I still remember the good old days (like, say, three or four years ago) when I was your typical, generic con goer. Single, strange and happily unattached. Now that my situation is a bit different, I'm wondering...

How many other people attending Otakon are married and/or have kids? I'm married with a little boy and another baby on the way. Just wanting to know if I really am a walking oxymoron!

I drag my mom along to help run the green room, but other than that I fly solo. My whole family goes to Shore Leave, however.

I can think of at least four families who all staff Otakon together.

It'll just be me and my 22 year old daughter attending Otakon...

However, we've taken the whole family to work Sakura-Con every year from Baka-Con '99 to SC 2008. (The first year, 1998, I worked but didn't actually attend the con.) I remember my youngest back in SC 2000 sitting on my back in a carrier... and that little three year old was shouting out the names of all the characters in the Opening Ceremonies video so loudly that throughout the entire room people were hearing her and laughing! :)

Back then, bringing babies to an anime con was a bit of an anomily, but now that all the kids who attended back then are now having kids, it's getting pretty common throughout the conventions. ^.^b

Just remember to pace yourself so that the kids won't get overstimulated. Don't schedule too tightly and take breaks every now and then. They'll be happier and so will you. :unsure:

peace

I still remember the good old days (like, say, three or four years ago) when I was your typical, generic con goer. Single, strange and happily unattached. Now that my situation is a bit different, I'm wondering...

How many other people attending Otakon are married and/or have kids? I'm married with a little boy and another baby on the way. Just wanting to know if I really am a walking oxymoron!

Hm, let's see. The first year my son and I went to Otakon was 2003. He was 11 at the time and a big Pokemon/DBZ fan. My anime of choice at the time was Inuyasha. The next year was my first year as a Gofer and this year will be his first year as a Gofer. The tradition continues. :unsure:

Does coming from an Otaku family count in this post? Because for as long as I can remember, my parents (and anybody on both ends that were important) exposed both me and my sister to anime at a young age. Heck, Japanese culture in general. Ah~ Waking up and watching Kamen Rider before realizing that you are late for school, and scampering off. :rolleyes: Ah a refreshing look at childhood once more~<3 >3 Oh! and I dragged my dad to Otakon one year because he had to watch over my because i was still in chemo. Ah, good times when you see your father truely experience an anime convention.

I took my son when he was 2 or 3 months old to a con I was staffing at. It was kinda fun to run people down with his stroller. However, since then I haven't taken him since, now he can understand what people are saying around him, and the fact that he'd get so hyper I'd be drug from one side of the building to the other.

Oddly, I've never dated someone who was that into anime.

(and congrats Moon. My mom's coming up on the end of her first full year post treatment free. :> )

Edited by evilrob

My parents used to go to cons with my sister and I when we were very, very young. I try to get them to go every year now, but they politely decline. :D

Now it's my sister, my boyfriend of 5 1/2 years, and usually a friend who all go with us. I can't imagine ever going to a con without my sister!

My kids have been coming to Otakon for years, and help, although they're not officially staff.

Their first Otakon was with both of them in diapers, and I've seen a lot of parents bring their infants and toddlers, often dressed as Ash Ketchum or some other cute anime creature.

As they get older, you can explore all the neat stuff with them, like the Otachan, which has activities and workshops for elementary age kids.

All my family is back in Hawaii, but it was my brother who brought me back to anime with City Hunter. My older sister came to an Otakon once, though. That was fun.

I did see one father/son team that thoroughly delighted me, though -- several years ago. Dad was dressed as adult!Link and his five year old son was dressed as child!Link. It made me smile.

I was always jealous of those kids who had parents who liked anime. When I was younger my parents thought anime was a bad influence on me because it was violent, sexual, and they thought it was stupid. They did take me to my first Otakon when I was 18, and I've been attending ever since. They make fun of me for still attending, and ask often when I'm going to grow up.

Who wants to grow up? I am gonna be one of those perverted old ladies (no offense!) that I look at now (especially at yaoi related panels) and think, "That is so going to be me in 20 years!" ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

My parents won't be attending Otakon with me but I'm pretty sure they are the reason I watch anime and other related things.

My mom used to watch the mandarin dubbed version of Astro Boy and when I was a kid, she introduced me to that show along with other shows. My parents also watch a lot of C-dramas, J-dramas, and K-Dramas and now I have started watching them (Hana Kimi, Kurosagi, Kisarazu Cat's Eye).

My brother who is 4, often watches Crayon Shin-chan (which is not quite appropriate for him :unsure:)

By next year's summer con season I'll be married. No kids are in the picture right now but we know they will be someday. I'd love to have a fun otaku family...make costumes for everyone...start our own Rock Band.

I was born into a Disney family. So far I've been to Disney World more times then I've been to anime cons. Actually...I still am a big Disney fan even though that was sort of like my gateway drug into anime. I've been guiding my little sister into anime as well. I know what she can and can't watch without upsetting our mother. I took her to her first con as a graduation gift (she's going to keep attending that con with us in the years to come) and we plan to take her with us to her first Otakon when she graduates high school.

With my kids I'd probably do something similar. I start with the Disney...make sure they get exposed to the classic movies and toon and gradually watch anime with them and play games with them. Especially music-based games (My family is very musical. My fiance is very musical. I hope the kids turn out musical). When we feel they've reached a good age we'll start going to cons. :D