Aww, well maybe we can all meet at a panel? Thursday I will be going to Joss Sushi, I just don't know what time and Sunday IDK.

I saw it on omna, horrible dub! I mean really they could of done it all over again. The majority of fans know that version and the new fans, well JYP there is the internet they will find the old one.

I agree to a point but I feel they really get to grow as artists in Japan where in Korea not so much. With their last album I thought wow they are really having this nice young man image but then flashfowards and it seems SM is doing this whole slicker, mature thing for all their kids{to a degree} Fans are just pissy bitches in general it seems. We should all just get along <3 THE MUSIC CAN SAVE US PEOPLE!

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to wait for a concrete schedule to say yes but it's a 50/50 chance I'll be there or Living with Kami if the schedule is the same when it's official, I just got to ask my people.

which panel..?

I was looking at the schedule.. apparently there's a Johnny's panel on friday? ^_^ (not sure if its the johnny's we're thinking of er..)

http://www.otakon.com/events_schedule.asp

Well there's always Friday or Saturday, and I'm sure they'll be open pretty late.

Yeah they've been doing the mature look with all the bands lately it seems.

Edited by Shiro420

SM has been doing the mature look on his bands ever since he got rid of LONDON Pride. (which I liked since their outfits were so.. cosplay-ish? lol.) Now their ourfits seem so normal. meh. And since he's gotten more connections with American producers.

so we're meeting at the Johnny's panel? o.o (I won't have much to contribute there but I'll be there? lol)

Edited by lambogirl
SM has been doing the mature look on his bands ever since he got rid of LONDON Pride. (which I liked since their outfits were so.. cosplay-ish? lol.) Now their ourfits seem so normal. meh. And since he's gotten more connections with American producers.

so we're meeting at the Johnny's panel? o.o (I won't have much to contribute there but I'll be there? lol)

Didn't get to look at the schedule, but if I have nowhere else to be, that sounds like a plan.

yea sounds cool to me.. I'll try to make it (:

about Big Bang before.. they got number 3 on Oricon Charts O__o;; I didn't think they'd get so high but maybe Big Bang is a new type of boyband for Japan?

They already released a new song o.o;;

BIGBANG - ガラガラ GO!!

IDK how true it is and perhaps it's just haters but I've always heard they get so high on the charts because Korean fans and Wastern fans always buy a lot of their Japanese merchandise.

And yeah for meet-up!

hmm idk.. but so many international fans' purchases towards oricon can only be so much. From their recent fanmeeting, I heard they had to cancel because the place was only supposed to hold 400, but thousands of fans came. They probably do have a decent size fanbase in Japan, I'm just surprised they didn't change their style to something more popish?

Johnny's World: A Look into Johnny's and Associates

^

can someone verify if the Johnny's panel is really about JOHNNY'S ENT? Cuz if it's not that'd be.. awkward lol.

Random thought x: Anyone notice more and more J-rock bands are touring Europe, US, and Latin America.. does this help them gain more exposure in Japan if they do this..? I know it's not J-pop related, but J-pop artists don't really do this unless they're invited to a con. (The last J-pop tour I've heard from was waaaay back and it was AI's tour but she only did that for her American debut [which never happened D:] ) Any reason why more J-rock bands are doing this more than J-pop acts?

^

can someone verify if the Johnny's panel is really about JOHNNY'S ENT? Cuz if it's not that'd be.. awkward lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_%26_Associates

Woot! Good to know! But a face..icon to the panel if you will!!

It's been awhile that I've been keeping up when singles come out and even longer since I've really hardcore been into the fandom so it'll be great for catch-ups.

May I ask are you focusing on all groups? Like the older ones too?

hmm idk.. but so many international fans' purchases towards oricon can only be so much. From their recent fanmeeting, I heard they had to cancel because the place was only supposed to hold 400, but thousands of fans came. They probably do have a decent size fanbase in Japan, I'm just surprised they didn't change their style to something more popish?

^

Random thought x: Anyone notice more and more J-rock bands are touring Europe, US, and Latin America.. does this help them gain more exposure in Japan if they do this..? I know it's not J-pop related, but J-pop artists don't really do this unless they're invited to a con. (The last J-pop tour I've heard from was waaaay back and it was AI's tour but she only did that for her American debut [which never happened D:] ) Any reason why more J-rock bands are doing this more than J-pop acts?

Woot! Good to know! But a face..icon to the panel if you will!!

It's been awhile that I've been keeping up when singles come out and even longer since I've really hardcore been into the fandom so it'll be great for catch-ups.

May I ask are you focusing on all groups? Like the older ones too?

^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_%26_Associates

thanks (:

I had no idea they were called that too x: *what a noob* yeah I srsly need to go to that panel to learn more about them ^^;

will you be at the panel too? ^^

Wait, no one in this thread about boybands in the Japanese culture part of this board know about the biggest Japanee boyband producing mogul of Japan? :blink:
Wait, no one in this thread about boybands in the Japanese culture part of this board know about the biggest Japanee boyband producing mogul of Japan? :blink:

And to step back, since I can't edit, I see that what I said could be seen as harsh and it's not meant to{though I still stand by it}! I was just generally upset/pissed someone would ask that when you've only talked to to members in this thread. Just a page earlier we were talking about KAT-TUN and Arash, both JE talents!!{I mean we do have 11 pages}. We talk about all boybands here JE, Pony Canyon label ones, Koreans, Taiwanese. I don't mean to sound harsh because it's always great to have new people talk in the thread just we don't always talk about JE's just so you know! LOL sometimes we even talk about girl groups or even on the further off chance Western boybands. :blink:

Wait, no one in this thread about boybands in the Japanese culture part of this board know about the biggest Japanee boyband producing mogul of Japan? :lol:
Wait, no one in this thread about boybands in the Japanese culture part of this board know about the biggest Japanee boyband producing mogul of Japan? :lol:

It's really not that big of a deal. Lambogirl isn't really a Johnny's fan, so it's completely reasonable for her not to know the name of the actual company. In fact, in Japan (where I happen to live), I think many people don't know that the company is actually called Johnny's & Associates. It's just "Johnny's". Honestly, the US fans are probably more aware of the full name than the Japanese fans are. It's not as if people know the names of the record companies of all of their favorite artists anyway. They just enjoy the music. And there's nothing wrong with this. I probably wouldn't know the name either if I didn't happen to pass by the Johnny's & Associates building everytime I go shopping in downtown Akasaka (I live nearby).

Greygula- Sorry for the absence. I got engaged/paper-married and have been busy wedding planning. I need to go to the States next week to meet my in-laws and plan the stateside wedding (we're doing the Japan wedding in Okinawa), but I will be at the con with my husband for two of the days. Been so busy, I turned down a bunch of invites to see additional concerts, though I hope I do get to see the Tegomass concert. I totally hope I finally get to meet you this year at the con though.

It's really not that big of a deal. Lambogirl isn't really a Johnny's fan, so it's completely reasonable for her not to know the name of the actual company. In fact, in Japan (where I happen to live), I think many people don't know that the company is actually called Johnny's & Associates. It's just "Johnny's". Honestly, the US fans are probably more aware of the full name than the Japanese fans are. It's not as if people know the names of the record companies of all of their favorite artists anyway. They just enjoy the music. And there's nothing wrong with this. I probably wouldn't know the name either if I didn't happen to pass by the Johnny's & Associates building everytime I go shopping in downtown Akasaka (I live nearby).

Edited by Ladymercury

Eh, it's all in the past!

Anyways back on topic and to get this thing moving, especially since we only have a few days till Otakon I'd thought I'd post some video links.

Tegomass---Tanabata Matsuri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofVijsFbXX8

Personally I love them and I get this is their thing as a duo but idk it poors me and I think that they have better vocals then the range this song allows.

Exile--- Someday

I mean sounds like a vocally song well Jpop song with R&B influence so like yeah I have no firm opinion of love or hate either way. But also still way to many freaking people now and this is coming from someone who does listen to Super Junior who has more members!

Arashi---Everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrnJhLQ1z8

Lol it just sounds so Arashi to me and I do like it more than the last single but I just...I know how immensely popular but with no tie ins other than a commercial for this song I just can't believe the first day sales they had.

Tohoshinki--- Stand by U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j39LvDIbNY

For me the best vocals on this list but the song just seems more like an album filler or b-side and the beat reminds me of some R&B song from when I was like in middle school.

BigBang---Gara Gara GO!!

Now I am by no means a Big Bang hater but I just don't like this so much idk if it's their accents or what...but I like it waaaaaaaayy better than My Heaven.

DA PUMP---Summer Rider[/u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdRz-E6uOlQ

Randomly I don't even listen to DA PUMP but this is really a catchy summer song to me..might be my face on the list O.o

Ok wow lol I think that's the most recent JPOP releases..or soon to be released. If I posted some before I am sorry! What's everyone else's opinions?

@lambogirl

I think Jasmine has a beautiful voice but I agree with someone at arama that she sounds{alot because of the song not vocally} like your average j-R&B singer, she needs that more defining song.

Edited by greygula

I just realised, I only know what lambogirl looks like...how will we all find each other even if we are going to the same panel?

shiro would obviously be the only guy at the panel anyways XD maybe haha. I've met Shiro before I'll point him out for you^^

um.. hold a sign or something? lol.

wow I didn't know DA PUMP was still active @___@ that is a pretty catchy song :3 I usually love their songs anyway.

speaking of new releases..

omg Lead ♥

Lead- ギラギラRomantic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUkgVY24HmQ

@___@ Keita improved so much he was like the weakest vocal in the group before.. they changed thier style so much o_O but from what I see each year Lead seems to follow whatever is popular anyway.

oh gawd pedobear alert with all the lil girls in that PV x:

omg Lead ♥

Lead- ギラギラRomantic

Also my in-con schedule if anyone wants to find/stalk me

Friday:

10:15-11:15-{Panel 1}Animyu (Anime Musicals)

11:30-1:00-{Panel 2}Misako Rocks! A Japanese American Artist

12:45-1:45-{Panel 5}Leiji Matsumoto

3:00-4:00-{Panel 4}Opening Ceremonies

6:15-7:15-{Panel 2}Gaijin in Japan [We'll actually be in this same panel room for 4 consecutive panels]

7:30-8:30-{Panel 2}Oishii: A Cooking Panel

8:45-9:45-{Panel 2}Ins and Outs of Japanese Dramas

10:00-11:00-{Panel 2}Johnny's World: A Look Into Johnny's and Associates

11:00-12:00-{Video 6}Romeo X Juliet

Saturday:

9:00-10:00-{Panel 2}Anime, Lost in Translation

11:30-12:30-{Panel 5}Women of the Floating World: Geisha and Oiran

12:45-1:45-{Panel 5}The World of Sailor Moon

3:30-6:00-{Main Events Hall}Kanon Wakeshima concert [it's not all the concert, it's seating, concert, and signing. We'll likely line up early for this as well]

7:00-11:00-{First Marina Arena}Masquerade

Sunday:

9:00-10:00-{Panel 5}Steampunk Fashion and Gadgetry

12:00-1:30-{Autograph 3}Mary Elizabeth McGynn Autograph signing

1:30-2:30-{Main Events Hall}Naomi Tamura concert [i think I forgot to check seating but just an additional half hour at the front I'd guess]

3:00-4:00-{Panel 4}Con Feedback

Any other time I'm in the Dealer Room, Artist Alley or chillin at my hotel room.

shiro would obviously be the only guy at the panel anyways XD maybe haha.

Indeed we do. Did you have the girl with the leak in your icon? Even if you didn't I'm just confusing icons, not names ^_^ Good to see everyone is posting again!

omg Lead ♥

Lead- ギラギラRomantic

LOL oh my...IDK if it's because they are dressing like "big girls" or if the "big girls" dress like little girls

Edited by lambogirl

Ah! My bad I think I worded it wrong. I meant to say I don't if it's creepy because they are little girls dressed as big girls or is it creepy that in regular society big girls dress like little girls.

:{ Well you know where else to catch me!

Indeed we do. Did you have the girl with the leak in your icon? Even if you didn't I'm just confusing icons, not names :D Good to see everyone is posting again!
shiro would obviously be the only guy at the panel anyways XD maybe haha. I've met Shiro before I'll point him out for you^^

um.. hold a sign or something? lol.

wow I didn't know DA PUMP was still active @___@ that is a pretty catchy song :3 I usually love their songs anyway.

Does anyone want to meet up on Thursday at some point?

Anyone know of anyone looking for a room? My entire room just dropped out TODAY (all of them work related to :(...I really wish these people's bosses would die horribly painful deaths).

OMG Da Pump Reunited? I remember they retired a few years back didn't they? That's awesome that they're back.

@chen: lol nice XD

we talk about girlgroups in here too^^

@shiro: dang that sucks. you guys seem to have bad luck when it comes to rooms @_@ or maybe only for ota? I know I almost didn't get a room because passkey screwed up my reservation. -_- Try running posts up at cosplay forums or here. Goodluck^^

btw did you guys still wanna do the korean bbq after the panel.. cuz the JE panel ends at 11 pm o_o

Anyone know of anyone looking for a room? My entire room just dropped out TODAY (all of them work related to -_-...I really wish these people's bosses would die horribly painful deaths).

btw did you guys still wanna do the korean bbq after the panel.. cuz the JE panel ends at 11 pm o_o

@shiro: dang that sucks. you guys seem to have bad luck when it comes to rooms @_@ or maybe only for ota? I know I almost didn't get a room because passkey screwed up my reservation. -_- Try running posts up at cosplay forums or here. Goodluck^^

Anyone know of anyone looking for a room? My entire room just dropped out TODAY (all of them work related to -_-...I really wish these people's bosses would die horribly painful deaths).

My friend's have floor space avaible at the Holiday Inn if you are interested?

That sounds great. Normally KBBQ places are open LATE on fri and sat. (prob till 2 am) So I'm definately up for going there. We'll just have to split on a cab?

Unfortunately the condition for this room was upfront no refunds.....and I was assured by all these people that they were guarenteed to come so.....yeah. Well At least I have a nice open room -_-

We do talk about girl groups but seeing as their aren't so many in Japan it's kind of a slow moving topic, Korea on the other hand...

I was going to eat at California Tortilla that day between 4 and 6

Haha yeah not too many Japanese female groups but yes, Korean ones have too many. Back when I was Korean-fied there was FinKL, Baby VOX, SES, Diva, Chakra, Cleo and I recently started listen to Korean music again and it's just a bunch of new groups. Korean groups come and go so fast. Now there's Girls Generation, The Grace, Kara, Wonder Girls, SeeYa, Brown Eyed Girls.

I used to listen more to males than females though lol ><. Fly to the Sky, H.O.T., Shinhwa, YG Family...

Anyway uh...onto a topic... I duno I can't think of anything interesting to add X_X

Lol I have absolutely no idea who those are. -_- Shows how much into the K-pop scene I am.

Edited by chen86
Haha yeah not too many Japanese female groups but yes, Korean ones have too many. Back when I was Korean-fied there was FinKL, Baby VOX, SES, Diva, Chakra, Cleo and I recently started listen to Korean music again and it's just a bunch of new groups. Korean groups come and go so fast. Now there's Girls Generation, The Grace, Kara, Wonder Girls, SeeYa, Brown Eyed Girls.

I used to listen more to males than females though lol ><. Fly to the Sky, H.O.T., Shinhwa, YG Family...

Anyway uh...onto a topic... I duno I can't think of anything interesting to add X_X

And T-ara, 2NE1, 4minute, Davichi, After School, possible another SM girl group this year, lambo help me out I know I am missing some.....but this is the cycle in Korea give it a year or two and we'll get a crap load of boybands and we'll only have like 6 left if that.

Is that why it's so surprising that Shinhwa has been around for so long? Still my fave K-Band aside from DBSK and Suju

IDK I think Shinhwa wanted to stay together. Where I think alot of other boygroups of their time and before are still friends felt the need to experiment/try on their own..or their contract was finished and wasn't renewed and no one would pick them up.

4mintue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAAfW9PvkrQ

2NE1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-Z3RBR_84

T-ara&possible SM group{not yet debuted}

DaVichi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p61zgwi16VY

After School

GIANT WTF ON ME. I forgot Jewlery!!!!!!! Who is older than the other girls you named but younger than the old school ones

With the two new girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrYZ39mhOQY

With the old girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNZUk-62pAc

IDK I think Shinhwa wanted to stay together. Where I think alot of other boygroups of their time and before are still friends felt the need to experiment/try on their own..or their contract was finished and wasn't renewed and no one would pick them up.

4mintue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAAfW9PvkrQ

2NE1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-Z3RBR_84

T-ara&possible SM group{not yet debuted}

DaVichi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p61zgwi16VY

After School

GIANT WTF ON ME. I forgot Jewlery!!!!!!! Who is older than the other girls you named but younger than the old school ones

With the two new girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrYZ39mhOQY

With the old girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNZUk-62pAc

But that's what's great about them. They all still do their own solo stuff, but they also come back to make albums as a group. The only other K-Group I can think of that is that close is DBSK.

But that's what's great about them. They all still do their own solo stuff, but they also come back to make albums as a group. The only other K-Group I can think of that is that close is DBSK.

Haha yeah, I remember Jewelry...didn't listen to them much, they were still pretty new when I stopped listening to K-pop.

I still refuse to listen to DBSK....still can't get over the fact that this dude I saw everyday is now some international star XD. Although from what I hear, he is kinda the least popular one. But all of them are pretty popular.

If I remember, there was something about a company taking Shinhwa but without Andy and they wanted all 6.