but I'd like a Hug 2.0. Also their sweaters are KILLING me.

In other news congratulations Shindong from Super Junior on 35 pounds of weight loss!

Woah woah..hold up Grease? As in the musical? As in Danny Zuko? As in a play about American youth sexuality and the changes of that decade and the new hip rock 'n roll movement?

I agree to it all being bland but I still over the graphics it reminds me of papercrafts, but didn't the set of the Truth video remind you of another video set?

Woah woah..hold up Grease? As in the musical? As in Danny Zuko? As in a play about American youth sexuality and the changes of that decade and the new hip rock 'n roll movement?

I agree to it all being bland but I still over the graphics it reminds me of papercrafts, but didn't the set of the Truth video remind you of another video set?

Miki was in it? I'm glad she was good, I feel..her career..is..nothing? With such a great voice it's a shame. And I always am afraid to go to plays which I am unsure of the acting quality. Sorry Community theaters and College productions! BTW that weapon..it didn't actually hit you did it?

Aww I always love Kanjani 8 videos though because they're so funny..sometimes toooo silly though. That Tokio one with them running in the rain to go "save" that puppy was super cute though. I agree with the pastels though, just blah I don't need to see boys over 18 in sky blue and baby girl pink and white suits. I also don't need to see them in so many effing layers of plaid and sweaters and such...*cough*KAT-TUN*cough*

I love Angela but if I don't actually listen they all sound the same. Single though....I really enjoyed Capsule "More More More." Album wise I love OLIVIA so I'd have to say "Trinka Trinka" even though it didn't sound as cohesive as "The Cloudy Dreamer".

Miki was in it? I'm glad she was good, I feel..her career..is..nothing? With such a great voice it's a shame. And I always am afraid to go to plays which I am unsure of the acting quality. Sorry Community theaters and College productions! BTW that weapon..it didn't actually hit you did it?

Aww I always love Kanjani 8 videos though because they're so funny..sometimes toooo silly though. That Tokio one with them running in the rain to go "save" that puppy was super cute though. I agree with the pastels though, just blah I don't need to see boys over 18 in sky blue and baby girl pink and white suits. I also don't need to see them in so many effing layers of plaid and sweaters and such...*cough*KAT-TUN*cough*

I love Angela but if I don't actually listen they all sound the same. Single though....I really enjoyed Capsule "More More More." Album wise I love OLIVIA so I'd have to say "Trinka Trinka" even though it didn't sound as cohesive as "The Cloudy Dreamer".

No, no I know all about Miki and Morning Musume. It is said though, I mean it is just a boyfriend so yeah hopefully the media will forget since she is talented.

A Power Ranger skit..IDK if I could take that.

I just listened to one of their songs! Such beautiful voices! What song to you recommend?

No, no I know all about Miki and Morning Musume. It is said though, I mean it is just a boyfriend so yeah hopefully the media will forget since she is talented.

A Power Ranger skit..IDK if I could take that.

I just listened to one of their songs! Such beautiful voices! What song to you recommend?